2014-08-30 03:51:41

Hi all,
So, I've been fittling with various IF platforms as of late, trying to see which would be the best for either creating a gamebook with variables for various stats and attributes, and changing thm if the user A. Has an item and uses it. B. They hit a certain page and one changes accordingly, etc.
Quest seems like it would be feezable to do this, as I also like the ideas of both embedding music into my pages and changing stuff randomly. While I don't mind learning QuestScript, since Quest allows the user to not code certain elements I'd like to code as least as possible.
Quest also has the advantage that if I publish my game, I could also publish it to the web and optionally make it available as an app for mobile devices.
I've also thought about Adrift, a system where you think about the design of the game and how the Adrift tools such as events, characters, etc form to create a game.
Has anyone thought about this? The Darkgrew creater I don't think is very sefisticated, E.G. no randomizing, no items, etc.

2014-08-30 07:02:26

Quest has a very friendly interface when it detects JAWS is loaded. You will not need to code basic object and room properties, but you'll have to do it with randomization, world model change according to user choices.

What about Inform? It requires a lot of learning and coding even on Inform 7 which has a natural language similar to English sentences, but is very flexible and the generated games, both for Glulx and Z virtual machines, can be played on a considerable number of platforms including Windows, Mac, GNU/Linux, web browsers, Android, iOS, palm and many currently unused operating systems like MS-DOS and RISC OS.
Adrift is a commercial language whose IDE is easy to use, but I could'nt play games generated with this system using JAWS. Unless I didn't realize of an important setting, this system's interpreter seems to be inaccessible.

Sorry for my bad English. I'm from Argentina and my level speaking this language is low.

2014-08-30 10:31:20

Adrift is not accessible to blind people.

2014-08-30 15:46:37

Well, I'm downloading the new version of Inform to see how it looks on the Mac.

2014-08-30 16:03:07

Adrift is accessible for blind people. There is an addon for NVDA, or you can ues your screenreader's virtual cursor or object navigation to read the window.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2014-08-30 16:20:11

if I were to do this, I'd use Inform 7.  You get a ridiculous amount of stuff for free that I've not seen elsewhere.  If it's an RPG, going and learning Inform 6 might be better--but this is more programming rather than describing, and is a c-like language as opposed to an essay-like language.
The built-in I7 interpreter isn't accessible, but you can easily launch the games in other interpreters for testing; I don't remember how I did it, but I actually got the I7 IDE to launch Frotz TTS back in the day.  The error reporting is fantastic, and, unless you know programming, it's probably what you want.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2014-08-30 20:19:17

Where is the ADRIFT addon for NVDA, and which version is it foor? Is it version 4 or 5? I have not messed with ADRIFT, but I know that Inform 7 (6G60) or Python should suitt what you want.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2014-09-04 03:58:07

Well, I couldn't find nvda add on for adrift though.

2015-11-30 08:10:53

People, I found an NVDA addon to accessing an every IF interpreters for  NVDA.
http://***/Add-Ons/IfInterpreters-1.1.nvda-addon

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2015-12-02 07:29:23 (edited by Orin 2015-12-02 07:30:28)

That is just for playing, not developing.
If anybody can tell me how to tell the I7 ide to launch an accessible interpreter on the Mac, such as Spatterlight, that'd be great.
Unfortunately, Mac users no longer have a completely accessible interpreter. Zoom is abandonware, and Gargoil, which comes highly recommended, is completely inaccessible.

2015-12-02 19:45:52 (edited by Figment 2015-12-02 19:47:25)

You might find this useful, it's a review of five interactive fiction authoring systems. Unfortunately it's about two years old, so some of what it says may be out of date.

http://www.getmewriting.com/interactive … g-tools-2/