2015-11-01 11:48:10

Well before I end up being late again, here is monthly chat November, starting up afresh.
I noticed octorber got somewhat missed for the last couple of weeks which is not good.
For anyone knew to this strange ritual, basically the point is to have a topic for rambling about anything that you might wish to ramble about. What's going on in your life, what your reading/playing/watching at the moment, the perturbations of university/work/school/whatever else.

Nothing specific, just a casual chinwag.

Well as usual, I get to start. It's an unfare system I agree, but it's only unfare to people who are not! me, so I see no point in changing it, sorry about that.

there! explanations and political realism, all on a Sunday morning big_smile.

As you might expect I've not been around lately due to my lady. She's moving in tomorrow for a couple of weeks to see how things go, and I'm ---- rather nurvous actually.

Last Saturday we met up for a vocal performance workshop in London  where we did "one hand, one heart" from Westside story, which was amazing, and actually rather scary.

It's odd, I wondered sinse as we've been communicating at a distance for such a while whether things between us would be the same, however if anything they were even more intensive, despite having to wait fourty minutes in the rain for a taxi which didn't turn up and then having to literally leg it for my train afterwards.

In other news, I've now finally started watching Angel.
I'll say Angel as a main character isn't as dull as I'd have expected, though as with Buffy, this is mostly due to the people around him, sinse Cordelia is both utterly vial, and quite hilarious while Doyle, who I initially dismissed as a bit of a gymmicky none entity is getting the weden treatment and turning into quite an interesting chap, particularly now that we're learning more generally about demons. My brother also said he was a fan of the series due to the main badguys being the evil law firm big_smile.

On the other hand, I don't like the feeling that on occasion Angel is trying a little too hard to be utterly gritty, what with domestic violence, drugs, street crime where characters litterally say "If you scream nobody takes notice in La"

It's not that I mind those sorts of things intrinsically, it's just that rather as Torchwood did at the start of it's run, it feels like Angel is trying a bit too! hard, indeed Jo Ford, one of my favourite Doctor who reviewers really dislikes torchwood and absolutely hates Angel, despite being a major buffy fan and writing some great buffy reviews, and I believe I can see why.
It'll be interesting to see where the series goes.

Speaking of Torchwood, Big finish have started on the torchwood audio dramas, which are amazing!

I'm afraid I've not been playing much game wise, due to general mental distraction, I really need to rinstall vipmud and some other programs on this machine, though as I said that's not a major priority at the second.

Well that's me, what's everyone else up to?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-11-01 13:51:29

Best of luck to you and your lady, Dark.  I imagine it is nervewracking, but that's a good thing.  It just means you care.  Wishing you all the best.

As for me, I discovered Swamp, UMart, and Avalon RPG, so that's kept me busy.
I read a couple of horror classics, "Dracula" and "The lady in White."  I also participated in my first Dewey's Readathon, which is a twice-yearly event that brings together readers from all over the world.  Books are read, blogs are posted, and fun is had by all.  I really enjoyed it.
I'm in a "hurry up and wait" pattern right now, as I hope to start my own business next year, and I'm waiting on word of a scholarship for the school I want to attend.
And I think i'll stop there, as it's early and I've made about sixty-five typos in trying to write these short paragraphs. :-)

2015-11-01 15:24:26

Dark, just be careful not to turn into a couch potato.  big_smile  The danger in finding a good TV show, is that it's that much harder to get other things done.  haha.

Mirage, what is the business you're trying to start?

Jennifer and I just got back from a 2-day trip to Ohio to visit the Cincinnati Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired.  They held a workshop specifically to teach people who to play swamp, and one of their employees (Kelly) had told me about it via email.  Being only a bit more than 4 hours away, I asked if I could drop by during the workshop and maybe help with a few game related things they were trying to solve.   They agreed and we drove down.

I brought a custom server with me, so that the workshop could take place on a private server.  That let people learn without being distracted by the normal Swamp players, plus allowed Kelly to have the experience customized.  For example, people could be handed equipment quickly without needing to spend time finding it, the amount of zombies could be lowered, and levels could be handed out so that they could run missions and things.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2015-11-01 15:38:28

@mirage thanks, yes, nurve wracking is about the size of it, but yes, I care, ---- a lot, so much it frightens me, indeed I almost hope the intensity slackens off a bit sinse right now it's near impossible to think about anything else!

@Aprone, that workshop sounds really awesome! I've always liked the idea of actual events surrounding audiogames, particularly using existing games. I recall Richard and Sander  once did one with an experimental game called Dima, but it was a one off thing and dima was unfortunately only playable with that specific equipment they had at the time.
Of course that was in the days where if you wanted a game to use a gps, you had to build the hardware yourself.

Swamp however is definitely a worthy game for the trile, and I hope it gets lots of new players. Irritatingly my mouse isn't working. I don't know whether something has happened to the sensor or not, but even though my wireless usb keyboard gets far more use it looks like I'll need a new mouse before playing swamp again which is mildly irritating.

Ironically, one useful fact about not being able to see particularly well, is that my tv watching time is limited sinse watching a tv program takes considerably more effort, usually three hours is my upper limit, ---- reading on the other hand however big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-11-01 16:21:00

@Dark
Just enjoy this "driven to distraction" phase for all its worth.  The beautiful thing about life sometimes is all its phases.

@Aprone
I'm going to become a life coach.  It would be nice if I could just help people and not concern myself with the rest of it, but you have to develop an online presence, sort out all the legal financial businessy stuff, etc.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to it, because I think I have a lot to offer in this arena.  Assuming health cooperates, I'll be attending a coaching school early next year.

2015-11-01 17:00:01

Mirage, now that you mention your life coach plan, I do remember reading that somewhere.  Hopefully the overhead of running your business doesn't get in the way too much of actually doing the "helping" part you enjoy.

Dark, I was pretty excited about the workshop too.  As it turns out, 6+ hours is not very long to teach people how to play.  It seemed that at every corner there were those moments when you wonder if you should stop everyone to explain just 1 more thing.  These players had never used a mouse to play a game (from what I understand), so things had to be explained even down to that level, even if the individual parts didn't require much time.  It all added up fast!

I wore my Swamp T-shirt and my Swamp "Field kit" backpack, but no one noticed!  ROFL!  Kidding of course, one of the sighted employees did.  big_smile  Having those was more for my own amusement than anything else.

Oh, I did bring along the only tactile map that turned out, out of several attempts made in the past few weeks.  I still haven't perfected the process, so I'm not going to be mass producing those any time soon.  Kelly had embossed paper versions also, so everyone got to feel their way around a physical map as they played the game.  I think it helped.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-11-01 20:16:43

I am become Sloth, destroyer of Hope.

(the Swamp workshop reminds me that I miss arcades even though they were usually horrible for me--I couldn't exactly get as close to the screen as usual, there was so much background noise, and I'm use to a D-pad rather than a stick... and yet...)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2015-11-01 21:25:02

That workshop idea is so cool!  I wish I'd been there!
I need that tactile map too.  I am terrible at mapping things in my head. :-)

2015-11-01 21:56:55

@Cae Sloth distroyer of hope? I beg to differ, and if you don't believe me check out This little song on the subject.

I agree with you about lack of arcades though, particularly sinse back in the days of arcades you could have experiences with arcade games much different to those on a console, I remember being glued to the various street fighter games, as well as killer instinct, though on the rare occasions I actually played rather than watched I usually did the walkalong beatemups like turtles and double dragon. Actually an audio games type convention with lots of machines running different games and a swamp server would be amazing, though sadly difficult to organize. I've sometimes considered going to the Uk tech show Site village to show games off, though the charge for a stand there is unfortunately rather higher than Richard and Sander would go for.

@Aprone,yep, picking up swamp isn't easy, though with the custome server I'd imagine it helped people get into the game. Indeed you or someone else might consider a sort of target range type campaign script basically where you just walked around an enclosed area shooting at static targits with the mouse to get people into the very very basic methods of the game, ---- though actually thinking about it a weapons range might even be useful.

Also, when will this official swamp merchandise be available to the public? big_smile.

Mirage wrote:

the beautiful
thing about life sometimes is all its phases

Hmmm, I'm not sure on that one, sinse some phases are anything but beautiful, but i certainly do enjoy this, indeed if people will allow me a moment of intensive slush, it's everything I've ever wanted, I literally can't believe it's happened.

2015-11-01 22:28:19

Dark, is the merchandise you're referring to, the tactile map?  I won't have an answer to that until I can figure out how in the heck to get a good plastic casting from the mold.  Heating up so much plastic, pouring it all into the mold before it begins to cool, and then getting it to sink into the details without forming air bubbles is quite a task.

If you meant the shirt and backpack, those have been online for a while actually.  http://aprone.spreadshirt.com/
All I did was upload Swamp art to the website and they print it onto the products.  Every now and then people misunderstand and think I'm somehow making the shirts in my basement or something, haha.  I'm not sure I would trust any shirt I was making by hand.  big_smile

P.S.
Do you know how much the tech show tables run?  I've been thinking about trying to do something like that at one of these regional or national gatherings for the visually impaired.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-11-02 16:02:38

Hi Aprone.

It was the shirt and backpack I was thinking of Swamp wise, I must've missed the actual merchandise being available, or else I forgot, but I'll admit I'm not actually in a particularly cognicent state at the moment.

Other tech shows I'm not sure about, but sight village, the Uk major one charge I believe about £300 for the day, that's roughly 500 usd, which is waaaay more than I can go to, and also why no audio game devs tend to be at these places, indeed the only audio game developer who has any exposure in this country is Azabat, mostly because I think their target audience of blind none computer users so readily match the rnib's target audience of over sixties who will leave them money in their will, though personally even as far as card/word/puzzle games go I'm afraid I'm not impressed with azabat's stuff at all, and of  course there are lots more accessible game genres out there.

2015-11-02 16:24:29

Huh, that shirt discussion reminds me that my dad bought a T-shirt company, somewhy. I assume the owners sold it for cheap and the part of him that thinks he can win at the stock market could not stand to pass it up. It's been a while since the last 10-second-or-less conversation about whether or not the simple "folding shirts and putting them on shelves/in boxes/whatever" jobs are accessible, so I don't even remember how that went.

(But I don't wanna be slothy~! D:

)
看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2015-11-03 23:27:16

Hi everyone. cool stuff! I'm still waiting to be able to buy a Seamonkey maybe one day they will be in stock. I'm finishing up my last year of undergrad school I will have my Bachelors in Psychology next May. I am planning on being a therapist or some sort of counselor for kids. Not too much else going on here. A live Swamp event sounds really cool! I always wanted to go to an audio game event. Anyone remember Nick Arcade? Maybe in the right place and time we could do that but with audio games! I just brought tickets for Mockingjay Part2 the theaters near me have audio description for every movie so I'm really excited for that. Not much else going on here.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2015-11-03 23:46:02

Nick Arcade! I was afraid the world had forgotten! big_smile

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2015-11-04 03:12:04

A little late, but happy NaNoWriMo everyone! Get writing, immediately! Hmm, I wonder if there's any kind of coding equivalent to NaNoWriMo.
*schemes*
8590 words here, and although I doubt I'll hit the 50000 mark, it's still fun to try!

Go, balloons. I don't see anything happening. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Stand by, confetti. Keep coming, balloons. More balloons. Bring them. Balloons, balloons, balloons! More balloons. Tons of them. Bring them down. Let them all come. No confetti. No confetti yet. No confetti. All right. Go, balloons.

2015-11-04 17:42:37

There is NaNoGenMo, where participants are supposed to develop a program to write 50k words in a month. smile

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2015-11-05 00:30:49

Hello,
@aprone: that workshop sounds really awesome! I didn't know there was also merchandise available.
As for arcades, well, I love them. I agree it's not the same as it was in the 90's, but there are still arcades around. In fact one of my local arcades has a working Turtles machine! However the best time was when this particular arcade had a section with games like final fight, r-type and such which were all 10 p to play. Yep, it was unheard of even at that time, 10 p because most of the other games were a pound. The section was open for around a year.
Another one of the local arcades has a working, moving outrun machine this is a racing game from the 80's. At least I think it does, I haven't been there for a while and anything could change.
A game I like to play which is quite new, is the pac-man smash air hockey that keeps on firing pucks onto the table and can be very fun especially if you are playing in a team of four.

2015-11-05 22:00:11

When I was in LA I think it was around one of the peers they had an arcade or 2 and I remember people were going crazy on DDR. They are still around in amusement parks and peers and boardwalks and such. If you like games and the idea of video games and such you should read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. In this book there is a sort of vertual reality gaming world and the maker of this world is dieing but before he dies he creates a large treasure hunt in his gaming world. Now this gaming world has tuns and tuns of gaming planits and so many different arieas. One such planit is an intire plannit of arcades. The person that wins this scavinger hunt gets his whole fortion + the game world. There is also an evil power hungry corperation that wants to find win this fortion so they can start charging for the free vertual world. This book has so many refferences to games, and movies so many things. It's a great book!

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2015-11-06 01:30:32

Remember, remember...
the fifth of November...

Go, balloons. I don't see anything happening. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Stand by, confetti. Keep coming, balloons. More balloons. Bring them. Balloons, balloons, balloons! More balloons. Tons of them. Bring them down. Let them all come. No confetti. No confetti yet. No confetti. All right. Go, balloons.

2015-11-06 01:42:19

I have been busy for the last week. Lots of school work. Geography is the most I'm getting in. I don't know why the teachers even bother to teach most of the stuff we won't use our entire life. But that's for another post. Anyway this weekend was full of guists plus a party I was invited to. Before I ramble on I am currently playing games from Choice of Games, their games are very accessible and I would recommend it to any who likes text adventures.

Pics or it didn’t happen

2015-11-13 15:27:57

Well yes I have been horribly absent and built up a massive backlog of e-mail, mostly because my lady and I have been pretty much inseparable for the last two weeks. She has to head back to the states, but I'll be going out there sooner than later, indeed I might be spending crimbo out there which will be fun.

To say it went well is something of an understatement.

I do appologise for rather neglecting all my games related duties, and I'll try and make up for things, assuming that I can actually get my mind back into my skull correctly big_smile.

Oh, and gamesmaster, I agree, the Cog and Hg stuff is amazing, I just wish I had the mental energy to play more of them, I've done several, butt unfortunately got rather distracted of late. Actually I might introduce my lady to those. She has a windows phone but the speech is less than efficient, and she'll probably have to leave it here anyway, so we've talked about her getting an Iphone, and playing the Cog and hg stuff might be a good way to get used to vo navigation.

2015-11-14 01:51:39

Aww, that makes me so happy for you, Dark!

2015-11-17 16:02:17

Well I thought I should post more in this topic as I have got some news to share.
My lady has had to go back to the states, though as I said I'll be going out there soon enough, however I have been able to reclaim a little more of my skull.

I started playing Avalon mud on Sunday evening, actually at close to midnight waiting for a phone call from my lady to say she'd made it back to America okay (with all the goings on in Paris there have been some pretty major airport delays), and I'm loving the game thus far, actually it feels rather good to know that I can still get really involved with an online world as I have, sinse I was worrying I'd lost the capacity, though now things seem fairly settled between us and we've pretty much established that yes we can! live together, while the intensity of the feelings haven't changed I can at least be a little more tranquil about the future.

Either way, Avalon good! I actually wish i'd thought to try this one earlier, sinse I've known about it for years but always been a little wary for some reason, partly because of the rather wordy manuals, partly I suspect because of the payment options and whether the game would live up to it, and partly because of my own uncertainty around muds and combat sinse Avalon seems to have rather distinct combat mechanics that work a little differently from most muds, though i'll get more into that soon.

In other news, Paris is bloody awful, and what is scary is that my brother and his girlfriend were nearly there this weekend. They were deciding between Paris and Ampsterdam, but finished up in holland, though apparently they had some fun delays at the airport on Sunday. I also find the responses rather worrying, especially around the refugees, though i did agree with the chief commitioner of police this morning who was saying that while they will put in place security measures especially for large public events, they don't want to give the scuzbags involved what they want and develop a huge panic or turn the country into a police state.

In other news,this weekend we had probably the nicest accessibility solution I've ever seen!

When I'm at my parents, we quite often go to concerts. The theatre occasionally run a really nice sunday morning piano series where a pianist plays various things (usually clasical but sometimes rag time or jaz), and in the price you get coffee and a slice of cake.
Rather than tacling the crowded bar area where they serve the coffee with myself, my mum and two guide dogs, we'd go and sit down in the theatre itself and my mum would run off and grab stuff and bring it in.
Someone however complained that we were making noise. In fairness I am sure I know who this was,  a very miserable chap who sits behind us regularly,k ---- he complainsat everything! he complained on Sunday at korean pianist's accent, doubly miserable given that she was truly exceptional! even for a concert pianist.

However we know the theatre very well and they were bent on solving this situation peacefully, so in response have basically given myself, my mum and anyone else who wishes to come our own personal booth with coffee pot, table, extra cake and all sorts of nice stuff!

So methinks this attack by a grade one black belt winjer has actually been bennificial in a wonderfully twisted way big_smile.

Then again, complaining about the incredibly destracting noise of someone taking a drink of coffee inthe theatre can't beat the man who asked my mum to stop her dog wagging it's tale! big_smile.
This actually is looking to be a good month despite it feeling rather lonely without my lady (really it's like I have an arm missing), sinse next week I'm going to a concert celibrating the release of the new starwars featuring an orchestra playing music from all six previous films, with a choire to do duel of the fates and probably the theme from revenge of the sith as well, then I've got the Selston music festival to go and competitively sing in.

I also recently got news that a friend of mine has obtained tickets to the midnight premeare showing of the Force Awakens, which will be awesome! I did see the premeare showing of revenge of the sith back in the day which was nice (even though a three way light saber fight was broken up by a security guard who the entire cinema treated to a round of thee imperial march), however starting the new trilogy at midnight will be quite an experience, ---- hopefully the film will live up to it.