2008-09-04 11:37:51

Well, hopefully the chap from humanware should be here in a bit, and I'll be able to give the trecker a try. If it works as my brief look at sight village suggests it does, I think it'll be really handy for lots of things, but we'll see when I've had a long bash with it.

I'll let people know what I think when I've tried it.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-09-04 12:51:03

Thanks, I'll be most interested to hear how it goes.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-09-04 19:52:29

Well, I've now tried the thing out (in fact I'm now on the train home to my parents), as with lots of things, theres good and bad.

It's actual ability to track where I was going and mark specific places was pretty good, and it could give lots of reports of where i was going, which direction, even stuff like speed. acuracy depended on how many satellites were in range, but on average there seemed to be 7 or 8 around at any particular time, which gave a fairly good location rate.

I was also impressed at the amount of things already in it's database, ---- hotels, pubs, restaurants, even bank branches (which is a bit of a godsend sinse I'm always looking for a bank)). I'm especially looking forward to having it in unfamiliar locations.

Once I'd put in a route t a place, it did the job very bwell, though I'll have to practice with following it's directions, ---- it actually took me a route back to my flat I didn't recognize, so i got practice with it in an unfamiliar environment. My lack of spacial coordination got in the way slightly, ---- sinse it called a street with a slight turn right "streight on" where as my guts would've said I'd turned right, , ----- but the machine was deffinately good enough at picking me up when i went wrong that I'm fairly certain this will improve with practice. Even with people (including my dad), who've used sat navs in their cars, it's taken a while to trust the thing and get used to it's instructions.

That was all of the good stuff.

On the down side, while some of the speak keys and menue navigation was about what I was used to from using Hal, I wasn't impressed with the control system, which is one of those numeric keypads using letters on each number the way a mobile phone sends text. i'm fairly certain I could get used to this given time, but it struck me as a rather clumsy way around things. Also, while humanware sell bluetooth wireless keyboards, sinse the trecker's satellite pick up goes into the bluetooth end of the pda, you can't use one, and the chap wasn't certain whether or not plug in keyboards would work.

the reason i worry about this is because of what struck me as the main trouble with the trecker, ---- the search system for route destinations. you have to type in the street name using the number pad (not a nice proposition for someone like me who's got a liberal atitude to spelling), you can also brouse by catagory, eg, personal land marks entered by you, restaurants, pubs etc, but there are many entries in the list and no way of skipping through them, ---- or so the chap thought.

he did admit himself that while he demonstrates the treckers, he's not overly familiar with all their ins and outs, and is getting their usability chap, ---- who I met at sight village to ring me tomorrow so tht I can ask these questions of him.

My main worry is if i'm out with my friends, need to get back to the station, but then have to spend ages finding the route with the trecker, ---- that stil hasn't shaved off much time and I might as well have taxied.

That's why i want to speak to this chap, who not only works for humanware, but is visually impared himself and uses a trecker dayly.

also, sinse the software is being updated regularly, maybe the slowness of interface issues will be fixed in the future.

I'm especially hoping for plug in keyboards, sinse the pda part of things which does E-mail, web brousing, text file reading etc, I'm guessing would be a bit of a pest using a numeric keypad for text. That's just an extra though. it's really the Trecker I'm interested in, but if I'm paying that sort of money, i might as well get a functoning Pda out of it, ----- and apparently when not using the trecker, you can use a bluetooth keyboard.

so, the jury is stil out on this one, ---- though i was fairly pleased with it on a practical level, I'll want to know a bit more about the interface before I actually spend any dosh on the thing.

the useability person should be phoning me tomorrow, so I'll report back after I've had words with him.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-09-04 23:09:32

Actually a lot of the time you can have more than one bluetooth device connected, it just depends which services are enabled I believe. If it can only handle X amount of services at once it might have to disable the keyboard service in order to allow the bluetooth serial port service, though personally I would have thought disabling the bluetooth headset or something like that would be more use when you're using GPS.

As to the mobile phone style input, honestly it's a tricky thing. If you don't want to be carting about an external  keyboard there are very few options for entering information in. I believe sighted users use the touch screen for either handwriting recognition or an on screen keyboard, but neither of those is entirely practical for us as is. I believe "mobile speak pocket" uses a set up where you move a stylus on the screen and it announces which letter or whatever you're on, then you remove it when you find the one you want though this still seems awkward to me. I think it's a case of finding what the best option with limited space is. I also thought there was an option to use a braille style keyboard, but maybe I'm getting my devices mixed up since I've not actually used any of these.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-09-07 23:57:04

well keyboard wise, given that pda folding keyboards are fairly tiny, and I tend to cary around a shoulderbag with umbrella, ultracane, and mp3 player in anyway, I don't particularly object to carrying a keyboard. I did speak to the useability chap, and he said that it's actually possible to directly switch bluetooth output devices from the trecker itself, ----- though also it supported streight infra red keyboards which wouldn't take up the bluetooth output. Either of these options sounds good to me, andI'd certainly rather have a keyboard on hand if I'm writing e-mails, text documents and what not.

As to searching, it actually turns out that there are many much more efficient ways of destination searching with the trecker, sinse you can set a lot of parameters. For instance, you can tell the trecker to search for restaurants within 1 mile of your current location. apparently as well, you don't need to type in the entire address of a destination, just the first few letters, then tell the trecker to search for all entries starting with those letters in the current location, ----- which sounds much faster.

In november, the next software update is also going to include the ability to backtrack routes, so once you've walkd one way, you can tell it to reverse the other, which sounds pretty good. apparently the manual is on the bhumanware website, and I'm going to look over it, ---- though as you will guess, we've had problems with the wireless hub bit of the home hub here, hence the long absense.

2008-09-08 01:07:46

So much for BT's recent adverts about reliability eh? laugh.

The Trekker manual is on the web site at humanware.com indeed, I've flicked through it myself. If you're talking about writing emails etc though you'll need the "meistro with trekker" option, which will increase the price even more sadly. Myself I've just decided to get rid of my Pac Mate for an Asus EEE 901, which is bigger than a mainstream PDA would be but it's smaller than a Pac Mate and is a full Windows XP set up that I find quite nice.

cx2
-----

2008-09-08 02:01:30

Well, to be honest I wasn't planning on getting a pda, but if i'm getting the trecker anyway, i might as well have the meistro as well. While certainly I'll want my laptop for propper internet access, the Meistro might have it's uses now and again when I don't happen to have my laptop around. Certainly there have been times when hanging about at train stations (with their free wireless networks), that I could've done with something interesting to do, and as I said, if i can have a litle keyboard, all the better.

2008-09-08 02:32:37

Just depends how much the meistro is I suppose, if you get the two together. I know my EEE, which is substantially smaller than a normal laptop, was only

cx2
-----

2008-09-08 09:45:25

the meistro is an extra

2008-09-10 00:50:51

Ah that is indeed relatively reasonable for a VI product, the

cx2
-----

2008-09-10 04:17:31

No arguements on that score, i deffinately wish it was less, but unfortunately it's the usual story about vi product over pricing. The only good bit is that all software updates to the trecker are free, ----- as I believe are repairs to the pda itself.

they do have a cheaper product, the trecker breeze, which is