2008-08-29 12:57:06

There don't seem to be to many if any MMUs that I stay with for to long lately so I would like to learn how to write my own. Does anyone know where I can get info on how to do this? The only coding I did was in basic for the braille lites. so a source for beginners would be of some help. OK, I learned a little HTML as a sidenote. After I get done, if I finished it, do yall know of any server that would host it?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-08-30 02:05:46

If you are talking about "Moo" (mud object oriented), like Miriani or Humanity Moo then I can possibly help, since I am also learning MOO.  First off, you code on the server, not like in Visual Basic or C where you type code and then compile it, you enter the code into the server, usually line by line. They run on servers, and there are many, most people, including myself reccomend LambdaMoo server. A good place for hosting, free and paid is moocowpenguin.net . To learn Moo, here are a few sites:
1) Moo-cows.com: They have a mailing list, articles, tutorial links and much more
[Moo-cows links to the following 2 terrific sites]
http://www.fringenet.net/MOO/
http://www.hayseed.net/MOO/

Also MOO is quite different from BASIC, it's OOP (object oriented). It's based off of C and LISP. It's very different, in my opinion. For example, when you wanted to tell the user something in Basic you'd write:

Print "Hi, I am telling the user something"

In MOO, it's

player:tell("Hi, I am telling the user something")

It also is much more powerful then BASIC, and what it's best for: social interaction, as many of you enjoy in Miriani, such as communicators, stunning, etc. For most of those, you use socials. Personally, I like creating socials on the $player flags, but that isn't "proper", wink. Here is a quick example of telling player, and announcing.

player:tell("You, ", player.name," pick up an item");
player.location:announce(player.name, "picks up an item");

Of course you would have to make those verbs, but that was a quick example a basic function in BASIC and MOO. I'm sure those tutorials will be much more informational then I am.

From,
Ryan Smith
Head of RS Games
RS Games Website

2008-08-30 03:56:16

Sounds fun. I'll check those out and start aranging my ideas so that I know the exzack commands to look for. I don't think I would include PVP until I plan a few safe zones among other things. Do I have to include stunning comms and the like at first? Is there anyway I can test my ideas before putting it on the server? It sound almost like writing missions for lonewolf.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-08-30 03:59:20

You need to code it on the server, that I know of. You can always recycle it when you don't want it (or edit it).

From,
Ryan Smith
Head of RS Games
RS Games Website

2008-08-30 05:06:41

Just because it's on the server doesn't mean it's available to players though wink

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-08-30 14:11:42

How many players can I have connect to it? I know it saids that I can have two shell accounts what ever those are. Also, How can I best keep it from going over the 200MB Thing?

DropBox Referral

2008-08-30 16:31:58

Wel 200mb is quite large; I don't think you'll need to worry about that.

2008-08-31 00:56:40

Are there any code librarys that I can use? Like if I wanted a ship, then I would copy the code from the library and make the needed changes. I'm not planning on coppying from anyone elses hard work, but if there something that is being used by everyone that someone put for all to use?

DropBox Referral

2008-08-31 02:14:58

You mean something publicly available or open source, just like Lambda Moo itself seems to be. I'm not aware of such things, just clarifying that there is nothing wrong with using these things if they are available - it isn't that different to using the Lambda Moo base.

Actually through poking about I'm aware of a couple things for mush, but since mush is just not right when you want a decent amount of coded functionality it probably isn't any help. Mush is sort of 99% roleplay oriented, whereas moo is quite happy going either way as far as I can tell.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-08-31 16:58:42

Hmmm, It seems like it would require alot of code for what I am planning. Is there any code floating around that I can learn from? Would it be better for ne to try my hand at tads first? If I do this, would it be hard to port it over? I'm the type that has to type something and see what it does and I like to look at the code to see how things like ships and or rooms are done. In the game I'm wanting to creating a few spaceships along with sailing ships along with cars and trucks. I'm trying to create a world where just about anything is posible. A world much like ours, but different in a few ways.

DropBox Referral

2008-09-01 02:14:48

Unless it is specifically stated as open source, and then just credit it appropriately. I don't know but I would have imagined Lambda was an open source code base given the number of games using it right now.

Honestly if the code is on their web site it's as good as open source. The only reason Humanity suffered this to my understanding is that the culprit in question persuaded Mike to give him access to the server. Normal users can't steal the code.

cx2
-----

2008-09-01 04:08:06

Not to start a flame, [the culprit] begged to get wizard flags. It got so bad, that he directly copied code into his moo, without even modifying player:tell commands. Right, normal player's can't steal code. The culprit, has his way of getting what he wants, through force, begging, etc. I find it almost surprising what he has managed to take from people.  To get code, you can do a simple list [object] or [object:verb]. Also, the bigger problem is, Mike was not aware (under the impression he would help, which he didn't, the culprit has just a jerk), nor was the culprit going to give credit to the correct coder's, which were usually Mike. It was such a clone, that when Andy was playing his MOO, I asked (after seeing familiar commands, player:tell's, socials, etc.) did you buy a starship. (I assumed he was playing Humanity Moo since it's basically a clone). So, he didn't even have the respect for Mike and the other wizards to remove all the code he stole, (which would essentially give him room's with not many verbs or objects). The culprit has stolen code, not just from Humanity, but from others, some of the time, telling him he was the original programmer.

From,
Ryan Smith
Head of RS Games
RS Games Website

2008-09-01 05:51:57

I never said it was Mike's fault, just that with certain exceptions if the code is readily available... as in available to the public... it's probably fine to use if you attribute it properly.

The reasons for what happened on Humanity are both outside the scope of the discussion here really, and not for me to comment on. It isn't my place to do so since I'm not part of it, I was just trying to explain what to my understanding is acceptable.

cx2
-----

2008-09-01 15:06:06

I plan on giving credit where it is due. Surviver ey ryan? Anyway this seems to be one of those projects that will take months if not a few years. Is there any design issues that I should think about? How about connection ports, like port 80?

DropBox Referral

2008-09-01 16:30:22

Hi,
Yes, well programming MOO's does take awhile, Humanity has been being coded since February. I am not really sure about connection ports, I don't think it really matter's.

From,
Ryan Smith
Head of RS Games
RS Games Website

2008-09-01 23:06:08

Port 80 is probably not a good choice, that's the standard port for HTTP. I think more often than not mud/moo games seem to use 4000, though almost all ones I've seen use a 4 digit port.

cx2
-----

2008-09-02 12:55:57

I noticed the four digit thing myself. Can the port only handle one connection and or use at a time? I was wanting to use a port that would already be open for most.

DropBox Referral

2008-09-03 00:58:03

You can obviously have more than one player connected to the port, but you can't actually have more than one type of service using the port. For example you can't have say two moos on the same port at the same address, or have a moo and an email server. The server has to know which software the port is being used for.

cx2
-----

2008-09-03 03:43:32

OK. Don't mean to sound dumb, but what is a shell account. I checked out the site given for free hoasting and it talk like I could only have two shell acounts.

DropBox Referral