2015-10-22 12:15:12

I imagine it would already be on the site if there was such a thing, but I thought I'd ask anyway.  I downloaded a game for my IPhone which is based on the Walking Dead comics, but I couldn't get past the opening screen.  I was really hoping to play it, because it had all the characters, etc.  It just made me wonder if anyone had tried any other games that are based on the show, which is one of my favorites.

2015-10-22 14:01:16

TWD: Survival Instinct, and other TWD telltale titles. As far as I know, they're a huge pain but managable if you really have will to struggle. I somehow got to some part of Survival Instinct. Never recommend to anyone though. They're really hard to play and not very accessible

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2015-10-22 14:37:38

Unfortunately it's the old problem. The big whigs who  buy the licenses to make games based on the walking dead, starwars, or any other property don't give a rat's rear about access, so no accessible games based on such, indeed  after what happened with Usa games and their montizumas revenge project or Light tech's proposed starwars game, developers are reasonably not keen on the idea of getting sued by the fat coorporations.

I'm not familiar with the walking dead series myself, however while there probably isn't something walking dead original, if you give me an idea of the sort of thing they're about, I might be able to suggest something of a similar theme.

Off the top of my head, other good zombie related stuff (Swamp you obviously know), include choice of zombies from choiceofgames, zombie exodus from the hosted games arm of choiceofgames, and dead man walking over on chooseyourstory.
There is also the epitaff mud which has had some access fixes I believe, and the online browser game urban dead, though I was less impressed with that one myself (find out about it on the whitestick.co.uk site).

Hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-10-22 20:42:07

I was afraid of that.  It's too bad the bigger companies don't care about accessibility, because as evidenced from this site, Applevis, etc., the blind gaming community could be an impactful group of loyal customers.

The Walking Dead is a show where modern-day America has been destroyed by a zombie plague.  The main character, Rick, has to lead his band of survivors through it all.  What makes the show so addictive, in my opinion, is that it really makes you think, about the ethical dilemmas of living in a society like that, and leading a group of people.  They do kill zombies, or "walkers" as they're called, but the show focuses more on the survival aspect, on how to survive and still retain your humanity.

2015-10-22 21:23:50

I'm a huge walking dead fan myself, and i really hope there'll be something we can play based on the story soon. I'm actually up for any zombie genre, actually. Too bad I can't pay for my swamp account myself so have to pass on that one. Trying to discuss accessibility problem with the developpers of Epitaph now. They're helping us though, just not what we wanted it to be. I think if one of them comes to the forum, that'll be awesome

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2015-10-23 14:25:23

Epitaff looked rather good, though when I tried combat was a pest to read, I need to give it another go.
I don't know Dead man walking (sounds interesting if it's well done, sort of like we're alive or the Big Finish Survivers series but on tv).

If your interested however in zombies and ethical dilemmas, Zombie exodus and choice of zombies are both definitely recommended, there are also a couple of other zombie related games too from choiceofgames, though Mata is the person to talk about those sinse he's a major zombi fan.
Btw, can't wait! for We're Alive lock down.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-10-24 01:50:53

Thanks Dark.
I'm checking out Zombie Exodus now.

2015-10-24 13:55:52

Zombie exodus is absolutely what i'd point out, if it comes to text game (specificly cyoa), and choice of zombies is great too. Admit it got my tears a little when I first started and ended up being bitten. Text games are always awesome. And lol Dark, looks like I've revealed too much of my zombie addiction secret, ha.

A little out of topic : for those who still wanna give Epitaph a try, I'm struggling with mushclient triggers to make it as easy to navigate as I can. Combat spam will be reduced, and of course more sounds for certain commands. Credits are all given to Sneak and Viclious for helping me with scripting and such. It's gonna be awesome now! (Not to mention I'm working on Clok trigger a little as well, hahh).

2015-10-26 15:48:05

@Dark
You mentioned "We're Alive On Lockdown."  So I looked it up and found the "We're Alive" podcast.  I just wanted to say thanks to you.  I love it!

2015-10-26 18:29:19 (edited by sneak 2015-10-26 18:35:37)

Epitaph is decently playable right now. The issue is that it's just TOO ROUGH AT THE START! That's in all caps btw. When it was first released getting up to a decent level was relatively easy, but right now, it's really hard to get any progress. To survive attacks from average unskilled animals you need something like 500 dodge, but to get access to a trainer who has 500 dodge, you have to have over 100000 reputation with that faction, and gaining reputation is very time consuming, and tedious. There's been a few changes to the game so far that help with the insanely difficult things, but it's just not enough. I don't think they understand just how difficult their game is to play right now, for anybody.
Post script, Forgot to mention that training costs money and experience, at 300 or so dodge, it costs me about 16k experience, not sure how much money, but it isn't cheap. An average zombie will give you about 200 or so experience, which aren't hard to kill once you've good weapon skills, but to get to that point takes a bit as well. TLTR, You'll have to kill 64 zombies per level starting from 300, that cost will go up over time, so you do the math. You need 500 dodge or more to even have a chance against hostiles in the south side of the city.

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2015-10-26 21:25:30

You got a point there Sneak. And it's actually not just mobs that are hard to kill, travelling from factions to factions is risky too. You have to find zombies, raiders and stuffs along the way, and most of the time especially when your sneaking is low, you nearly have no chance to disengage

2015-10-27 18:00:09

Just FYI, the Telltale Games of TWD don't feature the main character Rick, but rather a character named Kyle. That's all I'll say about that because revealing anything else would be spoilers.
Look up The Walking Dead Movie up on Youtube. It gives the cutscenes.

2015-10-27 22:52:23

i'm not sure if you could actually play the game. it lags my laptop for some reason. may be i should retry.