2014-02-18 23:14:04

I think this article should help with explaining things:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBS_door

2014-02-19 02:26:14

I found an interesting website last night, it's all about LORD and interesting things to do, the Jennie cheat codes, etc. Lots of strategy, etc. They apparently have three different games going on their site.
http://lord.nuklear.org/tutorial.html

2014-02-19 16:01:13

@guilevy and @Zkline Yes, doors can ge written in any language.  The opendoors libraries help with comm routines and basically managing communication between bbs and the rest of the world as well as bringing in user data from the bbs to the door.

@Jaybird  Lord is a sensation.  Glad you were able to find a guide.  I hope it helps you.  As an FYI, we should have another game coming online once I get us connected up with a league that allows for the use of "lordnet".  If people want another local game with modified options, let me know.

@dark I've been working on Eamon.  Looke like it's definitely going to be possible to even allow for saving of games.  Can you email me off forum so I can ask you a couple questions about game play?  nromey at gmail dot com.  Thanks.

Noel

2014-02-19 18:42:38

Ah, I can't wait for the red dragon to be multi-player! I wonder how traveling's gonna work?
It amazed me how many LORD and LOGD variations are out there!
I also looked at game 14. among the options listed. Its, um, different!

2014-02-19 20:47:23

@sunlight What's game 14?  I've reorganized the menu system so now everything is either in genres, or you can view the full games list.  I don't remember what game 14 is.

Lord is multiplayer now, but lordnet or interlard is interbbs.  I think the way it works is that you'll be able to attack other players on other bbss but don't quote me on that one.

NER

2014-02-19 22:55:04 (edited by guilevi 2014-02-19 22:56:18)

Hi,
Just to see if stuff works, and to see if I can help improve this BBS, I made the stupidest guess the number game ver made, using just console stuff, no GUI elements at all. Raw PureBasic console stuff. Actually, I didn't use any libraries, since all this does is generate a number and let you guess it infinite times, and I didn't really think about it anyways (I was in math class when I did it). I compiled it in two versions, a windows executable and a console application. GTN.exe is the regular executable and gtn_c.exe is the console one. Here's the link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5686474/gtn.zip
Could you try to install the app in the bbs and tell me if it works on here or on there? I'll be on for a while today probably.
By the way, I'm realm master on exittilus! Lol I kinda like that game.

A fight we cannot lose.
An enemy we cannot defeat.
A destiny we cannot escape.
Follow me on twitter @guilevi2000

2014-02-20 00:07:26

Sunlight here...
Ah, game 14, is called:
"Land Of Devastation."
Keep saying about it not being registered or something...
Ah, glad that LORD is indeed multiplayer!

2014-02-20 18:34:53

Seems like the BBS is down, at least, I can't connect.

Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are hummbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours.

2014-02-20 22:19:11

@mord-sith and everyone having problems connecting.

Namecheap, who I use for my domain is having issues with DDoS attacks ( distributed denial of service attacks).  This isn't effecting the bbs, but does effect name server resolution.  They say that this has been resolved, but that it will take time for services to come back fully.  If you need a NER BBS Fix, connect to the following IP and remember, this could change I have a semi static ip.  Telnet to
to avoid the temporary nameserver mess and get right in.  It should all be resolved within hours.

Noel

2014-02-21 16:55:16

@guilevi
I haven't forgotten to attempt installing the guess the number application you wrote.  Just have been busy and not feeling well.  Should be done today.

Console games work the best for these kinds of things if they are not designed to be bbs games, so I'll grab it and run it and see how we go.  Thanks, and I'll let you know when it's installed.

NER

2014-02-24 16:42:16

@gilevi I'm kind of bummed.  I installed your game and nothing seems to be output to the screen.  I think this has to do with how things write to the screen.  I'm going to continue to look into this because it may effect games like Eamon working i.e. If basic doesn't send things to the screen properly, we may not get output via telnet.  Sorry sad.  You game was written well, but doesn't allow for output that can be captured by the bbs.

To others, I've installed several in game modules to LORD.  Go to (o)ther places and explore around  This basically adds more functions and places to visit in Lord.  You can die or have your character impacted in negative ways as bad things can happen to you as you stray from the main path, but good things can happen as well.

Also, I installed Clans, and Interbbs Game.

BRE has been reset and will start on 25 February.  Therea re multiple leagues to choose from, start from league 000, and move forward if you would like to play them.  If we don't use some of the other leagues, we'll leave them, but league 000 is the one most used by others.

I've also fixed some issues with the bbs crashing unexpectedly.  Before, if the bbs service crashed, it would stay crashed.  NOw, the computer will poll occasionally to make sure that it's running.  If not, it will restart the service.

Most importantly, have fun, and let me know if you have any questions.

Noel

2014-02-24 18:08:47

@guilevi I take it all back.

Now live on the NER BBS for everyone's enjoyment, Guess the NUmber from @guilevi.  The program I used was gtn.exe.  I'm not sure how it's compiled differently, but I ran it rather tna then console version as a windows 32 native application, and it worked.  JLet me know if you want to add something to the program, and enjoy.  Eamon may work afterall, I will give it a try.

NER

2014-02-28 12:31:21

Hi there,
I've been away from the forums for a while and I just saw this thing. Thanks for trying it out! I know it's stupid, but hey, I didn't think it would work either so I didn't work on it as much as I could have. I'll try to get ideas for new games, and as son as I have them ready, I'll either send them here, or PM/e-mail them to @ner. Well, whatever works best for you, your choice.

A fight we cannot lose.
An enemy we cannot defeat.
A destiny we cannot escape.
Follow me on twitter @guilevi2000

2014-03-04 12:18:09

Well it's been a while sinse I checked in, but  it is looking fun, although i still need to get up and running with trade wars and some of the other games.

I will say though Buz more was amusing! I have a friend who is a weedster who would love that game big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-03-15 02:57:42

Is anybody still playing this?
I'm playing Userper frequently and even mannaged to become King. It's quite fun.

Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are hummbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours.

2014-03-15 17:03:34

I'm pretty much playing Legend of the Red Dragon. It's a fun game.

2015-10-10 19:03:35 (edited by queenslight 2015-10-10 19:27:43)

Hey everyone,

Just in case folks forgot about the Ner BBS being around, its back up!
For those wanting to look for me, look for "sunlight."
Its been up for 95 days so far, and no one has been on there besides me it looks like.

Telnet too:
http://nerbbs.com
, or if on windows, open the run dialog and type:
'telnet nerbbs.com"

Hmm... Getting people back in to this thing ain't gonna be easy though...

2015-10-10 19:48:08

I've actually thought I should do a db entry for nerbbs, sinse it has some awesome games kicking around. If the links to the nerbbs instructions for peopleon post xp windows who can't just onnect are going I could link to those, but also I would like more info on the games sinse while some titles like legend of the green dragon, usurper, and some of the other battle games are either rather obvious to play (or in the case of tradewars have extensive documentation), others aren't quite that much. For example Ironox looked pretty awesome from what I could make out, as did land of devastation, but I didn't get too far with those.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-10-10 20:01:26

I myself am liking, Embrosia I think its called?
I'll see if i can find info on the games you're wanting info for.

2015-10-10 20:15:35

Ok!

For the game Ironox, I found some info for it on this page, though you'll have to do a find search for it:
http://www.tinysbbs.com/files/doors/
. Hopefully by the description, more info can be found.

Now, Land Of Devistation is a bit more easier to come by:
http://www.landofdev.com/

2015-10-11 01:11:21

Here's the last full working official site, for the BBS door game, of ambroshia:
https://web.archive.org/web/20100204204 … ambroshia/

2015-10-11 14:53:25

This is interesting, to be sure, I've never done anything like that before. It was easy to get in via telnet and set up my character and SSH back in. But while I've certainly heard of BBS' before, I've never been to one.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2015-10-13 02:44:57

I can't even connect; just comes up with the following dialogue box.

[Window Title]
telnet

[Content]
Windows cannot find 'telnet'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

[OK]

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-10-13 04:14:18

So I clicked on the history as I never used one of these before and for some reason it wants a password. Am I missing a step?

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2015-10-13 05:49:38 (edited by queenslight 2015-10-13 06:11:29)

For those on windows vista and later, you will have to enable telnet via the turn windows features on/off section, of the Programs and Features section, of the control pannel.

As for the history thing, that applies to the wiki itself, and not to history of the BBS.
For BBS history in depth, please see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulletin_board_system

Update!

ya may want to contact ner about the history page not showing up.
I see which page you're referring to.
In the mean time, that wikipedia page should cover it.