2015-09-16 23:39:13

Hello, I have played a game called Final Fantasy 11 for a number of years. I do this with a combination of bot programs that have chat log recording functions and in game help from other sighted individuals. But as of late ffxi is getting less and less 3rd party support do to it's age, and as a result the programs I use aren't being updated anymore.
Well, the other day I was looking through the windower folder on my computer and happened to notice that all the windower plugins are all .lua files, which leads me to believe that windower now supports lua scripting. They have plugins for windower that do everything from casting your spells for you to changing your equipment and more.
My Question is would someone with programming knowledge especially lua scripting be willing to take a look at windower and see if it would be possible to build a windower plugin that would use NVDA. I mean if windower can read and respond to stuff that happens in game, why can't that be piped further to NVDA? I might just be hoping, but I figured it was worth asking, and please tell me if I posted this in the wrong location.

2015-09-17 20:43:56

can you plase the hole game with the lua scripts someware?
i need to look at it

2015-09-17 21:41:58 (edited by buu420 2015-09-17 21:53:46)

Well, I can give you windower, but giving you the game it self is something of a problem for 2 reasons, first off to log in you have to have a payed subscription although I would be willing to let someone use my character for testing purposes. And the second reason is the game is quite massive it's like 12gb or something. But I can give you my copy of windower through dropbox. I can post the link for that In this post when it's done uploading I will edit it and put it at the bottom. If you need the game though I will find a way to get it to you.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/358 … dower4.zip

2015-09-18 04:45:42

ok, no problem about game
but if windower support's luajit's FFI, you can use a screen-reader DLL to make the game accessible
just edit and recompile the scripts

2015-09-18 05:11:32

I don't know how to program or I would do that, that's why I asked in this forum to see if anyone could.

2015-09-20 03:03:25 (edited by visualstudio 2015-09-20 03:07:03)

as you've said before the windower support's lua scripting language
lua is an open source and embeddable scripting engine in MIT license
luajit is write from lua, but the code are different
both are in MIT license
the lua's website has some documentations to get you ready
here is lua's website
here is programming in lua, which is better for you to read it before everything
and here is luajit's website, check it out for FFI tutorial and something else
but please note that for working with FFI, you need to be familiar with C
then, read windower's website for it's API documentation
then change the scripts and compile them

2015-09-20 03:51:44

The thing is, I'm not a programmer. I was mainly trying to reach out to a programmer that would be willing to take the time and see if this is possible. I wasn't looking for a recompile of the scripts I was thinking more a plugin for windower that uses NVDA. When you start windower it controls the game so that means everything that happens in the game goes through windower. That includes all the text and even where you are currently at in the game. I understand if nobody wants to help I'm really the odd man out in a way for playing the game in the first place but I really think I'm on to something here, windower never used to support lua so it was never really something I considered in the past, but now you can write plugins and addons in lua.

2015-09-20 11:16:05

Do you need the mouse to play this version of Final Fantasy ?
IF yes, I'm afraid that there is no chance to make it accessible.

However, if no, as someone did something for Pokemon Cristal, perhaps something is doable with this software as well.

Personally, that's Final Fantasy 7 I would really like to see accessibilized. The whole story, characters management, battles, etc. were all in text menus; so it's perhaps doable. The only big problem would be mini-games that are part of the plot, for example chocobo race.

There are 10 kinds of people : those who know binary, and those who don't.

2015-09-20 20:44:11

As a matter of fact, ffxi is completely ran by keyboard. And it was pokemon crystal that gave me this idea lol.
As for ffvii unless epsxe decides to add lua support unfortunately that game wouldn't be able to be accessible. But ffxi is a MMORPG so it's quite different from the usual final fantasy game.

2015-10-04 12:58:02

Well, I never tried FF XI before. Is it playable? or, well, I mean, you can have access to the menus, EQ ETC but what about navigation? map? etc?

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2015-10-05 04:25:00

No the menus and whatnot are not accessible, as of right now the only thing taht is accessible is the chat log. But I'm hoping that someone will write a plugin that will change that. With windower supporting lua scripting now I think it is possible seriously. Anyone who is willing to take some time out and atempt to write a plugin would be awsome their are already lotts of plugins and addons that people can look at as a base for writing one. And you may even be able to make the plugin reference some of the useful plugins like the ones that show your buffs and debufs. I think menus, chatlog, and even possibly walking around could all be made accessible.
My reasoning for believing this is windower basically runs ffxi when you start it, including limiting the process priority. Not to mention they have plugins and stuff that will walk your character for you so their has to be some way that the game detects obsticles and whatnot.