2015-09-26 03:40:09

Ok, I'm in the Windows 10 world for now and have decided that I wish to learn to make Windows applications in Python as part of a larger project to eventually move cross-platform.  What are the best tools for Python development from an access standpoint?  What would folk recommend as the best resources for learning the language?  If I'm interested in game development, what resources would be best for working with sound?

2015-09-26 04:28:47

Hello Themadviolinist.
Sorry I could never figure out how to post links but I'll tell all about python. First get python 2.7 from python.org don't use python 3 it's syntax is a little and I think it would get a little confusing for a beginner like yourself.
I would start out by reading the python documentation it's not great but it will tell you what you need to know. Also read learn python the hard way, there is a version you can buy but the free version is just as good read it and do all the exercises. Read this with the python documentation read together you will learn a lot. Do all the exercises even if they seem to easy for you there good practice.
I wouldn't worry about soud libraries right now but there are a few pysonic and there's another one pylama or something like that it's slipped my mind.
I would start out making guess the number and small text games. Guess the number is simple enough using random.rand.int and raw_input.
If you have any other questions just ask but like I said the python documentation and learn python the hard way should answer most of your questions.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2015-09-26 05:42:14 (edited by CAE_Jones 2015-09-26 07:29:29)

Pygame, Pyglet, Pyo... I only got anywhere with the first, but they all come up for games and sound. (And whenever Libaudioverse gets release-ready, it will already support Python.)

I don't know if accessible_output2 is cross-platform or not. It works fine for me (Python 2.7 on Windows 8.1).

I tried to port the BGT sound_pool to work with Pygame. It's not an optimal solution, but the idea was to avoid needing to dive into something radically different (which usually means more complicated) and to also open up the possibility of easily porting my BGT games to Python ( lol I think that would want some kinda sutomated translator). If you need it, I can upload it.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2015-09-26 06:23:57

Pyglet's already been mentioned which supports OpenAL, it also handles windowing, mouse, and keyboard input. PyAL is a module for just OpenAL, along with Pyttsx which handles speech synthesis using system sounds.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2015-09-26 07:04:55

Use Learn Python the Hard Way to learn python.
Libaudioverse is the best sound library, but it's not quite done yet.
FMod is also good and panda3d supports fmod right out of the box.
PyQt is the best library for cross-platform development.

2015-09-26 08:30:09

Hi.
Sorry about that frastlin's post reminded 'me panda 3d is the one I was trying to think of. Libaudioverse handles 3d sound very well I've used it a couple of times and liked it a lot. It isn't finished yet so who knows what sort of features will be added in the future. Pyaudio game is good it's manual is very helpful and it will show you how to make audiogames it focuses on audiogame development spacifically.
@Cae, accessible output 2 has support for all desktop screen readers. Nvda, jaws, system access, sapi, WindowEyes, voiceover on mac and orca on linux. Right now there is no support for touch screen screen readers but I'm hoping that will be added in the future. I'm also unsure if accessible output 2 can be used if your not a python developer since there python files and I'm not exactly sure what would happen if you compiled them to use with another language. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow and see if python has a fit lol.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2015-09-26 09:20:32

get libaudioverse from
here
get the docs for it from

here
Note: these files are unofficial. Camlorn hasn't set up a wheel-building thing yet. This is the latest github-built version.

This is not a signature.

2015-09-26 15:51:32

if you are looking for cross language support for screen reader output look at tolk. its only windows. but if your going to only use python accessible_output2 would be better anyway. AO2 does have cross platform support for screen readers on mac and linux. i really don't have a lot to add here apart from everything everyone else already said.

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub