2015-08-26 02:49:57

Hi, I am learning Python and I just learned that tkinter doesn't seem to be accessible with Jaws. I heard that WX Python is accessible, but it seems that the programmers of the module stopped working on the project. Is there another accessible module I can use to build GUIs?

To clear up questions later, I am running a windows 8 64 bit machine.

TJ Breitenfeldt

2015-08-26 05:17:21

Hello,
PyQT or PySide are more up to date. PyQT is the most, but if you wish to do anything where you are not willing to give out the source code, you need to pay $500 or so.
You could, however, do a project on patreon and it would be fine!

2015-08-26 05:52:49

I definatly want something that is free. I am taking a class on python and I need some alternitive to tkinter. Is PyQT free? I looked it up, but it wasn't clear weather I had to pay for it or not. Does PySide work with python3, it wasn't clear. What is patreon? I Googled it, but I couldn't find anything related to python.

2015-08-26 06:28:37

PyQt is free as long as you don't charge for it. It is under a GPL license/commercial license, so if you wish to sell your game or what ever, you need to pay. PySide is not actively developed anymore.
If you want something active, use PyQT. It works on all major operating systems (Yes, even IOS and Android) and NVDA at least works OK with it. If you want an example of a program that uses QT, checkout:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: … at_uses_Qt

QT comes with a whole lot of goodies including a web browser and db support as well as the ability to use censers and blootooth.
It is currently one of the most robust and accessible cross-platform frameworks out there (if not the only one that goes on IOS and Android).
But frankly, if you are creating a game, you don't really want native UI support. You want a blank screen where you can grab user input, use accessible_output and play sounds.
PyQt is really tedious, but it gets you into good coding practice if you use it like the guides say to. Checkout:
http://zetcode.com/gui/pyqt5/
But you only want this after you finish something like Learn Python the Hard Way.

2015-09-09 04:18:51

WxPython development is ongoing, see wx Phoenix. I use it for cross-platform apss on Windows and Mac.

2015-09-09 18:33:36

does wxPython work on Linux as well?

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

2015-09-10 05:25:16

Yes, WXPython is Linux, Windows and OSX