2015-08-19 06:37:05

Hi
Long ago, ethin says he made a program, and he decompiled it once.
Is that right? I want to know that if I made a game in vb .net, my game can decompiled at once, if it has no code protection?
If yes, hmm, I think visual studio has low security, because visual studio's debugger and decompilers

2015-08-19 06:49:14

Yes. VB .NET programs can quite easily decompiled if you do not use an obfuscation tool on the compiled executable. The reason is all .NET applications are compiled or converted into MSIL, an intermediate language, which is read by the .NET Framework. The problem is since MSIL is an open standard it is easy for a hacker to grab a program to convert the MSIL back into VB .NET, C# .NET, or whatever else strikes his/her fancy. That, however, isn't a huge security problem if you know how to address it and secure your code before distribution. A tool like Dotfuscator can obfuscate your executable so it can't be converted from MSIL back into VB .NET etc. So if you are going to use VB .NET just be aware of how properly to secure your code and you will be good.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2015-08-19 13:13:53

yes, .net apps can be easily decompiled, but not into language itself and with many many modifications

2015-08-19 19:24:28 (edited by Ethin 2015-08-19 19:26:16)

Actually, if you know MSIL very well, you can easily modify a program after using ILDasm. Then, after your modifications are complete, use ILAsm to reassemble it.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-08-24 10:20:36

i always recommend not to use dot net at all, because it is slower, and many assemblies are loaded at run-time
but i'm saying, it depend's on what you want to do

2015-08-24 19:05:21

hi
But most programs are coded in dot net language, and if you have an obfuscation tool you will be good.

2015-08-30 16:27:45

you are right, but what about memory management and independency?
if you use only one DLL of dot net such as system, others will be loaded two!

2015-08-31 02:38:26

momo7807, if I understand obfuscation correctly, it just converts your program into a native equivalent. So there probably is a way to de-obfuscate your program. Nothing is, sadly, foolproof these days.
Visualstudio is right though. Sadly, if you build a windows forms application, it loads a hole lot of assemblies that are not needed for your program. Mscorlib contains hundreds of DLLs it loads by default, and I don't know how to change that.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-09-04 17:47:56

Start with python by going through the tutorial:
http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/
You will be making text games by the 30th lesson I made
this game when I was on the 40th lesson
Then go to:
http://www.renpy.org/
and build your visual novels!
You could start with RenPy, but you would need to learn their scripting language which isn't that difficult. It doesn't allow you to do complex stuff, but for a basic text adventure it is great.
With python under your belt, you can make text games really easy and you also have access to libraries for making Muds and 2d games as well.