2015-09-03 03:12:29

Oh, sorry for the double post, but I would just like to let you know Aprone that the building materials bug is definitely not fixed. When I set up a camp in an area, I apparently used up -6 building materials, and there were more on the ground than there were before. So just a heads up. Also, I think that changing the names is a great idea. I think I will do that and start a new game just to see how traumatized I get when things happen. It'll definitely make the game more interesting when my girlfriend breaks her leg and I have to leave her behind, or i get to force my parents to help build up the camp. Let's have some fun!

2015-09-04 22:26:05

Okay,I'll admit I'm a little late in trying this out, mostly because my brains are full of rather other things than games at the second (which I know is nuts but that is how it is). nevertheless I sat down with pawprints today and I have a few question come suggestions.
Firstly, are there any keys to speed things up? In particular giving items from one person to another, sinse if I set a person to search for new items, then they find a blanket but I want to give it to someone else the process seems a bit clunky sinse I then need to drop one blanket, find the person who needs it and then have them to pick up one blanket.

Is there a give command to give directly? and if not, could there be? say by hitting g on an item in a person's inventory and then hitting the number of the person to whom you want to give the item.
I'd actually also suggest perhaps considering instead of always being asked how many of each item a person wants, there should be separate commands for "give 1" or "pickup 1" and "give amount" or "pickup amount" eg, pressing g gives an item, pressing shift g asks how many.

I would also like a way to see what undone tasks there are at any given location, sinse  if you've assigned some people to do tasks but want to know what other jobs are kicking around rather than having to hit the arrow keys several times from the bottom.
It'd also be nice if there was a "all travel" (or all who are able), command so that  wen you want to up sticks and move your hole party, you don't have to individually select all 10 people.

Okay, that is it for the interface questions come suggestions, now I have some gameplay questions, appologies if they have already been asked I'm a lazy so and so and can't be bothered to read the mondo topic of doom big_smile.

First, food! I assume that 10 people on half a ration each means you go through 5 food a day, however I seem to be calculating incorrectly. Perhaps a status report on each day regarding how much food is eaten might help make decisions. I am also not sure on the relationship between food and work or hunger etc, eg, whether it is better for people to eat half a ration constantly and then go hungry, or go on short rations for a while.

Lastly, I seem to be running into trouble on strategic lines, sinse other than the main crash site, I really can't seem to have my party keep warm anywhere else in the first ridge or ice valley, indeed by the time I've finished looking over the first ridge for useful items,usually people are dying of hypothermia, and don't speak of travelling, sinse it seems even if people take firewood with them to a new location they aren't bright enough to light fires once they get there, this despite me distributing blankets and coats as best I can.
Am I missing something? of course, I could just use the main crash site as a staging area,but but then you risk running out of food sinse there really isn't much around, (again why I wonder about the food situation).

I also wonder about the depression status, in particular which is worse, unhappy or depressed. Obviously suicidal is a warning sygnal but it'd be nice to be able to do something before that, eg, take people who were in worse shape off duties like cutting meat from corpses and burying the dead.

Thus far the second ridge is as far as I've got, and usually only after some people have bit the bullet at the ice valley.

Lastly, have you considered adding relationships to the game? that might be fun, and something which actually does seem to happen in survival situations.

Okay, as I said I obviously need to perfect stratogy on this one and I'll be the first to admit I'm not really in top mental form as far as games go, but I definitely am liking this a lot, from the religion to the survival skills it's a lovely idea for a gamee.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-09-05 00:19:09

Good suggestions Dark, and I'll definitely keep them in mind when coding the next update.

At the moment, no, there aren't any faster ways to transfer items or move everyone to the next location.  I like your ideas for perhaps speeding up those things though.

Food rations were not explained in the game, so they are confusing at first.  The quarter ration uses 1 food, half uses 2, reduced is 3, and full is 4.  That doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, but it's because the original design had the options full, increased, double, and triple.  I went back and changed it because I felt the game shouldn't ever bless you so much that you can start feeding people more than a full day's rations.  I never adjusted the numbers to make it fit better with the new naming convention though.  It would have made much more sense to have 1 food equal 1 full ration, and then fractions of a ration would go along with those reduced amounts.  Oh well, hind sight is 20/20.

Depressed is worse than unhappy.

Getting a camp site set up is important for other locations if you're planning to camp out there.  The initial crash site provides a bit of a camp right off the bat, but other locations are basically a blank slate.  Until you get 1 or more campsite improvements finished, it's hard to compete with the crash site.

Relationships were in the original design, but were scrapped to make things simpler.  I may go back and add them though.  The idea wasn't that relationships would form, but rather people in your group might have existing relationships to one another.  So 2 of your people might be married, one could be the child of someone else, and so forth.  The only real purpose for that system would be increased morale hits when one of them dies.  People seemed pretty sad already, so I didn't worry too much when the relationship system was left out, hahaha.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2015-09-05 02:12:27

@Aprone, ah the food situation makes a little more sense now. could we please in that case have a report to show who is eating what each day? that might be a better indicator of whether to go foraging or not.

With camps, for some odd reason the crash site is the only place where it seems you can build enough of a camp to keep people warm and everyone doesn't gradually die off of cold, sinse even with most improvements at the first ridge, a roaring fire  and me searching for and distributing every blanket and coat everyone still seems to just get colder and colder, even when I decide to give people a day of rest, and there isn't a blizard, unless I've missed something about how cold works, indeed at the moment I am not sure on stratogy sinse it seems you have to forage for items as much as possible, but in foraging you just take time for everyone to become an icecube big_smile.

As to relationships, well it is true everyone is pretty depressed anyway so extra hits to morale would be a bad thing, however having positive relationships might be nice, eg, if you assign two people who are together to work together they are happier, or if two people get together as survivers or adopt one of the kids they get a random morale boost.

It could even be a risk reward system, egyou have to decide how much time people spend together, the more two people in a relationship or two family members spend together the better their morale, but the worse the hit if one dies.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-09-05 02:59:15

Even with a maxed out camp, the crash site really isn't the best place to stay. Especially since it eventually runs out of supplies, and by then your people are probably pretty hungry anyway, or exhausted, both of which will make it hard to move them on later. Even on the easiest setting, you will probably only get a maximum of 4 people to an area that isn't freezing cold, which is the area past the ice folds. If you think that you are going to lose a person, try and get him to move as far toward the city as he can, because I think that increases your score. Really you'll have to live with the fact that you will lose most  of your people, but if you end up in a situation where you only have seniors or children, you're basically screwed because they can't do a lot of the important stuff.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2015-09-05 09:05:33

Hello,
Well, crash site is warmer when you start because you already have a fire and then just have to make it bigger. On other locations you can start it though, by going to the location, pressing f to to to the fire, and then enter, if you have enough fire wood and a lighter.
If you want to see what tasks you have left that noone is working on, you can press a, and you Will get to the first item in that list.
I usually try to give people that are full or stuffed no food, until they get to not hungry, then give them half rasions. I still try to keep them nicely fed, so if they run out of food they won't go hungry right away.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2015-09-05 09:15:35

fires actually don't really seem to help people stay warm at freezing cold areas, even if they are really big. I make them anyway, because I think it ups morale. Even with 3 or 4 blankets they slowly get colder and colder until they are frozen dead.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2015-09-05 10:34:51

Yep, I'm having the same problem as keyisful, sinse the furthest I've gotten my people thus far is the second ridge. The only place as I said people don't die of cold even with full camp upgrades seems to be the crash site, but as keyisful said, you don't have the supplies to stay there too long.

2015-09-05 10:52:26

Yes, first locations are verry, verry cold. I usually use falt autarific (not sure if I spelt it right), so I can get animal furs earlyer on. But it's probably easier for me, because my computer is buggy or something, so when I open my saved games most people get all toasty and warm.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2015-09-05 16:50:10

Hi aprone
it sounds cool
I will surely download it.
as you are saying that this is a bit similar to daytona so can I use mouse in this game?
Thanks
Ishan

life's battle do not always go to the stronger and faster man,
But sooner or later who win the one who thinks he can!

2015-09-05 21:33:43

@Ishen, it is set in the same world as castaways and daytona, but is a totally, completely and utterly! different game.
Daytona was an action rpg with the mouse as you said, pawprints is a turn based strategical management game.

As with most of Aprone's games it's not really similar to anything else he's done previously, accept maybe castaways and only in as much as in castaways you also have to manage people individually.

It's still cool though (and not just because of all the snow and ice and people dying of frostbite big_smile).

2015-09-06 04:50:26

Hi Aprone,
I love the idea of this game and can't wait to try it. Thanks for all the work you do with audio games.

2015-09-07 16:49:48

I finally finished this game! yay!
Day 65 was my last day, and, I finish with one senior out of 9 people.
Final score was 574, give or take a point or two either way.
My perk was fuzzy wuzzy or whatever its called, and my fault was snowman, though I can't seem to remember what that fault involved.

I'll give it another shot on baby steps again, and see if I can get the mortality rate a little higher.
smile

Thanks again Aprone for all the work you do to keep us entertained!
big_smile

2015-09-07 17:01:04

Nicely done Mike!  I bet that was one happy old man or woman, hahahaha!  big_smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-09-07 18:47:00

Congratulations! My score (after getting past that frozen lake and losing everyone), was something like 50.

I have to confess that I got a laugh out of this:

I'll give it another shot on baby steps again, and see if I can get the mortality rate a little higher.

big_smile Sorry, couldn't resist!

Best Regards,

Tiffany Kim

2015-09-08 00:07:43

Haha, nice one Tiffany big_smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-09-18 21:11:51

Aprone, another great game here! I do like your strategy games, they're always interesting.

And this one... frustrating. Oh so frustrating. But I will win! My insistence on sticking to normal difficulty may be my undoing. Maybe I should just lose some pride and try it on easy. But not yet.

I'm feeling like my new strategy is to go all nomad and charge forward out of the cold areas, not really sticking around. We'll see how that goes.

For the relationships idea, maybe it might not all be a bad thing. Maybe it can give the people involved a daily dose onto their morale score, though only if their morale is below content or something like that. To simulate the support that our loved ones can give us in troubled times. As well as the loss if you lose one of them.

Keep up the good work!

2015-09-19 18:05:41

Thanks truecraig.  smile  You're certainly a brave soul to be jumping right into normal mode!  I wish you luck, and may god have mercy on your team of survivors, ROFL!

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-09-19 21:12:55

This is a very interesting concept. Starting off with normal was probably not a good idea, since I didn't really know what to do yet. The last of my people died on day 15, and I barely made it to the second site (took me a while to figure out I have to move on from the first one because no new tasks were becoming available and I wasn't going to get those people with broken limbs to move anytime soon). I'll try on easy next time. The religion thing is very creative! I'm really curious which god (if any) is real, but I guess there's no way to really figure it out with certainty. Didn't play with a religion yet, I'll try that at some point. I really hope this game gets expanded, I'm enjoying it and it seems like something with a lot of potential.

2015-09-19 23:46:13

Zakc93, I haven't decided yet, but there are a lot of ways I can add new features to this game.  I've been busy with a few things, but Paw Prints hasn't been forgotten.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-09-22 15:51:27

Aprone,
This game is really challenging and maybe the baby steps could be a little easier, as I haven't gotten someone all the way yet.
Suggestions;
I like the idea of relationships, maybe add a group variable to share their resources.
It would be interesting to set each individual's religion.
How about a good, neutral or evil category? An evil individual could steel from or kill the other party members.
While a good character might befriend a wolf with food which becomes a guard animal  that protects the party.
Adding a survivalist or ranger category would allow that person to make tents, skis or sleds to hall food out of airship parts.
Adding new items to the airship cargo, guns and ammo, bows and arrows, skis, dried hiking food, and coils of rope could add interesting developments.

2015-09-22 18:08:37

Phil I think you might be right about the baby steps difficulty, haha.  I may need to make things a bit to shift the difficulty down.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-09-22 20:21:18

@Aprone,  I'd agree with Phil on difficulty, though i confess at the moment I'm not sure whether the trouble I'm having in baby steps is due to the difficulty of the game, or just me being generally distracted these days as I have been.

I'm not sure if I'd personally have a "ranger" category of surviver, sinse realistically how many people are actually "Rangers" in real life and could make bows and arrows out of random wood or turn a wolf skin and a couple of twigs into a fully functional habitat big_smile.
I do like the idea of making characters personalities and relationships a bit more complex, but I'd myself prefer various traits not just a blanket "good" or "evil" thing.
Traits could include:
Greedy: gets more unhappy if not given a full ration.
Entitled: Will be more unhappy if someone has something such as a blanket they don't.
Intrepid: More likely to make and survive journies alone.
Martyr: will be happier when doing dangerous or difficult things.
Pragmatic: does not lose happiness from exposure to corpses.
Complainer:If unhappy, will reduce others happiness through they're complaints.
Caring: Will gain more happiness if left with children, the injured or eldily.
Strong back: Will not become as tired from physical jobs.
Stick picker: Can keep a fire going with less wood.
Clumsy: Will be more likely to be injured doing hard physical jobs.
First aider: will be more likely to find medical supplies like bandages and splints.
Coward: Will not help if attacked.

You see what I'm thinking with these, personality traits that affect how people relate to each other, with each person given a random selection meaning that maybe some people are better suited for some things than others, particularly if people get a couple of traits each.

2015-09-22 21:03:56

Dark I love your personality trait idea.  big_smile  If I weren't putting a few "finishing" touches on a new game so that I can post it, I'd probably run off and work on that right now!

If anyone missed my extremely subtle spoiler about an upcoming game then I should say that I'm probably going to be posting a new game today.

I do believe those personality traits would add a very fun new level to the game.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-09-23 08:59:55

Hi Aprone.

Glad you like the idea, it was actually something that occurred to me in my last game sinse poor Jeremy was getting so depressed from repeated corpse handling, and yet that probably wouldn't be something that would bother me myself.

What would also be nice is if the game was balanced so that positive and negative traits were roughly equal, but if this equality was not necessarily between everyone.
What I mean is if each person got two traits, but instead of being one positive and one negative, the party as a hole would get 10 positive and 10 negative traits spread among everyone, but not necessarily evenly. So, while yes you might have a complaining coward (come on, every surviver film ahs the complaining coward!), to balance you'd also get a strong and intrepid type, or a tough carer or whatever, and of course the skill would be managing all your people even the useless ones big_smile.