2015-09-02 16:17:41

are you talking about wthin chrome itself? or is there a chromevox help menu I am currently unaware of.

I'm probably gonna get banned for this, but...

2015-09-02 17:39:44

for the wrapping to top/bottom bug, this seems to be caused by hangouts. What I do, since I use hangouts, I just kill the last open instance of the chrome process, which, on linux, can be done by executing "killall chrome" On windows, try "taskkill /f /im chrome.exe"

2015-09-02 19:01:31

That would be the file menu, on Chrome itself. Alt-F for file, or alt-E for edit, go to the same place. Then look for the help submenu.

2015-09-03 02:03:44

Well, I've reported both bugs.  I really hope someone fixes them soon, because I really prefer chromevox and chrome to nvda and firefox.

I'm probably gonna get banned for this, but...

2015-09-13 02:51:48

I've noticed a few things. Chrome on Windows is amazing, and so is chromevox. ut on the mac, it hangs, wraps to top when first opened, chromevox can't access anything outside of the webpage. Yeah Google, you'll have to do much better than that.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2015-09-13 16:48:02

Well, got some updates since i last posted here...

Chrome OS 46, once it comes to the stable channel, will "finally!" have the "higher" quality voices like on Android or the Chromevox extension on  board. Plus it won't crash like it has been.
I'm on the "beta" channel as of this moment.
Chrome OS 46 will come sometime in October.

In other happenings, if you run the currently still "unstable" Chromevox Next Branch, if something bad happens, it'll restart Chromevox for you, thus going back to the classic/stable version.

For those who haven't noticed, many concepts and keystrokes are changed in the "next" version. Still not final.

2015-09-26 11:42:18

I'm kinda wonder, How do I change the voice in chromevox? and one more thing, how do I use chromevox's keys? it says on windows, the chromevox key is alt plus control. I press that. and nothing happen. could anyone give a solution to this?

2015-09-26 14:28:12

Right, documentation for Chromevox Classic still hasn't been updated on the site. 
*sigh*

Anyway, Its ben changed to Alt-Shift by default, for Windows/Linux machines.

You can press Chromevox-O>O, to open the options screen.
Bring up a list of commands by doing Chromevox-Period.

2015-09-27 05:23:43

Thanks Trenton. it worked.

2015-09-27 05:59:49

anytime!

2015-09-27 06:12:19

There is still, the cvox interactive tutorial also broken...

2015-09-27 17:41:55 (edited by Sebby 2015-09-27 18:01:20)

Agree with those saying that the ChromeVox keyboard structure works. I use VoiceOver so a very natural fit.

To answer the question of why some people prefer and others not, I think it's just a matter of preference, mostly. Both sides defend religiously their particular viewpoint, but ultimately both work. If there is a difference in efficiency, it's only because one group has more patience/time than the other, and in contrast, if one is more logical or less annoying than the other, it's only because one group has a pair of working hands and a greater appreciation of such things than the other. It's all good, really.

ChromeVox is the only reasonable option on Linux, just now.

Firefox+NVDA is a great combo on Windows, but you ought to play with CV in Google web applications if you'd like an smooth experience free of prework customisation.

OS X and Chrome aren't playing well. Shame, as Chrome is a portable little universe of its own--specially on a ChromeBook.

Just myself, as usual.

2015-10-05 09:43:10

I'm trying to use chromevox to edit a google doc. I'm assuming this should work as both these technologies are made by the same company. However, when I open the doc, I can read its contents, but not edit it. Anybody know what I'm missing here?

2015-10-05 11:50:28

Make sure to do Chromevox-N>E to jump to the edibox , then ya should land in the Google doc itself.
If by chance you are in the "preview" window for said file, tab to the Open With" button, and choose "Google Docs" from the pop up menu.
Alternatively to those two, hit your context menu key or press "A" on the file ya wish to open in Google Drive, then choose open with, and then google docs.
Pressing enter auto places you in the preview window, for most cases.

2015-10-28 16:10:02

So yesterday, I figured out how to view this document, and I tried editing it by typing the word test at the top. However, I couldn't notice the word there when I scrolled up and down.

Today, I've returned to the document, and I'm currently able to view all 3 pages of this 3 page document, so I'm assuming this is not just the preview. I'm able to view the word test, which I wasn't able to view yesterday, but I still can't seem to make any noticeable edits.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Think maybe this is somehow still the preview window, even though it's showing all 3 pages? Is there something special I need to hit to edit, or view my edit?

2015-10-28 17:18:40

While you are in the preview window, either tab to the Open with Google Docs button and press enter on it, or press A/the context menu, select the Open With menu, and choose google docs.
Hope that helps.

2015-10-28 18:15:57

How can I tell if I'm in the preview window, or if I'm in the document itself? On the one hand,  my abilities to read the entire document makes me think I'm not in the preview window, but on the other hand, my inability to edit it and detect my edits suggests something else.

2015-10-28 18:52:54

If you're editing, ya should be in an edit field. Reading the title bar with Chromevox-C>T, should tell ya that info.

2015-10-28 19:23:09

It just says the title is assignment 2. Does this mean I'm not editing?

btw, I've never found any open with button. Also, the context menu key just brings up an inaccessible menu.

2015-10-28 21:04:27

Strange.

Are ya trying to open this within google drive the web site? Or via the google drive app.
Not having problems here.

2015-10-28 21:55:59

Within the website. Were you giving me instructions for the ap?

If I use the ap to open a file, does it still open in a web browser, or does it open in its own interface?

2015-11-03 21:31:33

So I now have google drive downloaded on my laptop, but it only shows some of my files. How do I get it to show the rest? The interface just appears to be a regular folder, with no refresh or sync button.

2016-06-12 19:56:33

can anyone answer this? i installed speakit on my chromeos and selected swedish. the speakit and ispeech shows up in chromevox. but if i select it the chromeos germany voice are selected.