2015-08-15 06:26:05

Hi all,
I'm getting tired of an issue found in Windows 8, where you can't write to, or other programs can't write to, folders such as program files x86. The reason this is getting on my nerves is that programs, especially games, are unable to check for updates, or even update files in their route directories, because "access is denied." This issue also prevents me from saving to those folders.

Is there any possible solution to this issue?
Thanks

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-08-15 06:51:44

Disabling UAC will probably solve this.
UAC is intended to improve the security of Windows by stopping malicious applications from altering important system files.
To use a comparison, disabling UAC on windows is similar to working as the root user on linux at all times.

This page describes how to disable UAC:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows- … ows-vista/

~ Ian Reed
Visit BlindGamers.com to rate blind accessible games and see how others have rated them.
Try my free JGT addon, the easy way to play Japanese games in English.
Or try the free games I've created.

2015-08-15 16:29:10

thanks Ian

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-08-15 19:41:00

Hi,
Disabling UAC won't solve this; it will just raise the security risk factor on your computer up by about 92.7 percent. Keep UAC enabled. Never disable it unless you absolutely have to. And if games can't check for updates, the people who code the programs that check for updates need to learn to tell that program to ask windows for administrative privileges. If the updater is written into the game, run the game as administrator. But never, never disable UAC. Remember what the unix geeks say about running as root on LInux: It defeats the security model that's been in place for years. Applications are meant to be run with non-administrative security (or as mere mortals) so you have to elevate their privileges to modify the underlying system. For example you wouldn't want that recent crash of Rhythmbox to wipe out your entire /usr directory due to a bug. Or that vulnerability that was just posted in ProFTPD to allow an attacker to gain a ROOT shell.
Its just good practice on any operating system to run your applications on a user level and leave administrative tasks to the root user, and only on a per-need basis.
The same applies here. Head the above warning, people, as disabling UAC is very similar to running as root on Linux. That's why I posted that warning here. Just... don't do it.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-08-15 21:42:26

would agree with Ethin here. 90% if not more of viruses and malware either are able to do their nasty work because it was run with admin rights or what ever the malware was, it got elevated privileges some how. the higher up the privilege tree it gets, the more damage malware and the like can do. probably the number one security thing you can do is to not run things as admin unless absolutely necessary.

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

2015-08-16 01:54:23

I have been a windows user, and with uac and old stuff I have always disabled uac and it works.
I know vary well since I have used linux that I should really write everything into my user folder under sub folders for things.
However every time I get a new system or have to reformat the computer, its never the right time and I just put everything back how it was.
The same goes with imaging the hdd, I say I will do it but I never have, I have backups of everything about 3 coppies of each thing and critical stuff are on flash drives to but even so you guys are right.
Technically the newer programs should in theory be ok.
There are ways to get passed uac if your program is secured with the right certifficate.
I guess windows major issue has been that in the beginning no one thought about installing anything in user folders programs went to programs even though some system stuff goes there.
In linux all rograms go to your user account unless you want them to be system wide.

2015-08-16 02:40:10

Hello Severestormsteve.
This is why I'm glad I still have windows 7. Turn uac down to 0 and you should be fine. And if your playing a game like survive the wild and it needs to update select run as admin that should fix that.
Btw, I haven't talked to you in a while are you still working on your racing game?
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2015-08-16 04:11:25

I've always run my UAC down to 0. Frigging annoying messages each time a program wants to run or change anything, nope, not tollerating it. Also I think nothing can be done about the program files thing, because if you go under properties and uncheck the read-only box it just comes back.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2015-08-17 04:36:42

UAC in most situations simply isn't tolerable for me. The most it's ever done for me is nag me asking me if I want to run a particular program when I launch it. I have never left UAC on long enough for it to be useful to me. Why would I sit there reading its notifications when 99 percent of the time those notifications are for things which I myself just initiated on my own accord? Are you sure you want to run file.exe gets really old, especially since when I run it, UAC has yet to complain about what the program did. It's like asking me, hey do you really want to submit this post to the forum? Unless you're too impulsive for your own good, there's no need in asking a stupid question like that, since if you press the button, you intend to do it. I'm not going to sit there and read every UAC instance only to find out that 1 percent of the things it's yelling at me about were not performed by me. I'd rather have adman rights and accidentally screw myself over than not be able to make routine system changes.
Besides, the choice whether to hit yes or no in those dialog boxes is really not always that clear cut. I've already had technicians crash a PC at least once because they told me to hit yes in response to certain dialogs or to simply ignore certain error messages when in fact they were indicative of real problems which required either intense registry combing or just a reformat to fix. Restricting what you can and cannot do is different than UAC stepping in and second-guessing every action performed on your system, most of which are trusted.
As for Steve's problem, I don't really know a sollution to this, since right now I'm having similar problems of my own. I'm on Win 7 home premium X64, and certain files seem to mysteriously claim I am not the rightful owner and deny me permission to do anything with them. I must confirm my administrative privileges every time I want to access them, or go into permissions and change ownership settings which is a pain since the files which are affected are scattered randomly through all folders of my HD. This all started after a power failure a week ago, which perhaps corrupted something. It's still really annoying.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2015-08-31 02:56:27

Hi,
At the original poster, you might have a look at this.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows- … -in-vista/

It allows you to take ownership of folders, although obviously I would be careful of where you use it and how often. But it should work nicely for what you want to do.

As for turning UAC off being a security risk, I think that any serious malware knows how to circumvent UAC. It's a rudimentary defense. Hell, some malware even gets past top-rated antivirus solutions.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2015-08-31 12:58:22

I have used windows and I have also used the mac. In this area, the mac asking for your password when ever a system change needs to happen instead of UAC putting up the yes no prompt seems to be a little bet better. I know I shouldn't use the admin account on any OS once things are set up, but can be a challedge to change over to a stander user for most things, and that is where part of the problem is for most users. I don't remember my MAC ever asking if I wanted a stander user or an admin account... I do have to say that the 64 bit version of windows seems a little more picky about where you put things then the 32 bit version.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2015-09-01 01:26:56

No disabling UAC will not solve the problem with access permissions on files and folders.

The reason is that file operations like reading, writing and executing depends on the user context.

In order to get unrestricted access to a file or folder one must first take ownership of it, and next grant oneself full access.

Well, the answer is not so simple, since one may theoretically have full access on a folder owned by another user or group, but to keep things simple, here is what you have to do:

1. Open an administrative command prompt.

(In Windows 8+ press Windows+X and activate Command prompt (admin).

2. From within the administrative command prompt you can take ownership and change access permissions:

Takeown /f xxx /r

The current user is granted ownership of the xxx mask.

In order to grant ownership to administrator add /a and or /user otheruser to grant ownership to another user.

icacls xxx /grant username:(oi)(ci)f /t

These commands are handy when you have lingering files and folders which are difficult to get rid of.

You can use everyone as user to grant everyone full permissions or administrator to grant permissions to administrator.

Note that programs are often run as the system user and adding the system user may sometimes be necessary.

Another possible trick is going into the context menu for the program (exe file) and check always run the program as administrator.

m

2015-09-02 00:45:41

Hi.
wow, I usually just turn off file sharing from folder options then go security and allow permition that way when I need to.
I have my views on uac and windows methods as a whole however.
I agree with ethin but I also aggree with others.
Uac, good, secure, helps us with securing our systems.
Everything has a certifficate, and everything works as it should.
There is the first problem.
I have used linux on and off for the last year or 2 mostly to muck round.
Firstly, program files is a system folder.
For ages and ages ever since windows became in existance everything was loaded to program files and this trend has continued.
Linux goes to your home directory and system stuff goes to the system directory with the right permitions.
In windows you have to change it and while I guess if you really wanted to you could do it, but who does, the general user me included especially when we are loading something up want to get things over quickly and do not want to piss about with brousing our computers, we have been conditioned to the old way and windows still uses that by default.
Uac is good if you have a fixed configuration, hardly need to update any programs or run anything which effects the settings or system as a whole.
You don't need to modify files, you don't need to do anything like advanced anything and you don't have old software.
Oh and as long as you use office and ms software maybe firefox and a few others its fine.
The  problem for those like us that use older software is that that doesn't have that sort of crtifficate access.
And while some can update some programs can not or for other reasons can't be updated.
I know runas can be used like linux sudo to run files as admin and some programs will tell you if they need it but to be honestt who will do that especially if you have a lot of old programs, games and the like.
Every setting needs uac.
Every install needs uac.
Everything may need uac.
While installs are fine I do know that in linux you never need to use root unless you well need to modify the system.
The amount of time you need to do this is like well 0 almost anyway.
On my own system with a lot of old software uac is off.
On my fixed systems that just run basically ms software only its on.
In theory you shouldn't need to modify system files at all.
If for example if I run a program in linux  say, I will get a message the program  needs a particular library, and will be told how to install it.
I can then go and install that particular library or command.
In general though programs will find and load what they need.
In windows, that doesn't happen, you get a nice error and then you don't know what it is unless you like me have a habbit of installing every vb, visual c and dotnet and other runtime I can think of on all my systems I use.
Thats wastefull but gets the job done.
While in principal uac is a good idea, windows does not lend itself fully to its use.
Depending on your configuration it can be more trouble than its worth.
There have been some situations where windows are hidden making the system useless.
All ms would have to do is give options in install where you should put programs etc or even be able to have a user change where things goes based on what it is without manually brousing all over the place.
Maybe iff I get 10 I may do feadback on that thing.
The way uac is now, its an extra layer of yes no questions I need to play with.
If its off its better for me.
If as described though as above it wouldn't be that big of a deal.
I am sorry windows users but bits of windows have stayed the same since 3.11 and some of those need to change.
Things like an easy way to have our user accounts where we would like, even the ability to back up your user account as long as a virus hadn't mangled it and then once we had installed everything we could restore our accounts back to where they would be.
The same seems to go with the ms privacy issues of late and other things.
I am not sure about linux but I do know the length of time I have to spend on configuring  windows installations has taken more and more time.
win 95, 5 minutes.
win 98 10 minutes.
windows xp 10 minutes.
win 7 20-30 minutes.
I fully expect windows 10 to take a day to reconfigure before I can even install anything at all or even put my files on the system.