2015-08-29 14:33:12

Hello everyone.
This topic says it all.
I'm wondering if there any blind bass guitar players out there because I'm looking at some of the youtube videos and I think I'm having some trouble with my fretting. Plus some plucking tips might be good as well. Though I don't think I'm having a problem with plucking.
And as far as fretting goes, I hear talking about pivoting my thumb. So if you pivot your thumb, I hear you can stretch your fingers farther. My question is, I can't get my stupid pinkie finger to cooperate and I get lots of fret buzzing.
And again, I think my plucking is good but when I pluck, sometimes I hear this click on the fret board.
So Just wondering if anyone has any tips from a blindness perspective.
Thanks and have a grate day.

Sincerely:
John Follis
Check out my YouTube Channel.

2015-08-30 00:04:54

Nice topic; methinks I could learn from this one myself.  I am a multi musician, so I do spend some time on base guitar.  I wouldn't call myself great at it, but being the improv kind of guy that I am, I do adapt quickly.  Mostly, that means playing by ear rather than actually seeking tips, which is a bad habit depending on who you ask I suppose.  To rectify the clicking issue I would simply suggest a bit of equalization.  You may actually achieve a basier sound altogether.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2015-08-30 01:23:08

Hello Audioracer.
I'm a guitar player but never played bass before. To get rid of the buzzing keep your finger right behind the fret your playing on. If you move your finger too far back you will hit another fret which causes buzzing. This also happens if you move too far forward and hit the fret your playing on. As for the click you hear on the fret bord I'm not sure what could be causing that I'll try that on my regular guitar and see if I get clicks.
As for plucking hold the pick between your right thumb, index finger, and middle finger pick up and down up and down on the strings this way you can play faster. Only move your wrist when your plucking don't pluck the strings by moving your whole arm this is a bad habbit to get into. And since your a beginner your pinkie finger is naturally weak so it will shake and cramp up. I had this same problem when I started playing guitar. Use your pinkie as much as possible so that the muscles will get stronger and you will find it easier to play with your pinkie.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2015-08-30 13:12:34

sounds like your bass may need a little action adjustment. If the actions too low then strings are going to click and buzz against the fret board unless  you play with a light touch. With a bit of a higher action, you can really dig in. The down side of corse as it's physically tougher to play with a higher action.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2015-08-30 13:19:36 (edited by audioracer 2015-08-30 13:23:46)

For double tapping like billey shehan, would you have a high or low action? As well as others like Victor Wooten. But you can listen and/or watch this lesson youtube. Because I want to know how this guy is playing some of these notes really fast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Nqc0gxS3U

Sincerely:
John Follis
Check out my YouTube Channel.