2015-07-16 07:02:39

What, really? Could you get a recording or sample of the kinds of sound effects you were using?

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2015-07-16 12:46:41 (edited by CAE_Jones 2015-07-16 12:47:20)

Eh, this happens to me, too. There's something distinct about professional recordings that people notice right away, so one must either purchase or pirate, most of the time.
Occasionally there will be some decent free sounds out there, usually under Creative Commons.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2015-07-16 18:23:12

http://sik.titandemo.de/.junk/old_sol_sounds.zip

Out of those the only one that survived was yupee.ogg. Most were made with a Mega Drive (serious). Also do note that those are less than 44KHz (some 22KHz, most 11KHz) and rely on the sound engine's upsampling (which does not do interpolation, giving a less muddly sound).

Mind you, people also complain about Project MD's sound effects...

2015-07-16 22:39:27 (edited by magurp244 2015-07-16 22:40:40)

Hmm... There doesn't seem to be anything all that bad about them individually, but it gets me thinking about asthetics. In art circles you generally want to have all of your artwork as the same "style" and pallet so it all meshes together creating a cohesive atmosphere, perhaps thats what people don't like? It might be interesting to try a few test cases.

2015-07-28 07:04:45

OK, I need to release a patch to the game because I screwed up some scoring calculation at some point (the feature is being used by a mod and was an addition for 1.1 when the mod wasn't ready yet, so I misguessed massively how it was meant to be calculated), and to fix minor issues. I was waiting to get this audio mode done first but it's taking longer than I want.

What would you prefer?
1) Hide audio mode and for now keep it for testers only.
2) Allow audio mode, despite the fact it's not 100% usable yet.

#2 would be better than nothing, but I don't like the idea of releasing something that isn't ready yet (even if it's explicitly marked as experimental), it could come off as lazy and careless. On the flipside at least it would give me more proper testing than I had so far.

2015-07-28 08:42:57

That's a difficult choice, I wrestled with the idea of releasing a Non-Stereo version of AudioRTS because in a way I didn't want people to get a bad impression of the game. But at the same time, getting something into their hands to actually try so they could get a feel for it or give feedback I felt was important too. Ultimately i'm not sure if it was the right choice or not.

It's really up to you if you feel its ready for more public testing, but if your not sure you can always release it in a later patch.

2015-07-28 17:46:13 (edited by Sik 2015-07-28 17:46:28)

Well at least 3D positioning here works. The problem is more that there aren't enough clues to cover everything yet (and some clues are not exactly in the best locations either). So um it's "maybe" playable, could be enough to get through at least one level if you persevere but not a guarantee.

Any quick suggestions on how to add clues and where are welcome (as long as they don't require me to create new sound effects, I don't have time for that right now).

2015-07-29 08:11:47

Hmm, well its difficult to say how you'd add additional cues, perhaps using some of your original unused sounds as placeholders? As for where, it would probably be a good idea to focus on the essentials, like information required to get from the beginning to the end. Things like the hammer, health, possibly flags, while useful aren't strictly neccessary compared to navigating hazards like terrain, spikes, acid, pits, and enemies to reach the end goal.

2015-07-29 23:03:05

I was referring to clues describing the map layout (objects are pretty much all handled already). I bet a significant amount of the silhouette isn't properly described yet.

2015-07-30 09:21:15

What do you mean by clues about the map layout? Do you mean the audio cues/tones describing the terrain?

2015-07-30 18:10:13

Yep, pretty much.

2015-07-31 09:48:16

Ah. Maybe you could try representing both flat terrain and slopes as silence as they could be considered a solid path sans obsticals, walls could be represented by a solid tone, edges by a slow blink, and platforms by a fast blink? Or conversely edges by a fast blink and platforms by a slow blink. Judiciously using silence to represent safe movement zones could potentially help highlight more relevant hazards and obsticals.

2015-07-31 17:21:29

Slopes are not entirely hazard-free since they affect the height of everything else relative to you (suddenly a platform may become higher or lower because you just went through a slope). Also, there should be a way to tell ceilings as well (since you need to be aware that you can't jump beyond them).

2015-08-01 10:54:44

Height is currently represented by pitch at the moment isn't it? If so, then the act of moving up the slope would change the relative pitch of objects near you which could still give the impression of a slope. As for Ceilings, I had considered that the edges of the ceiling could be represented by the same tone as Walls, but that might cause confusion by implying that it can't be passed. Maybe a slower tone perhaps?

2015-08-01 20:08:00

The problem with slopes is that if they aren't marked, then suddenly everything changes height and you can't tell why. That's about as confusing as playing the game without any sort of clue.

I think we should stablish some sort of standard regarding what each kind of tone means (no blink, slow blink, fast blink).

Current situation so far if I recall correctly:

• Floor corners (wall): nothing

• Floor corners (gap): fast blink

• Ceiling corners (wall): nothing

• Ceiling corners (gap): no blink

• Slopes: slow blink

We probably need to come up with something that feels more consistent and conveys more useful information. Also there isn't any way to tell when the corners are off-screen (e.g. a ceiling without gaps that goes from the left to the right of the screen, it won't make any sound even though you can't go through it) And I'm not even getting on other kind of clues like conveyor belts.

Any ideas?

2015-08-02 09:30:46

I think that having things change pitch would imply a slope, but yeah it could use some additional information. The players footsteps when they walk could really help provide information on the kind of ground their walking on, like slopes, rocks, etc. But thats something to consider later.

Listing the current sounds and things to assign them to is a good idea, right now there only seems to be straight on/off blinking, what about including tones that are a more gradual pulse? So you could have Fast Blink, Slow Blink, and Constant Tone, with possibly a Slow Pulse and Fast Pulse, which could help flesh out the number of surfaces that can be represented.

One way to let players know about the ceiling or other extensions off screen would be to clamp a square/tone to the edge of the screen, so if a ceiling goes off to the left, the tone for the ceiling would be locked at that point on the left until you reach its edge or opposite endpoint.

2015-08-13 06:14:18

In the end decided I'll just release it as experimental in version 1.2 of my game (clearly marked as such) and then later finish figuring it out. I still want to see how what's currently around fares as well. Today I worked on redoing the menu interface so they work better for people without vision, turns out that a quick hack worked much better than expected (I still need to tweak the menus a bit more but at least they're properly usable now). The only serious issue now is the level editor, but that will have to wait for now.

I don't like releasing unfinished features but I have other things to patch too and this is better than nothing for those who don't have any vision, not to mention that I'm not sure if anybody has attempted to adapt a game like this before (except maybe for AudioQuake).

2015-08-15 21:13:20

Double post to bump the thread.

Added footsteps using some bass kick I had around that sounds close enough... but it's nearly unhearable even after normalizing and leveling, there are simply too many clues making sound around but I don't think I can remove any more without the level becoming unreadable (it's already problematic as-is).

Was wondering to just bite it and turn it more into like a radar that scans from side to side quickly, playing only the clues in the area being scanned (panning would remain to help you figure out the relative position), and hope that it shows information fast enough to not make the game unplayable (you can always just reduce the game speed, but still...). This would rule out the idea of pulses though I imagine? (or at least heavily hamper them)

2015-08-16 07:54:25

Bleh.. Been busy refactoring audio code. Anyhoo, what sort of hack did you pull off for the menu's?

Hm, testing out a sweep system could be a good way to see how viable it might be. Assuming that the other level sounds aren't playing to interfere with the sweep, I think it could work. Curious though, how fast paced is the game? Having played the demo there are moments when things attack you, yes, but there also seemed to be many positions where you could stand still safely. It would make sense that players navigating would optimally want to use those moments to get a sweep of the area for information.

2015-08-17 21:04:55

Well, implemented the scanning. It honestly sounds as messy as before, but at least it seems to be good enough to prevent it from overloading all other sounds (now I can hear footsteps just fine). Also it removed all the clicking, which is nice. Pits don't sound anywhere as annoying now, either (made them pulse too just in case). Probably still not good enough but better is better.

magurp244 wrote:

Anyhoo, what sort of hack did you pull off for the menu's?

Originally the game lets you assign the next option for all four directions (meaning the layout is not linear at all, making better use of screen space and looking prettier). This only makes sense when you can see, though. I made the menu code override this behavior in audio mode and always navigate options in a linear manner based on the IDs of each item. Turns out that for the most part they were already in a decent arrangement (I just disabled a few buttons that only made sense when using the mouse and that's it), and the left/right actions for changing values are pretty much in place already. The only catch would be toggle buttons then (those want spacebar instead of left/right, so it may be a bit confusing at first, but it's not anywhere as bad as it was before).

To put an analogy: I had a pretty website with javascript and such and forced it to degrade to raw semantic HTML.

magurp244 wrote:

Curious though, how fast paced is the game? Having played the demo there are moments when things attack you, yes, but there also seemed to be many positions where you could stand still safely. It would make sense that players navigating would optimally want to use those moments to get a sweep of the area for information.

You really don't want having to stop in those fast paced areas though... (and the viewport isn't really large enough to cover everything you'd need to know from the next section) I guess those areas still could help a bit though, they already do when you're sighted after all.