2015-07-29 21:48:04

Thomas, thanks for the spelling of lasagna.

Dark, in my opinion, there are far worse foods than badly cooked kebab. Macdonalds is a prime example. The food there tastes nice but is very bad for the body. This has been scientificly proven; it takes 6 months for macdonalds chips to decay. Which is very bad for the body because you've got chemicals just floating round inside.
Best regards,
Thunderiist.

Thumbs up

2015-07-30 00:13:22

@Thunderfist, I'd never defend mcdonalds or other fast food places and I'm aware of all the issues, plus to be honest I disagree totally on "food tastes nice", it tastes sweet, sugary and processed which is not the same at all, or at least it did last time I had one which was admitedly quite some time ago, even the fries.

That being said, I think perhaps in Turkey you probably don't realize just how bad the kebab shops thing in England is. Frequently people end up in hospital ill because the meet used is either of very bad quality imported from somewhere random in europe, or has been badly stored or cooked leading to serious cases of food poisoning. There was recently a serious scandle involving horse meet being passed off as beef, and the two main culprits who picked up this meet were tescos supermarket making pre prepared ready meals, and various small kebab shops who used it in kebabs and pizza topings. And that isn't to speak of the extremely greasy frying practices such places often use.

As I said nothing against kebabs generally, I'm a Kofte fan myself, and like anything else a fine quality tirkish restaurant would do good stuf, but unfortunately in England, particularly in inner cities there is this rash of so called kebab shops, who's stuff is very, very dubious indeed. Whether worse or better than mcdonalds I don't know, frankly I wouldn't touch either with a barge pole as the saying goes big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-07-30 02:53:20

Hi thunderfist.
Ok, Ok, I really need to but in here.
Now don't get me wrong I can handle roast meat hot or cold, potatoe and other roast vege, pasta including lasagna, even the odd pizza or eggplant slice, but there are some foods which don't taste right cold.
rice is probably one of them unless its brown rice in a salad with nuts, raizens, and coconut I'll eat that.
I know some have cold rice puding but I can't even stand warm rice puding.
Cold custard I can stand especially if its in a slice, pie or over my fruit and oats but I can't stand cold rice just like I can't stand cold chinese pork buns.
There are just sertain foods that I couldn't stand cold ug!
Saying that at school I did a studdy on germany and aparently their breakfast and dinner are cold while their lunch is hot and the only thing changed between breakfast and dinner is the meats used.
I have always eaten hot food I for example couldn't dream of eating baked beans cold, but I could eat cold salmon or tuna or sardeen in a bred role with salad and mayo.
I have never had a cold soup or rice dish though that I liked or didn't want to throw up while eating bar brown rice and I hardly get that.

Thumbs up

2015-07-30 04:23:13

Hi Dark,

Just to let you know that I spend most of my time in England. Although that isn't the point of this post.

Crashmaster, I like rice pudding. I'd recommend sutlac pronounced sutlach. If the restaurant people don't understand, just ask for rice pudding.

One of my favourite puddings is those puddings you get from tesco that have biscuits in them. Just to ask, what do you guys think about rice crispies?

Thumbs up

2015-07-30 06:09:03

Hi.

I think they're nice, but am not a fan of milk Rice crispies cakes? Hmm, they're ok and cornflakes cakes too. Oh and flatjacks or how ever you spell it, they're yummy when home made and warm.

Something else i like, which is bad for me, is pork crackleing. I don't mind pork scrachings but making pork crackleing is so yummmy, yet so bad for you.

The way I see it, if you enjoy it then go for it. If you want bad fatty food, make it and enjoy, if you want healthy food, make it and enjoy. So either  way as long as you're enjoying yourself it shouldn't matter that much.

I'm gone for real :)

Thumbs up

2015-07-30 15:30:11

@Thunderfist, I agree on rice pudding, home made rice pudding is wonderful, though I'm not a big fan of the skin. As to cold rice, well generally speaking I prefer anything hot as opposed to cold, indeed rather like crashmaster there are lots of things I wouldn't do cold but are very nice hot. That's not to say I won't grab a sandwich or whatever at some points, but I'm not a big fan of say salads much as I do really enjoy properly cooked vegitables.

Breakfast cerials generally are not a thing I like especially with milk on (the smell I find just disgusting), though i've enjoyed some well made cakes with them, the sandwich place where I quite often walk reever does the most amazing mars bar rice crispy cake big_smile.

@Brad, the problem with the "well it's what you enjoy" attitude is you do risk getting fat or other medical problems if you always eat stuff that is hyper fried or covered in sugar or what not. Luckily, while I'm partial to a pizza or a chinese and I do like a cake occasionally, I also am a big fan of a lot of things that are fairly healthy such as stir fries, cooked vedge etc, and even if I do burgers or bacon I prefer to grill them rather than frying, and really I wouldn't want pizza every day anyway. Exercise also helps of course.

It's  just like epicurus said, a pleasure is only a pleasure if held in balance.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-07-30 17:22:57

Honestly if you're going to eat like crap it's your responsibility to deal with the consequences. I'm not going to bleed into someone's life after I've made my initial statement of "it's not healthy".

Fast food is good though if you're having a drop in blood sugar and need something NOW though.

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

Thumbs up

2015-07-31 04:55:32

I love minny roles.

Thumbs up

2015-07-31 06:28:38

Hi.

sure. I honestly don't eat that much unhealthy food. Yes I have a lot of take aways but I'm trying to stop that. It's hard though, but I've decided to order box deals, from a place called graze. It's a great place that does box healthy snacks. Cheese cashews anyone? smile

Yes exercise does help but I need motivation to go to the gym and so on since I live with my parents I don't go out much. I'm hoping to move out some time, and when I do I'll be eating a lot more healthy foods than I do now.

They really don't care about healthy things, there view is, if it's quick and easy who cares?

That's not what I think but it's how they've always lived so that's not going to change in the slightest.

Things my grandparents buy include: mostly chicken  in bread crums.
curries,
Stakes.
I do not really like that kind of food since it's not home made and to me does not taste nice.
Oh and sometimes we'll have fish.

I love homemade food. For example, when I go to my friends house, (bashue on hear,) there food is amazing because it's homemade. Homemade sauces are so nice.

What I meant to say in my last post is; an unhealthy snack once in a while won't hurt, but yes lodes of unhealthy snacks in the end will harm the body. I hope that I can live a better life for myself once I move.

I'm going to keep this healthy snacking up and I know that will help me. In fact I'm going to try my best to buy a lot more healthy things so that I'm not tempted to by take away food.

I'm gone for real :)

Thumbs up

2015-08-01 03:03:55

@Brad, firstly, "quick" doesn't mean unhealthy, or at least not apart from takeaways.
For example, tomorrow I shal be making a chilly in my slow cooker with a bunch of turkey mince and a jar of chilly sauce. Yes, if I mae the sauce it would be good, but honestly if you buy a decent cook in sauce it's not a problem and sinse I'm also chucking in some pre done onions and some kidney beans and having it with rice it'll be a pretty healthy meal (especially with using turkey mince rather than beef).

It's the same with ready done meals. One reason I go to marks is they do a lot of things that are very quick to do, but still are good quality and not always hyper unhealthy, for example they do a lot of pre prepared vedge and some great chicken breast fillits with interesting sauce you can just throw in the oven.
I'll admit I'm a fairly lazy cook, mostly because there is just me to cook for (if I was cooking for other people I'd be more inclined to spen more time), but that doesn't mean I have to constantly live on bad quality microwwave meals or takeaways.
I have however recently acquired a wok and am experimenting with stir fries, which are awesome! I don't usually like using the hob that much owing to the risk of burns etc, and confine myself to the oven, the microwave, my slow cooker and of course the good old george forman, however a wok isn't so bad owing to the size and there is nothing nicer or more healthy than a fresh stir fry.

I also personally don't bother with the gym, I have  a small home trampoline to run on and some hand weights, sinse the nearest gym is quite a wayss out, and besides going to a gym for a couple of hours would just get boring, where as 20 minutes of intensive work out most days is fairly easy and is over quickly. (I try to do it every day but if say I've been awake most of the night it's not as easy, still i'd say I definitely manage most and it's good for my voice).

2015-08-01 04:12:44

Hi.
to the poster that was talking about minni roles I agree with you.
I do like for a treat dinner roles with butter.
I like any aisian bred of any sort and ciabata, I think thats how its spelt.
Some pronounce it chabata some say sheerbata it means the same thing.
vocacha is nice some say vocacia some say vocachiea but whatever its nice.
Both those types of bread can go dry and hard an chewy though.
any sesame or cheese role is nice and any normal bred is nice.

vogles is nice though I like thick toast bread as a rule.
For a treat I like fruit bread but its hard to cook at times.
Then there is your classic date loaf or banana loaf.
I had my nanna make date for me many times.
I brought banana loaf from the store but then got someone to make it for lunch and there is noting to compair with a freshly baked just out of the oven  piping hot loaf.
Lately while I do enjoy shoving my face with a doughnut or 2 or 5 I have been over the last 4 or so years pushing that away due to weight and the like.
I used to eat kfc every day just about in my teenaged years and when I did flatting for a year or so.
I used to eat packets of biscuits, crackers and chips and all that sort of junk.
I don't do that so much anymore though.

Thumbs up

2015-08-01 07:30:55

Oh man, this topic is bad for me, but when it comes to foods I just cannot resist myself.  For those of you who have posted already, shame on you for torturing my poor stomach with pangs of hunger that weren't previously there 10 minutes ago.  :d
This topic never gets old though, and I mean never ever.  We can talk about bacon eggs and sausage, or savory stews and soups all day long, and my only real preference that supercedes all other food types and what have you, is seafood.  Take me to a place that offers fish and shrimp, or some fried Calamari, and you're as good as gold as far as I'm concerned.  You'll be my best friend, really!
All that aside though, a nice bowl of soft sserved ice cream is something I wouldnt' say no to, and I still loves me some pecan pie.  Dominos's lavacakes are to die for, almost literally.  They are so bad for you, but ever so good.
Recently, I've actually taken to making grocery lists when I'm feeling that both terrible and beautiful gnawing sensation that tells me it be time to eat, because I know I'll remember to put more items on that list that I really want and will appreciate later.  I know I know, probably sounds like a weird practice, but it is what it is.  The real problem with either having tons of money or tons of food is that when you have it, you're not exactly sure what you want.  When you don't have it, you want everything!  lol

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

Thumbs up

2015-08-01 11:46:02

Lol Nocturnus, I can't say I've ever had the problem of having food and not being sure what I want.
I haven't tried dominoes lava cakes, but as I said earlier, Dominoes are far too processed for my liking. They used to do some awesome cookies, but they were from the firm millies cookies who always make good ones anyway, for lava cakes pappa jons do  fairly nice ones, albeit I like the cookies rather more myself.

Oddly enough ice cream is something I don't go nuts on, My brother loves ice cream of all flavours especially the speciality sort, but for me it is something I can take or leave, albeit sinse I do like propper chocolate it often falls into that category.

Seafood yes!  The buffet place I went to the other night had some amazing prawns, it also had fresh squid on the stir fry counter though as it's very easy to bugger up squid I didn't try this. The best seafood I've ever had was in greace, sinse there is nothing like calamari that was court that morning! We used to know an amazing firm who's claim to ffame was that they froze the fish at sea, so it was as fresh as you could imagine, even their bog standard battered cod was pretty amazing. Sadly, they're not around anymore which is a shame.

Fortunately there is a lot of good seafood around, the other day with my first class ticket on the train I had a very nice seabass with brockly and stir fried peppers which was lovely.

@Crashmaster, I believe what thunderfist means by minnyroles here ar not bread roles, but the chocolate ones produced by mars. I think they fall under their milky way range. They're like a round wafer biscuit with sort of cream in the middle covered in very bad quality chocolate big_smile.
I do like the wafers myself, but I'd rather have one on it's own or one with a decent coco content chocolate. Those tunnucks dark chocolate caramel wafers are awesome!

Actually hotel chocolate make some amazing %80 dark chocolate biscuites, they're ridiculously expensive but they're awesome!

That being said, different sorts of breads can be nice, a good brioche can definitely work, I also love hot crossents. My mum an my brother go nuts for different breads, myself I only tend to care when either the bread is fresh, or is served hot.
Then again, coconut loaf is just nice, albeit that's more like a cake than a bread.

Ironically, whenever my mum was pissed off with something she'd always bake bread, on the basis that it takes a lot of very serious pounding of the dough and is thus quite cathartic, indeed I've baked bread myself in the past albeit I can't recall the recipe exactly, again it's probably something I'd have a bash at if I ever had more people to cook for than just me.

2015-08-01 18:01:36

Actually Dark, I was refering to the little chocolate ones. I think I've had the round ones before though.

I'd have to agree with you though, seafood is quite nice. Here at the seaside they do very good Sweet Corn. They even salt it for you. They don't give it to you in a box, it's one of those that you unwrap and hold with both hands.

I think what Brad was trying to say, and correct me if I'm wrong Brad, is that so long as it is convenient for his parents, they'll just get whatever takeaway or cooked food they can buy, in spite of whether it is healthy or not.

Thumbs up

2015-08-03 07:36:32

Here is what someone said about healthy eating
Excess sugar = fat
Excess sugar = diabetes
Excess sugar = tooth decay

I wonder how much sugar there is in Indian sweets (luddoo, gulab jamon) and the Turkish baklavas! Man that's some serious damage!

Thumbs up

2016-03-08 08:13:58

Check out this recording if you want to hear what I do when I am very board. http://grossgang.com/podcasts/eating%20 … 20soda.mp3

2022-12-25 03:19:10

Thunderfist799 wrote:

Here is what someone said about healthy eating
Excess sugar = fat
Excess sugar = diabetes
Excess sugar = tooth decay

I wonder how much sugar there is in Indian sweets (luddoo, gulab jamon) and the Turkish baklavas! Man that's some serious damage!

It's true, but I guess moderation is key. If you are healthy, you can eat everything but in moderate amounts.

Thumbs up