2015-07-27 09:16:50

Hi all.
I have wanted to learn chess for many years, both to see what it is like, and to see if it's something for me. I have tried many times to read about it and talk to some people about the game, but I haven't yet got what it all is about. As I'm writing this, I think it's quite confusing. There are some blind people in my country who arrange chess teams both for newbies and for experienced players, and I think I'll join those guys to see what's all about.
If someone have any links where I can read more about chess in a simple way, that would be very much apreciated. I just don't know how to get the basics, since it seems there is so much to learn...
I know there are at leased one completely accessible chess game for iPhone, which I think I'll enjoy when I have learned the basics of the game.
Regarding other alternatives, please check out this epic website, which really seems to be interesting:
http://en.lichess.org/blog/U5AX_DcAADkA … nd-players
What other alternatives have you found to be accessible? I don't wanna play chess with blind people only, but with all people, if I manage to learn this. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2015-07-27 12:03:56

Giving this an extra thought, I think I wanna play the first chess games online together with other blind people who knows that I'm using a screenreader... So all kinds of accessible chess games are welcome. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2015-07-27 12:10:09

I really wanna learn chess  for a long time too.
If anyone has a well written guide please paste the link to it here. thanks.

2015-07-27 14:55:53

Me too stupid for chess... The thing is, you've got to be able to see what's possible like 3 or more moves down the road. I can tell you that pawns are your sacreficial lambs, they can move two space at the start of the game but after that, just one. I think they can move forwards, left and right, but not backwards or diagonal,m god its been a long time. I think the rooks can move forward or diagonal as many spaces as they want. Knights are interesting in that they move like in an L pattern like a capital L but turned around in each orientation, so like up twice and left or whatever. Yeah I should shut up now because I don't want to give wrong info, check the rules, me too stupid for chess

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2015-07-27 17:09:21

Ironcross: Thank you very much. That was really very useful for me. I have looked up the rules, but haven't found some detailed rules yet accept for your explanations. big_smile I think I'm beginning to understand the basics of chess, at leased why the heck I can't move like I wants to. Lol.

Best regards SLJ.

2015-07-29 00:34:05

You can learn a little of chess with the rules, but it's one of these games that gets more and more complex the more you play and understand and a lot of the more complex theory won't make sense until you understand the basics.
I personally enjoy chess and there was a point I played seriously, though my brother was british blind champion at one stage I just went along for kicks.

There are several programs that include chess guides and tutorials. Kchess advanced or elite from arc angles software are still around and possible to buy. The good thing about those is you get how to play chess from the computer as wel as lots of information.
Then as a free option there is Bg chess from spoonbill, which has extensive documentation and is of course free. Both of these also come with full graphics so you can play with sighted people, and Kchess even has the ability to save games in a standard format so you can send to people.

Shredder is the chess game on Ios, I've not tried it personally but I know it can play to a high standard, though understanding the board with vo could be interesting and I don't know if it teaches you how to play.

the big thing with chess as a blind person is understanding the board an the positions of all the pieces. I personally find I can't play with a computerized board I must review square by square sinse I have trouble retaining all the information, I prefer a tactile chess set physically in front of me. I've tried making the computers moves on a tactile board but it doesn't seem to work out, or I bodge it up somewhere along the line, so personally i prefer playing a human with a physical board.
That being said, your milage may vary, I do know people who play quite successfully just using a program.

I'd recommend personally finding a human to play against, maybe at a chess club or whatever or just trying a friend to learn the game, if not possible, then try getting BG chess challenge from spoonbill or trying one of the free Kchess games, both of which as I said will give you how to play information (though rather more comprehensive info on the Kchess program), and getting stuck in.

Hth.

As a rough guide,I'll try and give a summary of the basic rules.

Each player takes a turn to move (white goes first), and moves one piece each turn. Each player has 16 pieces. These include 8 pawns, a king, a queen, two knights, two bishops and two rooks (also called castles). At the beginning of the game, the pawns are on the second rank, the peaces on the first rank. The two castles are on the outer most squares, then the knights, bishops, and in the center two squares the king and queen, with the king on the left of center (E1 for white's king), and the queen on the right of center (D8 for black's queen).

When you move your peace onto the same square an opponent's piece is on, that piece is taken and is removed from the board.
The one exception is the King. You cannot take the King, but when you threaten a square your opponent's king is on, the king is said to be "in check" if the king cannot get out of check next move, ie, cannot move anywhere that isn't threatened by your peaces, that is checkmate and you win.

The peaces each move differently. The pawns are your most basic foot soldiers. they can each move forward only one square, accept on their first move when they move two squares. The kicker with pawns however is that they take diagonally, so if you have a pawn on E4, it is threatening f5 and d5, but not e5.

The castles can move any number of squares horizontally or vertically, the bishops can move any number of squares diagonally, while the queen combines the powers of a castle and a bishop and can move any number of squares in any direction. The king can move just one square in each direction.
the Knight has the unique property of moving in angles, two squares forward and one sideways, or two sideways and one forward or back. For example, a knight on B1 can move to A3 or C3, the knight is also the only peace on the board that can jump over other peaces, including your own, so where as your castle on A1 couldn't move at all if there was a pawn on A2 in front of it, your knight on B1 can still move to the third rank no matter what is in the way.

There are a couple of other special rules about movement but those are the basics.

The reason I've been talking in terms of numbers and letters is that chess board notation works with ranks one to 8, and files a to h like a grid. So A1 is the bottom left hand corner where white's left rook is, A8 holds black's left rook etc. Usually moves are described with this notation in mind.

You'll also notice that sinse black plays facing white, when your playing as black, rank A will be on your right not your left and row 8 will be closest to you (this sounds more confusing than it is when your playing with an actual board).

Hope all this didn't put you off, but at least this should give an idea.

As I said, I've not played chess seriously for about 12 years, I've tried against computers but it just doesn't tend to work sinse I like a physical board, and though I've had a friendly game against friends once or twice it's certainly not as I was.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-07-29 09:54:40

Hi Dark and others.
dark: Thanks a ton for your great post and explanations. That really helped a lot.
So does that mean if you move your white pawn to E5 and the other players black pawn is at f6, the black pawn will be taken?
I'm having issues with the rooks, castles or whatever they are called. I have tried different chess games on the computer and iPHone, and the same happens when I'm trying to move them:
example: If a rook is at B1 and a black nite is at B5 and the rute isn't blocked, the game won't move my rook to B5. I don't get why.
I have done my best to understand all the basics during the last two days, and I think I finally get it. big_smile
Regarding playing chess on the computer or on the phone, yeah, I totally see what you mean. It is quite difficult to do on the iphone, but I think I can do it by some practise. I think it's very individuel if you can manage to play an electronic version of chess, or if you prefer a phicicaly chess board. I know that some people who are playing online, by mail or any other kind of electronic version of chess, some of those people have a chess board where they make the same moves, just to keep track of their game phicically, because there is a lot you need to keep track of.
Since I haven't managed to play a full game of chess yet, I don't know if I will need a chess board or if the navigation on the computer versions or iPhone versions would be enough for me.
I've also contacted a blind chess organisation here in Denmark to learn more, and hopefully to meet other people and try a real game of chess to see what's like. If this is something for me, then I'll consider being a member of this organisation.
Regarding iPhone apps, I have both tried Shedder and Chess wise. Chess wise is really an totally super awesome app, with lots and lots of features. the only thing this app is missing is teaching newbies how to play the game. Lol. Yeah there are hints, but that doesn't help if you don't fully understand the rules. Chess wise have online gameplay using FICS which is a very known system for online chess players, which works in a lot of chess clients. It have puzzles, which I'm not sure on how to explain, but if I understand this correctly, it places the bricks for you in a puzzle, and you need to figure out the smartest moves. You can set up a chess board for reviewing, like I mentioned above which other people are using the real chess boards for. Like, if you for example are playing chess by mail and you have the real game besides you. It have other features as well which I haven't checked out yet.
Regarding programs to the computer: The chess game on Mac OSX is fully accessible and in my opinion, it gives an awesome overview of the chess board. I'm having a strange issue where the game suddenly moves all the bricks to the standard persission without any warnings. I haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong, and I've asked an other blind guy here from my country if he would take a look at this. smile
I have taken a brief look at KChess, but personally I prefer a more up to date program. I have looked at Winboard which seems to be totally awesome because of all the features. It also supports FICS, which means you can play with the same people on the iPhone and using Winboard. big_smile Winboard can also be translated since it's opensource, which I might do, if enough people from the danish blind chess union are interested. To my biggest surprise, I haven't found any accessible chess programs in danish.
For other peoples interest, I'll update the first post with useful links to others who wanna learn chess.

Best regards SLJ.

2015-07-29 10:30:24

Pawns are essentially not much of value. Pawns can move 2 squares if they're still in their row (that being in front of the major pieces), else one. Pawns move vertically. Pawns can move one step diagonally if the square they're moving to has a capturable piece. Pawns can only move forward.
Rooks are to the left and right edge of your major pieces when starting. Rooks can move vertically and horizontally without any limitations.
Knights are next to the rooks. Knights can move in an l shape. To be more precise, Knights are able to move 2 horizontal or vertical squares and one horizontal and vertical square. In the school I studied at we called it as a Knight moving 2 and a half squares.
Bishops are next to the Knights. Bishops can only move diagonally, but they have no limitation on doing so.
The queen is (depending on if the square your king is at is light or dark) to the right of the king or to the left of the king, respectively. The Queen can move without any limitations horizontally, diagonally, and vertically, though they do not have the moves of the Knights.
The king is the cornerstone of the game. The king is between the queen and the bishop. The king can move vertically, horizontally, and diagonally like queens do, but they are only limited to one square per move to move to.
A piece can be captured if and only if by doing so it does not put your king in danger. Similarly, a piece can not be moved if by doing so your king will be exposed.
Hope this helped.

This is not a signature.

2015-07-29 12:39:02

Well Slj, whether someone can play with a computer or with a physical board depends upon them. I personally prefer the overview and find it difficult to understand when looking square by square, it's a similar problem i have to playing sudoku or boggle.
Kchess will also play online and save in various formats, and it's certainly been updated to later versions of windows. I was impressed with the commentary on positions and the advice on screen each move, but it's true that's not the only program out there.
Win board I think works with jaws and Nvda, so might do if you have either of those screen readers. Shreader is one of the most professional and can play up to grand master level (my brother plays against shreader), though I believe that's more advanced than for teaching chess.

As to your questions,  with pawns you need to move diagonally to capture peaces, but are still only able to move one square a turn. If you had a pawn at E4 and your opponent's pawn was at F6, you could move to E5 next turnbut not to f6, indeed if you moved your pawn from E4 to e5 and didn't haveanything else attacking e5 your opponent's pawn on f6 would probably take it next move.

As to the castles, there are two reasons you might not be able to move a castle. Firstly, if there was a pawn on b2, sinse only knights can move through other peaces, usually for this reason the castles down't come out until later in the game.

Secondly, there is one of those other special movement rules I talked about, castling.

If your king and one of your castles haven't moved from their starting positions, and you manage to move the knight and bishop, or the knight bishop and queen out of the way, you can do what is called "castling" this is where your castle moves three squares left, and your king moves behind it, the only time in chess you can move two peaces at once with a single move. So if you were castling on the left as white, you'd need b1, c1 and d1 all free, and then you'd move the king from E1 to b1, and the castle from a1 to c1. If you did it on the right, you'd need f1, and g1 free, and your castle would move from h1 to f1, while your king goes from e1 to g1. 

What I'm guessing is your chess program asked you if you were sure about moving your rook and thus voiding your advantage in castling.

Castling is a bit of an odd maneuver, but it can be a great way of defending your king later in the game rather than having him vulnerable in the center of the board, though I admit it's a whacky one to get used to (a friend of mine accused her husband of cheating when he did it to her during a game), big_smile.

Hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-07-29 12:54:48

I love kess, I play since I was 6 years old, dhruv you explained the rules very well.
@slj after you learn the basics you can start to play full games, you will start to see the many thinking challenges that this game poses.
the castling maneuver it's a good defense but it can be your doom too if you leave your first line unprotected because the king is blocked behind the pawns and if the opponent manages to get there you are doomed.
I love this game mainly because every game is different from the other, the implications are different each time I play.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2015-07-30 04:27:57

I haven't seen this mentioned, I haven't used it myself because I already know chess, so I can't say if it's any good or not.

Accessible Chess Tutor
http://www.audiogames.net/db.php?action … ss%20tutor

One thing that was left ot of the descriptions of how the pieces move. All pieces are blocked by all other pieces except the knight. Hnights can jump over other pieces. So, all the other major pieces are trapped in the back row until at least one pawn in front of them is moved. Knights are not trapped, as they can jump over unmoved pawns.

There are some other movement rules left out, but they are for more advanced play, games are often played that never use those rules.

2015-07-31 08:10:50

Hi guys.
Wow, thank you very much. I'm still doing my best to learn this, but it's quite difficult. I'm sure I'll get used to it though.
I'm trying to get the accessible chess tutor to work.

Best regards SLJ.

2015-08-30 08:35:32

hi guys! One simple question: I have Kches Elite but can not play online! is this right? Bye for now!

Claudio

2015-08-30 15:59:17

if you guys don't find the things here satisfactory to learning chess i can always bake a chess tutor into the chess game i was planning on making. however i wouldn't have this out like tomorrow. i'm in school at the moment and i also have a few other projects i'm working on as well. but if its wanted enough i can bump it up the priority list.

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

2015-08-31 08:53:42

Kyleman: That would be totally awesome! big_smile
Cloudio: I don't know, but Winboard should support online gameplay.

Best regards SLJ.

2015-08-31 10:28:07

yes, SLJ; winboard is fantastic in that but... I think it's not updated! I mean, there are other versions but, for the NVDA users like mee, what's the last version we can play?

Claudio

2015-08-31 17:14:38

I'm not sure on what you mean. What are you missing since you're saying this is not updated? The latest version works just fine with NVDA.

Best regards SLJ.

2015-08-31 18:00:17

ok, so what is the latest version and where could I grab it? Thanks for your help

Claudio

2015-08-31 23:50:33

Google is your friend. I found this in one minute:
http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewtopic.php?t=51528
I messed up the program on my computer, so I thought I was running the latest version which I didn't. You are right that the latest version doesn't work with screenreaders. I'm sorry for the incorrect information. I tried to install the latest version without removing the old version first. This messed something up on my computer, so the game showed me that it ran the latest version, but it used the previous version which works with NVDA, which confused me. Lol.

Best regards SLJ.