2008-07-22 22:55:44

In colladge this coming up submester, that I thought yall might beable to answer. one of the classes that I planning on taking is spanish and one thing they use is some kind of interactive tv thing instead of the teacher being there. How is a class like that adapted for the blind and how do yall mannage math?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-07-23 00:05:22

Hmmmm, with the english Educational system being slightly different, I actually did both of those in secondary school. At the time, I did both spanish and maths in braille, though I used a laptop for everything else, now though, you could certainly read and write spanish with a screen reader, ditto with maths (If I could do formal logic on a laptop, maths would be easy), though you'll probably need things like braille protractors, rulers, and what used to be called german film, ---- stuff which produced tactile lines when written on with a pen, to do geometry. I'd see whoever provides your equipment about those things.

With respect to the Tv, I'd just ask the teacher how that works, and either work out a way of using it, or an alternative teaching method. I'd certainly recommend though you get a accessible spanish/english dictionary, (I had one in braille, but you could equally get one on your laptop).

Generally though the rule is, if you don't talk to people and cooperate with them, they don't know, ----- even during my degree I found myself asking lecturers for diagram descriptions etc, ---- I even worked out a hole different method of learning formal logic with the lecturer sinse I didn't have any quick way of drawing tree diagrams (it really helped that that particular doctor was a really nice chap as well).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-07-23 14:53:06

hmmm. as for the spanish, I'm taking it now do to the fact I didn't do so hot in it in highschool and I need it for what I'm going into. I will look in to those ideas. I'm also planning on transfering this spring because of the ffact I need serten classes that isn't where I'm at. so I hope that goes off without a hitch. I think mtsu will most likely have what I need. going to columbiastate for now hmmmm.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-07-23 15:54:14

I wouldn't take my recommendations as standard Cw, afterall, it's ten years sinse I did spanish or geometry at secondry school and equipment has moved on a lot sinse then. For instance, now if I wanted to do Spanish, I'd just set Hal for it in the control panel, where as ten years ago you needed specialized language packs for hal, it was thus easier to do things in braille.

i'd stil recommend you get physically tactile stuff for maths though, eg tactile graph paper and the braille protractors I mentioned, also remember that bluetack is your best friend for marking things, there were also great things like long sticky strings called wicky sticks which are great for graphs, ---- though it takes ages to do tree diagrams with them (as I attempted first in formal logic).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)