2015-07-28 21:24:03 (edited by jack 2015-08-15 17:49:41)

Hi to anyone using an external. Well, I am having a problem with this external, namely a simpletech g-drive mobile usb, 1terabyte hard drive, on a mac. I have 2 partitions on it on the mac, the main one that has all my data and the smaller one, which for a while stored a windows8.1 vhd found on this forum, but seeing as you can't boot into that on mac there's no need for that anymore so if I get this thing fixed I'm repartitioning the drive. But anyway, I plug this thing in, it spins up just fine no weird noises or anything. In findder, the smaller partition shows up just fine, but the main partition just will not show up! I waited a bit only to see the same result. In disk utility the thing doesn't even load the disks and the table remains empty. After several reboots, trying both usb ports on my machine, same thing happens. But my data can't be gone for good as the second partition I'm able to access my data just fine. Or was, rather, because I deleted that vhd myself. The thing is, I don't wanna send this thing to a repair shop, this hd contains time machine backups that include my eitire system, which in turn include unencripted private information and files, like passwords to log into websites and such. I doubt my cookies are encripted. I am paranoid that if I put that drive into the hands of someone I don't know, that they could secretly collect all my data by the time they're done repairing the drive. When it comes to handing out stuff with information, trust is definitely something I cannot and will not just give out, unless I know the person real well of course. I've tried the data recovery service stellar phoenix but that is horribly inaccessible. Anyone know of anything I can do to repair this disk or recover the data? I cannot afford to lose 400gb of data.

2015-07-29 00:06:51

I'll also add that this was right after I upgraded my mac because of a os10.11 beta update

2015-12-29 20:46:41

hi jack, did you had the HDD plugged in, while the mac was upgrading?

There's a place for me in this universe.

2015-12-29 22:07:29

something you could possibly try,
I don't know if mac OS has something like discpart on windows.
But in windows, you can usually see the raw partitions as they are placed on a drive.
Try out a live cd of Linux and leave the drive connected, see what and if it will recognize it in the drives list when you try to  view the disks connected to it.
Another thing you could try though this may void the manufacturer's servicing period, take the drive out of its casing put it in an enclosure and connect it as if it were a regular USB hard drive.
Also, something else to check in general, how much space do you have left on the drive vs what is being used? If you have 400 gb more than you remember having, you can bet the data you loved so dearly has gone down the digital pit.
Hope some or most of this helps...

2015-12-29 22:11:45

WEll it's fixed now. No, I didn't have it plugged in during the upgrade. I do, however, have it plugged in mostly 24/7 to run my windows xp virtual machine. Now and then I'll give it a short break, but not often.

2015-12-30 00:41:37

If you unplug a drive without first ejecting it, OS X gets quite annoyed with you. More importantly to this discussion the next time you connect the drive it runs a scan to see if it has any errors, but while this scan is running the drive shows up absolutely nowhere which is the really confusing part. Usually, this scan shouldn't take more than 30 seconds to a minute but I have seen it take much longer once or twice. So, if you connect your drive, it spins up but you don't see it, just give it a few minutes and it should pop up in finder as normal.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>