2015-07-25 01:08:16

Hi all,
I probably ought not to post in the state I am, but fortunately I am not doing anyone any harm, so here goes anyway:
So my question goes around rejection. At this point in my life, I'm thinking about rejection more in the romantic sense; you declare your love to someone and they turn it down without so much as a thought. However, I always found in my life that I find it tough to deal with any kind of rejection. I want to know from all the wise forumites, how would you deal with rejection? Mind you, this can range from anything, to not being accepted for that job you always wanted, to not being accepted for the role you wanted to act/sing; anything for that matter.
Perhaps I should never have posted this, but admittedly I had a long night and this was on my mind, and I just need some good advice.
Why is rejection of any kind just so damn hard to handle?

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
@bcs993 on twitter, feel free to follow!

2015-07-25 01:45:09

In my life time of playing games (video/card/board), there have been many times I would look at someone's approach and immediately dislike it.  Perhaps their strategy seemed illogical or was based on risks that were too high, but in the end the person did really well.  Once I had encountered this enough times, I realized that when everything is said and done... what truly judges a strategy/plan are the results.

That sounded off-topic, but I do feel I can connect it to the current conversation.

While on the surface I do not like the idea... in my life, the people who seem to have the easiest time with rejection are the ones who force themselves to get angry at the person/situation they were rejected from.  I guess it helps them push away any feelings of inadequacy and shift the blame onto the "fool who missed out because he/she was too stupid to see how good you are."

Now to me it seems like a somewhat bad attitude to take, constantly shifting blame onto others when they don't accept/approve of you in some way, but I certainly cannot argue with the results.  The people I know who employ this approach on a daily basis, seriously walk around feeling like they are King of the world.  Nothing ever seems to wear them down because in their own mind they are flawless images of perfection, and everyone else is just too stupid to understand that at times.

I'm not backing this idea 100%, but it might be worth "trying it on for a while", just to see if it works for you.  I'm sure it takes some practice and time to really get your brain used to thinking that way, but it could be the key.

I hope this helps in some way.  smile

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2015-07-25 01:46:44 (edited by jack 2015-07-25 01:47:06)

In general, it's the feling of being turned down that's a discouragement mechanism no matter what the situation is. My advice, depending on the situation, either try to move on and keep at it, or in the romantic sense just try not to let depressing thought get to you. It may be the feeling that you caused the rejection, but look at it this way. People have their reasons for rejection but deep down you know it's almost never your fault. Yeah, there's my two cents worth

2015-07-25 03:06:26 (edited by brad 2015-07-25 03:12:59)

Hello;

Meditation is a great way to let go of stresses in life. As people who read my posts would know; I consider myself a spiritualist. This means to me that all those crazy things you ehar about astral projection, aliens, angels, ghosts, demons, I believe in that and more. smile So what does this have to do with rejection? Well; going back to meditation, if you look up how to meditate, it doesn't even have to be on a spiritual level, you'll hopefully find that it works out great for you.

Hear are some articles that may help.

Note, none of these articles are to do with meditation, as far as I know. They contain some things you might not have known that could help you in life.

30 Things to start doing for yourself.

This article discusses things you can do in your everyday life to help you achieve a higher state of being.

30 Things to start doing for yourself

30 things to stop doing to yourself.

I have not read this article yet but i hope it helps.

30 things to stop doing to yourself

The art of letting go.

Here's another one I've not read fully but I did skim it. This should hopefully help you with doubt and or rejection.

The art of letting go

I hope this helps and that you manage to learn from this experience you're having.

I'm gone for real :)

2015-07-25 05:07:36

The way I handle rejection is pretty simple, I simply convince myself that it is they who are losing out, not me. It isn't easy at first, buy as you adopt and use this approach, each time, it's a little easier.

2015-07-25 08:32:01 (edited by afrim 2015-07-25 08:40:47)

Consider rejection as a part of your life. There will be times when you will fail to do something, from hard and long tests in school, to applying for a job and being refused. Also, there will be other times when you’ll succeed triumphantly and that will bring a great optimism to you which will help you go ahead. On the 21st of June, I got the results of my last final tests. They were not very pleasing and I am 100% sure the results were manipulated, with the intention of measuring the number of students will have to go to university on this upcoming October. To be honest, I wasn’t really satisfied with the results because they didn’t really express my level, but I didn’t have support from anybody, and I knew I would be thrown in the towel. But that kind of rejection gave me a really high hopefulness to show off myself at the university, and tell others what can I really do. This rejection, to be honest with you is the reason for me to study harder than ever before and spend all my energy on studies. Just because I was assessed unfairly and I felt really bad those days. I guess you can imagine what kind of anxiety you get when something unfair is done to you. This might be a little overestimated but I really want to tell what can I do and if I get assessed unfairly again, I don’t know what would I do.  Teachers and lecturers at the university feel really conceited.
If you get refused by an employee, just move on to the next step or alternative. In this way you can keep your stress at the same level.
I got refused by a company just about a month ago. I was looking to get employed at a call centre company, and they stated they couldn’t hire me there, because the information cannot be touched, because I told them I can bring my own laptop to work with it because things might be easier. They said no, and when I told them to install the screen reader on one of the computers there, they said, “I’m really sorry. I can’t help you.”
This ain’t the same when you’re applying for your favourite job though.
Also, when you are in a situation when you are rejected, engage yourself in different activities. That might help.
When you apply for a job, be prepared to get away with both sides. Working, or staying where you were previously.

2015-07-25 17:16:53

Hi,

There are many ways of dealing with being rejected. The first thing to really do is to assess what you've done. Perhaps you've been rejected because you've said something fowl.The second thing to do is to keep patient and enjoy the tribulation you're suffering. Look at the posatives. For example,  if your Wife divorced you, you could think, "well, there's lots of good in this! The fact that I can bear it makes me a stronger person, so if I'm rejected like this ever again, I can deal with it better!" At the moment of rejection, try to go to a quiet space and calm down. Do your best to not think about the rejection as much as possible. To seek refuge and comfort in a higher power you believe in and from others around you can work too. Another way to deal with it is to wait for a few days. Once the air is cool, really take the time to reflect and think, "who's in the right?" Don't try to justify your position during the moment of rejection otherwise you'll make it worse. For instance, say you had a friend called Sam, and he rejected you because of some reason. A few days later, you manage to get together with him and you explain your problem. In this way, you can talk calmly together. Hope this helps.

2015-07-27 10:56:25

Well well. I've been rejected many times. Rejection is one of those dreaded walks of life that we all have to deal with. Listen to somw u music, metitate, eat. Yes, eating does reduce stress. I do all 3 when I get stressed.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2015-07-27 14:00:22

I personally am not so keen on the its them who are losing out approach, because people who consider themselves above others as a result of rejection are usually unpleasant people, or that's at least what I've found. If and only if you have very good arguments to back up your claim that it really was not your fault, then you might be able to get away with it. Otherwise its very possible to turn into an arrogant person, which people tend not to like and which might even result in further rejections in the future. IMO it is best to first evaluate the situation thoroughly, and try to understand both sides of a story before coming to a conclusion and acting on that. And sometimes you're simply not what the other person is looking for, even for job applications etc.

2015-07-27 21:58:23

Subscribing to online forums can also help. For example,, if you are rejected because of simply who you are, if you're abused by parents or someone and can't actually report it to police, you cann subscribe to forums dealing with those sorts of things and maybe there are those who share your experiences and can help comfort you. Remember, the best thing is to always  be posative. We all have moments where we just break down, but even in those moments we must aim to do our best. Remember, after every hardship comes ease