2015-07-16 17:37:55

This is a topic for discussion of the other game by Huw, aka Wastelander, Warsim. Unlike the Wastes, the game is a strategic war game where you build up your kingdom by hiering soldiers, peasants and knights, fight randomly generated other kingdoms including bandits, goblins and independent cities, make alliances, hier champions to fight in arena tournaments for you and explore the world.

I'll be honest I've been pplaying the wastes so much I haven't investigated warsim that far other than to say it is %100 accessible, there is no ascii, just numbered menus and standard console window stuff.

You can find the game Here on tinyupload (just click on the link that says warsim.exe to download), and for instructions there is This youtube tutorial on warsim

Apparently the game isn't currently in development so this is the latest version, but there is a lot to play, albeit some aspects such as factional wars and some of the arena fights might make it into the wastes at a later time.

So, enjoy!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-07-16 20:06:32

I think, i would absolutely love this game in german language. English is sometimes a little hard. But i am still trying. And damn, i love so much all the stuff you can do! Hey Wastelander, this is an absolutely awesome game! I never thought such an easy control would work to make such a complex game. I hope you will return for developing some day.
Maybe someone can answer me a question.
There is something i dont understand. I am starting in easymode and it tells me i got 5000 gold. But the later text tells me i got 0 gold. Where is my mooooooooney? HAHA. I know i have to pay my soldiers and so on. But do the 5000 of gold disapear so simply in one turn?
Oh my gosh i would love to have such a game in space with some nice audioenviroment! Huuuh, thiiis would be great! OK, i am dreaming!

2015-07-16 20:35:10

firefly82 wrote:

I think, i would absolutely love this game in german language. English is sometimes a little hard. But i am still trying. And damn, i love so much all the stuff you can do! Hey Wastelander, this is an absolutely awesome game! I never thought such an easy control would work to make such a complex game. I hope you will return for developing some day.
Maybe someone can answer me a question.
There is something i dont understand. I am starting in easymode and it tells me i got 5000 gold. But the later text tells me i got 0 gold. Where is my mooooooooney? HAHA. I know i have to pay my soldiers and so on. But do the 5000 of gold disapear so simply in one turn?
Oh my gosh i would love to have such a game in space with some nice audioenviroment! Huuuh, thiiis would be great! OK, i am dreaming!

Glad you like it firefly, if you check your reports at the end of each turn you will see where the money is going but its usually one of the bandit groups, I would recommend going into diplomacy with the main bandits and asking for truce (they always agree) and then constantly pummeling the smaller groups or hiring mercenaries if you can until they are destroyed

Also forgive outlaws in the laws menu and you will find bandits come to join your cause, they will raid other nations for you and give you the gold they steal

Last Free Version of Warsim (0.6.8.7) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewnm4cehswu6m … m.zip?dl=1
Steam version of Warsim (0.7) - http://store.steampowered.com/app/65954 … na/?beta=0
Itch.io Version of Warsim (0.7) - https://huw2k8.itch.io/warsim

2015-07-16 20:47:30

Hi Wastelander!
HAHA, thats exactly what i am doing now. Oooh i am such a boring peace-loving pacifist. Sure fighting is fun, but i love if it is also possible to avoyd War mourning pain and death.
HAHA, maybe i watched too many episodes of star trek.
Oh maybe i found a bad bug. If i enter the artefacts menu i cant go back and have to cancel the game.

May i ask a little question? Would it be possible to bring in Multiplayersupport? You realy dont have to! I only wanna know if it would be possible.

2015-07-16 21:02:12

firefly82 wrote:

Hi Wastelander!
HAHA, thats exactly what i am doing now. Oooh i am such a boring peace-loving pacifist. Sure fighting is fun, but i love if it is also possible to avoyd War mourning pain and death.
HAHA, maybe i watched too many episodes of star trek.
Oh maybe i found a bad bug. If i enter the artefacts menu i cant go back and have to cancel the game.

May i ask a little question? Would it be possible to bring in Multiplayersupport? You realy dont have to! I only wanna know if it would be possible.

Anything's possible with game development, but unfortunately I'm not working on warsim anymore and making it multiplayer would be a huge commitment for me (never worked with mutliplayer stuff before)

Last Free Version of Warsim (0.6.8.7) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewnm4cehswu6m … m.zip?dl=1
Steam version of Warsim (0.7) - http://store.steampowered.com/app/65954 … na/?beta=0

2015-07-16 21:34:57

Hi, I clicked the warsim.exe link on tinyUpload.com and was told that the download was blocked because it contained a virus. Is this true?/

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2015-07-16 21:39:25

keyIsFull wrote:

Hi, I clicked the warsim.exe link on tinyUpload.com and was told that the download was blocked because it contained a virus. Is this true?/

Likely an overzelous anti-virus that assumes every .exe you download is suspicious cause it doesn't come in a winrar folder or something, it's fine

2015-07-16 22:01:47 (edited by keyIsFull 2015-07-16 22:03:40)

Also, twice I have ran into a problem where the game says "press any key to continue" and no matter what I press, it just auto plays itself without giving me any chances to input.
Edit: the problem occurs if you hit \ at any of the numbered menus.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2015-07-16 22:29:26

Yeah, i noticed that too. And i had another problem. Sometimes some of the options simply dont work. Last time 0 gave no reaction so i had to conquer a fort by the 1 option. And after that the game crashed with the error mentioned by keyIsFull.

2015-07-16 23:02:35

Hello,
@key: if you downloaded through firefox, try redownloading it. The file will be blocked again, but this time, right click it in your download list, as soon as it's done. Browse the context menu, and there should now be an unblock option a little way down.

2015-07-16 23:14:09

@Firefly, I personally don't think we need a multiplayer war sim game, there are already plenty knocking around in accessible form from the strategic ones like time of conflict and it's audio maps and sound rts, to the browser based ones like desert operations, shadowmeer, rise of chaos, 1000 ad etc.

Go check the db or some of the links on the online games page of whitestick.co.uk if your interested.
Single player war stratogy games however are something we don't have much of, especially ones with random generation of enemies and such, so I'm definitely interested in this one and plan to explore it completely when I can.

@Wastelander, I look forward to trying the game out, even if your not working on it anymore it struck me there was a lot there, though I hope work doesn't peter out on the wastes.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-07-17 03:35:10

Yeah dark you are wright and wrong at the same time. I like both. offline and online games. It is nice to play something against friends. But as i said, you are also wright. Offline games a somehow a little bit more special.

I got another question. Maybe wastelander or someone else can help me. Is there a way to prevent Bandits from steeling all my money? I am ending often on 0 gold. I am keeping my gold in the bank but if i do so it cant be used for paying my troops. Thats a little dilemma sometimes.

2015-07-17 03:45:22

Firefly

My trick is...

Sell all soldiers
increase soldiers wages to max (5)
turn all knights into trainers
enact the forcefull enlistment law

that way...

selling soldiers gets you an income
increased wages mean more soldiers come to your cause
trainers dont cost anything I think, also they turn peasants into soldiers you can sell
forceful enlist ment gives you twice as many people but they are peasants, trainers will turn them into soldiers

rince and repeat

make sure you have 0 soldiers at the end of each turn and it costs you nothing, but selling them nets you money to put in the bank

2015-07-17 09:27:01

@firefly, it wasn't about offline games being more special, it's just that there are as I said, already many online games similar to warsim, ie, build up your army and attack other people, whether on the internet or the iphone. Warsim is interesting to me precisely because! your fighting what the game can randomly throw at you, not a million or so other players in a "who can minimax the best" war.

2015-07-17 18:07:49

Hi Dark!
Yes yes, i absolutely get your point. But in times everyone is trying to make onlinegames offlinegames became a little bit more  special for me.
Another point is, i dont like the controllings in Browsergames.

Hey Wastelander!
HAHA! Very interesting tricks! Very very funny!
OK, realy! I know you dont work on this game anymore. But please please please! Think about to take some time only to fix those two little things allready mentioned. It is realy frustrating to play 2 hours and then the game crashes.
Sometimes 0 for exit doesnt work.
And the other bug is this "press any key to continue" till death problem!
Realy! This warsim is absolutely too awesome to keep it with these bugs!
Or you could do something else for a workarround by bringing in an option to save the game!
Best wishes from Germany!

2015-07-17 20:45:06

Hello,
I don't know if it will be fixed or not, I've found another bug which causes autoplay, please don't take the game down or anything because of them because the game is probably one of the best text games I've played in a while, I'm finding it slightly better than the wastes at the moment but only by a marjin. I was doing very well, I ended up buying an arena. I tried to set the entry fee, but nothing happened. I then tried typing 10k, and another autoplay instance occurred.

2015-07-18 19:56:21

Hi Wastelander!
I hope you still following this topic!
I hope you can help me with two questions:
The first is about bribing
If i chose to bribe one  of the five minor groups of bandits so that there is a truce. Wille they be relevant in the future? Will some of them join my army or can i trade with them? Will they become a new kingdom?
Second question is about the loan. When and how do i have to pay it back? I saw no options for that.
Ooh sorry, but i have to say it again! i love this game!
Very best wishes!

2015-09-20 04:21:51

I too would like to say that this is quite a little gem.
I've now spent several hours on it, and am quite enjoying doing so.
My only concern as others have mentioned is the "autoplay" issue. Once the bug is triggered, it looks like the game is continually ending turns as soon as you press a key. It'd be absolutely awesome if that one bug could be fixed.
I've also noticed a crash bug when raiding enemies for gold: if you would gain more than around 6000, the game crashes. This is predictably consistent.
Other than those two bugs this is a really neat little game, and I suspect I'm going to keep trying desperately to avoid the crashes just long enough to win.

2015-09-20 11:35:49

people i have problem. When i try do download game from link from first post i can do that becouse this:
Access denied
Access to the web page was blocked.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/download.php … 5306124570
The web page is on the list of websites with potentially dangerous content.
Can any post another link, or get me advice what to do...

2015-09-20 15:21:08

hi. how can I read the information with nvda? when I do something it reads what I did but how can I review the messages? sometimes is hard to remember what each number does.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2015-09-20 20:37:33

People, how can I sell a soldiers and how to turn all knights to trainers?

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2015-09-22 06:13:05

hi. I have a strange bug with your game aside that I can't read what's on the screen with nvda. when I try to change a law I can't go back to other menus and whatever I press it just reads me the kingdom menu and the law menu even if I don't write a number it does this with any key and imputing keys doesn't work so I have to close it.

Stephen King

2015-09-22 06:51:31

btw I'm using a windows 7 64 bit machine could this be the reason for my problems?

Stephen King

2015-09-24 16:57:40

Press NVDA+num-pad5 (I don't know laptop key) and that's all!

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2015-09-24 17:29:29

I have the numpad keys but it doesn't work... when I press it it just tells me the path of the file and the file name like this: d:\downloads\warsim.exe that's all what it reads... moving with the numpad numbers just gets me out of the object. if I go in the object with nvda + numpad 2 I have other objects like the system menu and the scrolling menu and that's all.

Stephen King