2015-07-14 21:10:49 (edited by pelantas 2015-07-14 21:13:07)

hello all,

Today i was programming a lot to the audiogame we have in building stages right now, your_adventure. for example, the sewers had got a huge upgrade, makes exploring it possible and random encounters possible. the walking is still done by using the menu system of the game.

after this introduction i want to ask, since our final goal is selling this game to the greater public and not only the blind community, how can we add it to the steam community?
I am poking around a little how we can reach the greater part of the gamers world and so bringing our product to a greater community.

my questions are:

1. what do i need to add it to the steam community
2. is the community willing to pay for it via the steam platform?
3. can a game written in bgt run via the steam platform? (i deliver it as a .exe file)

I want to add it to steam to generate a starting income, what we can use to purchase sound libraries and continueing development along the way.
This ideas are still in the starting stages, but itis sure this is a commercial game forthe members don't knowing this. this bèta doesn't giving to much content yet, so we desided to don't sell this beta. it is possible that it will become a payed game within the near future. but don'tpinpoint me on that.
I of course will add a option to our website as well for the people don't using or wanting to use steam, so the game still can be purchased.

hope to hear from you soon.

greetz mike

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2015-07-14 23:22:33

Steam is the most inaccessible platform I know of... I can use it because I have limited vision and under magnification, I can read the screen. I cannot navigate it with a screen reader though. I do have steam games, about 90 or so. But for the blind community, it would be a bad choice because of how inaccessible it is. Also I don't know anything about getting a game on steam.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2015-07-14 23:45:00

Ironcross is correct. Unless steam's access changes drastically it's an amazingly bad idea for a platform, ---- yes I know people have used ocr and screen guess work and obscure Nvda addons and god knows what else, but simple question, do sighted users of steam need to expend that much effort?

So, if the game were sold exclusively through steam, this site would not support it with news or a db entry.
That being said, note the word "Exclusively" above. It is certainly possible to sell games through steam and then sell them directly via the developer's site too, look at Smugglers and the choiceofgames, when your ready to sell games, that might be an option, Steam to reach the wider community, and a stand alone version sold directly from your site for everyone who cannot use or does not like steam.

Then there is the question of whether steam will in fact do what you want. As far as I understand (and bare in mind it's not something I've looked into completely), to get games listed on steam you need to propose they be sold on steam, and then have lots of Steam users vote as much which will result in a "green light" letting your games be sold through Steam. Thus you already need a pretty healthy fanbase before you even start, indeed in this respect Steam likely wouldn't help you reach the sighted community sinse only a small number of people in the blind community can use the thing, and sighted steam users are unlikely to vote for an audiogame (and I think your number of votes needs to be fairly large and in a pretty short time).

Lastly, to be brutally and bluntly honest, thinking about selling your games as this stage is extremely premature, much less selling them on a cut throat,  highly competitive platform like Steam (you should've seem some of the nasty remarks I saw posted on the steam forum about the Smugglers games). You would first need an amazingly, astoundingly, unbelievably good audiogame to appeal to the Steam community, likely something of the quality of Swamp, ---- particularly sinse basically a large percentage of the games sold through STeam are First person shooters, and even then, sinse steam tends to be full of 3D graphics freaks, you may well get a lot of cold shoulder.

Ffirst, work on developing games, then when you've developed something actually wort selling, consider how to advertise it to the sighted community, but that is still a ways off yet methinks.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-07-15 00:13:07 (edited by magurp244 2015-07-15 00:15:38)

Steam is certainly the most popular PC choice for games, but getting on it is another question entirely. Discoverability and getting on Steam is a common complaint in sighted gaming, and the idea of an entrenched culture that votes for a particular set of games is definitely a concern, although Steam isn't necessarily above hand picking them sometimes either.

You may find this link helpful: (http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/FAQ.php)

It seems a petition's also been started for steam to be more accessible to the non-sighted community:
(https://www.change.org/p/valve-corporat … red-people)

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2015-07-15 02:14:35

well if you must then you must.
I suggest ich.io its an indi games site, its selling more than games, its paypal supported out the box and much more.
Its accessable and it needs no clients or anything installed or anything like that.
I am not sure about gog.com but the site looked quite messy when I last looked.
Asura is another one and while its easy to get on the client sucks.

2015-07-15 09:13:32

Regardless of how accessible the client is, I won't buy any game that requires running a distribution client along with the game.

In my experience when I did use clients like Steam and Origin, and others. When there was a problem running the game, nine times out of ten, the problem was with the distribution client and not the game.

2015-07-15 09:18:31

@magurp244 I have seen the petition for accesssibility to steam and even signed it, however whether anything will come of it I don't know. Same old debate about mainstream companies showing interest in accessibility, namely money and the blind community not having enough of it. Plus as I said, while there certainly are! games on steam that aren't fps, I've heard some pretty nasty reports from developers of games even with retro graphics let alone text. I know choiceofgames run major campaigns each time they try to get one of their titles on steam, including getting all their none steam customers to vote because the majority of the general steam users are so wedded to big 3D graphics and call of duty style fps, god knows what an audiogame would be like there.

Of course, I could be proved wrong, and if this petition achieves some good and steam becomes  accessible, and lots of audiogames get sold through it that would be amazing, but I'm afraid past experience isn't encouraging me.

Myself, I think Crashmaster's suggestion of finding a reseller and selling a stand alone version as opposed to going with a specific client like steam is the best I've heard thus far.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-07-15 09:42:59

Although I don't know how well it did or not, if I recall correctly, Grail to the Thief is on Steam, it can also be purchased through the author's web site as well. I believe he uses PayPal for that. It would be interesting to know what percentage of his sales were through Steam. I wouldn't be surprised if he sells more copies outside of Steam.

2015-07-15 09:55:07

hi all,

Thanks for the replies. as i said, it was just poking around a little if the audiogames.net community was willing to go through all the mass of steam. i am not a great fan of setting up the steam client myself either. but i thought: "well as it is what the community wants, why not?".
Now i know better, the community isn't a big fan of it either. so i will let the steam idea go.
However the idea of crashmaster of ich.io, i certainly will look in before i deside to sell it via there as well.

but first the audiogame will need more content and some more tweaks.

thanks a lot.

greetz mike

Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:

2015-07-15 17:24:49

The last time I looked at gog.com they had no client of any type, however, I'm not sure they'd be appropriate, as their name, Good Old Games, implies, they primarily sell old games. So if your games are new, I doubt they'd even be interested. But it wouldn't hurt anything to ask if you wanted to.

2015-07-15 19:09:10

Depending on when you want to release the game, it may be possible to release it through GuideDog.  The service is still pretty raw, but we're at the point where we could probably bring on one or two more developers.  What are you using to develop the game, what platforms do you expect it to run on?

2015-07-15 19:46:26

hello dentin,

I make use of the bgt engine, so it is pretty likely it only will be released for windows machines only.

But the game won't be fully done for a large period of time. i am editting the first areas a little before i will add more content.
But is it possible with guidedog, when you want to add me to the system, to post early bèta's and when we want to start selling the thing to add the price?

just curious.

greetz mike

2015-07-16 01:53:39 (edited by daigonite 2015-07-16 01:54:53)

From my experience Steam isn't even usable with a keyboard layout. I've tried to use it several times with a screen reader I'm not able to do anything. Hell, even the chat windows aren't accessible. Which is disappointing since it could be a really great distribution platform. I haven't tried Origin but Origin has other issues lol.

I wonder if audiogames should just build it's own java client or something? I had an idea like that a few years ago but I think I was super over ambitious about it.

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2015-07-16 09:43:49

Loll Daigonite, Audiogames own client" is pretty much what Guidedog is, though the eventual plan I believe according to the documentation on it's site is to have all sorts of games sold through it. at the moment it has audiogames, the Alteraeon mud, and will have stelleraeon when it is released, though I think Dentin's eventual plan is to have graphical games on there as well thus encouraging the hole intigration business.

@Pelantas, on the subject of betas, might I suggest you post them here to begin with for feedback if nothing else, sinse people's input could likely help develop your work into something of commercial standard.

2015-07-16 10:00:05

I know I'm a little late to the discussion here, but I want to argue in favour of steam.  Contrary to popular belief, Steam is functional, if partially, with NVDA.  It just takes patience, which I will say bluntly, doesn't seem to be forthcoming with certain people.  I will attempt to address some of the issues listed above, but forgive me if I miss anything.

@Dark
You stated in your first post on this discussion that "people have used ocr and screen guess work and obscure Nvda addons and god knows what else".  I know you go on to state that sighted people don't have to expend "that much effort" and in doing so I will acknowledge that you are quite correct.  However, I notice flaws in your and other people's arguments that I will address here.

The first flaw I want to bring up is the fact that I have never, in the time I've used Steam, had to use any "obscure NVDA addons" or "OCR".  In fact, you don't have to modify NVDA at all to use Steam, it's Steam that needs modification (in the sense that you only need sighted help for disabling what I considered to be a far too overprotective security system called Steam Guard.)  Once the account is set up and the security system/captcha's solved where necessary, the steam system is pretty much totally usable. Game invites, downloading, removing, adjusting launch options etc are all possible and easy enough to get going.

@Ironcross32
Although I know your post is one of opinion - clearly identifyable in your use of the words "the most inaccessible client I know of", I am not surewhether you've looked at the steam or the skullgirls guides.  This is because they pretty much disprove the theory that you have to have any vision at all to use steam.

@daigonite
Whilst I greatly admire your perseverence with Steam and screen reader usage, especially considering your sighted background as well, Steam does require the use of flat review to get it to work with NVDA.  Once you get flat review as a concept it's not too hard, but it can be a little tricky at first.

@everyone
Whilst I acknowledge that it can be difficult for a lot of people on here to use Steam for whatever reason, I also think that, if tackled in the right way, it could become a more viable distribution platform than Guide Dog Games.  Whilst I'm really not a fan of the name (at least at present), I understand that the concept is the same.  However, AVG (which I refuse to uninstall due to me having no knowledge of a better alternative at this point in time) has had no end of problems with the client.  Steam, however, causes no such issue and consequently works 99.9% of the time.  If there is a problem, it's rarely, if ever due to the distribution platform, but normally (for me at least) due to my internet connection at the time of launch.

Additionally, Steam does have an offline mode, unlike it's smaller, currently blind-centric competitor.  This means that if ever I want to play Mortal Kombat, Skullgirls or any other game of my choosing on the go or without an internet connection, I can do so.  That in addition to it supporting Pay Pal makes it a clear front runner at the current moment.

I know GDG is currently in the process of trying to get off the ground as well, so I am aware of the fact that these quibbles may be ironed out in the future.  As a result, I won't rule out the relative underdog completely, but will say that I believe it'll be some time before it comes up to Steam in level of functionality and ease of use.

I cannot currently speak for whether the voting system and the greenlighting strategies employed by Valve are as difficult to work with as you say, but I understand that it could present a problem.

I will conclude this post by saying that whilst I appreciate what has been said and why it has been said, in what capacity I can, I also believe that Steam could be a viable distribution mechanism for those who can and choose to use it.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2015-07-16 13:23:22

hi,

I received your mudmail via alter dentin. i will reply as soon as i have completed this message.

This message is ment to telling the community what will be included in the next beta of your_adventure. if this belongs somewhere else i will move it:

1. redisigned world. it makes use of the menu system, but you can't access all locations from a single menu anymore. you now have to walk to a location, by using the menu's, like the dark grimoire uses his navigation.
2. redisigned sewer system. there isn't an option "fight a creature" anymore. you should enter the sewers and walk around a little before you will encounter something.
3. as you probably have guessed, random encounters (currently only in the sewers).As you notice, this is quite some work to redisign. but i am sure the community will love it.

Thats all i cna come up with for now...

I am not sure when thisrelease will be ready, but i am aiming on pretty soon.

Greetz mike

2015-07-16 17:34:50

Pelantas - there's already a BGT interface for GuideDog, and yes, we can do the beta mode thing prior to sales.  That's roughly what VGA has been doing with their games.

2015-07-16 18:51:40

@sightless combat, bare in mind "accessible" in the sense i mean it means that a blind person can do something with equivalent effort to a sighted person, not whether a thing is possible.
So, if something requires sighted help ocr etc,  then it is not accessible pure and simple. This isn't to say that you or anyone else shouldn't! use it if you like, that's a personal matter, only that in the definition of "accessible games" recommended by this site it isn't.

Consider, there are blind people who quite successfully have learnt to play the original super mario brothers by trial and error, eg, hold right for so long, then press jump and hold for so long, then run right for so long. Theoretically, you could play a large percentage of games this way if you expended enough effort or indeed if you had a constant sighted assistant telling you to do what when.

This doesn't mean mario is an accessible game though. A sighted person will still complete the game faaaaaar! more quickly and with far less memorization and over all effort expended than a blind person using this method.

That is the deal with steam. Until it is equally possible for a blind person to use with the same effort as a sighted person, ie, all elements on pages are directly readable with a screen reader, there are no sections requiring sighted assistance or captchas etc, steam will remain inaccessible in the strict sense. Whether people have the patience to use it (or a ready sighted assistant), is up to them, however accusing someone of  "lacking patience" is probably not helpful, after all would you tell a paraplegic person in a wheel chair "oh that building doesn't need a ramp, just crawl up the stairs on your hands dragging your legs behind you, you just lack patience" if the parapelegic stated that she/he didn't want to go to said building? methinks not.

@Pelantas, sounds good, though bare in mind what I said about judgement previously.  what you had before was fine, but if a player is just hitting a button and waiting for a timer, that might not be such a good move gameplay wise sinse your lyable to lose their interest.
This is why Drakor has combat with the  chosen set of skills, while crafting is entirely walk away from the computer automatic.

2015-07-16 19:44:01 (edited by daigonite 2015-07-16 19:55:31)

Dark wrote:

Loll Daigonite, Audiogames own client" is pretty much what Guidedog is, though the eventual plan I believe according to the documentation on it's site is to have all sorts of games sold through it. at the moment it has audiogames, the Alteraeon mud, and will have stelleraeon when it is released, though I think Dentin's eventual plan is to have graphical games on there as well thus encouraging the hole intigration business.

Steam has some extended functionality beyond just buying and playing games. You have friend lists, can chat with them, invite them to games, trade inventory, gift games, easy access to forums and communities... all in the client.

I don't know much about Guide Dog but yeah, Steam probably has more functionality, and it also has a lot more visibility.

In my opinion it may be a good idea for some audio game developers to share their works on both if at all possible. I don't know what Steam's regulations are on that; if they restrict access to Steam only for some reason then Steam should NOT be used. Some audio games could really connect well with a sighted audience depending on the nature of them.

The problem is that sighted players don't really want to play a blind game they've already played before, so some spin is needed.

For example, I wanted to write a braille tutor game, which teaches the different braille characters through an RPG game (think paper mario but putting in braille characters instead of quicktime events for attacks). I could make two versions of this game, an accessible version where blind people could play the game but also a Steam release that has a fully graphical layout and removes the accessibility (since Steam is inaccessible in of itself and it may cause conflicts if it can't connect with a screen reader). It works because from a blind perspective it's a new RPG with a fun mechanic that uses something that pretty much most people playing these games can use (and if they don't they learn a valuable skill), while to sighted players it offers a fun, unique and not-to-hard-to-learn mechanic for them to work with, while again, learning a useful skill (although less useful for them).

Problem is I suck with visual interfaces so...

Another interesting idea is to build games where you play as a blind person going around trying to achieve certain tasks. My friend was talking for example about a submarine game he was playing and I think that could be very interesting having a blind mechanic where a player needs to navigate using sound and cues alone as opposed to seeing what's going on. That alone could attract attention to the game, but it should really be part of the experience, not just "list of everything to be accessible" sort of deal.

There's also the idea of adding visuals to currently blind games but that puts you in a very competitive position. Now you're basically just another sighted game on the market, with only the distinction that blind people can play your game to push it apart. Again, that little extra spin is key to having any access to the sighted market.

I mean it's kind of disappointing too, there are a lot of titles that with a little here and there would be completely accessible (FNAF comes to mind, unless I'm mistaken). And there's no excuse for Steam being so inaccessible other than the fact that blind people don't use it.

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2015-07-16 22:08:00

@dark
When I made that point about a lack of patience, I was merely referring to the quick dismissals the majority of people here appear to give Steam as a platform.  Additionally, I pulled you up on your wording simply because you had not explained your now clarified meaning on accessibility.

I appreciate the angle you're taking this from now and see why you think steam is inaccessible and I agree with you that Steam should be made accessible to make the playing field more open and equal relatively speaking.  However, regardless of how much hope I have for the idea, Valve being Valve I doubt it'll happen until new more diversity-centric management come into force.

@daigonite
I disagree with your point on Steam being inaccessible just because blind people don't use it for two reasons.  One of these is that blind people, myself included, do use it and the second is my subjective point that it's not the community's fault but Valve as developers and publishers of the platform.  They should be the ones to introduce these changes and hopefully if the appropriate laws etc are passed/worked through in certain areas, that shouldn't be a long time coming.  But we can keep up hope regardless of what happens.

Hope I've made myself clear on all points that I did not intend to offend anyone with the above statements and my previous post in this discussion.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2015-07-16 23:52:33

Hi dentin.
I was going to reply in another thhread but since I got you.
Can you explain why guidedog keeps loosing connection or remembering its logged in.
I have played interceptor and I have had to on several occations relog, by waiting for a bit then logging in again because the program thinks its unlogged and looses sync.
When this happens there is a period where the game will try to login twice but if I leave it and as long as I hit the login button and not try to hit enter on one of the fields like my userid like I usually do it then works again for a while.
It can happen though that sometimes i forget  then hit enter, the game will then load me to guidedog in a non logged state.
Further more once I then log in, there is a period of time where the game will be unactivated then it will log back on.
If I catch it before the end of a level thats not a problem it works.
I have noticed more over that once hitting level2 the client will sync with itself and take a while doing it not to long but enough to notice that it is doing it.
I'd like a way for games to download their activations and stuff only syncing for scores on request or something.
I do realise guidedog is only just starting but I have noticed it especially at night my time so probably us day time things seem to really take a beating somewhere.
My network has remained connected through these issues so I know its not that.
In addition I have been the only network user at the time in most cases.

2015-07-17 00:12:30

@Daigonite, I agree that audiogames can appeal to sighted people, indeed I confess as someone who mostly played low vision playable console games growing up I was surprised at how immersive audiogames could be, particularly sinse I do confess that reading some descriptions before taking a friend's recommendation I feared they would be too simple.

However the problem with steam's current access as I said above is that old chestnut, namely blind people don't have money and the fat companies like valve don't care about anyone who won't pay them. Generally speaking in terms of access, you can get on with access best when you can speak to the people who do the designing and care about what their making, but if a company has got so huge that the design is all done by committee and the programmers are a bunch of hundreds of code monkies who make up for their lack of ability to do original work by shear weight of drudgery, then there really is nothing to address access wise.
it's true of Nintendo, it's true of Capcom (both of whom i've tried to communicate with directly in the past), and it's also true of Valve.

Sadly we're living in the age when individuals mean less and less, but that's capitalism for you.

There is however an alternative, sinse I do think guide dog will get to the point when functions like those you describe wil be added, albeit that depends upon dentin, after which it will give the functionality of steam,  albeit without the advertising.

@Sightless combat, glad that comment on access isclear. The deffinition used is, (I will say), a formal one from my own doctoral thesis, and actually it's what gets used to determine what games this site supports, ie, what is in the db and what gets news. this is why we won't post news about the release say of the next Mortal Kombat or street fighter, not with the menu learning and sound learning and inability to see the distance between you and an opponent's fireball but need to workout by time lapse after soun. playable? yes, accessible? no.
The same issue occurred with haypy monster on the Iphone. Yes, all the controls were labeled, but in such a completely illogical way that finding anything is a strain, (for example the back button is labeled warehouse x), while there are several moments of poke and hope vo use required. Does this mean people shouldn't play haypy monster or mortal kombat? Hell no! I've spent lots of my time playing low vision playable games as I said, however I'd in no way say I had equal access to those, or that a totally blind person has equal access to mortal kombat or steam for that matter, indeed I think  the lengths that people go to to play graphical games are quite a testiment to some people's fortitude, but the fortitude of some players isn't a reason to let designers off the hook, just the same way that just because some paraplegic person might expend the effort to crawl up those stairs that doesn't mean the building shouldn't have a ramp.

Hope this makes sense.

2015-07-17 07:45:56

hi all,

@dentin,

The guidedog interface sounds good to me. Am i allowed to add my beta game to your system?

@dark

In the current beta version (beta 1 patch 2) i have introduced two new systems to make the game some more fun. The fishing is a reaction based game now, and the harvesting is kind of game you mansioned of drakor. a game you can walk away from the computer.

Probably my english doesn't sound pretty clever now, but that's i have just rolled out of my bed.

hth

greetz mike

2015-07-17 08:19:00

Shrug, I think another issue people seem to be forgetting in regards to something being playable if one put enough effort into something to play it an a programmer should inser tthis change here real fast is that most players don't know how their game was made.  Sure it may look simple to do in concept, but if the developer designed the game to the point where they have to mess around with a lot of components to make this change work everywhere, and ten bug test for unseen errors, the time it takes to put in one simple change could cost a lot more money than what they get from the blind community since our player base for graphical games is small. 

Half the time I find the easiest developers to reach out to are those who are extremely responsive during the development of the game and the game is mainly in free demo or beta.   I've seen companies with the makers in the community respond to access changes, and our recent wasteland example reached to an independent developer. 

Also, unless someone really tried hard to work existing laws in trying to intergrate accessibility into Steam, the issue as Dark stated before is that the company running it is big, and is existing very fine without the blind community.  To put this in prospective, if Steam had an option to work on new features for the cliet, are they going to work on new social features and advertisement/other developer tools or people to put more stuff on their sight, which will attract thousand and thousands of new users, or access changes that will probably attract a few hundred, or even less than a hundred people?

HOnestly, the only way your going to convince large developers to make access changes to stuff where a blind community is currently non-existant is if you tickle their need to gain more profit from the change, and considering what profit probably means to bigger companies, a change that would attract blind players that would add neary a hundred thousand or  more dollars to their stream of profits.   The issue is that we currently lack a large enough and united enough population of graphical game players who are blind to make a strong case for this, and videogames are not exactly considered a vital product for a person to function or be content. 

Also though, I think another problem with trying to amass a large enough population of graphical game users is that people's sense of fun is vastly different.  Sure, some people find joy in conquering a hard level in a sighted game while blind, spending hours getting it just righ tto complete a ew battles to a checkpoint.  However, others find that more of a chore and a colossal waste of time and money, and would more likely forma  unied group of people thinking these attempts at playing sighted games are stupid, and be larger than the group playing.   Considering most people reactions with games like swamp, who hated mouse controls when starting, despite the game being accessible, these people would probably not even considerdownloading the demo of a sighted game and immediately shaft the idea before trying.  This is sad however, as this kind of hurts any attempts at amassing a large enough group to make a case for a company to earn profits from access changes. 

Okay, now for a question of my own.  How is the Steam community.   Is it a fairly decent sight in which one can easily find conversation and plotting on games to play, or is it something with close populations to 4chan users, who if they saw an attempt for access changes, would form a massive troll group to spamm crash ext for screen readers, and harass blind users?  Kind of want to know as usually a group of the second kind could fall under the perception a few sighted friends of mine have with access changes.   The fear that making a game more accessible would dampen or degrade the experience of the sighted user.  Obviously in any cases this is probably not true, and there are probably thousands of ways for a developer to include access changes that do not disturb the original gameplay, or in fact can enhance it ( Like Adventure to Fate).

2015-07-17 10:05:17

@Spiraling wyvern, I agree that access changes don't necessarily mean ruining the interface for sighted users, but people often suspect it would, which is exactly why it's good to talk to developers who  are still working on games or can make changes, it's also good to know, when proposing a change for access what is, or is not easily doable coding wise.
All of this however is fairly basic informational stuff, and unfortunately it's not out there.
I have a nasty feeling judging by the reactions I saw to smugglers and comments like "Well it doesn't even have prpper graphics, why should we pay for a text game" that at least some steam users wouldn't exactly be friendly to access changes, though as you said, the almighty prophet margin probably still isn't enough indeed I myself don't see large companies doing access in the future at all failing some sort of massive legal change, I personally believe all the access will be from friendly, indi developers who can be talked to directly just like with The wastes, adventure to Fate, A dark room, core exiles etc.

I'm afraid I disagree on you putting together the issues of people being reluctant to use the mouse in a game like Swamp and not wanting to as you put it "conquer a hard level in a mainstream game"  sinse these two things are essentially different.

Swamp is a hard game, and using the mouse is something people aren't comfortable with, however all the necessary information a blind person needs to play swamp is there, it's just a matter of using it. Swamp puts everyone on an equal playing field irrispective of sight level, it's just that the game being played on that field is a particularly tough one.

If however a sighted person can get through mario brothers level 1 in under five minutes, and it takes a blind person two hours of memorization to achieve the same challenge, then the playing field is not! equal. The blind person is missing vital and important information about the game, indeed is missing at a rough guess %70 of the information given to a sighted player.  This is not to say "don't do it" just that for many people that level of inequity is too far.

I will confess myself, having played with low vision, if I cannot at least discern where my character and the basic elements such as my opponent in a beatemup or the layout of ledges on a level are, I find the experience of just playing and memorizing with sound missing all that information more frustrating than rewarding.

As I said, this is a very personal thing and I admire people with that level of patience, but I don't think it's fare to condemn people for not wanting to play an unequal game with half the peaces missing.

I also am not convinced even if! every single blind person who played games got together and sgined a steam petition you'd have enough money to convince the fat cats. hell, at the moment in Britain there has been a massive campaign to get talking announcements made manditory on public busses. As you imagine, far more blind people of far more ages ride the bus than play computer games, yet has the government taken any notice? have they buggery, and unlike a business the government  is supposed! to serve the people, not just the god of the prophet margin.

Unless social perceptions improve and legal changes are made, I don't see the fat cats being convinced of access any time soon, concentrate on the indi developers, and the decent people you can! speak to and what changes you can make, the developers who actually will give half a crap about access in their games.

Really after all the time I've been on this site, nearly ten years, I have not seen the mainstream situation improve one iota, and conversations like this about nintendo, capcom, the Xbox, ps4, blizard, square, and pretty much any mainstream company have been had for years.

It's not made a haypennyworth of difference. On the other hand, the number of accessible games has skyrocketed, especially with the release of the Iphone. muds, browser games, not to mention audiogames created independently of the blind gaming community such as grail to the thief and pappasangre, and then of course we get the dedicated devs who show up out of the blue like Aprone.

It's like one of my favourite eastern proverbs, from the tibetan folk tail of the goblin rat, "For peace do not look to large places, keep to small"
or to put it more crudely, the bigger the ant hill, the more shit.