2015-07-15 11:21:24

wow i also like the idea about landmarks, that's going to be great. and i have something else: signs on trees. what if we could leave signs on tree tiles, write something with knives? that can help a lot too. and of course that will be cool to leave messages for our friends big_smile but guys, think about the way to remove them.

about random killing. i wrote sam how i see that, but i think i should post it here for you guys to discuss.
just wanna tell ya about one of my crazy ideas. we were chatting with valeria, discussing how to make killers not to kill so often and randomly, cause i cann't say that i like your opinion about killing and the rule about the same, i'l explain why. if someone just kills, it can be just his role, his charracter. causes don't always matter, you know. may be it's easier for him to steal stuff, may be it's just funny to kill in the place that has no laws, no government, no order. may be he's just some kind of crazy maniacs, why not. it's just his role, anyway. but of course, we have to punish them somehow. so, that's our idea.
let's give our players a killing count. like frags in dm games. when you kill, it increases. then, after your death, you get some kind of time penalty, a few hours you cann't log in. and this time will be equal to your killing count. so, more people you kill, more time you're out of the game after your death. for example, if you killed 12 players, you will have 12 hours for thinking about your playing style out of the game big_smile of course, after that this killing count drops to zero. and we can impruve this system. i thought about this a minute ago, while writing the message. if you're good boy, touching noone, beeing quiet, your killing count decreases by one... umm... for example, every six hours. this system solves one more problem. if you are dead, you are dead, you know big_smile and you will have some amound of time you cann't apear in the game again, cause you're dead. in real life you will never rise, that's for sure, so it's the middle between playing and realism. you can resurrect and play next, but not right after your death.

we are the strongest! we are the weapon of the force! we are one!
my name is darth scorp!

2015-07-15 14:24:04

I respect you, Sam for trying to make this work without a compass, because. I do think the north star idea is worth exploring. The moss thing is cool, but not all trees grow moss on them. Also I like the landmark idea too. I think the beeping would fix the items thing because say its slightly off to the left, but you got all the way there, and side stepped once to the left, you don't always get it, then you have to back up and turn by one degree and keep checking and keep turning and keep checking until it says its straight in front of you, and that takes time.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2015-07-15 17:47:28

Alright, I'm probably not alone in this--in fact I know! I'm not. But I seriously just can't wrap my mind around the reasoning why implementing a compass into the game is just such a friggin exotic, out of this world, wild, never gonna happen idea. What's it gonna do? Will adding a simple friggin compass into a survival game, (if you come with a lighter and knife that is obviously, not, made of wood, there's no reason a compass couldn't be in the game either), like, blow it up or something? I mean, this dude comes on and asks us for ways of making it a more enjoyable game. We suggest one little feature, something that is! even! easier! than! the! sun! and it just seems as though the impossible is being asked.
  Now don't misunderstand this post. I'm not dictating to Sam what he needs to do for this game, and I'm not personally attacking him. I'm just bringing up a pressing issue that is just, mind boggling to me!

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-07-15 18:49:07

Hi,
I do want to point out, also, that a cumpass would be useful for everyone. Sam, think about it. If you were in the worlds largest desert, and you had all this equipment with you, including water, food, etc., wouldn't you want a compass, too? I don't see how a compass is impossible.
Also, a simple way to stop random killing is to have something like alter aeon has, wehre you register for player killing. Sure, it's not realistic, but a game cannot be completely realistic to the letter. So, a player would have to register for PK, and the other PKer would have to register as well to make it fair. There's only one issue for this: if a player's hunger is at a critical level, then they can kill freely or risk going insane.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-07-15 19:03:33

@32 I think Sam just wants more of a challenge for the players, to make them dead reckon instead of using a compass, which is mad easy.

End racism
End division
Become united

2015-07-15 19:33:27

Ah Ironcross, I do see your point, but at least with the current implemented way of telling direction it's pretty much impossible to know.
I agree with post 33. And if you think about it, there are quite a few elements of stw that are not real in the first place:
1. you can cary 500 pots of water in your inventory.
2. you can cary around a boat.
3. you chop down trees with a knife.
4. There's an ocean, a stream, a grasssland, and a desert all in walking distance of each other.
  Are all these bad? No, but they prove that a game can't be entirely realistic.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.

2015-07-15 19:48:56

Hello,
Basicly, we had a cumpas before. Remember before sun was added? You could press f and sound would just play where north was, never muving. The best way I can explane it is: cumpas? We had it, so it is nothing new.
Also: wach (unles being powerd by sun) won't have power for ever, the same goes for radio. That's realistic? ...
The point I'm trying to make isn't "remuve this damn radio and wach", but "it is right, not everything can be realistic.". And cumpas actually is realistic. If you were going to the wild, would you grab this cumpas or just say "my wach is never going to break, I don't need to allways know if I'm facing exactly north". I, myself would grab this cumpas (and someone that isn't blind and can use it).

P.S.: if this post sounded to harsh, I'm sorry.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2015-07-15 21:06:06

Well watches can stay powered up if they're kinetic, they sort of wind up themselves by the movement of the wearer, but point taken. As I said before, there's a lot to juggle in a great game. There are also survival knives that have magnesium strips inside, like the pommul is unscrewable. Well magnesium burns hot as hell, so all you gotta do is lay down the strip and strike the back of the blade against it and whoof, better than a spark from flint Also yeah, I agree, while chopping down a tree with a knife is theoretically possible, its not likely to ever happen, it would take forever, we need a hatchet or something.

End racism
End division
Become united

2015-07-16 00:27:06

well i have nothing against the compas. imo it's fully possible. it just has to be crafted and work as the sun, but always play the sound on the north side.

we are the strongest! we are the weapon of the force! we are one!
my name is darth scorp!

2015-07-16 01:49:05

So maybe a cumpass will be nesasary but I just want to see if I can avoid it. I probably can't but I want to try, by doing improvements. Coding it would be easy but I had nothing of the sort in mind when I made this rotation system. Like I said I want to try the radar thing, whare you track something then simply turn to it and get the beep there, than walk forward, right to it. That might be cool. I fixxed the c key so it shows how it is supposed to, yay! Again maybe none of this will help, I just want to try and if it doesn't, i'll probably do an erg, compass. But how it is supposed to work is the only time you should need to know whare your traveling, is when you want to travel something and you know it is in that direction, etc the campground north of the desert, not the stream west of the tree. You should be able to turn twards the stream and just beeline right for it very very easy. I know it scemes like i'm rediculis for not adding a compass but it's not supposed to be nesisary anyway.

I am a web designer, and a game developer. If you wish see me at http://www.samtupy.com

2015-07-16 03:57:09

hey sam.
the game you work on is very very nice, and yes, it's like real life!
what you mean by random killing? for example, the same problem we had on up. Isn't it a killing game? when they say hey don't kill me! well, you know...
I still don't get used to tracking system, but well yeah I did it guessing a lot of stuff.
also, can you please remove this... I hear a hard ear breaking sound like a beep when I log on. It really hurts. it's too hard, and too acute.
no point on dissapointing you to keep this. No! just keep the good work!
btw, can i please be an admin? it'll be great, and I want to help you too.

no matter what you do, alwais, ghosts will be there. Demonic spirits waiting for you. Charlie Charlie are you here? suddenly, charlie appears with a knife. He killed me! charlie charlie are you here? tell me if it's yes. Are you gonna persew me or you're leaving me in peaze? oh my gosh charlie is indeed here! he's about to kill me!
:D

2015-07-16 19:06:52

Terminator, I would not publically ask for admin status. Not to be rude, but admin stuff like that is private and should be discussed privately.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-07-16 21:16:25

The only way I can ever take this game seriously again is by reinstating coordinates again, current system makes the game completely stupid to navigate. There's a difference between realism and fun. Learn this, live it, make it your mantra.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2015-07-17 07:09:05

Honestly, it'd be neat if more stuff to make navigation useful without a compass was set before someone got a compass.   I haven't been on the game for a long while, but I vaguely don't remember metal being very common (or existing)

The main reason people seem to want a compass is that it helps with navigation. the last build of the game I tried had resources grouped in large clusters of land, which if one wanted to get a certain resource, they had to go there.   I think to fix something like this is to make the  resources land areas load extremely different and randomly, probably more akin to how nature would grow out haphazardly.   So there would not be set locations for resources, but something one would have to go exploring directionless to find something, and resources should run out and move to another spawn. that would still make sense.    (And the river should be more extensive or uh, mor rivers)

2015-07-17 07:17:56

Also on the moss bit, trying to wander around for a tree isn't that difficult, would probably motivate people to strike out to the unknown parts of the game and explor emore, instead of relying on a few set locations to build all your items need.   Also outside of landmarks, the reliable gathering of materials from certain locations needs to die.   It would make building slightly harder since you might need to check multiple sots of a certain biome, but it again removes the need of  having to rely on set locations to navigate to a biome.  Going out into the wild and exploring would then be more rewarding, and directions are not going to help much if you have no coordinates.   With the many shifts of paths one will take, you knw which way is north, but what are the chances your going to remember all those turns you made to get a place where a certain metal would load for a project?   Landmarks and maybe signs that people hopefully won't knock down would help navigation to a less grouped biome than a compass.

also if Samtuppy wanted to be a slight troll for his contempt with the compass, he can include biodomes where the compass gets horrifically messed up, say places you would gather metal for a compass messing around when you're building compasses for friends

2015-07-17 17:06:01

Spiraling Wyvern
Those are good ideas, and yes spreading out resources would not only spread people out, but also minimize all of the random killing since people wouldn't be all clumped together.

2015-07-18 00:07:29

Hi there guys. So, I made a sample of the tracking system and I want to know what you think. You can download it here and please tell me some feedback, i'd love to see what you guys think, good or bad, and if you think this might at least sort, of help. Thanks
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/164 … 20test.mp3

I am a web designer, and a game developer. If you wish see me at http://www.samtupy.com

2015-07-18 06:05:53

That's actually an impressive system, and if you implemented the landmarks system I told you about earlier that would especially make this more affective.

2015-07-21 11:07:19

I agree. I love that, and would get me back into the game. Put that in along with the landmarks system that's been mentioned would be my suggestion.

2015-07-24 10:09:47

So guys, I am actually now working on the landmarks system, it's in with a bunch of map stuff so it will take a bit but am still doing it. Or maybe i'll just make it so you can track zones... You guys think this would be a good idea? I've also finily got off my lazy but and fixxed events! yayayayayay! So we can have loads of fun with those now! So now I ask, what do you think needs to hapen next. I want people to like the game as much as possible while yet still maintaining it's original point of being a survival game. It may sceme like i've been being a jirk and only telling you ther'll be no compass, but I have actually been reading the other posts. Hee, I actually like the killing idea, whare the count goes up and down acordingly. I've also listened to you guys about the realistic factor going down, and i've been working on that. No wonder you can still chop trees with knife. big_smile hahaha. And heck I may, just, may, make it possible to craft a compass. Maybe that same water idea, the one mensioned previously, but then you put a casing around it, and the metal object in there would float to the north side. So when you use the compass you crafted, it would make a ploop sound at north. Do you guys think this would be a reasonable compromise? First, it's not completely realistic, and second, with the tracking system, water is pretty easy to come by, and it would fix the other issue, people could get a compass. Reviewing my previous posts in this topic I can see why some of you got a bit upset and i'm sorry about that, defs not that profetional and a bit harsh. I hope I didn't kill your impressions of me. Heh. Anyway do any of you have any other recomendations for this game? At least ATM? Or ways I should improve it besides what's been mensioned? I personally think that I need to deal with killers and improve newbie friendlyness, how do you guys think I should go about doing this? Heh, or maybe at this point on me my self, maybe I got some improving to do at this point. big_smile Anyway, i'm sorry for the previous well, how to word it, not so... well written posts? I should have explained my self better, but do any of you have anything else to say on the matter? Or should I just update the game and atempt to add new features at this point. I am just trying to make it so that as much of the comunity as possible actually has fun and enjoys what I create. Another thing I heard on this topic was language channels. I know, It's just, well, maybe i'll make a way to turn chat off, or maybe have an option to only chat with certain people? So you could choose to use like a chat list, or something like that. If you chose to use a chat list, Then that might work but i'm being a bit vague. So you could choose to chat normally, or switch to an option to use your chat list. Anyone who's not in your chat list, you wouldn't be able to hear. I don't know. But ifsomeone can somehow get me a list of every language I should use, I think it may be a simple matter, but I don't know what I should use, nore how to spell language names or anything... Heheheh, I know of only a fiew, so also if you guys could post a list of languages I could use or at least suggest them, that'd be great too. Thanks.

2015-07-25 07:46:01

Hello,

I think that the chat list is a great idea. I also think that killing and newbie should be fair newbies cant kill newbies and thoese are not a nobie should not kill also. I really like the compuss idea. I think that should be mor trees.
take care,

Michelle

2015-07-25 09:20:01

hello there
at post 50
This game has come a long way sinse I tried it last,and the new changes IMO are in the right direction. When STW was released I did try it but quit it not soon after because while the concept was great,I could
see it'd be more like a shooter or a pvp game with everyone trying to kill others for no dam reason. And from what I read afterwards, I seemed to have thought rightly.
But that random killing seems to be improving somewhat,so that's good
I would not mind playing a game which included survival where you did everything from foraging to hunting and building things to cooperating or killing others to gain access to that longbow or that huge sword you saw on a person or just to loot their foodstores. This includes RP that is killing or fighting others for a reason. even in the whild you would not have people walking up to you and killing you for no reason even in a world setting like this. Everything is survival in a situation like this, and you would not kill someone because you were bored or had nothing better to do. because killing would take effort and a person who spends efforts in doing things which are not essencial to survival wouldn't last long.
So basicly what I mean with these is, RP killing good, NON  RP Killing bad
I specially liked some of the recent changes like the tracking system and am looking forward to landmarks too.
Now what makes people kill others for no reason? and what you could do so that killing happens less or at least the mindless killing happens less and less
people kill because they have crafted everything they need have nothing better that they could be doing so they go and kill others because that's doing something that isn't fishing or drinking water.
So, adding activities which would give people to occupy themselves with would lessen these to some extent, or so I hope.
Something that includes a element of killing would be much better like  animal hunting you could either create a group and run after a animal with spears or such, or ambush it with a bow and arrow or other ranged weapons

This wouldn't be eazy I know and will certainly take time. But there you have it

I do have a few other small suggestions and they are more to do with the gameplay and less with people being dum mindless killers
A keyconfig where you can change or assign keys as you like, because as it stands now playing on a laptop I can't drop shit because it needs a delete key and my laptop has a numpad delete key which doesn't work for games. same gos for page up and down to increase/ lower volume

currently the rate at which you get thirsty seems a bit excessive to me, so if that were to be lowered a bit it'd be cool,too. But this one I dair say I couldn't really say much on because I haven't played the game as long as some here so feel free to comment or disregard this one. it just looks to me to be a bit high where you are drinking constently.
Hope that helps some and keep up the awesome coming. :d
grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2015-07-25 20:32:36

So the thirst thing was something yes I agree is getting to high and i've been planning to lower. One thing that simply I mean nothing more than to publicize, is that the game world is getting bigger and bigger. You can explore manny places and maybe find some fun and new things that are big surprises. Telll me if you disagree but I think in some ways, nature isn't hitting you as hard as it should, for a survival game. For example, I think i'm going to make it so there are loads and loads of bugs that come out at late dusk and early dawn and last for like 2 minutes, so it would be short but you can't prepare shelter in 2 minutes or just, start a fire to keep them away. So do you think these bugs would be a good idea? I see most of the killers with just the bear esentuals. I can atempt to make the numpad keys work with the game, because I have been aproached with this before, so if you think that would help, I think I can actually get it wto work. And guys, had another idea, do you think it would be good if I had an option in the options menu to disable the mouse?

2015-07-26 00:49:06

Hello Sam,

I think all of this is a great idea. The bugs, and making an option in the options menu to disable the mouse is an excellent idea! Also, making the number pad work with your game is an excellent idea. The bugs idea is excellent too! Also, another idea that someone brought up previously on a thread as well, is Maybe you could make the thirst for newbies start at zero, and maybe the hunger. As sung people have a harder time finding clay to get their thirst down as you start a random place where Clay sometimes doesn't exist nearby. Is just a helpful thought. Not to make you do this, but it would be helpful for newbies to play the game. ! Over all, I think everything you said is a great idea. Excellent job with the game Sam. Keep up the excellent work

2015-07-26 00:57:13

Oh. Another thing I forgot to add. This doesn't have to necessarily pertain to newbies. This could happen for everyone when they die. As like I said, when you come back on the game your place is random, and sometimes the place has no clay nearby. And so, you die again of thirst. Because you cannot find any near you. Yes, I know you can ask people for pots, I have seen Times where there are no other players on, so this does not always help.