2015-07-09 16:47:51

I have been working on this game for a month or so now and was recently informed by a blind-gamer that my game was very accessible due to the console screen interface.

the game while currently still being in development includes random factions such as cults/raiders/tribes and nomads, randomly generated cities with every single building enter-able including (shops/mines/hotels/healers/shacks/fightingpits) as well as countless other features like random dungeons, Mutations, Special fight moves, monsters, weapons, music and various regions.

The game is completely free and can be found in the sidebar on Reddit/r/thewastes or in the latest changelogs!

I will be happy to answer any questions and I hope you enjoy the game!

Last Free Version of Warsim (0.6.8.7) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewnm4cehswu6m … m.zip?dl=1
Steam version of Warsim (0.7) - http://store.steampowered.com/app/65954 … na/?beta=0
Itch.io Version of Warsim (0.7) - https://huw2k8.itch.io/warsim

2015-07-09 17:12:24

Link please? I can't see it anywhere around. This game sounds very awesome in my opinion.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2015-07-09 17:23:06

Is this a work of Interactive Fiction, a MOO MUD MUSH or any other such?

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2015-07-09 17:25:33

Hi Wastelander and welcome to the forum.

I will say the game sounds great, however I'n unsure of where to find it.  could you please post a link to download and try the game? I always thought reddit was primarily a blogging system or similar, so I'm a wee bit confused.

Also, when you say the game is "ascii" exactly what do you mean?

Games such as roguelikes like nethack that use ascii maps from a top down perspective are just about playable a blind person with effort, but have their share of problems which is why we don't list them in our accessible games database.

this is because all blind computer users use screen readers that read text aloud line by line.
As you imagine, hearing your screen reader say
hash dot hash hash hash hash hash hash bar at hash hash dot dot bar hash, isn't exactly informative on what is going on in the game big_smile.
Some people have access to a braille display, that will display a tactile line of characters and these are more successful with roguelikes, however  braille displays are hugely expensive, and still do not show a large amount of on screen information (even  the most expensive braille display which can cost  run as much as two thousand dollars will only show  a single line of 80 characters, so will still require a massive amount of careful reading and memorization to read a roguelike style ascii map.

on the other hand, if the game has descriptions of the area in plane text, or abilities to look around that do not rely on a top down ascii view that would be amazing! console style games and screen readers go together very well much of the time, indeed as MArta said this game sounds great!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-07-09 17:32:43 (edited by livrobo 2015-07-09 17:44:19)

This is pretty cool. I thought I was going to get killed by some ants, hahaa.

I like how the combat is done via a number system, but the only thing about it I haven't figured out yet is both times I got a weapon, it broke on the first hit. I saw a skill that'makes them less likely to break, but I don't know if each weapon breaks after a certain amount of uses, or what.

If a helicopter falls in the field and no one's around, it doesn't make a sound.

2015-07-09 17:44:53

Hi.
I just googled this and found it straight away . Link
https://www.reddit.com/r/thewastes

2015-07-09 17:48:23

The game has its own subreddit where people can talk about it, which is why the developer linked to a subreddit rather than the actual game. The link to download is in the subreddits information under the first heading.

If a helicopter falls in the field and no one's around, it doesn't make a sound.

2015-07-09 18:39:33

Hello,
Download the game here:
http://download1840.mediafire.com/bnfcd … +0.6.8.zip

Giving it a try now!!!

2015-07-09 20:02:05 (edited by brad 2015-07-26 02:20:47)

Hi.
/Edit/

The link has been updated and a paragraph or two removed.

/Edit End/

For those that would prefer a dropbox link, hear you go.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/229 … 00.7.7.zip

Thank you for making an awesome game.

I'm gone for real :)

2015-07-10 03:24:16

Hi,
I've just given this a quick go as it's late and the asky isn't a problem at all if you disable punctuation.  Plus I don't think it's necessary to advance.
I'm excited to see where you go with this and what you add in future, as of right now survival is incredibly difficult though I have a hunch that may be by design. smile

2015-07-10 06:06:36

Nice first impression here. As dan_c said, setting the punctuation to none is a good idea.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2015-07-10 11:53:55

Hi.

Wow, I can't believe I didn't think of that.

I'm gone for real :)

2015-07-10 15:14:56

hy all.
I disable punctuality, but It does not help

2015-07-10 15:45:58

Hmm, the game seems so random. Like really random. I played through part of it last night and got an alien cannonball launcher that did like 2000 damage almost as soon as I started playing. It completely owned everything. There are also lots and lots of opportunities to get ammo. Lockpicks never work, no matter howh high your lockpick level is. It's still fun to mess with, but this is definitely a seriously stor-driven game. I compare it to world of legends.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2015-07-12 09:53:56

Hi Wastelander!
I have to say i fell a little in love with this project and was observing your updates since the last 4 days.
Maybe you can answer me some questions:
Will it be possible to travel back to a town you have allready explored?
Will you bring in other jobs like mining?
Is it allready possible to save a game?
Are you interested in suggestions to make your game more accessible?
I am allready very excited of your next update and hope there will be one for today!
Best regads from germany!

2015-07-12 16:39:31

So I can narrow down an issue, anyone getting an odd issue in the 0.7 version of the game where grabbing a high quality ite from a crate or body that isn't mutation vials tends to lead to an infinite menu loop for weapons.  * keep finding a weapon of corpses that tend to be something like 1450 damage and 400 durability, and suddenly I get an infinite list of crappy weapons that forces me to end the game as normally when scrapping a weapon, you get a message stating so.  Scrapping it during this issue, the game moves onto the next item immediately.

Come to think of it, this issue usually happens when I find decent weapons from the wasteland, though I can't tell if it's due to finding something good or is it because the looter perk is bugged.  Normally I don't find anything decent unless looter has some levels in it but I'm not sure which is the issue.

2015-07-12 19:48:25

Wow! This is absolutely not nice at all!
Could it be that they brought in Captchas on the Website? I tryed to download the new 0.7.1 and had to solve a Captcha. I couldnt manage to solve it!
Again! Absolutely not nice at all!

2015-07-12 20:53:49

@Firefly, I don't know what you mean about captures, I didn't see one at all, I just went to the link where it said "download the latest build", went to the mediafire site and downloaded, no trouble.

I've been waiting to try this one as it's very much my style of game, although as I said above the ascii thing worried me. It seems though i was worrying needlessly, the ascii seems to be ascii art rather than ascii maps which means itt's totally unnecessary for progressing in the game which is great!

I do wish we had a description of a crater beast instead of just "you find a crator beast" plus, while it's very possible to not need to read the ascii either by setting your screen reader  not to speak punctuation, or (because I am lazy), simply by going one paragraph from the bottom and reading, it would still be nice if there was an option to go without it just for reduction of clutter if nothing else.

I can tell though I'm going to be spending hours on this one, it's just the type of game I like, and the few bits of writing I've seen are far les haphazard than world of legends, (I'm guessing the system is a bit more careful too), indeed I'm now going to check the wiki just to see if there are any key commands or the like I'm missing, though it is entirely possible everything is numbered menus.

Oh, and the music is cool!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-07-12 22:28:49

Hi Dark!
Yeah, realy strange. I tryed again 30 minutes later and could download it as well. Maybe this Captcha is only active the first 60 Minutes or something like this.

2015-07-12 23:20:33 (edited by Spiraling Wyvern 2015-07-12 23:22:17)

Yay for the elite loot bug bein gone, no more fearing the looter skill from haulting your game. 

Though it didn't hault a super goliath queen lobster Titan from squishing me.

2015-07-13 00:33:57

I've played another game and I have a question, when you reach a new levelwhat is it with skill points? I tried to raise several stats such as intelligence and charisma because they had no points in them, but nothing happened, the only skills that seemed to go up were strength, agility and lockpick. Are some skills level locked?

Also, how do you save a game? There is a load game option, but there doesn't seem to be one to save, unless it only comes up at specific points.

2015-07-13 01:17:56

It appears this game gets updated very frequently ,  so I've taken to checking the website before playing in case there is a new version .

2015-07-13 01:52:45

Well that game was fun, accept I do feel a little hard done to, sinse I was doing great, went to a town, did some mining (very whacky there but it seemed to work even if I just got left hitting space), however then I suddenly got stuck into a deadly area, and mutilated!
Again, unless i'm missing some basic commands, it seems once you start an area your stuck there forever, and if it's too tough for your current level and equipment well tough luck.

Again, this might be just usual for a procedurally generated game, though with the save and load commands I do wonder if I'm missing something.

2015-07-13 12:21:16

Well I think I've determined the thing with saving, you need to actually find a town and take a room, though sinse towns seem pretty random that makes it a little difficult.
I've got on better, particularly sinse the most recent v7.2 adds ability to exit dungeons, though I don't appreciate the fact that when I commented on the changelog the first thing I got was a round load of abuse from some guy for posting in the wrong place because stupid reddit won't let me create a new thread without solving one of those annoying visual capture things, so I appologised for posting suggestions in the changelog.

Luckily said douchenozzle doesn't seem to be one of the game's developers,  indeed if the dev wants to come back and discuss access somewhere a little more friendly he'd be very welcome.

2015-07-13 13:05:41

Aaaah, yees, thats the point with saving. Very nice! But i am not sure if you allready can load a game in that stadium of the game.
Yeah, esspecialy for mining some more soundeffects would make the hole thing more accessible.
I am very curious what will be next in this game!