2015-07-02 15:17:33 (edited by daigonite 2015-07-02 15:21:26)

LSDJ is a tracker for the gameboy that allows people to write music fairly easily using the hardware of the gameboy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPI1IBc7IEA

Most people use LSDJ in an emulated form since obtaining the actual cartridges is quite expensive.

LSDJ is a fairly simple program but because of the limitations of the gameboy, blind users would have to rely completely on memorization to know where they are located within a song, making it quite difficult to play. As a bit of a pet project, I'm making my own custom emulator for LSDJ that will allow blind users to know more about what they're actually doing in LSDJ so they can write their own music with this tool.

I have gone through the RAM and determined the location important variables located in the RAM, such as the current page, the cursor position, and the locations of some data in the game. As a bit of a pet project this weekend I'm going to be modifying an open source Java emulator to see if I can program a new cycle that checks these values in the RAM for changes and announces those changes when they occur. Fun fact - this is also how asynchronous tasks are handled by most software, such as pressing a key down.

Based on what I extracted I should be able to write something that announces the following:
- Current screen (for example, song screen or instrument screen)
- Cursor location
- Some Data, such as what references are used.

This isn't a super serious project but yeah. I've been depressed as hell lately and I'm just starting to put my life together again and I want to practice making accessible software not named "Braillemon". lol

I won't personally distribute LSDJ with this project but you can obtain the most recent demo version here: http://www.littlesounddj.com/lsd/latest … 5b_demo.gb

It doesn't come with saving, but emulators usually support save states.

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2015-07-02 16:35:20

Moderation!

This definitely sounds like a good thing, but because it's not technically a game, I'm moving this topic to the offtopic room, sinse we've already had topics about chip tunes and the like in there.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-07-04 05:38:50

Hey, this sounds great.
Look at my Pokémon Crystal Access project.
I use VBA and its lua support to do a similar thing. It might be easier than the java emulator.

2015-07-04 06:27:10

how does this exactly work?
thum this up! it's interesting!

no matter what you do, alwais, ghosts will be there. Demonic spirits waiting for you. Charlie Charlie are you here? suddenly, charlie appears with a knife. He killed me! charlie charlie are you here? tell me if it's yes. Are you gonna persew me or you're leaving me in peaze? oh my gosh charlie is indeed here! he's about to kill me!
:D

2015-07-04 14:49:26

Awesome, There is also FamiTracker for windows which is pretty good, though it clicks on me and I have to go in and set the buffer size to like 50 ms, its at 40 and it won't save configuration, heh. But I've been meaning to try LSDJ for a while now.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united