2015-06-30 04:13:25

I'm starting this this thread to stop hijacking the Talking 64 bit Windows Pre-Installation Environment thread.

Which is here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind … readyboost

flyby chow wrote:

yup, spot on. ready boost. found only in vista. wil have to be turned on yes.

According to the ReadyBoost web page, it's also in Windows y, and I suspect it's also in Windows 8 and will be in Windows 10 too.

I'm thinking that this would be easier if I plugged my SSD into a USB port and copied my data to it from my current copy of Windows on the hard drive, I could also connect the hard drive to the USB port and pull the files to SSD. If I pushed the data files to the SSD, would plugging in the SSD to a USB port while my current install of Windows is running from the hard drive affect the new Install on the SSD:

Also, I've heard mention of a portable NVDA but can't find it on the NVDA web site. Is there a portable version? Until I know whether I'm going to keep using JAWS or switch to NVDA, I'd like to leave as small a footprint on the new Windows install as possible. That means running a portable version for now. Thanks!

2015-06-30 04:16:30

Actually its built in, i think its under nvda, tools, create portable copy. Yep, just checked. It does take a long time, i don't know why

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2015-06-30 06:01:52

So, in order to have a portable version that doesn't need installing, I have to install it first, that makes sense! :-\

2015-06-30 09:25:14

nope, u can download a portable coppy of NVDA. right from there webpage, or, u can install it, its just esier to install and then create coppy. unless u wish to look for it on the sight. jean, i did not quite understand what u want to do with your SSD, can u clarify there for me?

There's a place for me in this universe.

2015-06-30 10:56:36 (edited by Figment 2015-06-30 17:14:09)

When you run the NVDA installer, you are given three options, 1. Install NVDA, 2. Create a portable copy, and 3. Continue; option two works for me! big_smile

Yeah, I've been drinking with my good friend Bud Weiser, and he helped with that message, he's getting more beer for us, so in the minute or two a round trip to the kitchen and back takes, I'll try again.

What I'm looking at now is copying all my files from my hard drive to an external USB hard drive, then put in the SSD, then copy the files off the external USB hard drive to the SSD. I was thinking that if I connected the SSD to an USB port, I could save a step by copying all the files directly to the SSD. My concern was that since the SSD would show up in my current set up as drive D, that that might screw up the Windows installed on the SSD.

I decided to try it anyway, the SSD showed up as drive D as expected, but instead of having a 300GB NTFS active partition, it had a 800GB raw unformatted partition. But when I boot into the Windows on the SSD, it shows up as having a 300GB NTFS active partition. What gives? Remember, this is a 300GB SSD. Should I have connected it to my system first and formatted it before installing Windows on it? While it works, the fact that it shows up the way it does, leads me to think that it's set up in a non-standard way, which I don't want.

Correction: When connected via USB, the SSD shows up as two partitions, they are:
1. D: Simple, Basic, Healthy, Primary, Active, 800MB, Ra
2. E:, Simple, Basic, Healthy, Primary, 2,234GB, Raw

2015-07-02 09:21:24 (edited by Figment 2015-07-02 10:18:54)

Windows is installed on the SSD and seems to be working fine, all the updates from Windows Update are installed, Microsoft needs to seriously consider packaging the 250 or so updates that have been released since service pack 1 into another service pack, that is, in a word, rediculous!

I just wish I knew why the SSD shows up as a raw unformatted drive when I attach it to a USB port with Windows on the hard drive running? Is this typical of SSDs, I'd have thought they'd behave just like a hard disk.

I installed a portable version of NVDA on it to minimize the footprint any screen reader leaves on the new install until I know which screen reader I'm going to use, though NVDA and the available voices for it may have already made the decision for me. I listened to all the voices that came with NVDA, and there's a lot of them, and didn't like any one of them as much as I like Eloquence that comes with JAWS. If I can't find a voice for NVDA that sounds as good as and is as understandable as Eloquence, I'll remove NVDA and keep using JAWS.

2015-07-03 12:49:15

The mystery about why the SSD shows up as an unformatted raw drive drive but still boots and run Windows just fine continues. So, to avoid a possible disaster, I've decided to shelve getting the SSD up and running until the problem is resolved or I understand why. Although I'm eager for the speed the SSD will provide, it's not worth losing everything to a crash because I ignored what looks like a problem to me. I actually wouldn't lose much, because I do keep backups of my entire system, it's just the idea.

2015-07-03 16:24:47

@GeneWarner

You do not have to install NVDA in order to create a portable copy.

You can create the portable NVDA on one system and move/copy the NVDA folder to another.

Getting Eloquence to work in a portable NVDA is easy.

The process requires copying the Userconfig subfolder with nvda.ini and Addons to the portable NVDA folder.

Check your PM.

m

2015-07-11 08:41:58

Well, it's done, I'm now running full time on the SSD! Gawd I hate reloading Windows!

For fun I put the old hard drive back in and timed a few things like starting up, starting a fewprograms right after booting, and a few other tasks. Then put the SSD back in and timed the exact same set of tasks. On average, with theh SSD in the system, the various tasks took about half the time they did with the hard drive.

In a word, I'll take it! big_smile