2015-06-28 21:49:09

OK, so this new system is supposed to keep cowards from disconnecting during a fight? Maybe that was your original intention, but this system is quickly being abused by all of the people you are trying to limit by taking out the look and where commands and reducing knife sharpness to 300. Here's basically the problem.
Say I am experiencing lag and decide to disconnect to fix it, in order to fight someone. Lag often prevents me from being able to attack because the server doesn't respond to key presses when it lags. So, I disconnect. Next thing I know, I am back on shore because I've been killed. I wasn't able to defend myself, or run away. So, this system is actually helping players who do nothing but kill other players basically slaughter who they want.
Imagine you're in the middle of a storm. Suddenly, your router goes offline and you can no longer play. This means whoever is nearby can walk over with a weapon in hand and take you out. The next time you log on, you're starting over on shore. You lose everything you had and have to build up from scratch.
The point I'm making is that no other game allows a player to kill another player that suddenly disconnects. Though UltraPower has some issues with the server, Mason wouldn't intentionally implement killing players who go offline for the next thirty seconds. This isn't a fair solution for the problem. Let's face it, if someone doesn't want to fight, it's their choice.
The other point I will make is that the fighting system is still very unbalanced. Unlike RTR and UP, there is no way to know exactly where an enemy is using sound. The p command gives you an idea, but the description is still to general. In front and very slightly to the left sounds accurate, until you try aiming a bow. I've missed on many occasions, even though the opponent was in front and very slightly to the left and within range. A little beep or hum in the center would probably help out a little. The other thing is that not everyone has access to rock guns and revolvers. 'This basically allows players who have those weapons to kill who they want because they can fire at much greater distances than players with bows, never mind getting in close with a spear, hammer, or knife.
It is possible that the problem comes down to the headset I'm using. The Logitech h800 really doesn't have high quality audio output, since it was primarily designed to make vOIP calls through Skype and other applications; so, it isn't exactly a gaming headset. As I mentioned before, adding defensive maneuvers, such as blocking, parrying, or dodging would definitely improve the fighting system.
Hope these suggestions can help improve the game. I know you're doing what you can to please everyone, but these problems will make the game less enjoyable in the long run.

I attack with the savagery of a thousand piranhas.

2015-06-29 05:27:30

I understand not everyone has access to those weapons, but to bt honest, a revolver is just like a bow, but the bullet is faster. Anyway, this system only goes into effect when you press escape. In the situation of your router going offline, you would have to time out anyway, and that isn't my fault. The only time your player stays for 30 seconds, is if someone hits you and you go offline in less than 12 seconds. See, even though this is a game, it's ment to be a realistic one. So suddenly dissapearing just from a simple wound, nah, that can't happen. If the connection times out you never stay on for 30 seconds, if you just press escape, you never stay on for 30 seconds, the only only time, is if you've been hit, then press escape. if you get hit than your connection times out, you'd just go offline. So saying, a connection timing out would be the same exact thing. but you'd stay online for s shorter time. But for even if you don't want to fight, you have to run. I had to fight today, and I dang near died, but I ran and got away, after actually killing some of them for envading my campsight. And I'm not done improving  this system, i'm still putting rules in effect. For example, if someone kills you, than just keeps killing you again, said person would be severely punished or even banned. I have not stated any of these rules official yet, but soon they will, and they will be documented. And also let me say this game isn't supposed to be RTR or UP. It's supposed to be anything but those too, and that's why i'm starting to really crack down hard on that, and why I have added this cowerd system. But if you just press escape, if your health hasn't been lowered in 12 seconds, when you press escape your completely fine. If your router goes offline, my system has nothing to do with that, you would be online anyway until the server realized your connection died, which takes 10 seconds. And so long as you don't press escape in a fight, the server will make you go offline as soon as you time out. In real life, it is harder to aim, and that's why it says that, and why you don't know, ok, i'm gonna hit when I shoot. The trick is, if there in front and very slightly to the left, find in front and very slightly to the right, then get in the middle of the too, whare if you just tapped control shift left arrow it would go from very slightly to the right to very slightly to the left, etc.

I am a web designer, and a game developer. If you wish see me at http://www.samtupy.com

2015-06-29 06:05:54

As much as I hate to say it, ishues like this constant killing are what's preventing me from staying on the game for too long. Sometimes, I just want to come on and check things out before i'm suddenly jumpt by a dude with a knife and a revolver. I'd just like to point out, even though this maybe a bit harsh, that too much realism doesn't always translate into ultra fun and doesn't always keep players coming back. Personally, I like games to be realistic but not so realistic as in i'm going to die in 4 seconds because I can't do something type thing, I know that was a bad explonation. But that's just my opinion.

Check out the new reality software site. http://realitysoftware.noip.us

2015-06-29 08:09:00

That's what I am trying to fix, the contant killing. For instants, in the game, if I see people armed to the teech envading my campsight, there gonna die, well or I might, but random spanish people always come up and boom! That's why I still need to really enforce these new rules, but I will. And that should fix like 80 percent of our issues at least, so yeah.

I am a web designer, and a game developer. If you wish see me at http://www.samtupy.com

2015-06-29 09:47:43

Sam, forgive me here, but i'm extremely confused. How does that fix the constant killing ishue? I mean, part of the killing ishue is people being armed to the teath and invading campsites. Which I understand, that is a part of the game as its survive the wild. But at the same time, their needs to be some limit on it. If I wanted to get constantly killed and shot at, I may as well go play rtr or up, no afense ment. And i'd honestly not do that hole cowered system. When people are encountering lag, they are instead of timing out most likely to press the escape key so they can disconnect. But if you restrict them from reconnecting during that brief 12 second pyriod their being stabd or shot at, then by by goes all their stuff, its a lose lose situation because even by the time they get their lag fixt, when they reconnect, they'll already be dead, and such a system makes me, as a player, not want to even play the game. Now I do understand that if I don't want a good fight, I could always stay off the game, but I could think of several problems with that system that while it will stop cowereds, it wouldn't be worth it. This is in no way ment to be rood, but just one practicle sanario, if I need to go someware for a bit. Lets say I pop on the game, just to check up on my campsite, or see what's new. I'm not in the mood for a fight or defending my campsite during though's times. Now lets say someone comes over and attacks me. By what your saying is, just because I had to press escape basicly means i've lost everything because I had to disconnect from the game to go someware, as I understand it. Remember, the people we're calling cowereds for running away from a fight are also your players. Personally, I think that cowereds should be allowed to disconnect during a fight or at least have the possibility to run away. Sure, it will anger the player who was doing the killing, but as I understand it, their's plenty of people who want to kill so they can always go find a new viktem to stab in the face.

2015-06-29 10:05:15

sam, you're doing great job. just one sugestion: can you add conformation menu when you exit? for example, players with crooked fingers like me press a wrong button big_smile let's say, i want to open the inventory and take an arrow. but i press u instead of i, then a, then left, and then you know, what will happen if i'll press escape big_smile
well, danny, you won't do anything with constant killing in this game. but there's the way you stay alive. you always have some people you can trust, and they can probably defend you. next, you have your legs and you can escape, that will be hard to find you. and of course, you can learn how to fight. now knife sharpness is limited, so it's impossible to kill you with only one stab.

we are the strongest! we are the weapon of the force! we are one!
my name is darth scorp!

2015-06-29 10:25:11

Well jess, either way, were not talking about that publicly on this topic.

2015-06-29 10:32:15

I have no problem with running away or killing. Sometimes i'll do it myself, but only if the other person is ok with it, and I have no problems with death. Constant killing is an ishue, i'm still standing on that, but it would be less if that cowered system were dropt, that's all i'm saying. I do understand why killing is their. It is, after all, surviving the wild, and if I were coding a game with the same theme as stw then i'd probably be implementing the same killing thing.

2015-06-29 11:45:26

Hi everyone.  Ok I'm still having issues with survive the wild.  I'm still unable to find the stream and clay fast enough to get my first pot and drink of water.  It's also taking me ages to get a fishing pole made, so Sam I'm wondering if you could perhaps create a digging system, where there's a chance of you digging up some nuts or finding berries to tide you over, so you don't die so quickly.  Also, I know when the game starts I seem to be on the shore line, but I'm wondering if when I start it's a random location, as the last time I died then logged back in again, I was at the base of a mountain and couldn't get back to the stream.

out of my mind, back in 5 minutes.

2015-06-29 12:13:42

Hello, everyone,
I personaly agree with Danny. This isn't a solution, because it helps killers more than those being killed. It basicly sends a message "log on or log off, you Will die, anyway!" when you are hurt, you sit down, and when your helth is lower, you can't run, especially with high thirst and hunger wich go up much to fast. there's also a new bug that sometimes randemly logs you off. I don't know if that's your bug or hacking, but it really is anoying.
If you want to make this game realistic, why are rockgun, revolver, bullets, metal and map pages there? well, you can make a slingshot yourself, but revolver and bullets aren't realistic at all.
Have a nice day, Mayana.

PS: I'm not trying to be anoying, if that's what you think. do whatever you want, I *probably* won't stop playing. and even if some players stop, there are lots of others so ...

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2015-06-29 12:27:07

agree with post 849. nuts, and all it's good. i thing will be cool if that.

2015-06-30 03:59:26

I agree with Danny about the killing. Although I've made a few kills myself, it's difficult to defend myself against long-range revolvers and rock guns. I know Sam that you think revolvers are just faster than bows, but they also have a longer range. If I decide to get in close with a bow, all an enemy has to do is take a few steps back and fire their revolver. Once I get hit, I have two options: run towards them really fast with a spear and attack, or run away. So, revolvers should be more widely available to players as items we can craft.
As far as rules go, what do you have in mind? I heard newbies can't be killed unless they attack first, but that system has already been shown not to work very well. Let's say an old player creates a new account and logs on. They will show up as a newbie. However, I know that they're not actually new to the game. So, it is difficult to tell who is and who isn't a newbie.
Finally, this may be controversial, but i think there should be a way to craft some kind of navigation aid, such as a compass. Carno was discussing that on the server earlier. If we can have a watch and a radio, why not a compass? I know the sun can be used during the day to determine the direction of travel. However, for fifteen minutes of game play, players have to deal with nighttime, which means we cannot use the sun to orient hourselves. So, a compass would assist those who wish to travel at night.

2015-06-30 04:56:45

Hi everyone and Sam!
First of all I also agree with Danny and Rtr something.
Sorry for that can not spell all of your name.
smile
And Mayana point also good as well.
Since I also play your game quite often now.
Sometimes I also found the nubie player try to use that revovel gun or something that try to killl me.
As Mayana said earlier that's gun shouldn't be implemented if you want your game to be real as a survive the wild or something.
Cause that gun it was automatic though.
I agree that everyone should be able to make or create something to prevent ourselves.
Not just wait for the gift or something.
smile
By the way this is the right way Sam.
I see so many things was implemented like a real.
People play your game in there own style.
Someone might prefer to kill the other player in order to built up there resources quite fast.
And someone also love to be peace just wanna built there resources from time to times.
So for that kind of player you should implement something that can make them to protect themselves as well.
If you can do like that it's will be great and wwill be balance for all the players for sure.
Hope you will take some consideration.
By the way you done such a awsome job.
Keep up the good work!
Best!
Bee!

No! Please don't get me wrong!
The wrong could be right! The right could be wrong.

2015-06-30 05:38:51

well guys, I hate to say it but for a while, the game won't have any updates. Not a long while, maybe a week. Let's just say, stw is about to have one of the biggest updates it's had sence release, and... and well I need time to code it hahaha!

2015-06-30 19:44:49

Hello.
Sam no problem, good luck with coding!
Congratulations on your big game.
greetings and thanks.

sorry my english, is not my native language.

2015-06-30 21:41:18 (edited by RTR_Assassin 2015-06-30 21:59:30)

Hi Sam,
The longer the update takes, the better it will be. There's no point rushing it if it is unstable, or not ready for release. I hope it will bring the changes to the fighting system and add more maps for us to explore, as well as the long-awaited wild animals. Hope the coding is going well.

2015-06-30 23:04:13

well this update is big, and unfortionatly will requite a complete character purge, because most of it is that long waited inv system, which you'll all enjoy, trust me

2015-06-30 23:09:34

oh and... I am finily removing revolvers cause there not realistic! dmbwahahahahahahahahahahahaha! And, adding a way to make flairs, and probably just maybe I may remove gifts. Maybe not, but possibly.

2015-07-01 00:29:19

Hello,
Wow, this game is is becoming better! no revolvers? nice! but ... hmm, I'm wandering ... how would you be able to make flairs? No idea, but Will probably make them a lot ... wait, every item Will have wait so ... better not ... hahaha. I also agree with you, gifts aren't realistic. We could somehow make rockgun/slingshot with real seplys, anyway. In real life, there won't be magic boxes with seplys lying on the ground.
Anyway, continue your work, listen what other people say and good luck!

2015-07-01 01:04:34

Hi Sam,
I guess the revolvers are not really needed, as we have hammers, bows, knives, and whatever other weapons you decide to add in the future. They weren't available to all of us from the start because the only way to get them was to pick them up as gifts, so that will make fights a little easier to survive. I currently have one in my inventory, but I don't use it very often.
Also, the new inventory system sounds great. Hopefully, water will no longer show up as a separate item because it is carried in pots, so pots of water should just be one item. The other thing is that inventories could hold an infinite amount of items, which isn't realistic. Even in Alter Aeon there is a limit placed on a character's inventory size.
Finally, the idea of crafting either a rock gun, or slingshot sounds very good. Picking things up as gifts really never made much sense, since items can't randomly spawn in a realistic environment. So, I would like to see the possibility to craft either one of these weapons. Going back to the revolvers, you could allow players to craft them as well, along with the bullets. The trouble is that we would have to find metal somewhere, but you could add a map that involves exploring an abandoned mine field, which could allow players to pick up scraps of metal. Also, the camp ground could have items in it that were presumably left behind that could be picked up by players. These supplies could be used to build tools, such as weapons.

2015-07-01 06:49:51

The thing is with the new inventory system is that is't not even called an inventory. You have your left, and your right hand, and that's it. You can get a bag or what ever, but dragging 10 pounds of weight would suck for you and would take loads of energy away every step. And this will make way less killing because in order to kill you must be constantly prepared, and now you won't just have a paradice of things to lug around easily. You will be able to make bags with string, grass, etc, plus you will come with a dearskin bag, but basicly you will really need a campsight and a way to store items wmvmvmvmvmvmvmvmvmvmvmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmvbmvbmvmbvbmvbmvbmvbmvbmwvbmwvbmwvmahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! So now, steeling is a threat, but you will be able to hide your things. But the trouble is, you gotta remember whare you put it. I'm doing it because it causes way more, like way, more realism.

2015-07-01 09:18:49

wow sam i love what you do!!! keep it up! well, about stealing. that can be great if we will be able to place traps which can be seen only using camera. for example, something like a pit with wooden spikes at the bottom, covered with branches and leaves. goddam cool!

we are the strongest! we are the weapon of the force! we are one!
my name is darth scorp!

2015-07-01 10:27:49

Hello,
About camps and stealling ... if you store items on the flor, they Will dissapier after some time ... Will you fix that, because I see no use storring them and picking them up every fiew minuts, so they won't dissapier ...

2015-07-01 20:13:34

nah I won't make them dissapear that much. Because I might be able to fix whare it lags the server sometimes.

2015-07-01 21:20:02

Also, what editor do You use to write a readme files? I would like to edit some things, or add new very inportant.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.