2015-06-28 18:51:12

I know the game Forum wars found here  has been kicking around on whitestick.co.uk's online accessible games list  for some time,and I gave it a try earlier today.

The game is a turn based rpg based around defeating web forums by causing all the thread in them pwnage. Each thread in a forum is like a monster battle which takes your ego, and you fight back with abilities like drooling on your keyboard. At level 2 you can choose different classes like the hacker, the emo kid and the troll.
Bookmarks are like places in other games, with the S talk tab for chatting to npc contacts that give missions, the forums list for looking up different forums to slay (either ones created by the games community members or ones in the story), and the drugs are fun sight for purchicing your healing items.

Firstly, the reason I've never got that far in the game is that getting past the initial cut sceen is a little odd. You start off with a fairly standard multiple choice question set and then get dropped onto the parody web search version of google. What you need to do is first type into the box, and then look towards the bottom where you start getting messages from Shallow Assophagus, who is your first npc in the game.
Just click on responses and continue, and then you'll be put into the tutorial and go to your first battle.

The battle screen is a bit screwy sinse it has the battle log up top and your abilities with lots of mouseovers. I'd recommend turning off the display of community images under options and turning on the display of numbers in battle so you can keep watch on what is going on, also note that while the text of the forum replies and your attacks is there for commic value, the battle log shows what's going on stats wise in terms of damage so I'd watch that.
Battles are actually moderately tactical sinse each ability has cool down time and you also have a limited pool of mana, (or the closest thing the character classes have to mana).

I also had a look at the shop, and htere are some interesting options for those who might want to donate to the game, such as for example buying extra forum visits if you don't want to wait for the dayly adventure counter to fill up and just want to play through the story, or indeed buying super cheater options to make the game ridiculously easy, though unfortunately the episodes 2 and 3 of forum wars story do need to be purchiced.

I actually think it's a pretty well designed game. The problem for me is the humour is a little off for my taste, sinse while the principle of playing classes like troll and emo kid is an interesting one in itself, the actual execution just seems crude and unsubtle to me with nothing particularly whimsical or satyrical it's just sort of "yeah you can be an emo kid and go on about self harm and your parents", or "yeah you can be a jail bate girl and threaten to get people arrested for child molestation online and cause major havoc", (and you can imagine what the troll class is like).

I'm also not sure on the inference that basically your justified in causing enough assorted flamingg, heartache and forum vandalism that you cause various forums to be shut down just because your basically a bitch. It's not really satyrical, sinse a decent satyr usually comes at things sideways or with at least a little bite rather than a streight up complaint, indeed the hole game feels rather to me like one of those wrants about nasty people who cause havoc on forums you often get posted by nasty people who cause havoc on forums.

It's sort of the cyber bullying or havoc version of something like psychostrike, though I suppose it's a nice way for anyone who wants to be an utter douchenozzle online to have a go in a game, albeit as I said some of the character classes felt more like a complaint on the part of the developers than a way for players to innact their forum vandalizing fantasies.

As I said though, the game design actually i thought looked pretty cool, which is why I'm posting this reminder topic even though I have currently reached level 2 myself and probably shan't be playing anymore.

I am aware this isn't exactly the world's most glowing recommendation, but as I have tried the game and as the game mechanics are fun from a turn based rpg perspective I'd thought I'd let people know anyway sinse my objections were more with the writing style, and also because I do wonder how many people had a few access shenanigans with the game being as I did notice it's not the usual sort of interface you'd seen in a browser game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-06-28 20:04:58

LOL!

This sounds about as appealing as Prison Tycoon. :-\

2015-06-28 21:05:14

Oh, I am sure there is plenty of the nasty out there Gene. It's just that where something like Flexible survival, see database entry here was so overthetop it was grotesque, indeed if it weren't for my genophobia I'd probably have spent time with flexible survival, the writing in Forum wars just struck me as basic, common place complaints about internet sterriotypes.

Still, as I said, the game did have mechanics to recommend it, for example it has community assistance addding new forums and threads to fight, and items to use on a weekly basis, so you'd never get tired of seeing the same enemy descriptions as happens in some browser games, also i do like the idea of a game doing what KoL and Metroplexity and Twilight heroes and all the other dayly turn limit turn based rpgs do and actually giving you an option for virtually unlimited turns to finish the story so long as you don't want to be in player league tables. The Payed items werent' massively expensive either from what I gathered by looking at the online store.

Still, there are better written comedy games out there like Kingdom of loathing, see db page here , or for that matter Puppet nightmares]db page here , though to what extent that is comedy and to what extent a really serious rpg with some commical elements is debatable sinse the story can get  surprisingly dark and surreal.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-06-28 21:30:53 (edited by sid512 2015-06-28 21:34:04)

hi,
good concept. will try the thing again, now having read dark's  two-quarters encouraging post above. big_smile

anyways, I tried the game at least 4 years earlier, but the interface was quite unfriendly as to barely being able to select an option on the entire page.

thanks

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2015-06-28 21:55:48

Once you got into the game I wouldn't say the thing was actively difficult for the most part interface wise, it's just that most of the links had slightly different names and functions. for example "bookmarks" was sort of like your travel link, and S talk was your npc contacts, while the game's actual discussion forums were referd to amusingly enough as flame bate big_smile.

I didn't try the in game chat or any multiplayer so I don't know if there has been overhaul there.

With the battle screen, things were a trifle complex sinse there were lots of unlabeled random images as links which didn't do anything, but all the important info was readable, and so long as you keep watching the battle log up top and the abilities bar further down where you activated your attacks things were fine, ---- heck you could read the mock forum postings if you wished too.

2015-06-28 22:47:27

I'm sure the game has appeal to some people, just I wouldn't want to be a prison wardon or owner, as in Prison Tycoon, being a hacker and trashing forums just doesn't appeal to me, even as a fantasy. Probably because I've been a forum administrator and know how much work it is.

2015-06-28 23:34:32

Oddly enough though I obviously am a forum administrator, it isn't necessarily the forum attacking motivation that bothers me, indeed the hacker class is one of the ones that bothers me least.

It's more just the execution. Real life emo kids usually have actual problems so taking the micky by replicating comments about self harm is just pretty sad, the same goes for the "permanoob" class which is supposedly about the well meaning person who is not an experienced net user, ---- indeed having been one of these myself for quite some time I always have sympathy and try to help people with basic questions rather than seeing them as there to be laughed at.

Yes, trolls and s/xually promiscuous people who get a kick out of supposedly disturbing others or causing trouble exist, but simply building a game engine to replicate their behaviour in rpg attacks is to me just sad, rather than humourus (particularly sinse in reality such people rarely get to actually distroy forums).

I definitely think the game could! have been a lot of fun if it had writing that was a bit more sharp and witty rather than just riding that one trick "oooh look it's a game about internet sterriotypes pony" all the way through.

For example, imagine if it were more rpg like and the troll had a weapon called the flaming club of flaming expletives, or the permanood had a quest to find the missing any key.

2015-06-28 23:57:00

You're right, making fun of those people is about as pathetic as the guy who recorded a video of a blind girl running into a wall and then posting it on facebook as humor. Not ($*%(#*%($* funny.

I can see how, if they had had decent writers that could paint it as a satire, it might be more entertaining.

From what you've said about it though, I'll keep an eye, or should I say ear, on it. It may become worth playing, but not right now.

2015-06-29 03:04:46

I don't think I'd go that far gene, it's no worse than the many bouts of belly aching about forum trends and members that so often occur on forums themselves, the sorts of people who start posts with "what's wrong with this community", or "the trouble with people like that" and I certainly don't claim to have a pure record on that score myself. Yes, it is rather sad, but just in the way prejudices usually are.

It just strikes me the creators of forum wars instead of actually working on riting interesting satyr and properly timed comedy, simply picked their favourite perceived pet peaves and sterriotypes of forum behaviour and replicated it into a game.

I'd certainly not cryticise anyone for playing which is why indeed I posted this topic in the first place, in fact as I said above there are one or two factors here that do distinguish the gameplay of forum wars, albeit that unfortunately for me those factors don't compensate for the less than stellar standard of the humour.

2015-06-29 07:44:10

Is the game being updated anymore? Are the community updates still happening weekly? I have been playing since the game launched in 08 or so, and I'm still in the middle of EPisode 3. There is a chat system remonicant of IRC in later episodes where you story conversations take place. I just wish they'd come out with more side content, because if I do login and eventually get through to the ending of E3, what else is there to do? Nothing. And the creator of this game went onto other projects, like creating popular forum software Discourse.

2015-06-29 08:15:38

Well from what I gathered there were a few ongoing things, though no mention of new episodes.
Firstly, there were deals and such mentions in the game's store some of which I got the idea were new items.
Secondly, there is community item builder and forum builder software and new forum dungeons are put up each week, while these are essentially new battles with no storyline they do as I said insure you don't have to just fight the same monsters again and again.

As to what to do when finishing episode 3, well like KoL it seemed to be possible to purchice another character and go through as a different class, and the permanoob class was even mentioned as an advanced play and not to be attempted first time around.
So there did seem to be some stuff going on with the game as regards updates even if not actually updates to the story or side quests,  and considdering that what I saw the game was heavy on batles and for obvious internet reasons doesn't really have the exploring it did strike me as a good way around.

2015-06-30 18:24:59

i likkkkey tricycles! 328709r3ffffffffff28u09qew-1 kalgnlksangk? 
... oh, my, god ...
well, as you can see, I tryed it. It was worse than I hoped it would be, heh. Anyway, this spam there is my favorite thing I said there ... it sure sounds strange ... I probably am an idiot for playing this.
Anyway, I'm stuck, because when talking to this Japones girl, I pressed link #2 insted of 1, and that means that she blocked me ... I wanted to play it longer, but it seams not.
Anyway, have a nice day and no trolling, Mayana.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2015-07-01 01:48:47

Hay Mayana, if you like the game fare enough, i did like some of the mechanics.
I can't help you on the japanese girl thing though sinse that wasn't a part I saw, though I don't think it's possible to fail at the story so maybe her blocking you had a purpose.

2015-07-01 10:33:08

Hello, Dark,
Thank you for your help but when I try to contact Shalow on S Talk I get:

Sorry, I’m away from the keyboard right now and unable to receive your message.

If this is Mayana, (My name) please come back once you’ve helped out Futanari-Moe, Anonymous and retrieved the operating system I’ve asked for.
Well, I helped anonimus and bought this sistem so ... I think I am stuck ... hmm.
Thank you for your help, anyway, Mayana

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2015-07-01 11:06:10

Hmmm, perhaps checking the wiki or asking on the flamebate forums might help here. I unfortunately stopped playing just after I was given that mission by anonymous to by the system, so don't have an idea on what comes next in the story.

2015-07-10 22:52:22

I've actually played this game for a while, and I'm glad to see that peopl still play it. I haven't played in years, though. big_smile

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce