2015-06-27 23:26:36

As the topic says, I am wondering if anyone on here has challenged sighted people to audio games. I am making this topic because my grandma asked me if she could try an audio game, and we tried a lot of simple ones. We eventually found that both my grandma and grandpa could play Troopanum 1, and a couple of other games. So, I am wondering if anyone else on here has challenged sighted people to audio games. I also recorded my grandma and grandpa playing Troopanum, just so people can here how this sounds. Note that it's not the best sounding, and in mono. Also, theirs a lot of other sounds in the background. The link is,
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101 … opanum.mp3

Barren Byron used Nature Overdrive!

2015-06-27 23:57:29

Hi,
In sixth grade, I challenged my friend to play q9, and he became very interested in it. Even when Perilous hearts was released, he preferred perilous hearts to q9. He could jump from pits, pick up items, kill some enemies etc.

2015-06-28 00:10:43

I played several games such as Jim's game of life with friends and some of the trivia files with my parents. Plus, I've shown games like troopanum 2 and shades of doom to friends. Really though there isn't anything that special about sighted people playing audiogames, after all there is nothing wrong with people's ears, it's just a matter of experience and the number of sighted players of games like pappasangre on the ap store shows that there is at least some interest from the sighted community even as a novelty.

The problem as far as gameplay challenges goes is usually a blind player will have been far more experienced at the game than a sighted player, thus making it not a good matchup.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-06-28 00:34:50

Well not exactly but I did play MKX against 2 sighted people, my brother, and my neighbor. I lost some fights and won some...

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2015-06-28 02:54:43

Hello folks. I did experiments with both cases. Playing a mainstream game with sighted people and invited some sighted friends and family members to play audiogames. Both were very fun and rewarding experiences. Now adays I still do play with them.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2015-06-28 03:29:26

I've played mainstream games with sighted folks, mostly my cousin. I tricked him to play entombed once though. He got confused and started pounding like crazy. He had no clue what to do. Ohman, it was fun.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2015-06-28 05:32:53

I managed to get one of my nephews to play Audio Archery and he actually got archery master before I did, and that was with version 1.1.

But of course, that game is so basic, it's not hard to learn.

2015-06-28 07:38:40

I once also had great fun with people trying to learn boppit, which if not actually an audio game is at least fairly equal in audio terms, that was pretty good.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-06-28 08:31:57

I had fun with people trying to play the somethinelse games. The nightjar worked out great and it got completed in about an hour, but I think that ps1 was stopped do to frustration and ps2 never even quite got started.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2015-06-28 20:32:36

hi.
My sister was trie to play bk3 and she was beaten about six levels.
She was  tried also treasure hunt or entombed but bk3 was the best for her.
Also my sighted friend is still playing sound rts.

2015-06-29 06:07:04

I'm developing a game called JF Simon. I had a friend of mine try to play it and the almost won on easy difficulty. 9 out of 10 points. It happend like 3 or 4 times. Of course that isn't exactly an audio game. But there is some stereo panning.

Sincerely:
John Follis
Check out my YouTube Channel.

2015-06-29 06:28:57

Hi
My brother has played PapaSangre, and he was confused, walking and bumping into walls, finding the music notes was very hard for him, although he was using an ear pods but he got eaten by the snuffle hogs several times, keep in mind also that he was playing in the first levels, which are the easiest big_smile.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2015-06-29 12:27:47

Hello,
I challenged a friend to Super Egg Hunt Plus once, the result was quite interesting, this person got, I think, around 50.
Of course,t he best one to do is definitely bop it. Very nice pick up and play game/toy that pretty much anyone can get the hang of if you give them long enough, I've had several people who can hold their own against me, or we'd try the co-op and try to beat pass it and bop til we drop, in bop it exteme once me and a friend got to aroudn the seventh pass it level and the game was going rather fast.

2015-07-02 00:30:37

I got my brother to play super shot, and he got a higher score than me on the hard difficulty

Blindness isn't a disability, but a diffrent way of seeing things

2015-07-02 21:46:06

Me and my friend tried swamp, i let him wear the headphones and he actually killed a zombie or 2, then i took over because if not i would have died. This was online. He did it offline and went mad with the vulcan and killed like 20 zombies at least. Either that thing is powerfull or he was good at it.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2015-07-22 04:48:07

Interesting topic. My sister played Grizzly Gulch a few times when it first came out, and she was pretty good at it. I also remember playing Jim Kitchen's trivia game with my parents. Then again, that was the DOS version, so it did have visual output that they could follow.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2015-07-22 17:14:51 (edited by boy 2015-07-22 17:18:07)

Speaking of Jim Kitchen games, there were times when my whole family would play Jim Kitchen Monopoly with me simply because we didn't have a braille game board. It got fun when I learned how to make my own Monopoly boards. My father is really into Monopoly, and I could never beat him. I beat one of the times we played, on one of my boards. You land on powerful bear, which is already owned by, Person, player number 1. He got so confused, because none of the propperties had names that sounded normal to him, aspecally on my Bokurano Daibouken 3 board, or another one I made called The Board Of Randomness.

Barren Byron used Nature Overdrive!

2015-07-23 12:48:47

Here is an article from 2002 about the All-in-Play game company that used to be namedZForm

Company builds game plan to help blind
By Gareth Cook,
Globe Staff, 6 July 2002.

Spitzer's Northampton-based company, called ZForm, also built
a prototype of Quake, an intensely visual game where players cruise a maze delivering mayhem. Quake turned out to be quite difficult to modify for the blind. Players see the world
through the eyes of a heavily armed character who navigates a perilous maze. Hallways branch left and right. The floor is littered with extra weaponry and packs to heal wounds. Vicious enemies appear suddenly and begin attacking. To make Quake work for a blind player, the team had to create a world of aural cues
that evoked the complex visual world of Quake. When a hallway comes up on the right, for example, the player can hear a slight rushing of air off to the right. Other
things in the game - objects like guns or competing players - were programmed to give off characteristic sounds, their direction indicated by their relative volume
in the ears.
One of the greatest moments came this winter when the team was showing off its sound-only
version of Quake to other game designers. Keenan, whose blindness started them on
their quest, took on the other game designers, all old hands at Quake. ''Tim,'' said
Spitzer with a laugh, ''just slaughtered them.''
Gareth Cook can be reached at
[email protected]
This story ran on page B1 of the Boston Globe on 7/6/2002.