2015-06-24 07:24:58

Since the ps4 no longer has standard RCA video output support, I can't record the way I used to... does anyone have ideas on how to record from my ps4 which only supports HDMI output? Something that preferably doesn't require something expensive like a video capture device?

Discord: clemchowder633

2015-06-24 08:47:56

Hi.
Oh, that's doable depending on what kind of equipments you have. I can think of two ways to do this, if you can monitor your line in port on your computer, so you can hear what's going on if you connect anything to your line in port through your computer.
1: Connect the ps4 to your tv using HDMI, and let the audio go to your tv. Then plug a standard 3.5 mm jack cable to the headphone jack on your tv into the line in port on your computer. Then monitor from your line in port so you use your computer as speakers from your ps4, and then you can of course record this.
2: If you have a surround receiver, you can plug a toslink digital audio cable into the square ended audio output connection on the ps4, just like on the ps3. Plug this cable to a input on the receiver, and then plug an audio cable from the headphone jack on the receiver into your computer, and do as described above.
So, you can actually do like you always have done, and I think the easiest way is the first thing, where you just take the audio from the tv instead directly from the playstation. That's of course impossible if your tv doesn't have a headphone jack. If that's the case, then I'll see what else I can come up with. that reminds me that I should really start to record games again... smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2015-06-24 08:58:29

@assault
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you want to get video, as it sounds like you might, or at the very least get audio out of the PS4, the line-in option is probably all you have.  That is, of course, unless you're willing to learn the ins and outs of the ps4's recording interface which, as an Xbox one user, I currently know nothing about.  In short, "expensive video capture devices" are mostly the route that people use due to the fact that they are easy enough to use withmultiple systems and can be more accessible at times than the native recording interfaces on modern consoles.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2015-06-24 11:12:43

SLJ, the problem is you assume I actually have a TV in the same room as my main computer... the trouble is I don't. hahaha. The only thing I can do to record right now is use my line in, and with my ps3 I can go directly through, but seems I can't do that with a ps4 without some sort of thing in between, either a TV or a surround sound bar.

@sightless. I don't want to get video at the moment. I don't even have a youtube channel, and I don't have enough time to stream... although the idea might not be a bad one. I just want some way to record through the line in port of my computer. Although, with the ps4 being able to record and upload internally, I think I can just earn that interface.. assuming that I get a youtube channel, of course. Although apparently, according to this article, consoles may be starting to become more accessible starting as soon as this fall. Not immediately, of course, but hopefully relatively soon. Keep the ideas coming!
http://globalaccessibilitynews.com/2015 … n-october/

2015-06-24 15:45:59

Oh I thought you had a laptop. Lol. That's really the only options available since the ps4 only have a digital output and a HDMI.
Does your computer have a combined digital and analog line in port? Some computers have. If that's the case, then you can use the digital output on the ps4. you can also get converters which convertes from digital to analog so you can plug your cables into the digital output, but I have never used those.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2015-06-24 21:05:58

I don't actually know what that looks like, so I'm not entirely sure... but I doubt it. converters look to be the way to go, again. lol And you're right, I do have a laptop, but that's for basic and more administrative type stuff like emails, travel use, etc. My desktop which is my main computer is where all the gaming and multimedia stuff happens, recording and the like. Right now, both computers need a bit of maintenance... my desktop randomly bsods a lot and turns on after many attempts, and I need to figure out the problem before it fails totally. Just wish I had enough to pay for it. hahaha.

2015-06-25 08:52:20

A digital input or output can both be the Toslink digital connecter as I mentioned before, but also a standard minijack, which is both analog and digital.
You can easily install some recording software on your laptop, hoog up your tv to it like previously described record what you wanna record and easily moves the recordings out of the pc using a flash drive. That's what I would do if I were you since you actually have a laptop instead buying converters and move your console into an other room etc. But that's up to you.

Best regards SLJ.

2015-06-25 08:54:10

I also like playing direct through my computer as there's no input lag unlike on the hd tv I have, which apparently doesn't have a game mode setting. If all else fails I can just plug my olympus into the tv and turn the gain way down. I can record from there. But I'm asking partially because of recording, and also because of no input delay... which I despise but can't fix since I'm not the one who bought the tv. lol

2015-06-25 16:22:08

Also, is there a good way to tell whether my line in port is digital or simply analogue? lol

2015-06-27 22:19:23

Another option you have is Twitch. I broadcast to Twitch, then export them to Youtube. I know Liam Erven did figure out the recording interface.

2015-06-28 00:49:08

As I said, I'm not planning on uploading to youtube just yet. Just good 'ol mp3 files for posting to places like this, the way I cuurrently do with my ps3. lol

2015-06-28 06:13:51

Lol, I'm sure this won't work but wasn't there a way to use headphones on your PS4 controller?
Instead of using headphones plugged in to the PS4 controller, just plug in a patch cable to the PC, and record using stereo mix. hahahaha. Sorry man, just a funny thought.

You can add me on Steam.
Here is my Twitch profile page Follow me if you want.
You can also follow me on Twitter.
Kong!

2015-06-28 06:45:39

It would work yeah. I'm actually surprised noone else thought of that... I just have to confirm that you can use the headphone jack of the controller even without an hdmi connection.

2015-06-28 20:12:41

I'm sure you can. All the HDMI does is output audio and Video.
Maybe the PS4 detects that there isn't any output so, it doesn't work? That's the only reason why i would think, the PS4 would not work without any sort of output. Then again, I don't know, because I personally do not own a PS4.

You can add me on Steam.
Here is my Twitch profile page Follow me if you want.
You can also follow me on Twitter.
Kong!