2015-06-21 03:55:45

hey folks, well I am interested in coding in both languajes.
not at the same time, but one by one.
if someone teaches me thanks a lot!
best regards?
therminator.

no matter what you do, alwais, ghosts will be there. Demonic spirits waiting for you. Charlie Charlie are you here? suddenly, charlie appears with a knife. He killed me! charlie charlie are you here? tell me if it's yes. Are you gonna persew me or you're leaving me in peaze? oh my gosh charlie is indeed here! he's about to kill me!
:D

2015-06-21 07:15:36

I'd recommend looking at online tutorials, focusing on concepts that are common across multiple programming languages such as variables, operators, functions, inheritance etc.

BGT has a short tutorial on some of the basics in its help documentation as well.

2015-06-21 12:00:16

thanks bick.
I already have took a look at that ones, but pb one is pretty... hard?
thanks for replyin.
seeya!

no matter what you do, alwais, ghosts will be there. Demonic spirits waiting for you. Charlie Charlie are you here? suddenly, charlie appears with a knife. He killed me! charlie charlie are you here? tell me if it's yes. Are you gonna persew me or you're leaving me in peaze? oh my gosh charlie is indeed here! he's about to kill me!

2015-06-21 14:26:04

I'm trying to learn C#, but I've always sucked at coding. I do like it so far though. And I don't want to come off as rude or insulting about BGT, but i think the arrays and dictionaries are kind of inflexible compared to Lua and Python. Lua's a very flexible scripting language, where the arrays, (called tables in Lua), can be any size and don't have to have their size stated at creation. Tables in Lua can also hold more than one type of variable. And variables can hold any data type Python is good too, but I'm not a fan of the indenting for if statements and loops and such. I find I easily keep track of what's going on if there are {} instead of indents. And I'm vary new to C#, but am liking it so far. And I'm loving visual studio 2015 community. It's an awesome editor and it has this thing called Intellisense, where it helps you with build in functions, or functions from any lib. For example, if I want to print a line to the console, it's Console.WriteLine. Well, when i type con, a list below my typing is populating with stuff, and if console is the first option, you just hit enter on it then you do a .wri, and options come up. It even reads your own code, if you do classes, it'll allow you to access the functions inside them when you create an instance down the line, Intellisense will automatically show you the options of stuff you've done. It's really nice. Also, for the sighties, there are red squiggly lines that come up similar to spell checkers. When you see one on an entire line, you fucked up somewhere and you should check that line, or the line above it, but if its at the end of the line only, you probably just forgot a semi colon. I also like the way in which you can add values of variables into strings. You don't need to concatenate the strings. for example, in BGT, you could do.

string name=Yer mom
int age=45
alert("Yo", + name + "is " + age + " years old.");

In C#, It's a bit different, you use a place holder, now i must admit I've only tested it with one variable per print thingy, I don't know if you increase in number or do more of them, but it would look like this.

string name = "Bob";
Console.WriteLine("Hi there, my name is {0}, nice to meet you"., name);

So you see, you don't have to break out of your string, and piece them together, you can simply use the placeholder, the comma then the variable name just takes that placeholder and replaces it with a value.

Oh, and BTW, VS is a great IDE, it supports endless different stuff, including python, actually.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2015-06-22 08:48:18

@ironcross32: what screen reader are you using with vs 2015? I tried using jaws and NVDA and it drove me nuts because there was no way to stop the announcement of line numbers, as that doesn't seem t be controled in the IDE settings. I've filed a bug report with microsoft, but don't hold much hope that that bug will get fixed.

What you touched on, how you think lua is better than bgt's arrays, looks like a debate on whether dynamically typed languages are better than strongly typed ones. There are use cases for both, but I'm personally more comfortable with a strongly typed language.

@terminator: You need to give us more information, simply saying that the pb tutorial is difficult is useless because we don't have enough information to help you. What concepts particularly are you struggling on?

2015-06-22 12:24:21

I'm on NVDA and its not reporting line numbers to me, I'm on the latest 2015.2 version of NVDA

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2015-06-22 17:51:08

@The Terminator, there's no real way to teach you a programming language over the internet in a live session. I'd recommend books, tutorials, articles, and fiddling; by fiddling, I mean experimenting: see what something does, make mistakes, and learn from those mistakes. A book, tutorial or article can only take you so far, and it will only teach you what something does. It will not teach you how to code, because your learning from the authors experience, which is totally different from yours. So, after reading a book, tutorial or article, try writing some code in the language you want to program in. It will help you extremely quickly and, by doing this, you will be able to expand your knowledge to other computer languages; soon, before you know it, you'll be programming in some assembly language here and there, some C/C++ over here, and some Java over there. Or, perhaps, you'll learn Go, then D, then C? It all depends on what you want to learn first. By focusing on a language like BASIC, you learn to understand the way computers work and, hence, the way programming languages work. Then, after learning an easy language like BASIC, you'll be able to quickly and efficiently expand your knowledge to other languages because you already know the basics.
Yes, data types, classes, objects, functions, etc. may be handled differently in each language, but once you learn the basics, you and your mind will be able to adapt to the new changes extremely quickly. By then, you'll already be programming in that language, or reading about it, and befroe you know, you've already learned 5 to 9 languages. I've learned more than 8 programming languages already, and while I cannot remember everything I've used that language for, or conjure up a code example fo ryou, I can assure you that the more languages you know, the more you'll get a job and broaden the job opportunities for yourself. You'll also extend the chance to get a degree in college - if you choose to go that far - quite a lot.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-06-23 14:55:37

hey...
thanks for the motivation!
badly i'm poor and cannot purchase books.
can someone recommend me some for bgt and pb?

2015-06-23 15:12:15

Terminator, as far as I am aware there are no books for BGT. It is a custom tool written by Blastbay for the blind community and the only documentation available is that which comes with BGT itself. So that is the place where one has to begin if they want to use BGT.

As for Purebasic I am not aware of any books for Purebasic, but then again that isn't a language I have spent too much time investigating. I do know, however, Purebasic comes with a lot of free documentation and again if you want to learn Purebasic that would be the place to begin.

With all that said have you considered maybe learning Python. It is generally an easy language to learn, has lots of free documentation, and is extremely useful as an all purpose programming language and scripting language. I personally would recommend Python over BGT or Purebasic, but the choice is yours of course.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2015-06-23 16:45:56

@the Terminator, actually, if you are able to purcahse a Bookshare account (You can sign up here) then you can get more than 1,200 books on all sorts of things technology. In fact, I have about 184 to 190 or more books on technology alone - all on programming, Linux, computers, OS kernels, etc. It's like a miniature library of my own creation, all on my Victor Reader stream New Generation. Also, with the VRS New Generation, therea re hundreds, if not thousands, of podcasts on technology - although I only found 200 of them, but I highly doubt that's all of them.
As for tutorials and articles, search around the net. The net is a world of all sorts of things. Simply look up "<enter language name here> programming tutorial" (without the quotes, replacing <enter language name here> with the language of your choice) in a google search, and you're bound to find something.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-06-23 22:14:49

TB?

(The only thing I can think of for TB is Turbo Basic. Borland had their Turbo Assembler, Turbo C, Turbo C++, Turbo Lisp, and Turbo Pascal, but I don't think they ever offered Turbo Basic)

2015-06-23 23:13:51

@GeneWarner, correct. There is no Turbo Basic to my knowledge. I remember using
Turbo C, Turbo C++, and Turbo Pascal in my high school and college days but I have never heard of a Turbo Basic.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com