2008-06-03 12:34:50

the other week i was supposed to see a play a friend of mine was in. Due to a stupid taxi driver taking me to the wrong place, and then my hour long wait to get a taxi from where I was I utterly missed the play, and ended up spending 20 quid and three hours on a trip for absolutely nothing!

After swearing a lot, I have now decided that I want an audio gps to stop these sorts of things from happening and mean i'm not reliant upon the directional senses of taxi drivers who couldn't find their own bumb with both hands and a map!

So, as far as audio gps devices goes, what's going?

I spoke to a friend on the phone who mentioned the trecker device, and I then phoned the company, but the thirteen hundred pound price tag (combined with my tuition fees), rather put me off.

My friend also mentioned a program called wayfinder access which worked on phones with screen reading software, and thought this was a cheaper alternative, even going on the fact that I don't own anything like that at the moment (I think about six hundred pounds all in counting perchice of phone, software, and gps hardware).

so how does the mobile phone option work? who do i contact about it?

What sort of phone do I need?

Is there another option in gps terms that I've missed?

any advice would be much appreciated.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-06-03 16:38:51

well, I recently went to this convention & I heard about some gps software one I heard was on the braille note, & I forget what cell phones work with screen raders, but I do remember they were some of the big cell phone companies I may obtain information in the future so I can post something if I get some more news

Connor

2008-06-03 19:40:43

I can personally recommend [url=http://www.talknav.com[/url]TalkNav[/url], they sell Talks and Wayfinder access. I tried a demo of Wayfinder Access after buying a GPS receiver from them for this purpose and came to the conclusion it is a little impractical for on foot, since I would have to walk along with my phone in my hand near my head. That's the big advantage of the trekker, the shoulder strap and the speaker on it. TalkNav were great for Talks though, they emailed the code to me fairly promptly.

As for the phones Talks homepage has a list of supported devices and a demo available for download. The "Vocaliser" voices are nice too, I use Emily. It's basically a low footprint version of RealSpeak.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-06-03 22:49:21

Hi:

Code Factory has just announced Mobile Geo which is a GPS solution for Smartphones and pocket PC's running Windows Mobile. Right now, they are looking for Beta Testers to test it and who ever contributes the most, can get a free license but anyways, there's another one made by Sendero Group for the Braille Note, the Braille Sense and just recently Mobile Geo. Code Factory colaborated with Sendero Group to create it.
To check out the features of Mobile Geo, you can go to
http://codefactory.es
and if you are interested in the GPS solution for the Braille Note and Braille Sense, you can check out Sendero Group's website by going to
http://senderogroup.com
The GWMicro website may have some information about their GPS solution but I'm not sure about it.The website for GWMicro is
http://gwmicro.com
Hope this helps

Game Man

2008-06-04 00:16:29

Hmmm, I'm not even sure what a braille sense is, and while I've considdered a Pda, I don't much like the price, ---- especially compared to the wayfinder option which as I said I believe costs about six hundred quid all in for the phone, software and hardware.

thanks a lot for all the linkage Cx2, ----- just what i wanted to know.

As reguards the braille note stuff, one question? I don't know a lot about the braille note, but i thought it was a pda with a keyboard and braille display. If so, how do you read it in the middle of the street to get your directions? Is it small enough to just pull out and read? does it have speech and so potentially use of headphones or similar?

appologies if I've got this wrong.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-06-04 01:23:55

All sounds nice. I'm just letting you know that there is StreetTalk wich runs on the pacmate, but if you don't own a Pacmate, then the wayfinder might be the best for you. I would like to know of a GPS reciever that you can use off road.. I would like to take it hiking and I would like to set way points wich is like POI on the street ones. Any suggestions? It doesn't need a screen but all the features must be accessible without sight.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-06-04 04:26:35

Wayfinder doesn't work off road? I was also hoping to go walking with it, and anyway there are lots of small lanes and litle alleys in Durham where you can walk, but not get a car, how does it handle those?

2008-06-04 15:23:42

I don't know how it handles off road. It just that most GPS recievers are not built for off roads. It's just that when I'm walking off road, I prefer to set bread crumms, make my own maps and so on. The on road ones tend to get a little annoying when you get on a root that they don't know

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-06-04 17:44:18

Apparently Trekker has a "free mode" which it switches to when you're outside of an area with street information.

As to Wayfinder, I'll warn you it also requires a mobile internet connection. It might use about 10 or 20p for a substantial trip, I'm not sure. This is based on Orange pay as you go, if you use other providers or have a data package it might vary.

As to the Braillenote, it isn't quite a PDA with a keyboard and Braille display. It uses a proprietary system built on top of the PDA system so you can't run normal PDA software. The Pac Mate however is cheaper for all levels and accesses the Windows Mobile system directly, instead of using it to save on programming work. All of them as far as I know have speech output and also come in speech only versions along with choice of qwerty or Braille keyboard, but headphones probably aren't recommended when outside on foot because they could muffle or distort traffic sounds.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-06-04 22:50:50

Okay, that makes sense as to the pdas. I did wonder about the mobile internet connection, but I can probably find something reasonable with Bt, ----- and besides, 20 p is a lot less than the 20 pounds I would've paid before.

As site village is coming up, I might see if code factory or someone else who could be demonstrating mobile software is going so that I can have a look there, ---- that's also what I did with the ultra cane.

the only problem with the trecker is the thirteen hundred pound price tag, as I have about three thousand pounds a year tuition fees to pay, money isn't exactly something I have in abundence, ---- though going part time should change that a bit.

Trecker do say their working on a smaller more reduced model for a retail price of five hundred, but that doesn't include off road, or post code searching I think, and all in all sounded less ifficient than the wayfinder.

All of this is really extreme as accessible tech prices go, ----- my Dad's tom tom cost him three hundred quid, and the only reason that is inaccessible is inability to enter the address of where I'm going.

Oh well, at least the wayfinder would also have the advantage of giving directions to the next gaumless taxi driver I meet.

2008-06-05 14:51:49

I hope that there will one day be a gps for the braille plus  that would be extremely convenient

Connor

2008-06-05 16:55:12

i have a friend. he has nokia E 65 and the gps works. he is working with way finder.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2008-06-05 17:56:43

I've an E65 too. It might work fine for in taxis, but would be fairly useless on foot given the requirement for a third arm and hand. You just can't walk along with your phone to your ear and a cane in the other hand, it simply doesn't work.

I know when I went to sight village a few years ago Humanware, or was it Visuaide then, certainly were demonstrating the Trekker. You might be able to find someone demonstrating the Wayfinder, but if Computer Room Services are there they should be at least be able to discuss Talks which they're also a reseller of.

Myself I was impressed by the ultracane at sight village, but upon buying one was horribly disappointed. I found it just distracted too much, while using it I didn't get that much extra info from the ultrasonics and was too busy concentrating on that that I didn't noticed I had crossed a road... twice. Luckily they were more small lanes, but still it was enough that I didn't use it again. It also distracted my normally pretty good ability to dodge people purely from their sound.

cx2
-----

2008-06-06 03:34:22

CJ, the gps for the BrailleNote is just that...

And CJ the one that guy demonstrated was Trekker.

And the new Trekker Breeze came out I think.

And CJ they will make a Braille+ Version in about 3 or so years, they're gonna tackle braille displays, and squash bugs first.