2015-05-30 19:00:42

I think this will be cool! I'd also like to have a microphone and a wifi adaptor thing, so that online games can be played, or content or games could be downloaded.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2015-05-30 21:42:50

"What type of quality are the audio games out there like?"
There are a handful of good ones, otherwise, in all honesty, quite mediocre. I'm not going to name the good and the bad, but there are lot more bad than good.

"What would we consider the most important aspects of an audio game? (Such as the Narrators Voice could make or ruin a game)"
Well, in my opinion, the sounds.

"Would a platform such as a game console be welcomed or needed within the community?"
It's a neat idea, so I'm all for it. Another benefit of it is that if it got big enough, companies like Microsoft or Soni may notice it and jump on the audio games consol wagon.

"Do many blind or visually impaired people cope with devices such as Iphones where game apps are available?"
Yes there are audio games on phones, but again, most of them are not entertaining.

"The Sonus controlled via buttons. One dedicated pause button and five buttons to be programmed for whatever the game developer has in mind."
Pardon me if I'm completely misunderstanding this, but are you saying that there are no arrows or analog sticks?

I appreciate you asking us for our feedback, and I'm interested in seeing what will come of this. However, I do want to point out a few things. A consol is a big thing to pitch and attempt for it to become reality, so I'm sure I and many others are expecting big games too. I know for sure that many of us can say how many side scrollers and 1/2 button games there are. Blind people are blind, and that's it, we are still heavy gamers like sighted people. That being said, my expectation are high, but I will support this idea any way I can.

2015-05-30 22:55:24

As he pointed out the buttons are programmable. If a dev wants to use the buttons as arrows they can program 4 buttons to move up, down, left, or right. That in my ipinion is quite medioker as just about every gamer is used to having arrows as either a d-pad or laptop style arrows.

2015-05-31 22:13:48

@jack
Yeah I agree.

2015-06-25 00:27:57

I apologize for my absence on the forum for such a long time, changes in my personal life have slowed the Sonus's development quite drastically but development still pushes on regardless.

Thanks to the priceless feedback and opinions you all share with me, I have added more buttons to the Sonus. As mentioned, all buttons are programmable by the developer but now i intent to have four buttons as a d-pad and 5 actions buttons along with a dedicated pause buttons that isn't programmable.

The Sonus has reached its foundation level where I am happy with all tests, and functions are all working as they should (object collisions, button responses etc) and work has now begun on what I call the GDE (Game Development Environment).  I intend to develop them both parallel to each other but possibly make the GDE available early to catch any bugs and tweek it after collecting user feedback.

As always thank you all for your input. you are a valuable resource that ensures this projects success

2015-06-25 03:19:37

I saw this post when it was originally posted, and I am glad you're still working on it.   It's a good idea, and I hope nothing but the best for you   I just want you to know that is a tough road ahead.  One thing that I do recommend, and I'm sure other people have recommended it as well. It's to get in touch with some of the developers on here, because that's one thing you will definitely need.  I will definitely check out your website, and keep an eye on this topic. Best of luck to you.

A Candle Loses Nothing by Lighting Another Candle…
" GamerTag is. ItsTBlaze & Twitter @TBlaze97
"One Love"

2015-06-25 06:18:24

Wow, this sounds way cool! (Yeah, I'm from the 70s)

Before I lost my vision, my favorite games were first person games. Except for Blindside, I have yet to try any first person audio games like Swamp, but plan to as soon as I get some decent headphones.

I'm becoming more interested in action and role playing games than I have been in the past, especially if they are done with a first person perspective, .

What I wanted most to say was to respond to remark you or someone else made about listening to the same voice over a long period of time. I recently encountered several games that solved this by having several narator that switched off as appropriate to the game. In Blindside, you follow a couple, you play the game as the guy. The guy does most of the naration, but occasionally his girl friend would chime in.

2015-06-25 13:34:00

As for the g d e, I think that maybe if you could get @philipbennefall''s permission over here you could base it up of bgt, it's the language that a ton of us out here are familiar with, and if you can base it off of that we're more likely to have a bunch of test games from the blind community when the feedback version of the g d e comes out. If you haven't checked out bgt, www.blastbay.com. And it's completely free!

2015-11-26 01:50:29

ok. so, let us see hear, what is to become of this?  i do realize it takes alot of time and time is deffinitly went in to this creation however  there have been no post or info sense sometime in june and the sight sad to say is closed.   are we at all getting close to a release date?   etc?   it seems this this was good idea gone bad.    i've heard nothing in short of gaming etc or anything.   and i've kept up with sight and hear.  infact when reading, i saw the same info hear and at sight when sight was opened.   yet that was sometime in june.   i'd like to know is there more or something we can look forward to?   or is this a destroyed project.   i'm so ready to see this creation, etc.   ready to hear pricing, and hear some demos etc.   but from the looks and sounds of it and what i'm learning, it doesn't look like that is gona happen.

2015-11-26 07:43:25

Can I hear a example audio file of this device in action please? If you have any Email me hear on the forum.

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2015-12-02 22:30:07

Hello. I enjoy handheld games as well.  Is this console  going to be for the iPhone? Because I have a certain game in mind that should go with it. And audio version of the popular game puzzle and dragons. Where we can drag certain pieces together to make combinations.  I've actually seen a couple of Playthru's and I actually think that blind people can drag-and-drop pieces with the help of voiceover.  Voiceover would describe the colors and then all we would have to do is drag and drop the colors together. Making a combination.

2015-12-03 00:36:45

This console isn't for the iphone, but that's a good idea for a game as well as an iphone game.

2016-01-02 17:47:58

Also it would be cool to have a legend of Zelda game that would work with it as well. I've always wanted to see what the legend of Zelda game would be like with descriptions and objectives. Kind of like how they made super Mario Brothers the audio addition,  and sonic the hedgehog

2016-02-05 05:59:49

Hello!

This really does sound like a project that I am most interested in. All posts on what audio games should be are really good, and I seriously can't wait to see this thing released! I'd get one, for sure!

2016-02-05 06:12:28

Hi all.
Well it looks like the project is gone.
A message now is on the site stating that a website is not in the best interest of the project right now but indicates the project still continues.
However with this in mind there are only 3 possibilities open to us.
1.  while they had hopes, a major setback happened, something major finantial or system related.
One thing's for sure they are not ready to go live and probably won't be for some time.
2.  For whatever reason the project is offline for some sort of delay maybe there is a problem.
However its most likely as with all audiogame ventures released by those that have good intentions but are to quick off the mark.
This project is basically gone folks.
And so comes the end of another console for blinks.
To be honest I think if you got a standard computer with a linux distro on it as an os or windows iot or even a raspberry pie you could make a console for that.
but even so, I think this is gone, the origional poster has not posted in ages, lets close this topic, delete it and move on.

2016-02-05 17:34:56

Hello
I thought something had been released, becouse this topic is on the new releases room.
however, when entering the site, a message appears that is closed to me.
also I saw that the author of this topic does not comment since 8 months.
so I think the project was abandoned.
I hope I'm wrong.
greetings and thanks.

sorry my english, is not my native language.

2016-02-05 19:21:47

I hope so too. It looked promising