2015-05-22 07:11:47

Heyas there folks. Was hoping to get some help here before I go crazy. I recently just updated to the latest version of Skype, and as soon as I did, my connection to Facebook through Skype was broken. I don't even see the Facebook contacts tab any more. But now, here's the weird thing. I can hear Facebook contacts signing in and out, and I can see those same Facebook contacts in Skype home. However, as far as the actual contact list in Skype is concerned, they're not there.

Before anyone asks, I've tried reinstalling Skype, and even went so far as to completely delete all traces of the program I could find in my C drive before doing so. Nothing helped. Any thoughts on what to do in order to fix this? Alternatively, can someone suggest an accessible IM client that offers Facebook support? Now that AIM discontinued Facebook chat support, Skype was my only choice, short of the main Facebook chat feature itself. Now that's broken I'm not sure what to do...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best, Albano.

I am Locutus of Borg. Resistance, is futile. Your life, as it has been, is over. From this time forward, you will service---us.

2015-05-22 08:08:54 (edited by queenslight 2015-05-24 23:48:53)

The Demize Of FB Clients

Sadly, you aren't going to have many alternatives for FB Chat much longer, besides Social-Eyes on Windows, or using the Bitlbee IRC gateway. Keep in mind, the FB XMPP Chat functionality is for the most part, "gone!"

You have "2" "main" options:

1. Check out the "all-new" Facebook Web Messenger interface, and give it a spin! (Tab and shift-tab at least with Chromevox, reads messages in chats automagicly.)
2. Here's the  List Of FB Keyboard Shortcuts , which include FB Chat/Messenger Ones.

A Quick Tip

You are now able to "voice" and/or "video" with an FB contact from either a mobile to web stream, or web to mobile stream, without problems.

You can "try" and give Skype For Web a shot, though make sure your computer and browser is "supported." (Microsoft Outlook or Skype Required.)

Wrapping Up

I wish there was more I could say, but only other option, besides the ones I listed above, is of course the "Mobile" site.

2015-05-22 08:17:20

It is pretty disappointing that they're slowly killing off all external support for their chat feature. What truly confounds me, however, is Skype's behavior. It's connected to Facebook, and acknowledges its existence, up to and including receiving messages from Facebook contacts. But the contacts themselves don't appear in my contacts list. It's truly infuriating.

I am Locutus of Borg. Resistance, is futile. Your life, as it has been, is over. From this time forward, you will service---us.

2015-05-22 08:32:44

There should be there an all contact menu, or a menu which let's you choose which contacts to be appeared in your Skype contacts list.
I think you should select all contact associated with Skype to be shown, like those from Facebook, and then check if they show up there, if they do not, then I suppose you should remove your facebook association with Skype, and sign in to your facebook using skype again.

This is very frustrating, I suffered from a similar problem until I completely removed facebook contacts from there.
Alternatively, you could use touch.facebook.com
It's far better than m.facebook.com
If you use it through Mozilla firefox, than it should be easy to interact with it.
I have a version of aim, probably 7.0, or 7.5 which still supports facebook contacts. If you'd like, I could upload it somewhere.

Hope I could help you somewhat.

2015-05-22 08:35:21

Wait wait... Your AIM still supports Facebook chat? Mine did so until mid April, then it completely stopped working. Miranda NG actually sounds like just what I need, however I can't figure out how to work reliably with Jaws. The contact list works nicely, but when I get into a chat window I just see unlabeled edit fields and unlabeled buttons. Any accessibility tips there?

2015-05-22 11:47:26

That is an old version of aim, and the last time I tried it, it crashed on my PC and I removed it, also it made the jaws crash.
I'm not sure if it crashes while using jaws 16 though.
I honestly haven't ever used Miranda so can't really help about it.
If you want to stop that Skype dialog regarding facebook friends like:
Alert. john went offline and came online, just select Skype contacts only to be shown and it'll be fine I guess.
So far I don't really see the point of using Skype talking or scripts. If you use jaws, it's fairly accessible.

2015-05-24 03:37:55 (edited by Socheat 2015-05-24 03:38:50)

Well, I've upgraded to Skype 7.4, when a face book contact online, it would appears on my contact combine with my Skype contacts. there is a different between Skype contacts and facebook contacts. when you navigate on the contacts list, if you encountered a facebook contact online, it will tell you the name of your friend, and it says facebook contact online at the end.

If it didn't helps, the alternative client to use with fb that I can recommend is instantbird. and you can get a copy of this client at: www.instantbird.com

hth

2015-05-24 04:42:10

Well, as of yesterday, I started using Miranda NG. It took me some time to figure it out, and I still only know the basics, but it's really a beautiful client overall. And it actually handles Facebook chat way more efficiently than Skype. My favorite feature is that you can send a message to someone even when they sign out. This is something you can't do while chatting with an fb friend through Skype.

2015-05-24 04:48:56

and just a note: instantbird is sibling with Mozilla firefox

2015-05-24 13:05:10

Hello,
@trenton: the link you provided only links to a keyboard shortcuts group and I can't find the list of the facebook shortcuts there.

2015-05-24 23:51:32

Hi there,
Facebook Keyboard Shortcuts link in post 2, updated and fixed, now poiting to the "actual" facebook help center for the keyboard section.

2015-05-31 03:22:49

hi,

I've just started using Miranda ng today, but it is not accessible with jfw. does anyone have a script for it?

2015-05-31 05:10:54 (edited by queenslight 2015-08-16 14:26:59)

For those who haven't seen this Microsoft News article, have a look over here , thus in short, the only good that  a Facebook connection with Skype is good for now, is adding FB folks  to your contacts, and knowing when they come offline/go online. Or, um, that doesn't saound right...

As for Miranda, your best best it to either use NVDA, or Window-Eyes with Steven Clower's Miranda IM App, which works with Miranda NG as well.

As for Jaws though, the below scripts were only made for the Miranda 7 series:
http://www.blind-geek-zone.net/Data/mir … 0setup.exe

2015-05-31 07:24:27

I've said that in a previous post. but adding your facebook contacts to Skype must be something you should think twice of.
If you're willing to do that, keep in mind that a lot of your friends will come and go offline once a two seconds and everything will become extraordinarily frustrating. That is frustrating because Skype will alert you for everyone who comes and goes offline in case you use Skype talking or Skype scripts, though I don't see any reason why to use them. Skype is accessible enough. Just turn on accessibility mode and everything will be fine.

Seriously I remember when I was skyping with my friend and I heard his Jaws all the time saying, Skype alert. John is online. . Skype alert. John went offline.

That is not a good thing, is it?

2015-05-31 09:46:40 (edited by Socheat 2015-05-31 09:47:29)

Yeah, But if you don't use Skype talking, that alerts thingy doesn't read much. smile

2015-06-03 13:53:43

hey
can someone share the miranda thing? nevermind I use nvda.
and I never had accessibility ishues.

no matter what you do, alwais, ghosts will be there. Demonic spirits waiting for you. Charlie Charlie are you here? suddenly, charlie appears with a knife. He killed me! charlie charlie are you here? tell me if it's yes. Are you gonna persew me or you're leaving me in peaze? oh my gosh charlie is indeed here! he's about to kill me!
:D

2015-08-16 10:33:31

@trenton, the link in post 14 doesn't work unfortunetly

2015-08-16 14:58:45 (edited by queenslight 2015-08-16 15:07:26)

Don't ya like it when links  are broken?
Link in post 14 updated.

Now, as of the latest Miranda NG dev alpha for 32 bit and 64 bit , if you choose MSN as a protocol,it now uses a Skype For Web Gateway thing. Log in with your Microsoft account, and you should be  able to chat with your skype contacts without needing the Skype client. Unsure if audiovideo is supported, though most likely not.

And of course, facebook messenger works alongside MSN using Miranda, though its of course "seperate."