2015-05-18 23:50:39

Hi.

Just for a bit of fun for anyone inclined to rhyming, and because I happen to think this custom is rather cool, how about people have a go at describing themselves via identification rhyme.
This was a custom I found out about when looking up information on Alfred Bester's book "the stars my destination" (alternately titled Tiger Tiger).

You can read about them Here

But basically it's a four line rhyming poem with name, dwelling place and destination, they were popular in the 18th and 19th centuries in America, (apparently they existed in England as well though I've not come across them previously).

So one example might be

Everytown is my dwelling-place,
America is my nation,
John Smith is my name,
And Christ is my salvation.

the one used in Bester's novel reads:

Gully Foyle is my name,
and Terra is my nation,
deep space is my dwelling place,
the stars my destination.

My own goes:

My name is Dark light's younger son,
An ivory tower my home,
I live within a dream of stars,
I journey on alone.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-05-20 16:43:09

here goes nothing:
Chandu is my name,
I do live in India fame,
The famous Kerala is my state,
and my life's right now a full plate.

friends:
come and join my
facebook group!

2015-05-20 18:53:53

My name is Stevie-3
Hailing from the US of A
I'm at my best when being me,
I aim to make it big one day.

Maybe slightly cheesy, my first cup of coffee hasn't fully circulated my blood stream yet lol.

Stevie-3

2015-05-20 19:21:39

Lol! glad people like.

From the examples I've found, only the 2nd and 4th lines need to actually rhyme I think.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-05-21 03:00:27

This was fun. I don't subscribe to your hard and fast 2/4 rhymeing scheme. I rebell! Prepare for slant rhymes. This is going to be a cool thread.

Legions struggle for my name,
Not my first, and not the norm.
A common name, but spelling's off,
My middle name has letters four.

Colorado is my chosen home
of burning air and dancing snow.
Far from twang, from buttered grits,
I miss fried chicken on the stove.

Gamer, bassist, dreamer fine,
I love my dog and the man who's mine.
Carved out by my unsteady hand,
a life in daddy's native land.

(Cala)

Sugar and spice, and everything ....

2015-05-21 18:33:33

Nice ones guys! this is very fun.
This one is going to be a bit long, haha. Hope you enjoy anyway.

Steven D, is my name,
I create, and play audio games,
From S Quad Racing to Flamity Flame,
Programming is where I find my fame.
But I love to blog, and I love to write,
jotting down thoughts, day and night,
Whether it's writing a song, or a story of fright,
Til the inspiration's a gone, I continue to write.

I've lived a good long 16 years,
Tornadoes are my biggest fear,
I cannot see but I certainly can hear,
ignorant sighted people I prefer not to be near.

The state of Texas, is where I dwell,
where the weather can be severe, or hot as hell,
And though I don't have much, of a story to tell,
the life I live, is good and swell.

Hope you enjoyed it.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-05-22 07:26:09

Well technically I do believe the thing is supposed to be four lines, like technically a haiku is supposed to be five, then seven then five syllables, but hay! As long as people have fun.

2015-05-22 12:38:37 (edited by afrim 2015-05-22 12:42:52)

Hi there
Since tomorrow I have my first final English exam, I'm trying to write something about myself. Although it may not be perfect.
Tell me what you think smile

My name is Afrim and Albania is my place,
I love to listen to music, especially on a good bass.
I also love English, England tend to be my second home,
English is the only language, where I can be off-shown.
I love to be honest, never intend to deceit,
Success is my own, when I'm on my feet.
Friends for me are everything, they certainly mean a lot,
Friends are the only ones by whom I want not to be fraud.

This is all, hope you guys like it.

2015-05-22 15:43:35

@dark haha. But I guess when you create a topic like this you never know what to expect. big_smile big_smile

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-05-24 04:08:52

With a cage for every soul, I coil between the folds of infinity,
I symbolize all life's destination,
A tentacle for every spirit; a cthulhuloid monstrosity,
My name is looming torment; your Inevitable nullification.

Go, balloons. I don't see anything happening. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Stand by, confetti. Keep coming, balloons. More balloons. Bring them. Balloons, balloons, balloons! More balloons. Tons of them. Bring them down. Let them all come. No confetti. No confetti yet. No confetti. All right. Go, balloons.

2015-05-24 14:07:05

Mmmm, I'm not sure if that is an identification rhyme there Soul keeper or a job description for the goat with a thousand young, but I like! does it bare any relation to you personally? or then again I probably don't want you to answer that big_smile.

Btw, my own comment "light's younger son" above is a play upon my other name.

2015-05-24 18:43:54

Probably not to me, just the persona I've developed around the name "soul keeper" which is, admittedly, very Lovecraftian in nature. I've actually never gotten to write anything with Soul Keeper in it, but I will some day, and that's just the general idea behind what it is. Honestly it would tie in pretty great with what I've been thinking of writing for the last month or so... if only I could find a way to fit all the ideas into a story frame. It's actually been a while since I've written anything short and poem-like. Thanks, and I'm glad you like it.

Go, balloons. I don't see anything happening. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Stand by, confetti. Keep coming, balloons. More balloons. Bring them. Balloons, balloons, balloons! More balloons. Tons of them. Bring them down. Let them all come. No confetti. No confetti yet. No confetti. All right. Go, balloons.