2015-05-20 07:32:40 (edited by turtlepower17 2015-05-20 10:03:41)

Hi,
I wasn't exactly sure where to put this, because it's kind of game related, but probably isn't really. So I thought I'd err on the side of caution and put it here.

So today, I installed Com 0 Com to get Talking Dosbox working. Everything was going well. I finally got it to work, when Jaws and Flipper wouldn't work at all.
Then, a few hours later, I tried to launch Road to Rage. Instead of opening, it just sat there. When I opened my task manager, I saw a TRTR.exe process, but I also saw something I've never seen before. It was something like Acatel_SRV.exe. It took up a ton of processor power and RAM.
My friend assures me that when he launches RTR, no such process appears in his task manager.
My computer responded very sluggishly while these two processes were open. For as long as I've had this PC, about 3 years, I've never heard the fan run as hard as it was doing at that point. So I knew something was very wrong. As soon as the Acapella process was killed, the fan speed dropped back to normal, which, in my computer's case, is barely audible.
Oh yeah, I googled the process, and according to a couple of process library sites, it's an Acapella process. But it sure is behaving oddly for a legitimate application.
I don't know what's causing this, but I can say that I didn't install or uninstall any other programs besides Com 0 Com before this problem occurred. I played Road to Rage this morning, and it worked fine. This was before I installed that.
What could be the problem? Anything that's implanting unknown processes in my task manager that cause my computer to go crazy is not OK in my book. Yet, I don't want to uninstall Com 0 Com if I don't have to, because the DOS games are cool, and I've wanted to play them in a dedicated environment for years.
Besides, I highly doubt uninstalling Com 0 Com is a simple process. It installed device drivers, and has its own subsection in device manager now. So I have a feeling it's entangled with core components of Windows at this point.

I have a Windows 7 professional, 32 bit system at the moment.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.