2015-05-16 05:35:14

Well I was having one of my routine pokes around google for webgames etc and ran into something nasty, lots of alerts from AVG and shenanigans with processes running, so I ran several avg scans, (for both rootkits and viruses generally), but though it court some, I was still having gnarly things happening including warnings about addware.

So, I went to whitestic.co.uupk's downloads page and tried out malwarebytes, who's  homepage is Here sinse I do recall people on this forum finding it useful in the past, and sure enough, nasties go bye bye, indeed Malwarebytes claimed slightly more nasties than Avg did, so possibly I had a lirking gremlin or two.

So, about Malwarebytes. I've been looking for a decent antivirus alternative, sinse from avg 2013 versions won't work on Xp (or at least they won't and leave a reasonable amount of ram), and furthermore where as in 2013 I bought the older version (which is still being updated), Avg sacked their decent customer care line and now there is no way to actually buy the new version because their tech and customer support are useless! Indeed, I'm sorry to say it looks like they outsourced to India and then proceeded to give all employees a bare minimum level of training (including in speaking English coherently).

So, if Malwarebytes will do viruses I'd be very happy as it looks like a nice replacement for Avg, indeed so would my mum who is in a similar fix.

if not and it's just specifically spyware and such, fare enough, I'll see about an alternative, even if that alternative involves hitting avg with a very big stick until they actually do their job as they should and sell me a working version of their bloody program which they're still supporting anyway! (hay, the address for the local Uk offices is where my parents live so I might just go down there and be inconvenient at them).

Still Malwarebytes does seem more complete even if it doesn't have things like the firewall and link scanner, plus it is cheaper big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-05-16 08:56:54

Hi.
@dark.

I'm not sure about malware bites, but for a very accessible virus protector, try vipre. You can find the homepage here. www.vipreantivirus.com/

I'm gone for real :)

2015-05-16 09:52:42

Hi Dark,
well, Avast is not so accessible at the moment, but have you tried avast? the protection is very good alternative to AVG one.
This is just a recommendation. big_smile
Cheers

2015-05-16 10:22:27

Mmmm, socheat, why would I want an antivirus that wasn't accessible?  Last time I bought a new laptop a couple of years ago, it had the free version of avast on it and the access was horrible, heck I barely knew if I had any viruses sinse I couldn't read the bloody messages, so I consider avast useless.

Avg internet security (which is a bit more extensive than the bog standard antivirus), has worked well for me for years in terms of clearning viruses and other nasties even if it didn't seem to work with this particular addware, and  their pc tuneup program which does defrags, registry fixes etc, it's just annoying the version conflict with xp and the fact I can't get them to actually sell me a working version even  though it's still very much being supported.

That is why I am interested in Malware bytes, particularly sinse it got rid of that annoying addware very well, indeed even if it does not do viruses I might keep it as a spyware and addware protector even if I get another antivirus later.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-05-16 21:27:50

Hello,
I hate to bring this up again, but if your concerned about security, simply do not use windows XP.
There are certain things at the core of an operating system which an antivirus simply can not fix, an antivirus can´t change everything.

If you want more info, just read this review.
http://www.howtogeek.com/77788/online-s … or-good-2/
Notice that this review was written about 3 years ago, so realize that Microsoft has now completely stopped releasing critical! security updates to windows xp as well.
I would really considder getting windows 7, or even windows 8.1 if I were you, there much more secure, and you'll have to upgrade sometime.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2015-05-16 23:21:04

I agree with roelvdwal
but with one qualification.

Getting off XP is good advice, but if you *must* continue to use XP for any reason I highly recommend  only using it inside a VM with lock down security.

Ideally Windows XP should only play inside the VM, and all potentially leaking VM features like folder sharing should be disabled, and the virtual OS should be set to nonpersistent so that everything is reset after each restart.

m

2015-05-16 23:38:28

That might be an option, but I expect that learning how to navigate in windows 7/8.1 takes less time than setting up a vm for someone who probably hasn't done that before.
And plus, vms tend to have high audio latency, I tried gaming on one but it wasn't any good.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2015-05-17 06:47:40

If I wanted microsoft's sales pitch I'd go to their site. can someone please answer my question rather than just giving me the usual superlatives (I hope microsoft pay this security bogyman, he's doing a better job than all their other advertisers combined).

2015-05-17 10:27:12

Hi dark, unfortunately I gave you an answer to your question.

The viruses probably got in your computer because you are using windows xp in the first place.

Just to quote an article:

"Again, unless you happen to be a government institution that still uses XP for a very specific reason, you need to STOP USING WINDOWS XP. I cannot stress this enough. It's not just that the operating system is old and that there are security issues. It's not just that Microsoft has released three successors to XP. It's not just that new machines are more powerful, have better battery life or power efficiency, and are less expensive than ever before. It's that

Windows XP is not safe to use
Windows XP is not safe to use.
Because XP is so old — and popular — its flaws are better known than most operating systems. Hackers have targeted Windows XP with aplomb for years — and that was while Microsoft was providing security patch support. Without that support, users are vulnerable.
So regardless of the reasons you're still using XP, start preparing to move to a new operating system right now."

This isn't the Microsoft. sails department. Do one search for windows xp security and you will find these articles, most of them not even written by Microsoft.
So windows xp and lack of security really are the same thing. I don't know when you'll be upgrading, but you could do it now before things go horribly wrong or after things go wrong when you don't have a working pc and passwords are stolen etc.
I'm sorry if I'm sounding harsh, but it's just the sad reality

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2015-05-17 11:32:53

Thank you roelvdwal that was a very unhelpful answer to my question about malware bytes, particularly sinse as I said earlier malware bytes did get rid of said virus anyway.

if I want lots of superlatives I'll look in a dictionary. If I want a useful computer that does what I want I'll continue with a system I like, and sinse microsoft haven't provided me a decent     alternative in interface or compatibility that is Xp, ---- hell why they didn't just write a better xp, rather than all this incompatible new crap with it's stupid interfaces I don't know.

Yes, new machines may have more computery wootery and big numbers of this that and the other, but I really couldn't care less, sinse that really isn't a replacement for running all the stuff I want to run and doing the stuff I want to do easily. When there is actually a real practical bennifit to using one of these cruddy new systems with their bloody stupid interfaces and having the devil's own time to run all my old software, I'll do so then, but that time isn't now and in the mean time hurling a bunch of superlatives at me "more powerful", "more secure" really won't help much, particularly when I'm just looking for a streight answer to a question about an antivirus program.

2015-05-17 11:58:02

@dark.

I'd recommend giving vipre a go, it's very accessible for your virus catching needs. Also it can run in the background so you don't even have to do anything. It's very customisable too.

I'm gone for real :)

2015-05-17 11:59:39

To answer your questions, malwarebytes doesn't check for viruses, just malware.

Sadly, there's no good anti-virus anymore. The ones that have a decent detection engine are inaccessible, while the ones that are accessible not only have poor detection rates but also impact your computer's resources, something you're a lot more likely to feel on an older system with XP. I personally don't use any anti-virus. On Windows 8+ I keep windows defender on which seems to do an OK job, but I mostly rely onn common sense, and if I'm ever unsure of a file I scan it with virustotal which runs a scan with 60 different AV's and tells you the result. I also do this on my XP desktop that I have for gaming, but only because I use firefox which is still getting security patches.
As annoyed as you are with what people are saying, I somewhat need to also suggest you upgrade. Normally, I would say switch web browsers and you'd be good, but Dolphin doesn't seem to care about firefox for a few years now so your screen reader is limiting you to IE 8, which, just like Xp isn't getting patched. And saying that all you do is the occasional google, browser game and email with it isn't an argument that you'll be safe, because a lot of browser infections get in via ads. Even google doesn't check for these and as a result many perfectly harmless sites can cripple your system. Once AVG warns you something's up, well, it's too late because something just exploited some low level IE vournollability, probably got administrator access and installed something.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2015-05-17 13:41:07

@Dark, to answer your question specifically about Malwarebytes no it does not do antivirus. It is mainly a tool for finding and removing spyware, adware, and other non-virus forms of malware. So for that reason I would highly recommend it in addition to any antivirus protection one has on their computer.

As for antivirus that is something of a catch 22 these days. As already been said finding good antivirus software, especially if one is a screen reader user, is highly problematic.

A lot of the well known antivirus programs Norton, Micafee, Avast, etc simply are not accessible. Regardless of how good or bad they are it is pretty much useless to us if we can't access it.
Others like Microsoft's Security Essentials is fully accessible but comes with its own problems. One its protection is so/so. It is definitely better than none, but I've read is not as good as some other antivirus solutions. In any case accessibility aside MSE only runs on modern versions of Windows so isn't even an option for someone running XP which can be a problem as well.

So I'm not really sure what to recommend since I have been looking at antivirus solutions for a while and haven't found I would prefer myself let alone recommend it for other VI users. So you might have to deal with AVG for a while until a good alternative appears.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2015-05-17 15:59:15

Interesting, I read someplace that mse would be supported on windows xp till July this year.
Regarding myself, I use microsoft security essentials myself, but I´m looking for a better alternative but haven´t found something that really works.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2015-05-17 16:08:14

Regarding your question dark, I misunderstood, sorry

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2015-05-17 16:41:58

hi,
Agreed with peter.  The only halfway decent and accessible antivirus is avast with self-defense disabled.  Everything else is imo iether inaccessible or crap e.g microsoft  security essentials or windows defender on windows 8 both of which are the same product.  Also tward, saying that microsoft security essentials has so and so detection/protection is a dramatic understatement imo.  Microsoft security essentials  has consistently ranked last in detection since 2012.  Look at the following article for latest test.
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/microsoft-b … 20703.html
on another note, I wish avira would fix their warning popups so I could go back to using avira again.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2015-05-17 21:57:24

Thanks for the various answers. I did suspect Malrware Bytes wasn't a full antivirus just from it's name and properties, but I agree that it would still be useful.
security is a concern (though not to the paranoid levels I've seen some people take it too), which is why I would like a working antivirus and system. Avg is actually very accessible, at least the last varients I've seen of it have been, it is just irritating that even though they are still supporting and updating older versions they utterly reffuse to sell me one, ---- great business model there, not selling to customers! big_smile.

if I can't get avg fixed when my license runs out later this year I'll look at vipre sinse even something is better than nothing antivirus wise.

2015-05-17 22:16:41

There is a difference between selling and supporting a product. Look at any other hardware, say, an iPhone 4S. Apple still released iOS 8 for it, and if your iPhone breaks, you can have it repaired by them. However, they no longer sell it in the apple store or with any carrier, at least in most countries. So, my guess is that what AVG means by support is that 2013 is still getting definition updates for people who bought licenses, but it's not something that can still be purchased. Dropping XP support in 2014 is understandable, Microsoft stopped support in April and this is the point where many large developers stopped supporting it also. AVG should have been a lot more clear on this and I really can't blaim you for getting confused.

While typing up this post I started thinking which AV's exactly have XP support, and for how long. This site was the first hit and the one bad thing I found here, at least for you, is that vipper dropped XP last month so it's no longer an option.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2015-05-17 22:19:21

Malware bytes doesn't really do viruses. You really really really really really need to get off XP, its really unsafe to be using, windows 7 is a fair step up and its not all crubbly like windows 8.1 is with its metro UI. XP is really not safe at all and now support is ended for it, its really unsafe and unless you get off it you'll keep getting bombed and you will probably lose important stuff at some point or another.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2015-05-17 22:28:10

If you want dark, I'd be willing to help you reinstall windows 7 on your pc. I've done this several times remotely, so if you want to upgrade but don't want to, don't hesitate to ask me.

btw, the interface in windows 7 really isn't that bad. It's been a while since I used xp, so I don't remember all of xp, but the only thing that has really changed is the start menu, and now that I've gotten used to it I like it a lot more than the windows xp one. For example, I just type in "play", and then press enter and topspeed 3 opens. on my old machine full of programs and garbage, I had to go to programs with p, hit p about 10-15 times, then expand etc.

That said, you can always use classic shell and bring the windows xp start menu back.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2015-05-18 18:49:51

I personally agree that upgrading your O S is the best option here. Even windows 7 can get virused up and it's not hard to do, so it's pretty clear that xp is... extremely vulnerable. I agree that having to upgrad the OS is extremely absurd, it's basically like these companies taking more and more and more money because they know you use their products so want to force you to upgrade. But it's necessary, that's all I can say. because if whatever antivirus or defender you use is supported now, give it a year or two, it won't be.
  Now I'm not telling you what to do here, I'm just trying to let you know, as others have, that this is really the best option.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support