2008-05-15 22:00:23

I am going to have a wireless card put in to my desktop. How would this affect, JFW, the GMA games, judgement day, and sara? Will I have to ask for new keys? What hardware does these depend on? I would perfer the develipers of the games I manchan to chip in if they can. If the only hardware that everything depend on is the mother bord, then I'm ok. I might have an answer by tomorrow. I would like to be awear of any problems and the best way of fixing them. JFW should be the easyest followed by the games. I hate DRM.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-05-16 01:04:38

To the best of my knowledge the code Windows uses doesn't rely on network adapters, that would be silly. I did hear it used in XP things like hard disk controller and so on, this being part of the motherboard, and apparently graphics card.

If Windows doesn't pay attention to network adapters I highly doubt games will.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-05-16 14:46:29

I'm going over to pick it up today so we'll see for sure. I've got a funny feeling that they plugged it into the mother board, but still... Will that make a difference? The desktop is at my house in TN and I'm visiting folks in AL. The only thing I lack here, is the desktop. So wile it was there I ask someone if they could come up with a wireless card for it.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-05-17 01:23:11

"Plugged into the motherboard" just means fitted internally, there is no other way to have an internal wireless card on a desktop really. The only other option would be to plug it in your USGB port, in which case you would just need to buy the adapter and would attach it yourself as you would something like a scanner or printer.

Internal is most convenient if you plan to use your desktop as a permanantly connected wireless device.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-05-17 19:10:15

i don't think you should have any trouble with any programs. if you were updateing ram jaws might not like it, but i don't know about wireless cards

rat the star trek guy

2008-05-17 20:18:44

Actually ram should be fine too, no reason it shouldn't be. That's one of the most common upgrades for a computer for something like the past 10 years. Wow I feel old.

On the other hand if you ever had call to change your graphics card you will have to repair your Jaws install, since the graphics interceptor will be thrown out. I'm talking from personal experience there. Not hard if you prepare for it, just annoying if it takes you by surprise. In these cases NVDA is your best friend.

cx2
-----

2008-05-18 03:48:36

Well, the one who said that they would put a wireless card in to my system felled to do so. I even asked if they wouldn't habd ne a USB one. Come to find out, the reason wy they didn't get around to it was do to the fact that they misplaced their wireless cards. Oh well, I'll just have a USB one shipped to my location.

DropBox Referral

2008-05-19 22:28:09

CX2, in regards to your message about JAWS and graphics cards and activation, wonder why it's based on hardware. I mean, you activated it once so then if you replace a graphic card you need to reactivate? That seems stupid. In any product.

2008-05-19 23:48:32

Andy, it is not activation. Changing a graphics card usually requires changing your graphics drivers, which makes issues with the graphics interceptor not working.

On the other hand I know Windows allegedly used graphics cards as one of its things it kept track of, but it allowed you to change 3 things in a given time frame without throwing a wobbler. Depending on how Jaws handles activation though you should be fine, I only changed my graphics card while I used the old quella authorisation system.

cx2
-----