2015-05-10 09:51:39

hey, is that Ok, if I don't trash my weapons?

2015-05-10 13:10:48

How do I make my other char to trust me?

2015-05-10 15:39:02

Hello,
This is my final point on this, I definitely agree that audiogame developers do need to be treated with a bit more respect. I made the Skullgirls points to give people a sort of comparison, but that's not how I feel about the developers. I actually feel that they are really putting what they have to good use and creating something cool with it, but as this is the first version there are bound to be bugs and such. I actually like this game for what it is, and am glad that I have paid for it. It might take some time for updates to come out, but I'll happily wait. As I've said before, this is not a mainstream development team, this is part of the audiogaming scene, a two-man team from that small scene. The japanese audiogames are in a league of their own and I think we are very lucky to even have games like that. Most developers can not reach that level, as it takes a lot and I do mean a lot of time, look at Angelgift, that game took four years because we were finding actors and sounds to bring it to life.

2015-05-10 17:01:29

people who wants to play complicated strategy or rol playing games shouldn't play this game. you can't compare audio with mainstream games. newer mainstream games are dificult to play then elder because there to much things in it. old games especialy fighting games were easyer to play because you can memorise the menues. especialy elder people who are grown up with this games are more happy with this sidescroller I think.

2015-05-10 18:21:02

@Aaron, you bring up an interesting point that I have been wondering about of late.  Why is it that the Japanese audiogames seem to be in a superior league over the Western audiogames?  I mean, it's not like these Japanese games are put out by major companies with hundreds or thousands of developers.  As far as I know, BK3 was coded by one individual (I may be wrong on that, so if I am, I apologize).  As far as I know, the Japanese games are developed by teams just as small as the Western ones, if not done solo.  Add to that the fact that every Japanese title I have seen as an audiogame has been totally free, and I am stumped.  Small development teams, or solo development, and they're not even paid for, yet their quality is superior.  Why is that?  I'm not saying that the Western market hasn't put out some good titles, because they have.  This particular game, Psycho Strike, is actually done well in my opinion, and has some huge potential going forward.  But overall, I think you said it best.  The Japanese ones are in a different league.  So I am curious why a developer is able to put out such a high quality game for free, when Western developers have so much difficulty putting out games of that quality, even when their titles are paid ones?  I mean no disrespect here, I am merely curious.

2015-05-10 19:03:20

Hey
When I hear the loading music in the begining when Philip says: loading, please wait. I always wishes it to load slower to hear the whole music, please don't load, please, ok load but slower, I'd like to hear the whole music big_smile.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2015-05-10 22:38:48

There could be several reasons. This is just a guess, but I think the main reason for this is Japanese have higher expectations for their projects. when they develop something, they go into it with the mindset, I'm gonna make the coolest, longest, awesome game I can think of with dozens of levels and a cool story, and it'll be better than any of my previous games. But overhere, months before games are released, you read the descriptions, and you see something like, "this game will contain 10 action pumped levels and will cost 30 dollars". Maybe they got it easier in Japan, perhaps their economy is stronger and they don't need to rush games out to make a few bucks, I dunno, all I know is that based on the Japanese games I've played, they put a lot more love into their projects than American devs. Here we have tons of projects that either never see the light of day, or are underwhelming in their offerings. Let's take BK3 as a Japanese example since that game's totally awesome: some time back, when BK3 was still relatively new, Yukio posted a message in the forum mentioning he'd be willing to come out with a game that costs a few bucks, but that this game would be fully translated into English with professional acting. Which means he was already thinking of a way to outdo himself on his next project, just like he did for his previous games. This isn't something you usually see devs do over here. they will release a side scroller, then 2 years later, release, another side scroller with new weapons, but if you take a closer look at it, it's essentially a mod. Same game for the most part, new sounds. There's 0 innovation in that. Perhaps this is the reason I'm so frustrated with this game, I hadn't purchased an audio game in years for this reason, and when I read Psycho's description, I went finally! an awesome high quality game. only to be disappointed in what I got. again! ugh, how many times must this go on? Parralous hearts had incredible potential, and I tackled this game thinking it'd be a similar experience, which was totally my fault. If I offended anyone, I apologize for that, but it's so hard not to get frustrated when you see so little progress after so many years. On the other hand, we see all these indie video game dev teams of similar size to ours create masterpieces. it's not a community problem, stop blaming the fact these are one-man projects. because If Aprone can create Swamp, and Yukio created BK1, 2, and 3, by himself, this obviously means it can be done.

2015-05-10 23:40:03

Especially given that Yukio didn't even charge for BK2 or BK3, both of which I would have gladly paid for.  I never played BK1, so I can't speak to that one.  Shadow Line is also very pleasing, and that, too, is free.  So I am confounded when I see such quality in games coded by one person, games which are completely free.  The most glaring fact is that these games were coded by ONE person, yet the quality is amazing.  Then I compare it to the games created by those in the States.  I just don't get it.  You hear, "Well, it's a one-man development crew."  True, but so is Yukio.  You hear, "Well, finances are an issue."  Maybe, but I seriously doubt that Yukio is drowning in money, just as I doubt the developer of Shadow Line is.  It makes no sense to me.  In fact, if I remember correctly, Yukio was very, very young at the time he coded BK2, a teenager I believe.  So I doubt very seriously he's rich and can afford to spend massive money on development.  Further evidence of that is the fact that he did it all solo.  It is an anathema to me why the same isn't true of the developers in the U.S. as a rule.
IMPORTANT:  The above view is not directly related to psycho Strike or it's development team.  As I previously stated, this game has great potential for future releases.

2015-05-10 23:43:08

Here's an idea, instead of flapping your jaws or fingers, why don't you use that frustration and tackle the game making yourself?
I'm not discounting the fact that a word or two would be nice, but I'm tired of all the moaning and complaining about how this game is meh coming from a peanut gallery of people who don't have any idea what there is to go through.

Let me state what I had said in a previous post, again. There's limitations with any engine you use, and I think we're seeing that here. There's the possibility that due to family commitments, sickness, or he could be burned out and not want to do it. Make your own, or play another game, but beating your head against a wall over and over only hurts your head. And with that, I'm out.

2015-05-11 01:09:17

That's true in the mainstream market as well. If you take a Japanese ersionofagame and then, let's say an American version of the self same game, youoften find that the American version has been dumbed down significantly and also censored. Admittedly some of that has to be done since Japanese pop culture isn't always going to translate well to English.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2015-05-11 01:36:51

@Patjk,

I'm not "banging my head against a wall."  Nor am I speaking of any one game, or one developer.  I am saying that I simply do not understand, and I am curious about why, as a general rule Japanese games tend to be of better quality over those made in the states.  It's not a matter of cost, since every Japanese game I've played has been totally free, yet the quality of sound, gameplay, etc. has been superior to those here.  It's not a matter of the development team not being big enough as so many devs in the states claim, saying that because they're only a solo developer or in a team of two or three they can't do it, since the Japanese ones had only one developer in most cases.  I'm simply curious because all of the claims made by U.S. developers about budget constraints or number of people to work on a project are the same limitations shared by their Japanese counterparts, yet the Japanese games tend to be of superior quality.  As I said before, I doubt very seriously that Yukio, a mere child when he made BK2, was rich, yet his game surpassed anything we had in the states at that time in quality.  And he was the sole developer on that project.  I'm saying that it is rather funny to me that Japanese developers face the same constraints that American ones do in terms of budget and man power, yet they somehow attain better quality.  Being curious about the reasoning of that phenomenon does not mean I'm beating my head against a wall.

2015-05-11 01:41:14

I actually think he was referring to the other complainers in this thread, not so much to your question. I definitely imagine that a lot of people wonder the same thing.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2015-05-11 04:24:45

I, for one, do think that's a perfectly valid and constructive point.
Maybe it's cultural. The Japanese have much higher standards for education than we do here in the US.
However, Phillip isn't from America, and he also started developing games at a young age. So did some of his American counterparts, such as Liam, and now Sam Tupy as well. Personally, I tend to cut young developers a lot of slack when they're teenagers, just because it takes a hell of a lot of patience and intelligence to do any kind of programming, especially when you're a teenager, and patience is often in short supply during adolescence, lol.
But that's kind of straying from the point, since Phillip is obviously an adult now. To be honest, I really don't have any answers. Anything I could offer would be pure conjecture, and I don't feel I know enough about differences between American and Japanese cultures to even try to draw comparisons.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2015-05-11 08:43:55

Perhaps it is because as an adult, you have a job prospect, or at least in theory. And lets face it, there is far more money to be obtained doing a job than developing audiogames. This is not an insult, it's a fact. If you consistently sell 50 to 100 copies every month, then you might be able to compare it to a job. I honestly have no idea how many copies are being sold, but I'm 99% sure it's not 50 to 100 per month for more than a year straight.
Add to that the fact the profits have to be divided among at least two people, and you essentially need to sell double.
I think the issue might very well be the mentality in Japan versus that in other countries though. But I can't really comment on that either because I haven't played any of those Japanese audiogames. Yes, I'm probably the only one on this forum. *runs away and hides in a corner*

2015-05-11 10:36:05

Hi.
I also wish the developers were better to responding to our suggestions. If that continues, the game will be forgotten in a few months. Sorry, just saying.
If the game worked on Windoes xp, a few of my friends here from Denmark, WHO have an old working computer running Windows xp would have bought the game for sure. But now, they have removed the game Again as soon as they realized it won't Work on Windows xp, and hopefully they'll still be interested if this XP issue ever get fixed.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2015-05-11 11:51:45

Hello,
It also interests me. In the japanese games, the sound design is not the best, yet there are a lot of sounds and details, each weapon and such sounds a bit different or even acts different. There are also a lot of 8 bit sounds and bleeps, or sounds that don't sound too flashy. Ye the contnet in the Japanese games is gigantic.
Over here in the west, a lot of games use what I like to call a flashy nature. Let's take, for instance, Perilous Hearts, vs, let's say, Bk. In perilous hearts the music fades in to the level and there is professional narration, which leads me to believe that the full version would have offered professional acting. The soundd design is quite realistic in nature, or at least, like a movie would sound. Yet I hear people say that the gaemplay itself wasn't realistic.
In the Bokurano Daiboukenn series, while the game isn't professionally narrated, the games have this huge file size. Bokurano Daiboukenn 3 was around 390 mb on launch day, and it sort of shows: there must be at least four or five hours of music in that one game. Every level has it's own theme, some are repeated themes from the previous games, and it offers a lot of sound design as well, but it's more like a cartoon. To be honest though, I really like both Perilous Hearts and Bokurano Daiboukenn, but the question is indeed coming to my mind, what causes these games to have so much content. Wy are the weston devs more flashy or movie like, yet the japanese more cartoon like, but even then offer up more content?

2015-05-11 12:50:19

Hi.

I know a lot of people aren't going to agree with me here but that's ok, cause it's just what I want to say.

I'd really really like a refund. Do I understand that games take a long time to code, yes, do I understand that there was voiceacting involved, yes, but I'm not sure how much was charged for the voice actors and actresses. But, and this is just my opinion, the game reminds me of a side scroller with not much to do. After you've gotten over the fact that you're a gangstare who wants to take money and kill people, and have thrown a couple bombs around, the game kind of gets boring.

Do I wish I'd not bought it, yes. And I have this to say, don't by this game. If people can get to my post before having bought the game then I hope they don't make the same mistake I did.

Now you might think that's a bit harsh but think of this; you're living in a country where you don't earn much, and you've just heard of this awesome game and you buy it only to find it unlocks two more levels, which are the same stile of level as before, and the fact that you can level up to 100. Wouldn't you kind of be disappointed too?

I understand there will be, or I hope there will be, updates to this game. but I must admit myself quite disappointed.

As for the difference between Japanese devs and US devs? that's easy, Japanese devs want to make the best they can and want to impress people with there skills. US devs, mostly as far as I can see, want cash. I understand that people have food to get and so on, but if that's the case then why not use your disability money to get that food, bills? well same thing, and make games on the side and make them free? That way no one complains about money issues, no one would complain about acting, and so on. And put a donate button on your site that way people can donate if they feel the game is worth donating too.

Look at devs like Sam tupy, I'm sorry if I've spelt your name wrong. Survive the wild isn't my kind of game, but It's the first of it's kind as far as I know, and is free, not only that but it's quite awesome. Just because I don't like a stile of game does not mean I can't appreciate it's amazing gameplay and the fact that it's free.

I know that many will disagree, but audiogames in my opinion are going down hill quite fast. sure, there's some good ones but those that you have to pay for are, like this game; usually side scrollers.

As for coding myself, no, I can't. I've tried but just don't have the patience for it.

I'm gone for real :)

2015-05-11 18:47:51

@Brad, if you're worried about being disappointed, then your best solution is probably to wait a week or two before buying something and then see how things are going.
That having been said, I do think a clearer list of demo limitations would be nice, since I can agree to an extent that it is a little vague what extra stuff you get in the full version.

2015-05-11 19:26:06

At Brad, I know things are a bit different in the UK, which is why I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt about your comments about disability money and such. But let me explain a few things to you, because I find your flippant attitude to be distasteful, to say the least.
Here in the US, we really don't get that much disability money. It's usually barely enough to live on, unless you're lucky enough to be in subsidized housing, or have a second source of income under the table, which, obviously, you're not supposed to have if you're collecting social security. Even so, subsidized housing is not always the greatest thing in the world, either. There are insanely long waiting lists. This makes perfect sense to me. The apartments are occupied, and nobody wants to give up their security. A friend of mine was on a waiting list for over 3 years before a place was open for him. Some of the complexes are in bad areas, or are not well-maintained.
So let's break this conundrum down, shall we?
1. On average, people get around $700 per month on SSI, which is the disability money, an entitlement, if you will, that you get if you have never worked, and thus paid into the system. This number goes up a bit if you are on SSDI, which is what you are eligible for if you have worked, but lose your job or can no longer work due to disability, etc.
2. The average apartment costs anywhere from $600 to $1000. Depending on where you live, this number could fluctuate quite a lot. And of course there are roommate situations where people split the costs and what not. But for the purposes of this discussion, I'm going to drive the point home by providing worst case scenarios.
3. Let's not even get into mortgage payments on houses. In the first place, it would be very hard to even have enough credit to make such a large purchase. Hell, a blind person who hasn't ever worked will have enough trouble finding a landlord willing to rent a place to them without a cosigner, because of credit issues.
4. Now, let's look at general living expenses. Rent is going to eat up most of your SSI check. If you are providing for just yourself, you can get by, especially if you get food stamps or something to help you pay for grocery expenses. But I've heard of cases, especially nowadays, where you only get about $30 on food stamps. Which, any port in a storm I suppose, but that won't get you very far. Then there are utilities. If you live in subsidized housing, this is usually included in your reduced rent, but anywhere else, it comes out of your own pocket. Plus luxuries that most people in this country don't want to live without, such as internet (which is kinda essential for developing games and getting your name out there), cable, and a cell phone bill.

Now, as I said, I'm quite sure that other people will provide very solid counterarguments for every point I've raised. So be it, if that's the case. I know that there are very wide variations in standards of living for blind folks, and lots of us do just fine. But trust me, disability money is not a be all and end all. There's enough stigma attached to getting it as it is. Most people think it's wrong to accept handouts, no matter how legitimate the reason is.

Please, guys, be a little more mindful of what you're saying. I have no clue what Phillip and Aaron do for a living, if anything. But I can guarantee you they must be at least partially financially well off to produce the high quality of sounds that we got in this game. Should there have been more to it? Yes, I believe we've already established that 17000 times. Beating a dead horse isn't going to change that.
And as for donating, in theory, that is a good idea. I would have donated to a game like this if it had been an option.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2015-05-11 20:21:04 (edited by JLove 2015-05-11 20:30:32)

Interesting points so far.  Again, let's use BK3 as an example.  That game's sounds aren't all professional quality sounds, yet I am amazed by the sheer amount of content and complexity.  I spent many hours playing that game, and I still have yet to complete it.
Arjan, your supposition regarding money, and how it would affect development, is flawed when you consider the following:
1.  The developer of BK3 was at a young age when he coded BK2, slightly older for BK3, but I certainly would tend to believe that he was not rich.  I highly doubt that he had thousands of dollars to throw into game development, sounds, etc.
2.  Despite the lack of money he had to work with in terms of budgeting for his game, he managed to create an amazing title, and let's not forget that he did it 100% solo.  This says to me that it is possible to create a game worth something even when you live on a tight budget, and you have a one or two man development crew.
3.  Despite the fact that his games are some of the best I have ever seen in terms of content and quality, despite the fact that he could easily have charged prices that would rival mainstream games on the market today, (whitch I would have gladly paid), they are available completely free to all.
4.  Shadow Line is yet another example of this.  Solo developer who I am 99% certain is not rich, yet the game is amazing in complexity, content, and overall quality.  And guess what?  Again, despite the fact that he could easily charge mainstream prices, it is available completely free.
5.  You spoke of numbers of copies that are sold.  Did it not occur to you or to the developers in the U.S. that perhaps if they put the same quality and content, showed the same love, for their projects as did the two above examples, copies selling would most definitely not be an issue?  I would be willing to state with a rather large degree of certainty that many people would have gladly paid for the BK titles, and SR as well.
While it is true that the above-referenced games don't have the most professional sounds, I will take quality of gameplay and content over that any day of the week, hands down.  It's hard for me to believe that this doesn't occur to U.S. developers.

2015-05-11 20:38:11

Just a couple of points:

1. If you play a game's demo, then buy the game expecting the gameplay to vastly change, you're being foolish. I bought Paladin of the Sky knowing I was going to get lots more of what the demo provided; you should've bought PsychoStrike (or not, as it happens) based on what you found in the demo. Yes, more details would be good, but even with what you have, you ought to have known whether you would or wouldn't like the game. As such, any financial mistake is yours, and you should not be refunded for this.

2. For those of you with XP (and I'm going to tick some people off here):
Seriously, seriously upgrade your system. XP is now a security risk. It has not been officially supported for at least a couple of years now. You are now more than three full releases behind. I don't care how much you fear the unknown. If you ever want to get a job, be current in the computer world and play games that require newer windows to function, the onus is on you. Developers should not be asked to cater to a handful of gamers who refuse to upgrade. Simple as that.
I'm not saying that unless you have 8.1 you're an idiot. Windows 7, even Vista at a stretch, will do I suppose. But for heaven's sake; I had XP on my computer in freaking 2004. That's old, guys. That's really old in technical circles.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2015-05-11 20:47:58

Jlove nailed everything that I wanted to say, but given that many people here haven't played the Japanese games so cannot speak for the quality, I will certainly agree. though I do disagree that the sounds aren't professional... both games, especially BK 3 have many sounds that are used in other professional projects I've heard. and SR has all the sounds I would expect from a professionally made JRPG from the early 2000s or late 90s.

Discord: clemchowder633

2015-05-11 20:49:37

I honestly must agree with jade here on the XP issue, if nothing else and if possible just upgrade to windows 7... it doesn't change as much as you might think

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2015-05-11 22:10:37

Guys: Regarding to XP, the people I've mentioned can't just buy a new computer or just install Windows 7. They simply don't have the money yet. So they can't just get a new computer whenever they want it or not. So it's not just a matter of upgrating to Windows 7.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2015-05-11 22:37:47

the game don't works on a windows 8.1 system with 64 bit.