2008-05-13 09:49:32

Hi all.

Check this out. This is totally awesome! Have you heard about this before? I have never heard about any blind people speak about it.
portable electronic menus that speak in restaurants.

What do you all think?
http://www.nfbnet.org/pipermail/njabs-t … 00219.html

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2008-05-13 16:35:12

well the most I have gotten is a braille menu at certain restaurants

Connor

2008-05-14 00:53:13

All places to eat must have a braille menu. I mean usually my parents read it, but that's a little... impractical. Everywhere should either have a talking menu or a braille one. a pdf one, a word document, something where you can grab it and be independent.

2008-05-14 01:46:34

Reminds me of a concept in the recent edition of the pen and paper RPG Shadowrun, all communications in the fourth edition is handled by a "commlink" which is a sort of combination mobile/cell phone and PDA with full access to its version of the internet. It's possible to get the menu for anywhere you go on it as you walk in, and it makes me wonder whether some time in the future something like that might happen... and if the device in question has speech or braille output then this would be fantastic.

It would also stop sighted people having to peer at the menu in places like macdonalds, or the staff worrying about menus being moved damaged or lost. They wouldn't even need to print that many menus except for the technophobic fogeys.

Suppose it would take a form of wifi that could either push files to wireless enabled devices (with permission from the device naturally), or else just advertise the file to anyone in range without them having to mess about with finding a network drive. Sort of a publicly available read only wireless FTP server, only one that is available without any set up on the client device.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-05-14 14:42:32

Wow. We don't have braille menus here in Denmark. I wish we had though

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2008-05-15 01:16:02

Saturday at the Boston Visually Impaired and Blind Users Group, I saw/heard a demo of the latest Kurzewil / NFB reading machine.
It's a cell phone.
Takes a picture of what you want to read.
Uses OCR to convert the text to speech.
We read hotel receipts, store coupons, the backs of food packages.
The demonstrator said he'd read wine bottles, but not beer bottles (sounds elitest.)
It was seriously cool.

Suspect it would have no problem with menus.

John Bannick

2008-05-15 05:53:58

True, those things cost an insane amount of money though. Minimum of 4 digit. Unless you can get it justified for part of your job the chances are there isn't any help available to fund them either.

It's the eternal problem, we could find all these things so useful but just can't afford them.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-05-15 18:19:32

I've heard about the KNFB reader as it's called. If I remember correctly, I watched a youtube video about it, and it sounds great! But as you said CX2, it's insanely expensive!

2008-05-16 03:31:26

that's sad that we have to pay so much for things that are really helpful to us funcioning independantly right?
but it all comes down to dollars and cents as us average Americans say

Connor

2008-05-16 14:48:28

That's so true, and I hate it.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-05-16 19:33:34

A question about the expense is thow are we supposed to cover it? Do we use our checks from SSI plus money that we make from a job? I've allways thought that was a very interesting subject.

2008-05-16 21:45:48

I hate it too
my idea is that we need to put our values and what we believe in before dollars in cents, like for example, boycotting the olympics, not only because China has done some very bad things, the pollution in the city where it is being held is attrocious and the stadium that we are that it is being held at is poorly put together so that endangers the safety of the fans and players

sorry for the off topic message

Connor

2008-05-17 01:20:38

For those of us not in the US what is SSI?

I know here in the UK they provide equipment that can be justified as giving you equal access to a job in theory, I mean if you're living on benefits then paying about

cx2
-----

2008-05-17 07:50:05

It's just pathetic that they make things for people with disabilities much more expensive. It's like ok, so we have to work a little harder to put something accessible to the blind in, so they must also pay us lots of money. But if we don't have that, we are the ones who put extra time in doing things that other people can do just fine. And seriously I'm sure most of you will not buy it because of the prices, then, that effectively makes the device useless.

2008-05-17 20:21:38

True it isn't fair on us, but equally we can't expect businesses to run at a loss.

They have to work harder to design the products yes, and they also can't manufacture nearly as many both because of the reduced market and the reduced manufacturing capacity available to them. For example a Pac Mate isn't substantially less complex than a mainstream pocket PC if at all, but yet they're looking at perhaps hundreds of sales not tens of thousands.

cx2
-----

2008-05-18 01:27:53 (edited by CJ 2008-05-18 01:28:34)

its just the way the world works saddly for us

I don't know if even the best leader could completely eliminate the problem

Connor