2015-01-23 15:37:11

I've started playing the Age of Warlords maps—well, I'm still on the first one, but OH MY GRACIOUS THIS THING IS SO AWESOME.

I'm still adjusting, however, and after the AI got the bad guys to build their Embassy on my turf, I realised I could just build my watchtowers on their side of the mountain range. Since my towers in the game I'd been working on for days were doing nothing because I was keeping the enemy backed up at the mountain pass, I decided to start a new game and try out my new strategy.

So far, my towers have been wiped out before they could kill anything important and before they had a chance to upgrade. I really hate anti-paladins and enemy archers. And catapults that aren't mine.

The biggest issue I'm currently having is that in my biggest game, although my dwelling's a city, I haven't even gotten close to the enemy dwelling to do any damage. Only a few of my army units have been fortunate enough to get enough experience to upgrade before they're wiped out—even the valkyries and dragons are being wiped out if I leave them unattended for even a turn. I put this down to not killing them with structures I'd put on the enemy's side of the mountain range early on, although there's a very good reason for this. My inn's also way too far away to be of any use at all because of the stupid fire arrows that kill my guys before they can use three or four turns worth of movements getting back to it. I just wanted it to be safe from enemy attack, but now I regret putting it where I did. I feel like I'm missing something really obvious here, but what am I doing wrong? The best I can do is keep the enemy from getting through the pass and I'm supposed to get to the enemy city to blow it up, aren't I?

2015-01-23 16:56:12 (edited by keyIsFull 2015-01-23 17:02:54)

Whenever you can recruit something, do it. And use control-shift-A to set units to AI controlled. This is useful for the units that don't have special features like heavy infantry and light/heavy cavalry. Catapults are usually better left human controls, as are archers. Also, stack buffs on powerful units, such as catapults. If you stack like bless and ice blade on a unit that's an additional 4 points of damage, which can make a huge difference. Also use your catapults' take aim ability once they get within range, that adds another 3 extra damage to the attack.
Also check out all the tavern units. Unlike embassy units, you get tavern units exclusively from the tavern, and they are extremely powerful. The bards are especially useful because of their charming and inspire abilities, the latter of which is the equivlent of giving the unit another whole turn. Dwarf boar riders are nice for close fighting after they are buffed with bless and ice blade, while steel legions are excellent for holding a tile due to their enhanced fortify. Stack cleric protection on top of that and they won't be pushed off any time soon. Gnoll archers do devastating damage with their attacks and also have a range of 3 as compared to the 2 of normal archers. Vlkyries are useful only after buffs; they are basically like flying paladins. Generally they hit and run, but they are probably the least useful of the tavern units.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2015-01-23 18:16:58

My third bard is somewhere in the middle of my ever expanding army. The last time I tried summoning any of the others they got killed before I got more than a couple of hits in. I do always check my buildings to see if the points are high enough to recruit something. I think I have about six clerics on my field right now but most of them are too far away to do anything atm. I have infantry/cavalry/archer/a few miscelaneous other units stacked three high about halfway back to my now citadel. There was a point where they were stacked up right to my door.

*takes notes* I'll use your advice tomorrow, or whenever I get back on the game. That background music is going to be swirling in my head for hours as it is and I need a break.

2015-01-24 21:55:16

Something odd I noticed. My Spell Tower is gaining platinum coins every round. It doesn't have any use for them. My Embassy, on the other hand, is not gaining platinum every round, despite the user guide stating that it should. I have to use the caravans to give it coins. Is this normal?

2015-01-24 22:36:45

Question for developpers of this game, can add suppord for screen reader nvda? sory for my bad english...

2015-01-25 08:28:26

There's already NVDA support. Just press alt +o after you open the game and everything will be read by NVDA if you have it. smile You have to do this every time you open the game, mind. It would be nice if we could set it to use our preferred screen-reader by default in preferences.

2015-01-25 18:15:41

Okay tnx...

2015-02-09 01:41:04

The map-creation guide says there's a mailing list. What's the address? I can't seem to find it on the website. sad

2015-02-09 11:26:47

Visit: http://BlindAudioGames.com
Jump to the "Joining the community" heading.
There is a small form that has an edit box for your email, a combo box set to subscribe by default, and a Go button.

Alternatively you can use these instructions from the Tactical Battle user guide:
To subscribe to the mailing list you can use the form in the "Joining the community" section of the BlindAudioGames.com website or simply send an email to: [email protected] with the word subscribe in the subject line.

Cheers!

~ Ian Reed
Visit BlindGamers.com to rate blind accessible games and see how others have rated them.
Try my free JGT addon, the easy way to play Japanese games in English.
Or try the free games I've created.

2015-02-09 19:33:48

Thanks! smile

2015-03-09 13:01:39

GAAAAAAAAAH WHY.

I'm playing the Axis and Allies map in Age of Warlords, and I BLOODY CAN'T KEEP THE DIPLOMATS ALIVE LONG ENOUGH TO GET EVERYWHERE. I've tried getting my Maven to give them both the ability to fly for a bit, and that got one of them as far as the Centaur clan at the top left of the map, so he managed to get four places to sign up, but by the time I'd gotten him there, there was a friggin' troll and other really nasty enemies right around that area, and I tried summoning the centaur cavalry and shielding him as best I could, but he was one step away from the next stop when they killed him. I have restarted this map at least five times trying to get as far as possible with my diplomats. The Diplomacy skill says Bards can use it too, BUT IT'S NOT IN THEIR SKILL SET. i CHECKED. As if that wasn't bad enough, the lower right portion of the map has been over-run with hounds that kill everything before I get a chance to kill them off. There must be at least twenty of the wretched things and i DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET RID OF THEM ALL IT'S FREAKIN' RIDICULOUS SOMEONE H E L P.

I have one living diplomat in the high elves' forest, but at this rate I don't know how long he'll last. Some hag and her cronies killed my lightning mage before he could do more than blast one of those stupid hound units that decided to cross the bridge and have at me. I am this close to restarting again and I'm starting to really hate this particular map.

2015-03-17 11:50:53

I have question when a new maps is been released?

2015-03-28 01:27:38

Normally, whenever people get around to writing them. I know of a few that are in progress. One of my own included.

2015-03-29 19:36:16

hello, I decided to create my own tactical battle camagne. only problem is, I mixed some sounds together and converted them to mp3 using audacity, but when the game tryes to play this I get the following error. please note, my system is a german one so I had to translate some of the error text.
---------------------------

An error has occurred.  Please notify the game creator of this error.  You can copy the entire error to your clipboard by pressing control + C.  Then you can paste it into an email by pressing control + V and send the email to [email protected].
System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not defined in the dictionary.

at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)

at Ian.Unit.GetTeamName() in C:\Data\Recent\Games\TacticalBattle\Unit.cs:Zeile 259.

at Ian.Unit.GetTBName() in C:\Data\Recent\Games\TacticalBattle\Unit.cs:Zeile 253.

at Ian.Unit.GetName() in C:\Data\Recent\Games\TacticalBattle\Unit.cs:Zeile 246.

at Ian.MapBase.GetTileAnnounceText(Int32 x, Int32 y, String prefix, Boolean speakCoords) in C:\Data\Recent\Games\TacticalBattle\MapBase.cs:Zeile 141.

at Ian.MapBase.AnnounceTile(Int32 x, Int32 y, Boolean playSound, String prefix, Boolean speakCoords, Boolean soundOverSpeech, Int32 end) in C:\Data\Recent\Games\TacticalBattle\MapBase.cs:Zeile 103.

at Ian.MapBase.MoveReview(Int32 x, Int32 y) in C:\Data\Recent\Games\TacticalBattle\MapBase.cs:Zeile 98.

at Ian.MapBase.HandleMoveReview(IHaveGameInput ent) in C:\Data\Recent\Games\TacticalBattle\MapBase.cs:Zeile 69.

at Ian.TBHM.HandleMoveReview(IHaveGameInput ent) in C:\Data\Recent\Games\TacticalBattle\TBHelperMethods.cs:Zeile 1234.

at Ian.MapEditor.Process(TBGlobal ent) in C:\Data\Recent\Games\TacticalBattle\TBStates\MapEditor.cs:Zeile 86.

at Ian.SceneMachine`1.Process(T ent) in C:\Data\Recent\Games\GameEngine\SceneMachine.cs:Zeile 50.

at Ian.TBGlobal.ProcessScene() in C:\Data\Recent\Games\TacticalBattle\TBGlobal.cs:Zeile 73.

at Ian.GL.InnerSingleLoop(IHaveGameEngineStuff ent) in C:\Data\Recent\Games\GameEngine\GameLoop.cs:Zeile 189.

at Ian.GL.RunSingleLoop(IHaveGameEngineStuff ent) in C:\Data\Recent\Games\GameEngine\GameLoop.cs:Zeile 119.

at Ian.GameWindow.RunGameLoop(Boolean keyPressed) in C:\Data\Recent\Games\GameEngine\GameWindow.cs:Zeile 126.

at Ian.GameWindow.GameLoopTimer_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Data\Recent\Games\GameEngine\GameWindow.cs:Line 266.

at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
OK   

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2015-04-30 20:29:57

It should work for mp3 files. They are normal .mp3s, right?

2015-05-07 20:44:03

I can't register email to play.   it just says on websight, sorry an error occurred.   tried this with 2 different email addresses.   is there way to fix this.

2015-05-08 03:33:18

Thanks for reporting this.
It is fixed now.

~ Ian Reed
Visit BlindGamers.com to rate blind accessible games and see how others have rated them.

2015-05-09 08:15:52

I have to ask if this title is like the classic game that was made in to being accessible for us.   the classic nentindo title shadow gate.   is this title similar to that?   truth be told, I hope not.

2015-05-09 17:34:57

@musical professor, Tactical Battle is nothing like shadow gate.
But from my website you can also download shadow gate ported to the adventure game engine by nina0116, and that is a port of the nintendo version you are talking about.

~ Ian Reed

2015-05-10 21:32:55

Hmm, I wish that had an easier scripting language, since that's the only game out for that. There are loads of maps out for TB.

2015-05-11 03:57:14

yes I know its a port of nentindo for I once had it.   though I can't see the game, it well, i'll just say wasn't nothing even from a visual perspective for sighted people I knew tried it.   I didn't care for it but, I tried the one that was dun from this perspective for a blind person such as myself to play to see if it was werth retrying.   um, well,   no comment.   but tell me this.   the tb title, does that game play in the same engine as the shadow gate nentindo port?

2017-10-07 01:10:35

Hello all.
I can't create acount at blindgamers.com.
I've enterd my email adresse and my password, but I didn't receive any confrumation email.
What should I doo?

best regards, muhammad chafid

2017-10-07 04:47:25

If you're just making an account to play, you don't have to worry about that. Just enter your email address when you first load TacticalBattle and it should let you access it afterward.
In regards to the website. Check your spam/junk email folders, it might be in there. If not, try registering again. You may have mistyped your email.

2017-10-08 00:00:42 (edited by muhammad chafid 2017-10-08 00:01:40)

I've tryde menny menny menny times, but I still didn't receive any confrumation email

best regards, muhammad chafid

2017-10-08 01:13:15

@danang13, send me an email at [email protected].
Then I can look for your email address in the logs to see if confirmation emails are getting sent out or not.
And as ShadowMamba suggested, check your spam/junk email folders in case it got put there instead of your inbox.

~ Ian Reed