2015-05-02 11:48:45

Another month, another topic of monthly chattery begins. Happy beltane to any pagans and happy mayday to everyone else, ---- wait a minutethat sounds rather like I'm wishing everyone a happy crysis, oh well.

Rules as usual for those who don't tend to check these monthly thingies, welcome to a topic for utterly off the cuff conversation. Let us know what your up to, how the major occupation, or recreation or desperation in your life is going currently.

Of course as the one who gets the proverbial ball rolling I gets to go first, ha!

Finally I seem to have conquered my cough which is good, sinse I do want to get back to singing and recording and such again. annoyingly I got the part list back for the aims music school before I was well enough to send in an audio recording, though I'm a little confused sinse there are a couple of songs listing me and they just say my name followed by "chorus" so whether I'm singing the chorus or singing with the chorus I am not sure (other listing's have people's name, voice type and whether the chorus is involved). I can't complain anyhow though sinse I wasn't even able to audition, and i'll end up doing something, indeed it's quite amazing how relaxed I feel about this as opposed to all those bloody music school auditions where it was very much my sight as an excuse that just piss me off.

anyway, in happier news I finally! have seen Frozen, which my mum was able to borrow on dvd from one of her friends. My verdict is absolutely awsome! real plotk, honest to goodness songs, decent characters and not another  pointless action runaround, plus I have to say I'm always a sucker for a good musical, definitely the best thing Disney have done sinse the renaesance period back in the nineties.

Interestingly enough I was reading up on the film and actually found out that though it used a different writer and composer, quite often they went on the basis of "what would alan and ashman do" the lyricists and song writers who worked on films like Aladdin, so no wonder it worked out well. I've now got the soundtrack and though I've probably listened to it less than apparently some kids have, I've certainly heard it.

The only thing I found a little weerd in the film was how Elsa was completely awsome for most of it, even though she didn't know what she was doing her maghic was still amazingly powerful being able to create  massive giant  ice monsters and a huge ice palace out of nothing, and she was very definite in that she wanted to be left alone. however, why the hell did she then get captured so dam easily towards the end? I was waiting for her to put the annoying prince on ice! Actually this reminds me of a very funny T shirt my brother mentioned which features Subzero from Mortal Kombat and Elsa from frozen embracing with the caption "Two frozen hearts!" now there would be an awsome couple big_smile.

This ties in to something interesting I found out while reading up on the film's generation. disney apparently planned to adapt the snow queen for a long while, however couldn't cope with the character of the queen herself. In fairness I do approve of what they did both because they created a great character, and because other than the bit about the story containing a queen, with icy magic and having a female protagonist, there really is far less relation between Frozen and The original Anderson snow queen than in generally any disney fairy tale adaptation, (and what I read of their earlier draughts and ideas really didn't sound good). Quite ironic if I think about it that like The Lion King Frozen (which has probably been the most high  profile and successful disney as The Lion king did in it's day), is a far more original story.

However, much as I liked Frozen I am a little sorry we missed the actual snow queen from Anderson's story. As I've said before, I rather miss utterly brick, completely scary villainesses like lewi's white witch (well until you get to the modern Narnia films). Why do all female villains have to be either quirky and emotional or still worse, have the hole soccubus thing going on, heck I've certainly met enough authoritarian, domineering ladies in reality.

Oddly this doesn't happen with heroes, or even people with good motives, sinse the "Strong female hero" trope is now thankfully extremely well established, but I  would love to see just a plane scary, hard as nails villainess.

The Snow queen ranks as one of the stories that actually did scare me when I was a child, particularly because the audio version I had was amazingly well read and backgrounded with some dam evil music. I always thought the final scene where gurda runs into kuy (I might be misspelling the names), in a huge icy room as he's been set to shape peaces of ice into the word eternity was a really lovely one and one which would work amazingly on film, albeit I always did wonder why the snow queen herself sort of vanished at that point and just let Gurda wander into her palace and then wander out again with Kuy. Then again I love the idea that the queen's  summer palace was in lapland (I always wondered what evil part of the world her winter palace was in).

Anywayy, in other news things have been relatively quiet. Speaking of crazy depictions of wwomen I've been reading some very good chapter reviews of wheel of time which have been awsome as I said in my post on the wheel of time abridged. Admitedly the lady writing them, leigh butler does occasionally dip into feminist opinions and assumptions I strongly disagree with, but I do find her views on the series interesting, for example she really likes Mat as a character (where as I mostly found him annoying), sinse she sites him as a lovable rogue, (I got the rogue but not the loveable).

I do hope to get back to writing literary reviews and articles myself as well now that I'm no longer coughing constantly.

other than that it's mostly been games and more doctor who, last night I began Mega man x on my snes and was rahter pleased to find that where last time I played even levels and bosses who I used to be able to slaughter were causing me extreme grief, now I seem to have something of my old mojo back as far as Mega man goes, which is good sinse the x games are fantastic and some of  my favourites  however I really dislike trying to beat something that I recall doing without difficulty previously.

I also feel I really should try some more muds or at least start with aardwolf or flux world, but I find when I sit down at my computer I'm more wanting to either play something with distinct story like a gamebook, or turn off my pc and fire up my console.

Today however I'll not have as much time sinse a friend of mine is visiting and cooking venison stew which should be lovely, though hopefully he won't turn my kitchin into quite as much of a bomb site as he usually manages to big_smile.

So that's how things are up here in the not currently frozen though frequently frozen north (and we don't even have random girls with abandonment issues and cryomancy to blaime). How's everyone else?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-05-02 21:25:43

I still haven't seen frozen. I get this weird feeling that it can't possibly live up to all the hype, but that's what I thought about the leader of the armies of the shadow in the last book of the wheel of time. That surprisingly failed to disappoint, so perhaps frozen will turn out the same?

My laptop spontaneously stopped charging, so it is currently in the shop to be repaired. So, I'm pretty much stuck with my phone for the moment, and it turns out that being forced to rely on Safari for everything is frustrating. Quite so.

The supervisor of the local Department of services for the blind finally got a hold of me on Friday, and sounded surprisingly enthusiastic about my game development shenanigans. He went so far as to say that, if I were to attempt to start some sort of business around this, that's DSB would help in some fashion. I have no idea what that would involve, (probably just handling the complicated paperwork cried.) But it was still kind of neat

… I probably should see frozen.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2015-05-03 09:08:10

Well, as for me the month of May is certainly off to a good start. For one thing it is finally beginning to warm up in Ohio, and we are no longer dealing with the effects of the cold we had this past winter. The last couple of days it has gotten up into the 70's, is sunny, and has a fair breeze. So that in of itself is good.

My son and I went to a flea market yesterday and I purchased a guitar amp for $20. It was a decent practice amp, and I think it is something we both will enjoy as it is both small but has a number of effects on it.

I also managed to take my son to a pawn shop yesterday and replaced his Playstation 2 with a used one. So we spent a couple of hours yesterday just playing games like Nascar Thunder 2004 and Off Road Racing 2005. Both were fun although not accessible enough for me.

In other news I am working my way through Steve Berry's Cotton Malone series. I've read the books before, but not in order and one after another so it is fun reading them all in chronological order. At the moment I am now on the Emperor's Tomb which is the sixth book in the series.

As a side project I have updated one of my older laptops with 2 GB of ram, a 100 GB hard drive, and restored it to Windows XP. The main purpose behind fixing up this older laptop is to turn it into a gaming machine. As people know some games such as Eaman don't work on newer versions of Windows as well as some of my favorite IF interpreters so I am fixing up an older computer with XP to serve the purpose of playing and running older software that doesn't meat newer specifications. So far that is turning out well for my purposes.

Fortunately, a lot of the stuff I want to run doesn't need the latest and greatest hardware. Eaman is just a glorified text based roll playing game, and most of the Dos games like Piledriver, Wrestling League Manager, and Any Night Football don't need super specs either. Any machine that can run 16-bit Dos apps will do the job.

I also have the added bonus that I have some relatively modern apps like Windows Media Player 11 on there so it isn't just all gaming. I can listen to mp3s, play DVD movies, and pretty much turn that laptop into a multimedia computer and reserve office type work, programming, and the internet for a machine running a newer version of Windows or Linux.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2015-05-03 18:47:27

Hi, i have been on and off the forum for the past 6 months or so, and haven't contributed much, so i figured i'd jump in to this topic to talk about some recent developments. I recently picked up a brand new macbook air, which has been a fantastic experience. I have been looking for a very portable laptop for quite some time now, and think this 11 inch air will fill the bill for me. It's very fast, and i really like how mac OS X works and i like the interface, which is something i'm quite picky about on my windows machines. Also, i have been out of town, spending some time with my girlfriend, who has just had an ovarian cyst removed, and is currently recovering. She is quite sore, and she says it's hard to walk around much, so i have been taking care of her. It gives a lot bonding time, and a lot of time to sit around and watch movies and just chat, which is something we both quite enjoy. I'm waiting to play the new mortal combat x game, which won't be out for xbox 360 until next month, so i'm looking forward to getting my hands on the game, and pooring a lot of hours in to it. Like tom, i have recently repurposed an old machine for some windows xp gaming, mostly dos and old audio game titles, which i'm looking forward to playing as well. That's about all for now, i'll come back if i think of anything else.

2015-05-03 19:47:58

Glad people is using this topic.

@Cae,  agreed on  Ios and net browsing,  much as I love vo and the touch screen interface for many things,  using the internet is not one of them, the way it handles even standard stuff like dropdowns and labeled images is just screwy for some reason. It's odd, the choiceofgames titles are all fairly standard html and I can play those fine, but on even comparatively normal websites like here I never find things work well, let alone crazier ones (I once attempted to play core exiles on my phone which didn't work out).

With Frozen, I can't say compared to the hype sinse as I said before all the barrage of superhero blockbusters and such has pretty much soured me on popular opinions of hollywood, especially with how most major action films these days tend to come out, get a huge wave of acclaim and then fall off the map almost entirely. Also with disney particularly I have not especially enjoyed much of their pixar cg runaround stuff anyway, and even in 2009 with The Frog Prince which was supposedly an attempt to go back to a traditionally animated disney musical the thing felt rather flat over all and more like a box ticking exercise than as if anyone really cared. that was why frozen surprised me, my expectations weren't exactly high. They weren't low either, I didn't go in expecting to hate the film (sinse generally speaking if you begin expecting to hate  something you will), I just wasn't prepared for something with the  writing quality and emotional woomf! Of course also bare in mind I am a fan of both musicals and classic style disneys anyway. For someone who isn't, I don't know how much affect it'd have.

@Tom, I've not run across Steve Berry before, what sort of thing does he do? Also I have to say I'm always impressed at anyone who can play anything with strings big_smile.

@Arq, I'm sorry to hear about your girlfriend that sounds horribly painful even if the watching films and spending time bit sounds nice.

Yesterday evening I had  one of my more random friends turn up, cook venison casserol and invite one of his friends who we both refer to as gandalf, sinse he's a doctor of divinity with a long white beerd, a liking for red wine and a definite interest and knolidge of old languages and legends. He's quite a fascinating chap, and I actually do wish I'd recorded him speaking the old welsh Legend of the giant Bran the blessed, which was completely awsome!

Also my friend did his usual amount of insanity/generosity and bought several bottles of goodness knows how expensive wine, plus port which was great he also bought me as a present about £70 worth of chocolates, which is wonderful if a bit mad (though most of them I'm saving for his next visit to share with him).

Even though I held to my usual practice and partook of the wine in sparing quantities, (I've actually never had a hang over or been too drunk to remember what I was doing sinse I always reach a distinct stopping point when i know I've had enough, the fact we were all up until two Am did mean I've been a little on the dead side today, principley continuing with the wheel of time stuff, but hay it's a Sunday and there's nothing major on the shedule, ---- well nothing accept god knows how much washing up and cleaning of my kitchin, sinse though he is a fantastic chef, my friend does have an unfortunate tendency to use every single utensil I own and turn my kitchin into a disaster areaa, still it's usually worth it.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-05-03 19:48:19

I've been having a good time with my friends these five days. It might have been great, but I assume everything to be better and better. smile

There's an opinion these days sticking on my mind, which conveys me to change from Android to apple, certainly for accessibility purposes, what else could it be?
So what do you think? would it be a right decision? Uh?

Also, school is going great, although I have to deal with a lot of lessons to be prepared for the final exams. Regretful that soon I'll have to leave some of my friends and some great teachers of this school. Yeah really. It's the first time I feel regretful when the end of school comes!

2015-05-04 02:14:51

@Dark, Steve Berry writes action thrillers. Most of them have some historical angle that has major bearing on today and involves the Magellan Billet which is supposed to be a top secret intelligence group for the U.S. Justice Department. I personally like them because they involve what I like to call speculative history, some adventure, and are just all around good books. I'd highly recommend them if you are into action and adventure type books.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2015-05-04 03:21:11

@Afrim I've already talked about Ios in the Apple watch topic so you've had my thoughts there. One thing I will suggest however is why not go to some sites like Applevis and check out some podcast demos of games and other aps. For me, that was the primary reason I bought an Iphone, indeed while I have nothing against Android I never even considered it as an alternative to Ios sinse my major interest was the aps and games and such.

@Tom, I might look up Steve Berry at some point if I fancy a change of genre, however I will say that despite reading a lot of adventure and spy type stuff as a teenager I rather went off the genre. this is partly because I often just don't find I can get that excited about much in the way of political or national crysis plots, ---- well not unless they go into war, apocalypse or some state that actively changes the world in a big way or are set in very different cultures and parts of the world to the ones I know, and partly because I did find I got a tad sick of political or nationalist bias and stock character which often cropped up in modern day adventure or spy fiction. Of course said things aren't genre specific by any means, and indeed a book can still be well written but have a clear bias or some less developed characters, but for some reason it bothered me more in modern day fiction than in something fantasy, sf or even appocalyptic.

To take two examples, I recently read a review of a book who's main jeopardy was that someone was going to assassinate the president of america. now, I have nothing against the American president, and obviously wouldn't want to see them assassinated, and I also know logically that if the president were assassinated it would cause a huge amount of political unrest and aggravation that might even go as far as war, however on a basic level I don't find the idea itself has me on the edge of my seat the way something which  threatened extreme death to many people  or even a few characters I cared about would. it's not something I feel in a really over baring "Oh god! this is something that just plane must not happen" sense.

I would've put this down to cultural bias, sinse manifestly I am not myself American so don't  have any especial reverence for the american head of state, however one of the reasons I gave up on john Gardener's  james Bond was surprisingly similar, that the main climax of a particular novel was Bond foiling  an assassination attempt on Princess Diana, Prince William and Prince Harry, my thought was "Well I obviously didn't want to see them dead, but sort of, ---- meh"

Oh and btw, yes it is a little ironic given what happened to Princess Diana about 5 years after John Gardener wrote that novel (for those none brits she died in a car crash in paris), and indeed I remember feeling very strongly at the time how little I really cared about the event, yes, it was sad she died in a car crash, but not to the insane levels that the media and most of the public took it, after all people die in car crashes every day. Indeed I was called insensative by many people for voicing that view.

Of course, I will freely admit I don't feel anymore special ore towards the british royal family anymore than I do towards the Us president, which is sort of what I mean by nationalist bias, ie, where the threat involved is couched as one against a given nation. Indeed, thinking about it it is somewhat ironic that when in a fantasy series is set in a monarchy like  Songs of Ice and fire or in fact wheel of time there are plots to kill heads of state, usually said heads of state are major characters in the book so your concerned for them just as you would be for the death of any other character, where as in books set in the real world most of the time plots against heads of state are usually portrayed as plots directly against various nations about which the reader is presumed to care, rather than plots against characters the reader likes.

Then again this isn't perfefct in fantasy either (quite often in Wheel of time I wanted some of the dam assassination plots to succeed either because the characters involved were total gits or because Jordan has so many bloody characters the numbers could do with a bit of kulling big_smile.

Still perhaps this explains something of why I prefer books that even when set in the real world deal with things that twist the world out of recognition, whether those be monsters or contact with the supernatural as in steven King or full blone appocalypses.
Of course, not all spy or adventure stories have this sort of direct threat to heads of state or this kind of plot, although even the ones that don't often present things like a war or a planned act of massive destruction as a direct threat against the good guy's country, rather than just say preventing a big loss of life for it's own sake, though manifestly this is a generalization and there are counter examples.

And that's probably enough personal literary directed rammblement for one night, (methinks reading this Wheel of time blog and comments is rubbing off on me).

2015-05-04 04:13:00

@Dark, I do see where you are getting at. For the most part I agree with you that a lot of books are biased and since they are written by a person of a certain country he naturally props his or her country up as the good guys and assumes his or her readers likewise feel the same. Therefore the story specifically targets people within his or her own culture. However, there are exceptions to the rule.

For example, in Steve Berry's book, The Venetian Betrayal, while America is obviously the good guys it isn't America specifically in harm's way. In that book it is about a woman who takes over central Asia, creates a new country called the Central Asian Federation, and plans to conquer the entire middle east using biological warfare which could lead to millions upon millions dead if the biological agents were ever to be released. Tied up in that plot is the search for the last resting place of Alexander the Great who was supposedly entombed with a natural cure for many biological and viral infections. Truly an interesting book in plot and in the so-called crisis at hand.

However, I do agree that most spy thrillers are often times the same thing different book. So can't totally blame you for blowing off the genre. I have grown tired of it as a genre myself after having read just about everything I can get my paws on, and finding most of it follows a predetermined plot and similar concept as the last one I read. Steve Berry, though, is a little different in that a lot of his books involve treasure hunts for things like the Amber Room, the lost Library of Alexandria, the lost tomb of Alexander the Great, and so on which I do think are interesting and are side quests that go along with the plot against a nation or nations at hand.

As for the royal family generally speaking I don't have any particular interest in them either. Although, in the case of Princes Diana I really did like her, and she had quite a following over here in the States so  a lot of people, including me, really took her death hard. In my personal case I am a humanitarian and really admire the various work she was doing in the last years of her life promoting humanitarian causes and working with various charities. She was a very outgoing personality, someone who didn't seem stuck up or selfish, which is why she stood out from the rest of the royals.

As for your own feelings towards that event it does seem a bit insensitive, but it is hard to feel anything towards someone you don't personally know or have any connection with. I didn't know Diana either personally, but I did have an emotional connection of sorts with her through the news media. As I said I admired the work she was doing so was sorry to see her die so young with so many things left to do in the world. Although, because I didn't actually know her etc I wasn't morning or grieving over her death. Popular people die all the time and while their passing makes me feel a bit sad its not really a personal loss one way or the other. So can understand to a certain degree your own insensitivity on the matter.

Anyway, just because I am an American doesn't mean I necessarily care about plots involving the assassination of a president. Most of them I don't really personally care about so have no emotional connection with the plot or characters in the book. It is only if the president in the book happens to be a character like Jack Ryan who has been the main character in many Tom Clancy books before becoming President of the United States does any sort of assassination plot matter to me in a book. In most cases the presidents in most books are generic characters meant to imitate one U.S. president or another thus don't mean all that much to me personally.

For instance, in the Steve Berry books the president is Danny Daniels. I believe he is suppose to be loosely based on George Bush Jr. and thus isn't all that appealing to me as a character. I personally didn't like George Bush Jr. so its not surprising any fictional character based on him would equally be unappealing to me. So it is no surprise that in the Alexandria Link there is an assassination plot afoot to kill Danny Daniels and I didn't have much of an emotional investment in that part of the story. I was more interested in the quest for the lost Library of /Alexandria than the assassination plot.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2015-05-04 06:00:20

@Tom, well I can definitely see the appeal of the historical end of things, I am a Doctor Who fan after all, and indeed though I've never read any of dan Brown's books I did enjoy the film of the Devinci code for that reason.

Also, as I ssaid the cryticisms I made weren't intended as universal, nor to imply they don't occur in other genres, indeed  I find myself currently getting a little sick of the urban fantasy genre for similar reasons, ---- heck even Tad Williams who is otherwise one of my favourite authors I didn't think did a good job with his Bobby dollar urban fantasy series, well accept for the second book but sinse that was almost entirely set in Hell you could hardly call it urban fantasy unless you count pandemonium big_smile.

As far as Diana went I will agree on  that her humanitarian work did at least mean she was  less useless than most of the royals, though I certainly didn't feel much of a connection or particularly special admiration, well no more  than I would for any celebrity who did similar charitable work. Also, I confess I got completely sick of the massive national reaction, which was just plane extreme, probably as major a reaction as the twin tower's disaster or in a different sense the 2012 olympics. Shops closed, cafes were draped in black cloth, you heard elton John's candle in the wind everywhere! anyone you spoke to reitterated the fact, indeed an entire conference I was suppose dto be going to at the holocaust memorial center inserted several "reflections on the weeks events" which seemed ridiculous to me, taking time away from contemplation and learning about one of the worst massacres of modern times for the purpose of mouring the death of one person in a car crash. For me it all felt way over the top for something which was undoubtedly sad, but not to that extreme!

2015-05-05 12:06:28

Okay, appologies for the double reply but sinse I went to see Avengers age of Ultron last night and had some rather decent grubbage at Nando's I thought I'd add to this post.

Yes, I went to see an Avengers film, mostly because a couple of friends were going and hay why not? Yep, it was about what I expected, lots of big exploding things, a villain with entirely impractical plots, a mcguffin of doom, and good guys who caused maximal property damage while alternating between some genuinely funny one liners, winjings about the awfulness of being part of a small group of people who are able to cause said property damage, and big dramatic speechings on pretty much the wonderfulness of the same thing big_smile.
As I said, certainly not best film, or even good film material, and no I have not changed my view on either super heroes or the dirth of real artistic tallent inherent in hollywood (I saw a trailer for the Jurassic park remake that set me acursing, especially given the lack of John Williams).

However, two things really struck me about the Avengers and it might explain what I have against so much of this super hero malarchy. Firstly, Not one of the avengers seemed like a decent person.

All of them were either into their big duty shtick, or their team shtick, or their defeat enemy shtick, however I couldn't imagine one of them doing something I'd consider normally nice, like for example lending a friend buss fair or being willing to listen to someone with a problem, ---- indeed  any time one of them like Bruce Banner had an issue it seemed to be solved by either a lot of snarking or a monologue on the virtues of teamhood and how great being one of that particular team was.

If you asked me what the attributes of being a hero were, being able to punch through walls, gun down hoards of enemies or run as fast as a speeding bullet would be fairly low down the list, while qualities like just being there for someone, or being able to suffer real, honest to goodness trauma but carrying on with purpose regardless (and I don't mean some anxty monologue about how bad having power is, I mean something actually nasty happening to you). This would probably explain why my architype of a hero is Frodo from Lotr.

This isn't to say i don't like action sequences, action is awsome! but as the lady who is writing the wheel of time stuff does point out, crowning moments of awsome are about characters you respect doing something awsome as much as about just big showy doom.

For example, a sequence in game of thrones which is rapidly getting as big a reputation as some of the fights in starwars is the Mountain and the viper, (it's becoming a meme all of it's own).

Beware! possible spoilage for Game of thrones season 4 or A storm of Swords below.

On the one hand this involves a huge 7 foot tall brute of a knight with a gigantic sword, and a super fast, lightly armoured acrobatic knight with a spear having a major slug fest, that ends with one knight getting a spear through the guts while literally crushing the other's head with his bare hands.

However, there is more to it than that. The red Viper, Oberyn Martel, is trying to kill Gregor Kligane for what he did to his sister and her children, and during the fight he's constantly screaming accusations and trying to get kligane to admit what he did. this is even more surprising given that Martel is quite an ambiguous character in a lot of ways, (we first encounter him in a brothle enjoying the attentions of various boys and girls and complaining about northern hospitality).

The battle finishes with the Mountain, (who is not a very nice man to put it mildly), gleefully saying "Yes! I raped your sister, then I crushed her head like this!" just before he dies.

Equally, there is a huge amount riding on this combat. Tyrian is being tried at the time and this serves as his trial by combat, meaning if the REd viper loses Tyrian dies, equally if Kligane kills Martel, who is the prince of Dorn, he's pretty much guaranteeing that Dorn will seak revenge, and thus leading Dorn into serious war.

So, a cool action sequence yes, but one that serves a highly important plot function and features a majorly complex character.

A simpler example might be the Darth Mawl fight from Starwars Episode 1, which is about the only good thing in the phantom menace and I've heard some people say, the only good thing in the prequals.

yes, it's an awsome fight between two jedi and a syth with some amazing martial arts, use of the force, ---- oh and a double light sabre!  Not only does it however involve some exceptional build ups and tention making moments ever (I love that moment when the doors open and Darth Mawl is just standing there with his blade glowing, and the start of duel of the fates beginning, not to mention the awsome bit with the force fields that provides a break in the fight), but also Quigon dies! yes dies!

This is I believe one reason why the marvel films, despite their uba action are getting so quickly forgotten after each comes out, sinse iconic action sequences like the darth mawl fight, or Indiana jones and the big rolling ball in temple of doom always used pauses, extra shots, music, and breaks in the action to make sure the action had as much impact as possible, not justpiling on the damage and the quips in spade fulls.

So in conclusion, yes, hulk smash! but maybe Hulk smash better if hulk have reason to smash, and maybe hulk pause before smash sometimes to make  smash have point, otherwise Hulk boring big_smile.

Oh, and when not Hulk, maybe Bruce Banner should be a nicer person :d.

2015-05-05 12:24:05

Hi
I am recently working in foster public school.
one of my moderator friend have a girl friend.
Well Mr moderator !
How can a blind guy make a girl friend?
I know that audiogames.net is not the place for the tips but only for my sake can someone tell me about that.
Mr thomas ward!
are these books available in braille?
Thanks
Ishan

life's battle do not always go to the stronger and faster man,
But sooner or later who win the one who thinks he can!

2015-05-05 13:22:05

@Dark, I do agree that Bruce Banner could be a much nicer person when he is not the Hulk, but that of course would undermine the storyline. It is Bruce's anger, rage, feelings of inadequacy, etc that fuels the change from human to Hulk. Getting rid of those negative emotions which makes him a somewhat unpleasant individual would mean he wouldn't be able to change into the Hulk.

In the TV series which explores the origins of the Incredible Hulk at some depth shows his wife getting killed in a car crash and Banner being unable to save her. That sort of thing can and would cause bitterness in someone which is completely understandable. In light of how he became the Hulk it makes some sense as to why Bruce isn't the nicest person in the Avengers.

As to your points about character faults it comes back to the way Hollywood sees superhero films in general. For them its all about high action and high budget action sequences, stunning stunts, and they have no room for a more down to earth heroism like paying for someone's bus ticket or being there for a friend who needs to talk about something personal. I guess it is just too common place or mundane for the big budget action films to include that sort of thing. While that kind of common place kindness and generosity seems to be absent I try not to fault movies and TV show heroes for that because I do understand why that is the case to a certain point.

It is my conjecture that producers only have a certain amount of time to work with. They want to make a movie they think will sell, and a lot of them do not see small acts of kindness as important as action and special effects. That is why we don't see a scene with Tony Stark donating money to a charity or doing something productive with his billions of dollars, but we will se Iron Man in a long drawn out battle with a supervillain . They see it as a choice of shooting something mundane and unimportant or something that adds to the action and drama of the film.

@Ishan, to be honest I don't know if Steve Berry's books are in braille. I have never checked. I have a lot of his books in audio format from Audible , and I have also scanned quite a number of them and have them in text format. So I suppose if I were so inclined I could send them off to a braille embosser and braille them. However, brailing my own books would be pretty expensive as braille paper is pretty expensive.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2015-05-05 13:53:49

@Tom, I didn't mean that every! single superhero has to specifically donate money to charity or engage in random acts of kindness on screen, only that character wise, in their dialogue and manner and the things an actor can convey, I'd really take them more seriously as actual heroes if they were shown to be that sort of person. 

Luke skywalker is one good example, which is just shown by some very small moments, like when he removes r2d2's restraining bolt simply because it was uncomfortable or when he attempts to take Yoda's antics with good grace before he realizes who Yoda is.

I also disagree that just because a person feels angry or inadequate doesn't make them a decent person, I've met plenty of people in real life who have, either justifyably or not, a hell of a temper, or have been through something seriously traumatic like loss of a relative, and though there are undoubtedly times they definitely feel like going all Hulk smash! that doesn't make them a complete scuzball all of the time or towards everybody. hell, I personally would find it far more convincing that someone changed when they got angry if they weren't! an arse perpetually, sinse then you could atribute said change to the anger, in the film at least it just seemed Banner was a git who triggered his hulk change almost deliberately.

While your undoubtedly correct that Hollywood is far more interested in big flashy action than character, at the same time this is the very thing that makes me care less about this hole stupid super heroes business  and actively dislike  most of the instances of such I've seen, ---- well at least as far as the main marvel or dc ones like Superman or the Avengers goes. I actually find it quite odd that a lot of the films that in the past were considered action flicks like terminator and robocop are now recognized to be as good as they were precisely because! of the characters involved and the worlds and ideas portrayed, as much as for the pure action.

2015-05-08 01:46:20

Well, time for me to turn the conversation... again. I recently purchased a web site domain because me and my cousin wanted to start a business. While my cousin isn't a programmer by any sorts, he is quite techy and enjoys hangin' out with me. The original domain is http://obron.org, as a friend started Obron Multimedia with me, and then I've branched out into my cousins technology business - the one he wants to start, I mean - and the domain is http://pltechnologies.obron.org. (Do not try HTTPS!) I'm currently having some permission issues with obron.org, so pltechnologies.obron.org will be my main website residence for now.
Other than that, school's been grate. My current second semester GPA is 3.4000, my honor Roll GPA was 3.6670, and my Cumulative GPA is 3.8890. I'm not sure which is better - so if any of you know which is the overall, I'd be glad to know.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-05-08 06:21:37

Dark, unfortunately, good solid character development doesn't seem to matter any more to a lot of today's film producers. Even franchises like Transformers and Star Trek who had well defined characters are sadly suffering from this lack of characterization. I know when I went to see the latest Transformers movie or the last two Star Trek movies I distinctly recall walking out feeling let down and disappointed. Both were things I very much enjoyed as a kid, but once Hollywood got ahold of them they ruined the franchises by focusing more on action and adventure than preserving the characters that were already established. In many cases the film producers ignored the accepted cannon and created their own inferior versions of the main characters which was less than ideal.
The same sort of problem applies to the superhero movies involving Spiderman, superman, the Hulk, etc. Its not that the superheroes do not have character or don't possess decent qualities. It is the big budget films which have largely changed or altered the main character of the superhero to fit whatever the producer's idea of that character should be. Unless you have watched the TV shows, read the comics, or listened to superhero radio programs you might not grasp how much the character of a given superhero has been change din the modern films.

Since we have been talking about the Hulk let's use Bruce Banner as an example. You are right no matter what caused him to become angry, bitter, etc gives him the right to be a jerk. I blame this on the modern movies because somewhere along the way the producer's decided to make him into a perpetual jerk. However, historically speaking that isn't the way it use to be.

I will once again direct you to the 70's and 80's TV series which was hugely popular in the States. In that series Dr. Banner actually tried to avoid getting angry, tried to avoid conflict, and for the most part was not the jerk we see in the modern movies. He was generally a kind caring person who avoided conflict when and where possible, but if someone made him angry watch out. He'd go all Hulk on them and kick ass and take names. However, in the TV series there was a much more human side to Dr. Banner than is apparent in today's movies.

I think, and this is just my opinion, a lot of your disagreement with superheroes is that you are basing your opinions solely on the modern movies. If you want to know more about the Hulk, Superman, or any other superhero you have to go back to the comics or the older TV series where the sort of characterization you are talking about is far more common. The classic Superman TV series from the 50's or the Incredible Hulk TV series have much more human characterizations than today's big budget films and were not focused on action. They actually tried to tell a story and make those superheroes people who you and I can identify with on a personal level.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2015-05-08 14:32:35

Hi Tom.

Your likely correct on the character angle and the series. i've never seen the tv series you mention, but I do recall catching a couple of episodes of the animated Hulk and Spiderman, and thinking myself I liked Bruce Banner. Indeed, I remember one story in Spiderman where for some reason Spiderman was mutating into a giant spider form occasionally, and he went to seak the help of the X men, but managed to offend  Wolvareen and most of the X men team by saying "I don't want to be a freak!" which of course they didn't take kindly, and only Beast sort of clicked that Spiderma's mutation wasn't the same as theirs.

Indeed, I will say I always thought the X men mutant plot had a huge amount of potential for really interesting conflicts in terms of discrimination, public image and all the fun things disabled people know about, although most often the films and tv series seemed to go down the easier big action route of being attacked by super beings from the dawn of time, or random aliens or something else as opposed to dealing with the real human/mutant conflic, ---- and in fact one of my favourite super hero depictions, the Anime Tiger and Bunny is all about this conflict. Marvel's tendency for less than consistant world building and tending to employ similar plot solutions, and how much worse this is in the films than the commics or tv series is another matter though.

@Ethin, good luck with the business, though what exactly is it doing? and what is a Gpa? Is this a new game, Grand pinching apples in which you are a no good country lad in the mean fields of Summerset, and go committing terrible crimes like scrumping for apples and ruthless missappropriation of cows! Not to mention showing real disrespect to any chicks you meat, ---- like cooking them or stealing their eggs big_smile.

Sorry.

Well I  am staying with my parents currently sinse we're attending another concert on saturday, last night we went for an amazing    Moroccon meal at the chef's training colige, which was good, and involved some quite unusual stuff like Lam in orange sauce and Pomegranate moose, which was good.

For other stuff, at the moment I've been trying kapi-regnum, sinse I've been looking for a none pvp city building game. The odd thing is, though kapi is certainly none pvp, I just find the hole thing a little cold. i don't really get the sense of what I'm producing, for example just putting x amount of beats with x amount of water to produce x amounts of goats, similarly just having the people as a statistic you provide a house for doesn't really give me the sense of running a medieval town with a lively population, I might as well be doing pure mathematical calculations.

In fairness the build trees are huge as is the marketing side of things, it just feels so devorced from reality. One thing I've wanted in a city building game is that definite sense of seeing my city grow and develop through my decisions an taking things from a couple of people and houses lost in the wild to a thriving metropolis, still more if I can see a bit of the lives of my population, have them have children, get married, build houses etc, but kapi-regnum doesn't give me that sense at all, it just feels completely clinical and detached.

What I do find sort of a bit scary in an interesting way, is I do wonder how much this is like actual economic thinking, that people involved in the real world iquivolents of this sort of activity, whether working for huge companies or banks or governments can get into this sort of thinking of people just as a statistic. 

I always thought A dark room on Ios was incredibly clever for this, starting you off with  building huts for refugees, and then having your villagers workassigned to produce various things, but then after you've built two huts suddenly having your villages calle slaves, an the messages about erecting new buildings as well as some of the random responses getting increasingly grimmer, apparently some people put the game down then and there, but in fairness sinse your having said people work for no pay and produce resources which you the character uses out in the world to fight battles, gain weapons etc and not bennifit them, it was a pretty accurate summation, albeit a grim one, ---- and an especially grim speculation given that today is the general election here in Britain and we get to see which cricket team is running the country, ---- or at least rather which cricket team gets to wear most coloured shirts and have the best team in all the party games that vaguely result in some sort of lore bieng passed that affect the country (really the traditions of westminster are craaaaaaazy).

Now excuse me, my synicism is showing.

2015-05-08 17:31:48

Hello,
I agree about Transformers, I saw Age of Extinction and it was the first time that I felt a bit disappointed afterwoods. For a very good, modern Transformers series that actually brings back a lot of the objects from the past, I'd recommend checking out Transformers Prime. There is quite a bit of character development especially for the decepticon Starscream, lots of two-part stories, and there was even one particular moment that actually made me catch my breath and left me speechless for around five minutes! Season 1 definitely focuses on building the world, season 2 is the best out of the three seasons this show has, but season 3 also has some interesting points.

2015-05-08 18:04:31

I haven't actually seen the series, it is one of the few problems of not owning a tv, I miss random episodes of stuf, next t series (other than ongoing buffiness), is game of thrones season 5, well when my brother and I have finished attack on titan which  we will do this sunday.

I also have to say I still rather like the original transformers from the 80's, sinse while the plots aren't always the best written plots, one thing I do notice is that just like a lot of series from that time, the plot/action ratio is quite surprising. Indeed, I would never call the original Heman and the masters of the universe an astoundingly well written series (even when compared to thins at the time like dungeons and dragons), however when I've seen it now the ratio of actual progressive story to action sequences is quite astounding, even if the story isn't exactly eep or complex.

I know it souns like I have a downer on action, but I really don't. I can think of several sequences I still love, from the alien attack in aliens to the light saber battles in starwars, and the initial smith fight from the original matrix film, not to mention the awsome mill wheel sword fight from pirates of the carribian, and of course that is not to speak of various anime from Guran lagan to Elfen Leid, (oh god! anything! but that, sinse in Elfin the action is also pure evil!), heck I even liked some of the fights in dragon ball z (at least until they started lasting 20 episodes).

However as I said previously, action with point! Indeed, with action I often feel hollywood is going for quantity rather than quality.

2015-05-08 19:29:10

All this talk of characterization Vs Action Vs Hollywood makes me want to plug With this Ring again. While it doesn't feel much like the heavy hitters like Batman, Robin, and Kid Flash get much characterization, most of the others get something--Superboy was grown in a lab and has no family or social network, so spends a while trying to get Superman's attention (while Superman finds the whole thing too awkward to handle), the OC tries to fix everything (as S.I.s often do), yet this has a tendency to go entertainingly wrong (he has an interesting time trying to reform villains), Allen Scott (the Golden Age Green Lantern) is in his 90s and O.L. buys his lantern from him, not realizing that it was keeping him in good health, O.L. just really respects John Constantine even though he's something of a scoundrel, and I will avoid spoilers by saying only that I like how he dealt with Black Adam.

Or, if you want something shorter (and without the unmarked Renegade chapters to confuse things), Inviolate is an interesting take on Lex Luthor, and the DC universe as a whole. The idea is that Lex, while working on a new teleportation system, accidentally discovers what he believes to be a conspiracy to manipulate everyone who could make Earth into a decent civilization into being kinda on the crazy side. So Lex turns all that passion he put in to fighting Superman and manipulating the world into fighting this conspiracy, and along the way we get a good look at what Lex does with his free time--we get to see manipulative scheming arrogant Lex, as well as passionate genius Lex.

("The Metropolotin Man" is another interesting take on the DC Universe, focusing on Lex Luthor Vs Superman in the 1930s. It's much darker, and Lex has much less personality (though Superman and Lois get interesting portrayals). I'd call "Inviolate" something of a comedy thriller, where "The Metropolitin Man" is gritty and tragic.)

In other news, I just randomly stumbled upon Boatface, sandwiched between Scatman John's "Sunrise" and a remix of the Jumpman theme from Megaman 7. So that was... interesting. (Warning: ridiculousness, light autotune.)

Oh, and I finished that final oral defense of my capstone and am done with college and am nowhere near insane enough to try anything higher until I'm actually functional enough to start churning out games on a 2011 Apronic schedule.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2015-05-11 00:09:50

@Cae, not sure about those fanfics, though i could see books doing more justice to super hero character, although to be honest lack of character is just part of my complaints with superhero fiction, random world building is another.

Well I've just come back from spending a day with my brother having an awsome meal at the brazillian bbq restaurant (dr. Atkins would've definitely approved), finishing Attack on Titan.

The series ended very well, and in terms of action, well nothing can beat two giants slugging it out with intermitant attacks by the good guys on awsome O-d-m rigs, four way grapples that let them move like spiders. My only cryticism is firstly the dub was a little over dramatic, sinse there are only so many times you can hear phrases like "This living hell" and not be rather narked. The second is that I did feel we learnt literally nothing and there were moments where the plot went rather sluggish. My brother believes titan is going to be one of the long Anime, going for 5 or 6 series, where as most of that type tend to go for a couple, so that might be why, but it was still slightly frustrating in that the ending didn't really feel conclusive, it was rather down beat.

On a total change of pace we then began watching another anime series, future diary, which couldn't be more different from attack on titan. The premise is that the ruler of the universe sets up a game where 12 people get diaries that predict the future in various interesting ways, and the one left standing at the end gets to be the next god (supposedly).

I rather like the way the hero was sucked into it, and some of the plays with future events are really quite clever, like one woman who has a clairvoiant diary that predicts specifically all the people around her personally and what they could all do, was able to capture another diary holder who was a criminal who's diary was the escape diary, which showed her her own possible future escape attempts.

Disturbingly, the main character's diary (which takes the form of texts on his phone), predicts only the basic details of events around him, sinse he only ever wrote about what he saw in his life not what he did, while the main girls' diary, worryingly called the diary of love), predicts what he! the main character does. Not anything else, just everything about him, and if your wondering if said girl is a rather creepy possessive stalker? The answer is yes!

It's a series that is both lots of fun and rather clever in terms of plots, actually it reminded me of some of the weerder bits of Doctor who and not just the time aspect, so I'll be interested to see where it goes particularly sinse it has a distinct ending (unlike Titan).

2015-05-11 06:20:37

@Dark, I am also a fan of the original Transformers. As you said the plot and action ratio was well done for an animated series and wasn't over done. While the storylines weren't necessarily the best it worked. I really enjoyed the series as a whole as a kid, and still enjoy watching the original Transformers more than I do some of the modern spin-offs like Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Prime, etc.

As you might have suspected I was also a huge fan of He-Man in the 80's as well as She-Ra. Looking back on it some of the storylines for the shows might not have been the best written plots, but over all as a series it was well done. It had pretty decent acting, fairly good animation for the time, and there was a decent balance between action and plot. I especially liked the mixture of science fiction and fantasy as it made it unique.

On one hand we had castles, swords, dragons, and magic which are strongly associated with fantasy. On the other we saw science fiction elements like freeze rays, flying windraiders, robots, and other aspects from a more science fiction themed story. That blend of science fiction and fantasy was new to me at the time, and was all the more interesting because of it.

Even to this day I am still something of a He-Man fan. I have both He-Man and She-Ra on DVD, and occasionally watch them on Hulu.  I think it is a testament to the shows creators that even after 30 years or so I'm still a fan of the show and prefer it over more modern cartoons. I have even got my son into it. Although, I don't believe he likes it as much as I did when I was his age.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2015-05-11 15:39:48

@Tom, I've not actually seen much of the original transformers cartoon for years, I've borrowed the od episode and of course the 1986 film from friends, but I've never sort of sat down and watched it end to end as an adult. I will admit though, while I did enjoy transformers, at the time it was always more my brother's thing than mine so I probably didn't pay it as much mind as something like Heman, the original Dungeons and Dragons or ghost busters, not to mention the Ninja turtles. I do remember though that transformers did have a rather good ongoing story and indeed a story that finally ended, indeed whenever we used to rent videos a favourite of mine was the last couple of episodes with the head masters and target masters which finished with Prime being resurrected, the autobots reclaiming Cybertron, and while the Decepticons weren't actually destroyed they did fly off into space in a fairly final manner. that was pretty rare for a long running cartoon series to have that sort of ending.

I have the first couple of series of Heman on dvd, I should really pick up the rest, also I've not seen She-ra for years! I did borrow thundercats from a friend recently though and noticed the same thing, the plot/action ratio was pretty good, even if the plots weren't always the most astounding, though interestingly enough the dungeons and Dragons animated series which I got recently has astoundingly! well written dialogue and characters. I can actually see why it's stood the test of time so well.

Science fantasy type settings weren't uncommon in the 80's though, as a consequence of starwars I suppose, an this is one reason I personally have always been equally happy with a fantastical setting as an ultra scientific one. One of my favourite old films, flight of Dragons (partly for the music), I love precisely for it's theme of the conflict of science and magic, (it has been a pain to find but I do now have it on v).

Another film I've always been trying to get hold of is an animated film called starchaser, legend of Orin, similar in a lot of ways to starwars but animated (and quite grim in parts). I remember it particularly well not just because of it's story, shocking bits and characters the main characters' first girl friend is literally strangle to death by the bad guy very shortly into the film after his grand father has already been laser whipped to death by a robot, it also featured robot pirates who skin humans and wear the skins. Also it was the film my brother and I happene to be watching when my mum was in hospital extremely ill, so it has that traumatic association as well.

Another thing I realized recently is that I actually always found it easier to see those 80's animated programs. I don't know whether it was because the hand drawn animation back then was far simpler than the cg sort that's going on now, but it is something I always notice when I watch things from that time, or for that matter animated disneyes from the nineties.

Btw, one amusing thing I also found out when looking up facts about Heman and She-ra online, is that She-ra herself in the series was actually a much more positive female character than the toy versions of her were. I always thought it was odd that while I had action figures of several She-ra characters such as Hordac and several of his minians like Leach, Grislor and the Hoard robots, I never had any of She-ra or pandora, after all I id have action figure versions of some of the Heman female cast like Teela and Evilin.

Apparently this was because for some od reason, mattel decided to release the She-ra female characters under their Barby doll line, rather than their masters of the universe action figure line. This meant redressing she-mra complete with hair, giving her a magic wand instead of her sword of power, and rewriting her plot to have a more sort of snow while type "who is the fairest" rivalry with Shadow Weaver, who in the doll line was presented as a wicked queen rather than Hordak's evil black magician henchwoman as she was in the series big_smile.
Oh, and as another random fact, sinse I was probably 8 and under when I first watched heman (I have clear memories of watching it at the age of four or five before I lost most of my vision, though I did also watch it after this), as my mother's name is Lynn, I always thought the character's name was evil lynn, (two words), and sometimes referd to my mum as evil lynn for a joke.

2015-05-12 01:45:56

@Dark, regarding She-Ra there is no big mystery as to why the dolls were marketed as part of their Barbie line. In the mid 80's He-Man was extremely popular with boys and Mattel wanted to launch a line of similar action figures for girls. Therefore they collaborated with Filmations to create a story about He-Man's twin sister, She-Ra, which was suppose to appeal to girls. It sort of backfired because a lot of boys fell in love with the TV show, but all the toys were embarrassingly marketed for girls and located in the Barbie isle in the toy stores. So not many boys bought them, and many girls simply weren't interested in She-Ra per se.

In any case regarding the dolls I was one of the few boys who actually collected them, and what you say about them is only partly correct. Yes, in many respects they were more like Barbie dolls than action figures. She-Ra, Princess Glimmer, Catra, Queen Angella, etc all came with realistic hair like you would find on a Barbie. They also came with pink combs and directions etc on how to style their hair. They also had removable clothing such as removable skirts, caps, crowns, etc. So in that respect yes they were pretty much like Barbie dolls, but they still retained similarities to the TV show.

I don't know which She-Ra doll you are talking about that has a wand instead of a power sword but the one I had came with a golden power sword, a golden shield, a golden crown, as well as more girly stuff such as the afore mentioned pink comb and directions on how to style her hair. As I recall Glimmer, Frosta, Catra, Angella, etc all came with the weapons they used on the show. That much was true to the TV series as best as I remember although they did alter the look of some of the characters such as Shadow Weaver which wasn't true to the series.

In any case I do feel Mattel's decision to try and market She-Ra exclusively to girls was a horrible mistake. They seemed to overlook the fact that boys who were interested in He-Man would also be interested in the spin-off series about She-Ra, watched the show, but because the dolls were marketed in hot pink packaging, were marketed as a sort of Barbie doll, most boys refused to collect them. Girls weren't the prime target group for an action TV series like that, many of them weren't as interested in the series as their brothers, so didn't collect the dolls either. An all around flop for Mattel.

In hindsight I think Mattel should have carried on with the Masters of the Universe line and simply added She-Ra to that toy line. Rather than making them like Barbie dolls they could have sold them as female action figures without the realistic hair, changeable outfits, pink combs, and the God awful hot pink packaging and boys would have bought them. After all my friends and I never had a problem buying female characters like Tela, the Sorceress, and Evil-Lynn so I feel certain if She-Ra had been marketed simply as a female character for their existing He-Man line it would have been much more appealing to boys. If girls wanted one they could have gotten one as well, but would have not been the specific target group.

As far as Transformers goes I was a huge Transformers fan as a kid. I pretty much watched each and every episode immediately after coming home from school and had a decent collection of Transformer action figures at the time. I know I had Prime, Megatron, Iron Hide, Ratchet, Soundwave, Thundercracker, Mirage, Bumble Bee, Astrotrain, Hound, and Devastator. I also recall having a few dinobots like Grimlock, Swoop, and Snarl. I probably had a few other miscellaneous figures, but don't really recall that clearly these days. It has been almost 30 years after all.

In any case I use to watch that show fairly faithfully for the four seasons it ran. Although, I was pretty upset when they killed off Prime in the movie, and he was absent throughout the third season. I think that is why they decided to bring him back for the final season because they knew they had made a big mistake, were losing fans, and wanted to rectify the situation. In any case I am glad the original series had a decent ending and they could have ended it right there if they wanted to. However, instead of letting the series end they have continued to bring Transformers back over and over again to the point they have pretty much killed it.

It is ironic they named the last movie Age of Extinction, because it was so awful in my opinion I am considering not watching the next one when it comes out. As a life long Transformers fan I feel very disappointed where they have taken the series, what they have done to it, and it is all because of over marketing and letting too many fingers into the pie. So unless I hear some good things about the next movie I'm considering not going to the theater to see it, and at most I'll rent it if I hear anything redeemable about it. Otherwise I consider Transformers extinct as a series for me.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2015-05-12 07:10:04

@Tom, that makes sense about the she-ra figures, the facts I got from wikipedia sinse  I actually never bought that many heman figures myself, partly because with my parents not exactly being highly paid and with me lacking in money the figures were always a trifle expensive, and partly because by the time I started getting my own pocket money in the late 80's and early 90's most Heman figures were off the shelves, though I still picked up many secon hand from markets and such, indeed I probably bought more figures secon han than I did new, which was often why I started making up random stories and games with them sinse I'd frequently buy figures based on how they looked rather than if they were a familiar character from Tv.

I actually in some ways prefer series and films that have a distinct ending rather than just being bought back and back and milked to death, sinse yes, even though people always want more, the majority of the time all the remakes and such just tend to do is make stuff worse as time goes on. Then again, there was startrek next generation , so maybe remakes can be done right once in a while big_smile.

Tad Williams did a great job of this in his Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series, when in the third book one character has a pare of twin babies and a prophecy is made about them, a prophecy which has no baring on the actual plot of the story. Apparently all the fans said "aaaaah, your planning the sequel then" to which Williams replied that no he wasn't, he just hated this idea in fantasy that just because the the current crysis was over that meant everything was all smiles and rainbows with nothing significant, he wanted readers to come away with the idea that the world of Ostin Ard (where the MS&T series is set), wasn't one where all the magic shenanigans just switched off and on like a lightbulb, hence the prophecy.
Then again he might put the lie to this sinse he has advertised a new series set in the same world taking place after MS&T, (the first time I think in his career that he's had such an idea), although whether this new series is set immediately after with the same cast or their children or is generations later we don't know.

This business of dragging things out I think is one reason why I have become such a huge Doctor Who fan, sinse Doctor Who is one of the few series that really  should stay completely and utterly original just by virtue of it being able to be set anywhere, and any when, and if an enemy like the Daleks or Cybermen are getting a bit stale they can always be retired off for a while to do something new, or indeed reimagined in a different way, ---- then again I say that, but my feelings as of current Tv who are very much similar to yours with transformers, though at least the audios are still proving awsome, plus we apparently get Torchwood audios later this year hurrah!