2015-04-30 00:27:44

Hi all,
Is it possible to remove a vocals in gold wave?
In the effects menu i see reduced vocals in the stereo sub menu but it only reduces the volume of the vocals.

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2015-04-30 10:39:24

There is no way of completely removing the vocals -- unless the vocal is on one channel and the rest of the music are on the other ones, then you can remove that channel. However, the gold wave reduce vocals isn't so relyable. It could remove vocals, sometimes almost entirely, but it will almost always leave some trace of the vocal behind, I'm afraid. The only fail-safe ways of making an orchestral music is if you have the individual files that composed the music (drums, guitars, pianoes etc all not mixed), then you can just mix all the drums and stuff without the vocal. Or perhaps studioes have professional devices that will remove the vocals completely. In short, I don't think it is possible to remove the vocals entirely with GoldWave

Team rocket's blasting off again!

2015-04-30 10:48:32

how about other programs like audacity or any other audio editing programs?

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,

2015-04-30 11:37:04

I agree with kenzon about this, and if the sound is stereo it just makes it mono.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2015-04-30 12:35:52

Hi Hanif,
Unfortunately
there is not such a relyable way to remove vocals. Especially free programs will certainly do a bad performance in removing vocals. It will also remove some effects in the main channel it removes contents. As far as I know there should be some expensive programs used by professionals on studios, but the cost leaves a sour taste on your mouth. They cost up to 1000 or 1500€. No free programs like audacity, cool edit pro, (not free) etc etc, can exclusively do that job. Even sound fourge does not do a good performance. But apart from others, sound fourge does not convert the track into mono after vocal cutting. + the sound fourge is not free.

2015-04-30 14:46:37

hey, how about adobe audition?

2015-04-30 17:12:30

I'll have to try that...

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-05-01 00:54:53

Hi all,

Vocal removing plugins or effects essentially assume that your vocal is going to be directly in the center of the stereo field. While this is logical, you must keep in mind that there may also be instruments in this channel as well. Also, keep in mind that some songs place harmonies elsewhere in the stereo field, leaving a reduced lead vocal but leaving the harmonies with the instrumental. The only efficient way of removing a vocal or an instrumental is, to find the original vocal/instrumental, and invert that with the original track. In Goldwave, to do this, first you must click invert in the effects menuu on either track. You must not do both tracks. Next, copy the first track. Then, go to the other track, press control+m, and then line the two up by adjusting the mix time in the edit box. Eventually, once you get it right, the vocal/instrumental will cancel itself out of the track. Note, this may leave artifacts, and it sometimes is impossible to entirely align the tracks due to timing differences or pitch differences. In this case, sadly, there is no other way. There might be software out there that can do it, but I've never heard of it.

2015-05-02 02:45:10 (edited by musicalman 2015-05-02 02:46:45)

Agreeing with soundworx on this. Due to the way such plug-ins work, there is no way to completely and automatically remove a vocal without leaving nasty artifacts behind. There are only a few very special cases where this can be done.
No technology that I've heard of can do it, even the best stuff out there. However there are some cool developments from the guys at Celemony and Zynaptiq that could make this possible in a decade or two.
Actually there was a highly resource intensive and expensive program called sonic works released by a company called Prosoniq a while back. It was a mac program I believe, and it wouldn't be accessible to us because it relied almost exclusively on diagrams which you would then edit with mouse commands. By drawing around the vocal parts of the diagram, you could remove or isolate them almost completely, and while it wasn't perfect, it was far better than any automatic tools will do. This took a very long time to accomplish as there was a ton of manual work to do, I think one of the guys on the Prosoniq Youtube channel said it took 3 or so minutes to process 20 seconds of audio, what with all the manual work. The program is abandoned now and Zynaptiq have bought out many of Prosoniq's technologies.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2015-05-02 04:56:43

Adobe Audition actually does quite a good job if you use the center channel extractor, which among other things gives you choices on how much of the vocals you want to remove, what the frequency range is, etc. It's actually the best I've seen so far, and as others have said, it's almost impossible to perfectly remove vocals and leave the instrumentals. but Adobe Audition is probably the closest you'll get.

Discord: clemchowder633

2015-05-03 12:12:24

thanks assault, I'll try audition then.

2015-05-03 14:44:00

Yeah, what I really recommend is, you could try adobe audition.

2015-05-03 16:43:23

Adobe Audition works pretty well at removing vocals. Obviously, it does degrade the sound quality a little, but it's the best non-professional program I've used.

Sugar and spice, and everything ....