2015-04-19 18:37:20

And here is the story line for the technical test game!

The legend tells of a city, lost…You know what, screw that. This isn't like any other city I've seen. Let's try that again. Storyline, take two.

The legend tells of a city where everybody left, a long, long time ago. Nobody knows why they left, because they took everything of value with them, wherever they went. Now, centuries later, natural forces have turned this abandoned city into a dungeon where you are doomed to wander aimlessly, for the rest of eternity, or until you die of pure boredom. So have fun!

You know what? I don't like that storyline either. Is there anyone at this company who thinks they can write a decent storyline for this game where you just walk around in an empty dungeon all day, not doing anything? Oh, you can? Great! Here's a computer, and we've got voice talent ready to narrate whatever storyline you come up with! Give it your best shot, it's bound to be better than what I could come up with.

2015-04-20 00:20:58

Lol, that last post was funny. Anyways, I think the monsters you make should have different drop sounds. For example, an earth elimental and a skeleton have 2 different drop dead noises, an earth elimental crumbled, wile a regular enemy would fall to the ground. I think you should be able to give different enemies different fall noises. If you understand what I'm talking about.

--------------------
All of my socials and content platforms can be found on my website (not ready yet).

2015-04-20 02:00:23

Okay, here is the test install file: http://endpermian.com/e2/Entombed2Setup.msi

This has no gameplay. It will start up, have a single menu of "Start" and "Exit". After you select start, you'll be placed in a randomly generated dungeon. You can move (and change options in the menu with the arrow keys.) This dungeon is fairly small. It has nothing except blandly described rooms, doors, and a staircase. If you want to generate another dungeon, go to the stairs and press the "." key.

Although it has no gameplay, it tests a giant portion of technical side of Entombed. So if it runs on your computer, it's a great thing for the future of Entombed 2.

This is for the Windows version. I'll create a Mac version if this one doesn't give me any major trouble.

Entombed 2 is using the Tolk library and should work with the following screen readers:
    JAWS,
    Window-Eyes,
    NVDA,
    SuperNova,
    System Access,
and
    ZoomText.

It also supports SAPI.

To run Entombed 2, just run the installer. It's just a basic installation. A shortcut will be placed on the Desktop and you can launch the game automatically once the installer exits. To uninstall, you can use the uninstall shortcut in the Application folder or Add / Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel. You can also uninstall by running the installer again with the application already installed.

2015-04-20 02:59:02

This seems to work pretty well for me. Windows 7 SP1 64-bit, Jaws 15. I wish there was a way to get the arrow keys to respond better when using Jaws, as I don't assume you have the option of installing the Jaws Keyhook like in BGT?

2015-04-20 03:04:52

it worked for me, I was able to walk around and heard a couple descriptions, but if it is supposed to be implemented, I couldn't figure out how to change screen reader settings. It was stuck on Sapi, but it ran just fine. You have me very excited!

Stevie-3

2015-04-20 03:08:43

It should only use SAPI if it can't find the other supported screen readers according to the Tolk documentation. Right now, there are no settings enabled for SAPI, so its stuck on the default voice and speed. As for the JAWS keys, maybe alternate movement keys would be best. I can implement W, S, A, D movement to help.

2015-04-20 03:15:09

I'm using NVDA and it wasn't detected and defaulted to Sapi. I just thought I should report this.

Stevie-3

2015-04-20 03:18:45

That's annoying. That was one of the main reasons for using the library - everyone asking about NVDA support. Maybe someone else will have better luck and we can find a workaround.

2015-04-20 04:34:47

Hi,
Just add the NVDAControllerClient*.dll and NVDAControllerClient*.lib files to the folder and NVDA should work.
HTH

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-04-20 04:40:56

Thanks Ethin! I'll put those with the executable. I've just added some SAPI features for those who want to use it. You can now change the voice and voice rate. I'll put up a page where you can download the latest test version soon.

2015-04-20 05:37:50

Okay, here is a link to a page where you can download the latest test version: http://endpermian.com/entombed-2-the-skeleton-tower/

Alternatively, you can just save the setup location which is: http://endpermian.com/e2/Entombed2Setup.msi

Please let me know if NVDA is working now.

You can press the escape key when the game is playing to bring up the System Menu. From there, you can change the voice engine or voice (if using SAPI.) To change the SAPI voice rate, use the + and - keys.

There is no gameplay in this test version (other than navigating the dungeon), but please let me know how it runs on your system.

Thanks!

2015-04-20 09:39:06

Bad news I'm afraid this isn't working at all.

When I run the game, I get dead and total silence on a grey window. If I hit space, I hear water sounds, but that is it, no sapi, no other sounds or music no nothing. I can absolutely confirm that my sapi is working sinse I use it in other programs. I tried installing in the folder I usually use for games, C:\fun program files, and then in the standard c:\program files but neither helped, I also disabled Avg just in case, and also ran the game with and without supernova running (supernova is one of the least interfering screen readers ever and I don't think I've ever seen it conflict with anything but I tried just in case),but nothing unfortunately made a difference either.

i'm using xp and sapi 5. On Thursday I'll be heading back to my parents where I have an xp laptop, and I can try the thing on there just in case this is a machine specific problem. I do hope though this is fixable sinse I would be severely irritated if I couldn't play the game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-04-20 10:04:53

Try loading it up, then press Enter.

That will start the game (even if the SAPI isn't speaking.)

Then try moving left or right. The environment sounds don't start working until you take at least one step. The fact that you're hearing water means the game is working but the speech isn't.

After you've moved, press escape, then right arrow, then enter. That will toggle the voice engine from Tolk to SAPI and vice versa. See if it start speaking then.

Press escape again to get back to the game so you can move.

If that doesn't work, try Escape, right arrow, right arrow, enter. That will change the default voice on SAPI.

2015-04-20 11:14:30 (edited by Chris 2015-04-20 11:16:30)

Hi.

When I press enter on the installer, I get a command line Window that appears for a second. NVDA says something like c and then it exits. What requirements/components does this need? I'm using a WIndows XP VM on myMac although I can get other VM's like 7.

As for the Mac version, I'll be waiting for that. Do you have an idea of which OS X versions you'll be supporting. I'm running OS X 10.10 Yosemite, but I'm just curious how old your system has to be to use this. Also, are you going to use the standard Apple speech synthesis engine? I've dreamed of using Alex with Entombed for a long time now. I hope this actually works. Keep up the great work.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2015-04-20 11:29:16

@Dingo, I'm afraid still no go. When the game starts, I get the grey screen thing, and silence, and only spacebar will begin the water sfx. wonce that begins, no amount of escape right arrow enter escpa,e or escape right arrow, right arrow enter escape did any good, I still had no speech at all.

I went to www.kitchinssinc.net and ran the delusalex.exe file which is a sapi fix that restores to defaults and solves errors, I also reset my default voice in the control panel from my usual realspeak daniel back to the standard for xp, microsoft sam. No go on either count.

I wonder if there is an issue in sapi support somewhere? I can  certainly say sapi works with other programs (I checked just in case), and I have done all the monkeyings with sapi that I can think of and it seems fine at my end.

I really! hope this can be fixed.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-04-20 11:39:37 (edited by Chris 2015-04-20 11:41:18)

Methinks it won't work well on XP. I just installed all the components for Entombed 1.05b test and it runs just fine. This file is still not running so I can't install. It looks like I'll be using Windows 7 or will just have to wait for the Mac version.

It's funny, because the only reason I keep XP around and still love it is because it runs so many old programs and doesn't have the screwed up Vista and later interface. Oh well, maybe it is time I shut the door on Windows. Afterall, I'm using OS X full timen ow.

I still wonder why the installer won't run? I'll redownload the file just to see ifthat helps. I just wonder why it says .msi.exe for the file extension?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2015-04-20 12:13:49

Well I'm sticking with xp for precisely the reasons you mention, I'm perfectly happy with xp in it's interface and compatibility so I do hope Jason fixes this error, sinse I know I'm not the only person using it, and hay why should I miss out on entombed 2 just because microsoft are money grabbing, obsoleting scumbags.

Still that's a debate we've had previously and I don't see the point in having it again, suffice it to say I have far more faith in jason than I do in microsoft, so I do hope this gets fixed.`

2015-04-20 13:12:17

It will work on XP. I just changed the SAPI implementation so it's probably a problem with that. I didn't think Tolk needed any more DLLS, but maybe it does. I'll check through the documentation. I'll post again when I've updated the install file.

2015-04-20 13:26:20

Hi,
so, this works perfectly for me on my windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with SP1 when using the latest version of NVDA, 2015.1.
I noticed, though, that there are no settings or anything like that when I press escape to get out of the exploration mode into the system menu. All I see even then is still just start and exit.
With NVDA disabled, sapi doesn't work at all, however, same as Dark. And I'm sure it should be working fine too, I'm using it in my own project that I'm currently developing.
I'll be happy to investigate or try anything if you need but at the moment I can't think of anything that could be causing Sapi not to work.
thanks,
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2015-04-20 13:45:19

It turns out, Tolk needed some extra .DLL files and it was right there in the first paragraphs of the documentation. I must have missed it. I also had placed the SAPI .dll in the wrong spot. I've uploaded the new version. Dark, and everyone else who it wasn't working for, could you try it again? I think it might work for you now.

The .MSI format stands for Microsoft Installer (or something like that.) It's a little safer than running an .EXE file. Many people are rightfully wary of .exe files because they could be anything. A .MSI is always an installer.

As for the system menu, make sure you're able to move around the dungeon before pressing escape. It won't show up if you're in the main menu.

Here is the link: http://endpermian.com/e2/Entombed2Setup.msi

Thanks,
Jason

2015-04-20 14:44:04

Dingo? bingo! Now the thingo! (sorry just had to).

I'm pleased to say the problem is now fixed and I got speech, it even seems the toke library does support supernova which is cool. I definitely like the idea of the circle and the use of different footstep sounds, I also did like the use of sterrio to show where on the outer circle you happened to be, though I assume in the main game the circles will be much bigger (especially further on). The only things i will say is it would be nice to lower the door sound to show a door that is south of you, particularly when going round the circle, a "have I visited before key" will also be needed I think to help you tell which passages you have been down and which not.

I'm also pleased to say the descriptions of the arched rooms were read out fine too, though by the time we get to longer and more cosmetic descriptions we might be in need of a "repeat description" key as well.

There were only two slight technical hickups. Firstly, I didn't seem to be able to change from screen reader to sapi during the game. the only two items on the menu were "exit" and "start"  whether i hit arrows or enter. I did test the game with sapi by exiting supernova, and it ran just the ssame, but if there was a way to change in game I must've missed it.

Second, I noticed that when i tried to run the fresh installer I was given a "please uninstall the previous version" message. not an issue, however I can see that being fun when there are save files and scores and what not.

Btw, the Entombed mailing list is still up, albeit it hasn't been very active for a while, and obviously people there would definitely appreciate knowing about the gamee.

so, Entombed! Arch hunter worked fine, and I'm very eager to see what comes next.

2015-04-20 15:00:09

Hi. I installed the little demo and get a message that the game crashed and to send the files to the developer. This happens with any game I try to run using this engine or creator. it happened with audio rally racing and dengman as well.

2015-04-20 15:09:35

Glad to hear it's working Dark!

@Sean, that sounds like your PC can't run Unity games. I'm not sure what Unity doesn't support PC wise, but it's fairly broad (Darks XP system is working.) I would imagine some older laptops might not work if they don't support the minimum graphics level. I have Entombed set on minimum graphics requirements, but that might still be too much if the laptop or PC doesn't have a common graphics card.

2015-04-20 18:47:49

It seems to be working almost flawlessly for me. The only issue I found is that when you switch from another speech mode to NVDA while the game is running, it doesn't autodetect NVDA's presence to autoswitch to it. When you start entombed with NVDA, it detects it properly though. That's quite a minor issue overall though, maybe you could file a bug report on the tolk projects page if its a tolk bug?

There's also an annoying amount of lag when using the arrow keys with jaws. Is there any way to circumvent that, or is the only way to do it to use alternative arrow keys?

Keep up the good work so far!

2015-04-20 23:58:03

Try using W, S, A, D for movement and menu selection. That should bypass the Jaws arrow key problem.