2015-03-25 10:43:05 (edited by Victorious 2015-03-25 10:51:49)

I have a galaxy S5 and to my eternal regret, decided to update to lollipop when offered. Big mistake. I can't seem to type properly now; after pressing the first letter that is auto-capitalized, talkback doesn't read any subsequent letters on  the keyboard, but does read some buttons like symbols and backspace. I've tried doing this with both google and samsung keyboard, with the same results. Can anyone help me? My phone is as good as unuseable with my ability to type gone. I also have the latest talkback, which doesn't seem to help. The version isthat I got updated to is 5.0.

2015-03-25 14:02:27

Greettings!

Though someone else will have to instruct ya on how to downgrade back to kitkat, you may want to try out the Swype Keyboard first. Below, is link to the "30 day free trial":
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … &hl=en

It is currently the most responsive keyboard with Talkback's latest update.
As a side note, Talkback 4.1 was designed with Lolypop devices in mind, not for older ones. The next update, around Google IO in May, will fix things for those running kitkat or lower.

Hope this helps.

2015-03-25 14:14:59

Hm, I am on lollipop now, not kit kat. The process of downgrading probably isn't that simple though I think, as I'll have to get the right firmware to use. I'll give the keyboard a try and hope it works out for me.

2015-03-25 14:35:36

Ugh the problem seems to persist regardless of what keyboard was used. Ideas? It seems that my only option is to downgrade.

2015-03-25 16:50:43

wowe. sorry your having that issue. i upgraded to 5.0 a while ago and i have had no such issues. it seems like downgrading might be your only option.

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

2015-03-25 18:18:02

I figured it out, there's nothing wrong with the talkback or keyboard applications itself. Its a stupid bug in the tts framework that causes it to cut off very short sounds generated by tts. I experienced this with both eloquence and google's tts. Slowing down eloquence's rate to something like 55% fixed the problem, but listening to it now is painfully torturously slow. I think it got fixed in 5.1, so I'll have to wait for that update and hope it doesn't break more stuff along the way.

2015-03-25 18:25:08

Hello,
I’m actually a KitKat 4.4.2 user. The latest talk back wasn’t really such good, something I mentioned in a post in this forum.
I don’t think weather this helps or not, but consider uninstalling the latest update of the talk back and update it again.
Factory reset might be a good alternative if you don’t mind performing it. I tried it today and it resolved my problems which were the camera failure and the phone which used to get a black screen when the screen was in sleep mode.
If you don’t have too much data on your phone, but if you have some necessary materials such as Ebooks or music or even videos, copy them into your computer via a USB cable, and then, again If you don’t mind losing your programs even though they can be backed up, I’d recommend performing the factory reset if you do not have important data. Then if you have, backing up would be a good idea and perform it after the data is backed up isn’t such a big deal. You will need to have sited assistance when the phone will return from factory reset. I don’t honestly know how you unable the accessibility in lollipop, but I myself chose to have a sited assistant, rather than trying to unable it on my own.

2015-03-26 01:02:15

Well that really puts me off upgrading to android now.
I see I will have to go with my oritional plan when I upgrade, buying las year's iphone model.

2015-03-26 01:09:27

Have you thought about sending your issue at coolblindtech.com
They hack and test just about every bit of systems from ios to windows to android some from alpha stage and more.
I just sent them a note but they would be the guys to consult about stuff like this.
their last report has lollypop with various issues but its not been updated in a bit.
They have hackers world wide, and they seem to be able to get the latest info in a timely manner.
they may have an answer for you.
Though now they have been sent something they publish something or at least who knows I don't know if they post on here or not but they are world wide.

2015-03-27 00:19:02

@victorious: you can either downgrade using the stock firmware or flash a custom rom which can be done without sighted assistance if you don't mind farting around with the terminal. Generally, you never need sighted assistance with android. After a factory reset, just wait until the ui loads, most devices will vibrate, others will play a sound, wait about 30 seconds to a minute, then place two fingers on the screen in any position until you hear talkback, if you do it right, the system will say "keep holding down 2 fingers to enable accessibility", afterwords, talkback will speak. This turns on explore by touch, talkback and an accessibility shortcut, where you can get into the power menu at any point and perform the two-finger gesture to turn talkback on at any time, from android 4.2 and on. Hope this helps.

2015-03-28 00:03:33 (edited by afrim 2015-03-28 00:05:25)

Hello Crashmaster,
I don't think that is a worldwide android problem occurring on this update of Lollipop. I'm not really an expert, but based on what I heard and what I was told, there might occur problems during new updates. For example, my friend had a samsung galaxy s2+, which was able to run Android 4.2.2 Jellybean, he was currently on 4.1.2, and after upgrading to 4.2.2, he reported that his phone was working terribly slow. He went to a service and the guy told him that the new update had not been received well. After reformatting it and running a 4.2.2 android OS, the phone worked properly. Not so much to say about Victorious problem.

2015-03-28 00:20:59

Hmmm.
well corruption of the update files wasn't something I had concidddered before now, it can happen on apple devices to especially if the net connection is unstable.
You just downgrade and reupgrade or upgrade again maybe first getting the upgrade over the computer generally I can receive updates over the air but there is also an option to get the updates via the computer and that's via the router or the phones though myprimary analog digital hybreed had a dead plug so it didn't work for a little so yeah.

2015-03-28 00:52:15

On the apple devices especially when iOS 8 came out, many people reported problems. The phone crashed or a button would be pressed, and that button would stay so until you force power off your phone. But what if the power button wouldn’t take effect? The battery wasn’t removable so it would stay until the phone itself would decide to stop. That’s why I hate phones which do not have a removable battery, but unfortunately, more and more are being produced everyday.
I actually find the option to cut off the battery very useful, especially when phone crashes.
The best option to safely update your phone is just making sure that the signal is strong.
But also when you try to update your phone via your PC through a USB cable, it cannot be always safe, because the USB cable on your PC may not be plugged well.
This might happen when you get the message: “This USB device can run faster: this USB device can run faster. Connect it to a USB 2.0 port etc etc.”
Actually this occurs to my desktop and the speed is slow, comparing to when the USB is plugged well.
Also, I think that people should get or sign contracts with reputable internet companies. I want to say that some companies may offer a very fast internet at a low price, but the signal may break down, and that leads to the same time you would spend when using a slower internet connection.

2015-03-29 22:13:48

As far as update issues on android, I have found that most times, especially when upgrading to a new major version of android such as android 4 to android 5, the risk of buggaboos is extremely high. This can be caused by several issues such as the switch from the dalvik vm to the android runtime (ART) from android 4.x to 5. Usually, while OTA updates do a good job of cleaning up and migrating the caches and system db's, for example, your tts framework bug will 99 times out of 100 be fixed by a factory reset. Alternatively, if you root your device, you can use either titanium backup to locally backup your apps and system settings or a nandroid which is like a complete system image, do the OTA and if you're unhappy, reflash your rom and data partition from the nandroid back to 4.4, in the exact same state you left your device before the image.
To do more or less the same thing without rooting, do the following:
1: install the android sdk on your computer.
2: ensure that the platform-tools directory inside the sdk installation path is in your $PATH (unix-like), or %PATH%(windows) environment variables
3: on your device, go into settings, then developer options, and check USB debugging. If you don't see developer options (it should be the option above about), go into settings, tap about phone, about tablet, or about device, then tap build number until the screen reads you are now a developer. Next, open a terminal, in windows speak command prompt and type the following
adb backup -all -shared -system -apk -obb
The first time you do this, your device will display an authorization message asking if you want to let your computer connect to the device, check always allow from this computer, then tap ok. finally, on the next screen, tap backup my data. This will take a long time. Once it finishes, you will have a file called backup.ab in the directory where you ran the command. If you want your backup to just include user apps and settings, change -system to -nosystem. As I said in my previous post, after a factory reset, accessibility can be enabled from the welcome screen, by holding two fingers on the screen. Hope this helps.

2015-03-30 10:30:24

@Hacker: I thought that the TTS framework bug was something that exists in lollipop 5.0 itself. So it shouldn't get fixed even with a factory reset right?

2015-03-30 14:01:59

@Victorious
I don’t think that is a problem which is present in all devices running lollipop. I will have to ask my friend for this which has a nexus 5 device.
As I said in my previous posts, a factory reset will resolve more than 99% of your problems. At least those regarding software issues.
So, if you have important data, back them up, and you are ready to go on with a factory reset.
Another option would be to clear the data and cash of the app.
This can be done easily by going to settings>general>application manager, swipe two times left untill you find all apps and then clear the cash and data. In this case, being the TTS, which is under use while you are clearing the cash and data, ask for some sited help, and turn off talk back then do what I explained above.

2015-03-31 02:48:33

@victorious this bug seems to be only with samsung roms. @afrim you don't need to turn off talkback to clear the app data and caches for the tts. I have a nexus 5, upgraded from 4.4.2 to 5.0 and now on 5.1 and I have not had any bad experiences regarding the tts framework and software keyboards. Even if you clear the data and caches for the tts you are using, this will not solve your problem. This is because the bug is at a lower level than the tts app itself; it's the buggy modified samsung rom, which will be fixed at samsung's discression. If this bug seems to be a showstopper, your only option would be to use a custom rom like cm or pacman or paranoyed android, which are, for the most part, based on aosp (android open source project) source code. A lot of guides on the internet will give you instructions in a matter that would have you going through recovery mode menus, which you will need sighted assistance with, however, if you install the twrp recovery image, you will be able to install the rom and google apps, like talkback and google tts, completely independently without any sighted help (note that you will need to do some fiddling with the command line). If you're interested, I can put a guide up on how to do this, when I get time. Hope this helps.

2015-03-31 04:38:33

Yeah I'll be interested in how to do that independently. What is the risk of me bricking my device though?b

2015-04-01 02:04:59

very little if you take the right precaussions. It's quite complex; when I get the time off from college, I might put up a guide on how to do it; mind you the process varies by device and variation; you can't take a rom for the nexus 5 and stick it on the nexus 6, for example. For samsung devices, you have to put it in download mode and use either heimdall or samsung's service mode tool(oden3) from the windows side to get the first stage (custom kernel with recovery image baked in), then install a second kernel with twrp, then after you reboot you can install your rom and google apps, including talkback; you need the google apps unless you want to have a fun time with sideloading and whatnot. Mind you during this process, a factory reset will be performed, so back up your stuff before-hand with the adb backup command I posted, but instead of -system, put -nosystem. You can't "brick", not perminantly at least, your device, but until you become comfortable with the process, don't do this at home; on your primary device.