2008-04-10 05:46:33

Hi,

I was reading some old topics, and I saw a link to get dangerous waters, whitch, I really want to play, but it din't work, in other words, dragonslayergames.net is down again.

Does anyone have a link, Please, I beggeth on my knees!

I boweth down to who dutst bringgeth the game forth, and posteth a linkith, so I can slipith through yander link, and download it!

Hahaha! That was freakin' awesometh, By-by!

i used to take things in life for granted...
now i have a beautiful daughter, and she means the world to me.
(at 19, i can say this is harder than it sounds)

2008-04-10 09:57:40

Hmmmm, shouldn't that be doth? Anyway, It's been a long time sinse I've heard from Sk8, developer in chief of dragonslayer, ---- actually some people besides myself are seriously wondering what's happened, especially as Sk8 hasn't been answering his e-mails.

While I certainly like the idea of being boweth down'ed to, I'm afraid you'll just have to wait and see, ---- but be certain that as soon as I here anything I'll let people know (assuming Sk8 or someone else doesn't first).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-04-10 16:17:39

ot: Dan good luck tomorrow okay?

Connor

2008-04-10 19:54:39

Hey dark, come one, you don't have to correct me, well, I am terrible at that, I was just being weird.

But, I guess I still will boweth down to who dutst, (that's how I say it dark) postetha linkage!

i used to take things in life for granted...
now i have a beautiful daughter, and she means the world to me.
(at 19, i can say this is harder than it sounds)

2008-04-11 20:08:43

hmm I've talked to sk8 recently and it seems he's been very very busy with sports, radio, and unfortunately, school.

2008-04-12 18:36:31

Ah, as I thought, thanks Arjan. If you have either a skype contact a recent e-mail address for him, both Archer and I would like a word if possible, but rather than posting his details on the forum, please e-mail me them if possible on dark at x g a m dot org (appolobies for the antispam, I've had recent spam issues with e-mail).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-04-13 08:36:12

hmm i don't seem to have an email address or skype contact from him. it was on godwars2.

2008-04-13 19:40:55

Ah, that's a shame, sinse the E-mail address which both Archer and I have for him doesn't seem to be working. If you run into him on Godwars 2 again, please pass the message along.

2008-04-17 04:21:48

Hello all!
Well, I used to host the DSG games and website on my server. However, due to German copyright issues with the sounds Tommy (the developer) used and copyright conflicts with his version of Mario Brothers I had to take everything down. German copyright is much more strictly than American copyright and I had to take all the website down to avoid being sued to death. I'm also unable to reach Tommy, his Mail account doesn't work and he's never on Skype...
Oh by the way, please don't ask me to send the games around since the answer will be no. Also, anyone who still has any of the games, you'd actually have to delete it. I don't care if you do that, but please don't send it to anyone. Thanks!!!
Robin

2008-04-18 11:37:25

robin24,
I am from Germany as I said before in other topics. Why did you have to put down all site contents if only the Mario game was against german copyright? Besides who does know that you hosted this website and why were we not noticed of the issues from you? I remember that the mirror on your server was simply gone without a note about this. I don't want to offend you, I am simply curious about this going unnoticed.
For DSg itself: If my memory is inded correct, the last news update of DSG was back in August of 2007.
Bye,
Lord_Raven

2008-04-18 21:30:01

Robin, all the stuff you seem to write is fishy

Connor

2008-04-19 01:00:00

robin24 wrote:

German copyright is much more strictly than American copyright and I had to take all the website down to avoid being sued to death.

I am German and the above statement is not true.  Maybe someone told you BS in order to scare you.

2008-04-19 04:18:31

Hello,
as for the site, I don't know why I had to take it down. I received a letter from these guys and talked to them on the phone and they said that the Mario game and other sound effects in the games were copyrighted and that, if everything wouldn't be removed instantly, I'd have to pay penalty. Because I really didn't have time to struggle with them I did it. I sent Tommy an E-mail telling him about it, but opviously he hasn't informed you, I'm sorry about that. But please don't blame me now, I was, after all, just he one who provided the sserver and hosted the site. Of course, I'm also the one who took it down, but that wasn't in my hands. Please ask Tommy if you want any of the games or whatever. And Cj... You seem to have no idea about all that stuff.
Robin

2008-04-19 23:37:56

Hello... Um, I'm acutally not sure how to start this, so I basically won't even try.
Arjin was rcorrect in the fact that I have been crazily busy running cross country, wrestling, and now running track while throwing in radio, skateboarding, and community service. Oh I probably forgot to mention hanging out with friends, but this stuff is sort of irrelavent to you guys.
I deeply regret disappearing from this community as many people do. Back in August, I forget, but I believe I posted something saying that I had busy times coming up. Reguardless, the busy times have come and everything has been great, but I've missed working alongside and for many of you here in the ag community.
I'll start with contact issues: I received none of the said emails. Robin, LArcher, I ahve had no clue that you tried to contact me. Skype wise, I recently did a lot to my computer so I don't actually have skype installed, luckily I have my contacts back up. I'd love to have more time to chat with you guys, but for now, on here will be the easiest for me.
Reguarding the law, I don't believe that I should go too in depth on this forum, but I am shocked. I can maybe understand the Mario remake having issues, but elemental battle? Dragon warrior? Any of those minigames? That boggles me and I frankly think Robin was bullied, but you don't really mess with the law; I wish I was informed about this sooner.
Actually, lets jump back to the Mario thing, if there were such strong copyrights imposed on Mario, I don't believe themushroomkingdom.net would exist. wink
Any, games... I still have copies of all my work backed up, so that's wonderful if you remember the first DSG. sad Unfortunately, and this is why I haven't appeared in so long, I don't think DSG for the present can continue at the rate it did before... Okay, I'm really struggling with this, quick break.
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, I didn't post between so long ago and now because I didn't want to implant false hopes. I am seriously considering working on some smaller projects, and I still have an almost finished Dangerous Waters on my harddrive that I'm not sure what to do with.
I've seriously been thinking about making some more games for leisure recently. Actually, me and my friend Taha(you don't know him, he's from my school) have been kicking around the idea of starting doing some work together. He, like most of my friends, is sighted, but unlike most of my friends, he knows how to program wi th some skill. If you can't see where this idea could go, it's a collaboration to make a game that blind and sighted can play. I'm not saying light up the news, this is just something we're kicking around, nothing official. We probably throw a some programs back and forth, see if we can come up with anything simple, then see where it goes.
So that's where I'm at in life... I just wish I knew where I was going with this post, but I don't, so I'll leave it open ended, or sort of. I guess I'm just curious how you all ahve been; I'll make a point of it to check back here.

2008-04-20 00:38:24

Good to see you around, Sk8.
Indeed, Robin was bullied. In very large part, stuff can be used quite easily if it's available, as long as  there is not a specific profit being made from it. Essentially: if you're trying to use someone else's stuff to make money without consulting them, it's a good shot you're breaking the law, but if you're just doing something for fun and not charging anything, anyone attempting to sue you would go nowhere. No profit = no margin for suing, basically. The absolute worst they could do is contact your  provider who might ask you to take the stuff down, but that doesn't stop you from either A) rehosting it someplace else, B) hosting a mirror (which cannot be touched legally provided the above stipulations) or C) still providing the games upon request.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2008-04-20 02:49:28 (edited by robin24 2008-04-20 02:52:13)

Hi Jayde,

Jayde wrote:

Good to see you around, Sk8.
Indeed, Robin was bullied. In very large part, stuff can be used quite easily if it's available, as long as  there is not a specific profit being made from it. Essentially: if you're trying to use someone else's stuff to make money without consulting them, it's a good shot you're breaking the law, but if you're just doing something for fun and not charging anything, anyone attempting to sue you would go nowhere. No profit = no margin for suing, basically.

Please, could you not just think about the situation in the US? Jayde, what you say is true in the US. In the US, you can also set up an internet radio station and play the newest songs and that's OK as long as you don't make money with that. In Germany they will try to sue you, no matter if they can get money  or not.

Jayde wrote:

The absolute worst they could do is contact your  provider who might ask you to take the stuff down,

That's one of the things they wanted to do.

Jayde wrote:

but that doesn't stop you from either A) rehosting it someplace else, B) hosting a mirror (which cannot be touched legally provided the above stipulations) or C) still providing the games upon request.

A and B are out of question, I don't have webspace somewhere else and won't buy any jut for DSG. As for C, they told me not to send the files to anyone and I'm gonna be strict about that. Well, Jayde, I see you're a system admin, I'm sure you have some webspace. Why don't you host the site?
Robin

2008-04-20 04:42:47

Hi again,
It seems as if I may have started some tension, but I really don't want my returning to cause this.
Because of the fact that I'm currently not in the position to formally produce games, I see it fit that anyone with a copy of a DSG game can redistribute the game just as long as they don't take credit for it.
Robin, I am only slightly convinced, but yet again I'm not in a position to push matters because I amnot from Germany.
For anyone else who has a public ftp server, I would not object to you putting DSG games up there if you or anyone else wants. This is assuming, that you don't take credit. smile

2008-04-20 05:50:08

In order for German copyright law to apply, either the website, the source material, the producer, or any combination thereof must be German and thus subject to that country's copyright laws. If  any of these categories are noted, there is grounds for potential legal action or, at the very least, legal postulation...otherwise, it doesn't matter who you are, where you live, what you're doing or how open you are about it.

Permission having just been provided in writing to informally host or give out DSG software means that, if push came to shove, no one can even get a foot in the door. Robin, if your website is hosted in Germany, I suppose I understand your worry and was never trying to get in your face about anything; however, absolutely no one except the holder of a copyright can limit who spreads it...just bear that in mind. You gain nothing by adhering to the order that no software be distributed through channels to which you have access.

I may know a lot about this sort of thing, but I am not a system admin in any sense that would make your final point salient. I cannot host software in any way, though I am not necessarily against distributing it so long as the license-holder is okay with the idea. All that having been said, I haven't meant to cause tension, I'm not upset, and I'm not trying to either make anyone look stupid or cause any unrest.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2008-04-25 22:06:59

Hi Jayde,
well, as you said German copyright applies to people who live in Germany. And in fact I live there and am native German... :-)
Robin