2015-03-16 00:30:00

Hello. Can someone please send me the old pw webspeak web brouser?
Thanks.

2015-03-16 06:00:38

I'd totally forgotten about that thing! Sadly, I don't seem to have a copy of it any more, although I used to. They had at least two versions, one on Windows 3.11 used an SSIL driver, so could speak using several serial speech synths. A later version was bundled with Softvoice.

2015-03-16 06:51:03

I finally managed to find the install package for the pw webspeak evaluation. During the installation, it is asking me for a password. If you remember the password, can you please tell me what it is?

2015-03-16 13:19:08 (edited by CAE_Jones 2015-03-16 13:21:12)

I have one without a password. Even Wikipedia makes it crash, but not these forums (IIRC I've posted here from PW at least once).

I don't actually know if this is the right link. I thought it was, but now I'm not sure:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16520690/ws3048.exe

I mostly use it for the voices.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2015-03-16 18:02:39

Thanks. It works on windows 8.

2015-03-24 06:04:24

It still asks me for a password. Is IIRC supposed to be it? It gives me an error when I type that.

2015-04-06 06:59:42

the password is Groom.

2015-04-06 15:11:45

Why would you want such an old piece of software? I'm assuming it wouldn't work with many sites since it was originally for Windows 3.1.

My opinions are my own. I try not to state them as facts and if I'm not sure about something, I do whatever research I can. I feel everyone should consider doing the same.

2015-04-06 17:26:45

Personally, it works with most of the sites I use, and I like playing with the voices. It's lightweight and reasonably fast, and designed with accessibility in mind.

It doesn't like a lot of modern sites, though, true. Wikipedia is enough to crash it.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2015-04-09 18:32:56

So I just tried running the version I linked on a new computer and it asked me for a password...
This is weird, because I've installed it on two or three computers (or more, I don't really remember) from that file and was never asked for a password.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2015-04-09 23:44:58

the password is groom. (chances are you got the program free of charge from soundlinks, the brittish distributer of the software. That was how I got it.)
I actually showed it to my computer teacher back in 2008. He thought it was a cool piece of software (not just by 1990s standards) and really liked the soft voice tts engine.
My favorite softvoice voice would have to be calossis, which I therefore use as my NVDA voice.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2015-04-10 00:04:03

Ah, thanks! It works and I'm posting this from PW, which is surprisingly fast on this computer.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2015-04-10 01:28:04

Embedded softvoice commands appear to work in PW Webspeak.
Unfortunately, I cannot find online documentation for more than a handful of these. I did discover that there is a "speaking" command, but I don't know what options it takes (I've tried naturally, normal, word, words, word-at-a-time, spelling, and vibrato... all but that last one speak normally, while "speaking vibrato" just stops speech for the rest of the line.).

I'm copy-pasting the text from the page I was using to test some of these. I have no idea if they work with the NVDA version of the voices, but they work in PW Webspeak itself.

Testing sotvoice commands
- end of page -

Please scroll down to begin the test.

{{voice female}}Hello, scroll to the next line to see what happens to me.

{{voicing whispered}}With any luck, I am now whispering. If not, uh, speech impediment?

{{voice choirboy}}Would that there was a way to stop singing. {{speaking naturally}} DId this help in any wise?

{{voice child}}You know that I can sing. The question is, how? {{tone -5}}Does this help at all? {{pitch 220}}how {{pitch 242}}is {{pitch 255}}this?

Now, let's try to change inflection. {{speaking words}}Because, with inflection disabled, it is possible to hold a note.

OK, so without a decent guide, and preferably some examples, that's most of what I can do for starting.
- end of document -
- end of page -

There are more examples on yonder website, but only one of them is an inline command that will get a response out of Webspeak. And they're pretty much all the same, anyway.
(The spanish command doesn't appear to work here.)

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2015-04-10 16:37:52

I, too, have been unable to find a complete Softvoice command reference after extensive Googling.

2015-04-10 19:55:52

On a slightly related note, does anyone know where I can get the sapi4 version of monolog?

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995