2015-03-18 19:34:05

Hey guys hear is my question does anyone know wear I can find a RSS Feed of the Cavi Cast? Now on to the battle best audio format I personally like ogg mp3 is okay but what is your faverit favoriteaudio format and your best settings.

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2015-03-18 21:18:27 (edited by defender 2015-03-18 21:21:09)

OGG can kiss my ass, personally, I've had it encode badly way too many times and lost too much work to that in the past, using both GW and Audacity on different computers.

It also doesn't play well with Winamp, which is my audio player of choice, especially when previewing the sound files  contained in my audio libraries in quick succession, since it's normally very fast on file load and program load, highly customizable, and can play  files in the other window with out refocusing every time a new one is played.

I don't know weather this is the fault of the file type it's self, or the coders that wrote the programs that I use to interact with it, but I get the feeling that it's half a dozen of one, 6 of the other, for all intents and purposes.

I like the idea of OGG in concept, and the size and quality control options are nice, but I find that a decent MP3 encoder like "LAME" produces more stable, and, to me, better sounding results, in about the same footprint, and in a far more universal file type that can be played by basically everything.

I use 44.1KHZ 16 Bit PCM WAV for incomplete projects, as well as high quality master versions of the completed product, but if I want a file to quickly share to someone for them to take a look at, it depends on the file in question, and I experiment a bit before hand with different quality to size ratios if I'm going to send it out to allot of people at once, but generally, I find that 192KBPS is a good quality cutoff, with 160KBPS usually being about the same, but sometimes not, depending, again, on the sound.

For instance, when I record speech from my screen reader to show a developer an error, and that's all that's coming through the card, I can usually get away with 96KBPS Mono, but if I'm listening to an audio book by graphic audio or a radio drama with high quality music and sound effects, I consider 192KBPS Stereo to be right around the point where I don't notice any distracting and annoying degradation that screws up my listening experience, and when I listen to trans and other electronic music that often takes advantage of the extreme left and right channels, and has allot of tonal variety throughout the spectrum, I like to have it in 320KBPS.

2015-03-19 08:22:22

For your first question, why don't you take a look at cucat.org? Under the student resources link, you should be able to find a link to the Cavi Casts, and an RSS feed too.

As for audio formats, I'm honestly pretty liberal when it comes to that. While most things do sound best at 192kbps or higher, I'm not one of these people who insists that flac is the way, the truth and the light, or that only 320kbps is worth listening to. For one thing, I don't believe that, and for another, if all of my music was top quality, I would need 10 external hard drives to store it all. With nearly 4TB of music as it is, all of it at various bitrates, depending on where I've acquired it over the years, I can't really afford to be that picky. I also have a bunch of m4a files, which I purchased from ITunes. That said, I don't generally listen to anything that's below 128kbps, unless it's exceedingly rare, and that was the only way I could get my hands on it.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2015-03-19 14:57:15

Hello,
I agree, I like ogg, mp3 and m4a as audio formats. Thanks to pitermach, I recently learned about saving a project as wav first then converting to ogg when it's complete, rather than saving as ogg constantly. It is very useful, although size wise it can get quite large, but worth it to keep the quality without crazy clipping and it suddenly going all low res sounding because well, the alst time I did this, I saved a work in progress file as ogg around ten times which degrades the quality more and more.

2015-03-19 17:27:49

From a developer's perspective I like ogg because it doesn't impose licensing "red tape" on you, but seeking to a specific position in the file is a serious pain; you basically have to binary search at the page level to find the closest page, then switch to pulling out packets and using their size to get closer, then finally decode the target packet and throw away the samples that come before the one you want.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.