2008-04-22 02:07:33

I bbrought up logd, because I know some sites use colors to show important text although headings might work better, but most of the news sites I been to use headings to show the beginning of the news articals.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-04-22 09:32:57

As I said cw, it's important to remember that the method by which a fully sited person reads is entirely different to using a screen reader. Rather than hereing something progressively word by word, a sited person will simply scan the page visually and stop on important parts, or get a general sense of the entire content of a page of text by visually picking out random bits.

I have absolutely no idea how this might work, (the very thought of getting information like that is very alien to me), but that's why coloured highlighting text is used, to make the skim reading process easier.

Obviously for hereing with a screen reader, sinse the mental process is different, there's no need to replicate the information specific to the skim reading process, ---- in fact as I said, it would be rather annoying!

Saying that though, it might be good if more information could be presented in a coherent textual way for people using screen readers, ---- for example using text messages instead of colours in the logd game eg: 35-35, okay, 20-35, wounded, etc, as in fact Sryth does with the coloured boxes in combat which represent the strength of the various enemies.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-04-22 16:22:07

maybe a bunch of us could write emails and stuff for a push to make sites more accessible
I mean we always just sit here and say well yeah this website isn't accessible and then just move on
why should we accept it?
at least we could try,

Connor

2008-04-22 17:20:11

It's been tried, the best chance is usually if one person sends a polite email it seems. Bombarding them with emails is rather counterproductive.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-04-22 20:35:09

Indeed, ---- and to be absolutely honest I don't think the coloured highlighting thing is a major issue, it's non-tagged immages, links and buttons, popups, and flash only controls that are the real nasties of inaccessible sites.

I've actually discussed having a general resource guide created, ---- specifically for web games, which would detail what is necessary for screen reader accessibility, so that whenever these things come up we could just give a link in an E-mail and say "please do that"

Rather than having to explain things time after time, as I seem to do fairly often.

that idea is stil in the processing stage thus far.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-04-22 20:47:53

Flash can be a problem period, whether flash only or not. Also really weird mouse related java or java script, and of course those pages which insist on refreshing every 5 seconds. My router has one of those for its status and it is the only part of its interface I actively avoid.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-04-22 22:55:26

I seen those kinds of sites more then the sites with the color issues. With the color thing, you just read the stuff you think is important. I also hate PopUps to. Matter of fact, I have firefox set to only allow flash or anything else I aprove and I usally avoid adds allong other undesirables. If a site doesn't show up right....

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-04-23 05:53:13

Hmmm, the refresh thing used to be a nightmare with previous versions of Hal, but from about 6.5 onwards it's not been so bad. If it's causing trouble Cx2, isnt' there the option to disable it in Jaws? Hal certainly has had the ability to do that from V5 onwards, and I'm sure I remember when this question came up before there was also a way to do it in jaws.

I'm also interested to know why your router is showing it's status constantly?

then again, I'm lucky enough to have a full home hub dsl system (it's my biggest monthly bill|), so I'm probably slightly spoiled as far as connection goes.

I don't find popups quite as much of a problem, in fact if they are disabled, useful stuff such as file download boxes does not appear, which is a pain.

I'd fully agree on those blasted java script links though. the Ferian space adventure game was made totally unplayable by those, sinse all the links for the in game objects read as "java zero" when i examined them in Hal.

apparently version 9 has had a few net navigation tweaks as well, so I'll be interested to try some less accessible sites again with it, ---- such as the lands of hope game.

To get back on track with the colours and perception issue, one thing I was discussing with a friend today, is something I think of as immotional resonance.

it's the ability to tell how a person is feeling, but not by tones of voice, sounds of body language or anything else. If there's a long silence in conversation for example, it's the ability to know that a person is either upset, or bothered about something even if their not speaking.

It's a sense I often get about people, even though as I said, I can't do facial expressions, and can only do very extreme forms of body language which are audible anyway, ---- eg waving arms around or stamping.

i'm not sure if this resonance thing is just my mind making conclusions from all available data or something else. My friend (who's a doctor of bio chemistry, and a qualified humanistic counceler), actually thinks it's something to do with theramones and picking up scent clues, but i'm not sure.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or is it just my crazy mutant telepsycho-empathic extra sensory  mind powers! buahahaha of doom!

you! wil bnring me some orange sher! bert! 

(appologies to anyone who hasn't seen the austin powers film so doesn't get the above reference).

2008-04-23 11:44:10

Well it can be got around in Jaws, it is just a real pain to do it. Maybe it should be on a single hotkey, but anyhow. As to the router, it isn't the overview but a page which shows its ongoing status and updates so you can watch what it is doing at the present moment.

cx2
-----

2008-04-23 17:18:28

Dark, I think I know what your saying, but do you really think it requires like major senses to see that a long silence in conversation means something like that?
I mean there could be something extraordinary about it, I just don't see it

Connor