2015-03-16 01:27:22

What does it sound like when you're playing an 8 track tape and the glue holding the splicing foil to the tape (and keeping the endless loop closed) lets go? I've heard it causes the tape to get sucked in to the machine and jam, causing a spectacular mess. Since there are lots of youtube videos showing VCRs and other machines "eating tapes" I figured this would be no big deal to find, but apparently I was wrong. I just want to know what it sounds like, both inside your machine and through your speakers.
I knew one blind fellow a while back who collected 8-track tapes. From what I've read (and listened to on youtube etc) I can't imagine all the maintanence being worth the (admittedly kool retro appeal). Opening up tapes to replace parts which have disintegrated over the years sounds like something that isn't fun (but people still collect and use them so some people must not mind all the effort). I love my turntable though, even with the occasional maintanence requiring sighted help.
If there's no recording to be heard, has anyone had this experience with 8 track tapes who can describe what it sounds like?

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2015-03-16 05:58:10

I used to own an 8-track player and some tapes. I never had that happen, but I imagine that for a while, the tape would just keep playing, slowing down as it did. If you let it go long enough, I imagine it'd start to sound like a broken cassette, where the speed becomes unstable and it really starts slowing down a lot, then eventually just stops. Of course, pulling the cartridge out would reveal a huge wad of tape in the player. I had one tape break at the splice, but fortunately for me, it broke in such a way that the beginning of the tape loop hadn't reached the part of the machine that pulls it in, so the tape just stopped playing, although the motor kept running. At that point, there was no way to fix it without opening the cart, since one of the loop ends was inside.

2015-03-16 15:36:22

Could you fix it without someone helping you?

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2015-03-16 22:29:16

I remember reading an article that went into a lot of detail about how to open up videotapes and fix parts of them that were damaged. It used to be on obseleteskills.com, back when that site existed.
I don't know how similar that process would be with an 8 track, but I imagine it would be. The materials used for the tape would be pretty much the same.
I've never actually seen an 8 track player, either, but I love retro things, particularly outdated music technologies. I'd like to see one at some point. That, and a reel-to-reel tape player, which I've heard are a royal pain in the ass, but I'd still like to know what it looked like.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2015-03-17 00:04:43

I've always loved that kind of thing. Turntables are nice; I'll take that over mp3 any day. My family also had a gramophone at one point, and I mostly listen to movies on vhs. I'd still very much be interested in checking out an 8-track player, a Betamax, a playtape and a wire recorder.

2015-03-17 02:34:25

Oh, that is so cool. Was it one of the gramophones that you wind up, or was it electric?
I agree about turntables. The sound of vinyl is just so much nicer than mp3's. My family still owns a bunch of VHS tapes, but we don't have a working VCR, so unfortunately they're just gathering dust at the moment.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2015-03-17 04:55:52

If I recall correctly it was a Victrola (the wind-up style). Unfortunately they never played it. I'd imagine that given this was before the days of everybody and their dog having internet access in their homes, needles and other accessories would have been next to impossible to acquire (now you can just order them online).
Come to think of it, the moder home we had when I was around 9 years old had an 8 track player, but again we never had the pleasure of actually using it (I seam to remember dad saying it didn't even work). Growing up it was pretty much cds, tapes and vinyl (of which mother has quite a sizable collection).

2015-03-18 06:23:37

I have a pretty decent collection of vinyl myself. Most of it has been passed down from my parents, who weren't using it anymore anyway, so I've cleaned it up as best I can, and still very much enjoy listening to it.
The only reason I haven't bought any lately is because I don't have the space for it, sadly.
I was a 90's kid, so I should have loved CD's. But I really didn't, not even then when they were "in." They were much too easy to break, scratch, and mishandle for my liking. Not that I took especially good care of them when I was a kid, but still. It's no wonder they've been phased out, for the most part. I can't remember the last time somebody told me they were going out to buy music on a CD. Now, it's all about services like ITunes, Amazon, Bandcamp, Spodify, and so on. Not that I mind that, in itself. I have a pretty sizable digital collection of music, nearly 4 terrabytes, in fact. But I wouldn't give up my vinyl for anything. I think both digital and analog music has its place.

2015-03-18 08:30:34

Here's what I want to do with records. I'd love to get my hands on a turntable nobody cares about, some needles nobody cares about, and some records nobody cares about. I bet you can see where this is going. Hook the turntable to my computer, start recording, and make all those cool needle scrape across record noises!

2015-03-18 12:53:28

I had an 8 track tape player in my car and a few times the tape broke. It sounded like the music slowed down gradually and the voice got lower in pitch as the tape got slower and slower until it stopped. The tape cartrige was welded together so it was difficult to fix. Radio Shack sold an 8 track repair kit with screws holding the box together. I tried fixing one but gave up.